March 29, 2024, 02:11:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did you live together with a significant other?  (Voting closed: April 29, 2009, 04:09:58 PM)
Yes, and married Significant Other - 34 (54.8%)
Yes, but did not marry that SO - 8 (12.9%)
No, what, are ya crazy? My momma would kill me - 1 (1.6%)
No, but did marry - 17 (27.4%)
No way baby, the single life's for me! - 2 (3.2%)
Total Voters: 61

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living Together Before Marriage- How'd That Work For You?  (Read 22165 times)
Tevye
Monkey Junky

Burn, baby, burn...'Ol Sparky is waiting for you!

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »

I dunno what all that means but at this stage in my life I wish I had looked a little harder!     
Thanks for telling that. It is very interesting how our original family (Mummy & Daddy) can influence our lives, isn't it? I mean, even if you go ahead and marry/move in with someone, Mom and Dad, if they don't care for your mate, can still make your life hell.

Guilt trips, contrary to public knowledge, were invented by Catholic moms. I think they all organized as soon as there was a Catholic church in the US, so that would make it St. Augustine's in Florida. Guilt trips are always written as a one-way ticket back to Mom and Dad and THEIR values. Thankfully, many years ago, I told my mom my passport had been denied, so no more guilt trips for me. She still tries, God bless her!

Maybe you will meet your soulmate yet. I just heard today of a friend of ours, gettting married. He's over 50, and has been married before. She's 48 and never been married. Youth isn't "all that" when it comes to love.

Remember Ladies, get the damm mamm!     Thanks, Brandi!
Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »

Although, in my heart, I knew the "safe" route, the very second I graduated some girlfriends and I went on the most fun journey. A roadtrip to end all roadtrips.

Oh, forgot to say: GOOD FOR YOU! You broadened your horizons, prolly took a few risky chances, and made your own decisions. Nothing like a good road trip with the girls (but avoid the Grand Canyon and convertibles and cops!) to let your hair down!

Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:33 PM »

Tevy it is very interesting that you bring up about the parents influencing our lives, it is so very very true.

My 22 y/o brother is marrying her girlfriend, they are expecting their first child, so the wedding is set for October of this year.  Well in the mist of it all, for some reason MY wedding came into question.  Now, we are Catholic, my family and my husbands, but our wedding took place in my mothers butterfly garden, why, because that is what I wanted. 

So anyway yes my wedding location choice came up in all of this discussion, as what NOT to do!!  I was a bit infuriated you can imagine, but even more so when my MIL chimed in to say that technically since we were not married within the walls of the Catholic church it was not blessed by God or accepted in Gods eyes.

Long story short, to make everyone else happy, my husband and I are having a ceremony in the Catholic church on our regular wedding day anniversary in September. 

Oh the things we do to appease the parents.  I went to Catholic boarding school for 10 years of my life, I am well aware of what is ok and what is not accepted, but it was my choice to break out of the norm how I saw fit, as you can see I have been vitto'd and my unborn children do not need to be considered "illegitimate".

At this point, I am at the humor stage of the "grieving" process.....gives me an excuse to get a new dress!!

Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »

Tevy it is very interesting that you bring up about the parents influencing our lives, it is so very very true.

My 22 y/o brother is marrying her girlfriend, they are expecting their first child, so the wedding is set for October of this year.  Well in the mist of it all, for some reason MY wedding came into question.  Now, we are Catholic, my family and my husbands, but our wedding took place in my mothers butterfly garden, why, because that is what I wanted. 

At this point, I am at the humor stage of the "grieving" process.....gives me an excuse to get a new dress!!

But did a priest do your first wedding? That's what makes it legitimate, not the setting. Heck, I was married in a State Hospital chapel (ya know, the whack-a-doodle hotel)...not that we were patients there, but that's where our priest was. So, that makes my marriage nutty! Tell your MIL that, butterfly garden (sounds beautiful!) or a nuthouse?

But, if you get a new dress out of it, and the kids will be there, we are all expecting awesome pics! Be sure and get one of your MIL

Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »

But did a priest do your first wedding? That's what makes it legitimate, not the setting. Heck, I was married in a State Hospital chapel (ya know, the whack-a-doodle hotel)...not that we were patients there, but that's where our priest was. So, that makes my marriage nutty! Tell your MIL that, butterfly garden (sounds beautiful!) or a nuthouse?

But, if you get a new dress out of it, and the kids will be there, we are all expecting awesome pics! Be sure and get one of your MIL
Yes we had a priest, he was not the head priest, but a priest!  The church was not completed at that point, it was actually not finished until this past Christmas!  LOL  I adore my MIL, but this was a bit over the top....and even worse my Ma agreed!! 

Atleast I have my wedding to remember the way I wanted it...they can have theirs I guess too!  LOL

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2009, 07:54:23 PM »

Ok, I have a question. All of your comments are great! So great that I'd like to use them in my paper.

Yes, I know at the beginning, I said nothing would go further than here. but some of you expressed things I had never even thought of. And I don't take credit for work that's not mine...I'm a stickler about that.

So, here's my idea: I would like to quote certain posts, but without any attribution. That means I might use a line out of one of someone's post, always enclosing it in quotation marks. I would NOT use any names, nor would I disclose where this survey was taken. In short, the prof will have no way of knowing where this info came from. That way, your monkey personal business is still yours.

I would only quote specific posts (edited ONLY by deletions...I will not change what you say, or use it out of context) if the poster approves of it. So, say JSM thinks this is ok. I need her to post "Sure, go ahead" to me. In other words, if you don't want me to use your stuff, I will not.

If no one approves of me quoting them, then I won't. I Monkey Promise, heck, I Double Dog Monkey Promise! I don't want you all to think I shanghai'd your most excellent sharing.

But let me re-iterate: I WILL NOT USE ANY OF YOUR QUOTES UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY TELL ME IT'S OK.

When I started this, I figured I'd get about 10 votes, and no comments. I'm thrilled with the response, and all the differing views. I never planned to use some of your comments, but this morning, I was reading through them again, and thought "Wow! I could never have said it like that! People should see that, they should know this perspective on this subject."

Remember, I promise not to use your stuff unless you tell me it's ok. And I promise to use it exclusively for this paper, with no attribution. (Can you tell I have a law background? )

Cool with me to use whatever I posted  . . . I trust you will use the power only for good! 

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »

So anyway yes my wedding location choice came up in all of this discussion, as what NOT to do!!  I was a bit infuriated you can imagine, but even more so when my MIL chimed in to say that technically since we were not married within the walls of the Catholic church it was not blessed by God or accepted in Gods eyes.

Long story short, to make everyone else happy, my husband and I are having a ceremony in the Catholic church on our regular wedding day anniversary in September. 

Oh the things we do to appease the parents.  I went to Catholic boarding school for 10 years of my life, I am well aware of what is ok and what is not accepted, but it was my choice to break out of the norm how I saw fit, as you can see I have been vitto'd and my unborn children do not need to be considered "illegitimate".

LOL - I could see my parents giving me that pressure. The Catholic church is very strange anymore. While I strongly disagree with single parenthood by choice, I did feel the church was a bit off the map when they all but excommunicated my sis for having twins out of wedlock but let the child molesters in . . . .

And do not even get me started on parents .. .

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2009, 05:43:42 AM »

I was 18, met a guy, shacked up for a year, then got married. Divorced at 21. Didn't know the difference between love and lust   

Now 42, never remarried. Never shacked up again. A great dane sleeps on the "other" side of the bed now     
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »

lmao, which one?  I lived with both, one was a SOB
the other is on close tenterhooks with me.  The survey needs to be a bit more flexible 
And, Id live with the man, and never marry him, if I get a third chance 

Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2009, 08:38:25 AM »

actually, retract that, id have a man, but live alone.  have him over for a night, then send him on his way.  im really pissed with my hubby atm, can you tell?    All the week I was sick in bed with this lung infection, (i crawled out to work tho) came back home straight to bed.  he never did one thing around the house, never made me soup, all he did was sit on his arse playing solitaire on the computer.  When i get up after 5 or so days, the house was trashed, no dishes done, no laundry, crap everywhere.  Now, today he feels unwell, so I am starting the clean up, but guessing tomorrow he will still be sick, so wont be able to drive me to hospital.  He times things well.  Funny, I found 4 empty slabs of beer and cans he tried to hide from me when i was sick.  This is the nice hubby Im talking about too.

jammsnana
Scared Monkey

One Day There WILL be JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE!!!

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2009, 08:54:53 AM »

Yes, it's ok to use any comment I made if you need to.  It was truly considerate of you to ask all of us before doing it. And I am looking forward to seeing the finished paper! Good luvk with it!! Hoping you get an A+!!!

"Justice For Caylee will come when the roll is called UP YONDER!!!"
Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2009, 08:56:49 AM »

actually, retract that, id have a man, but live alone.  have him over for a night, then send him on his way. 
LOL! Now THAT'S what I call a plan! I love my DH dearly, but when he gets sick....and for some reason the pediatrics ward at our hospital won't let me park him there for a few days!

Thanks for the comments! Hope you're feeling better. hugs

Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2009, 10:23:56 AM »

I asked for a one month ban.  I cant post in here in my current state of mind.  I will still read in here, but I want my posting privalages taken away, till I get my shit together. 

I've forwarded your post to Klaas.  She is the only one that can make changes like you are asking.  I hope you feel better soon, Lucinda. Muffy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:34:09 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:54 PM »

I asked for a one month ban.  I cant post in here in my current state of mind.  I will still read in here, but I want my posting privalages taken away, till I get my shit together. 

So, you won't post, doesn't mean you can't read our well wishes. Know what I do (weather permitting) when I'm really really mad? I paint outside stuff, fences and porches and such. I just SLAP that paint on, then rub it in REAL good....sometimes the lawn gets a little white (yes, we do have white picket fences, a real pain in the arse to paint!) and DH gets a frown, but it makes me feel better.

So, read on, McDuff! We're sending prayers and good thoughts your way!

Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »

actually, retract that, id have a man, but live alone.  have him over for a night, then send him on his way. 
LOL! Now THAT'S what I call a plan! I love my DH dearly, but when he gets sick....and for some reason the pediatrics ward at our hospital won't let me park him there for a few days!

Thanks for the comments! Hope you're feeling better. hugs

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2009, 03:05:12 AM »

Teyve,
I didn't write much but if there was something you may use it. I like so many of the others would love to see your finished paper on this subject. God Bless

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »

Teyve,
I didn't write much but if there was something you may use it. I like so many of the others would love to see your finished paper on this subject. God Bless
Thanks for your permission. I am working on the paper right now, and hope to have at least a draft up for ya'll by noon.

(tevye wanders away, muttering what she always mutters on the day a paper is due: "Stupid paper. Worst one yet. Stupid idea to go back to college, I'm too freekin' old for this carp!")

Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »

OK, kids, here it is. I'll be taking comments and criticisms till about 3 p.m. (EST). Thanks again for all your comments!
(Hey, do I get an award for longest post EVER??? )

Cohabitation Vs. Legal Marriage

Is cohabitation as valid as marriage? Is it wrong? Did the cohabitation trend, born in the 1960’s, really become institutionalized? Is it the logical step between dating and marriage? Most importantly, has it become socially acceptable to live with your mate, before s/he becomes your mate?

I contend that yes, cohabitation has become institutionalized. It has become socially acceptable to live with one’s potential spouse before marriage. I am not saying that people should live together instead of marrying; I am saying it is ok for people to live together before marriage.

I believe that short-term cohabitation (two years or less) before marriage can serve the couple well, in most cases. This can be seen as a trial run for the marriage. Living together allows potential spouses to see each other in their natural habitat, so to speak.

Short-term cohabitation can serve as that last “filter” in the mate selection process. After passing through the filters of similar interests, religion, and values, the potentials can try on their roles as a married couple.  They can find out if socks, lying on the living room floor, will make one crazy. On the other hand, they might learn that one of them is a night owl, while the other prefers to be in bed by 10 p.m.

Wait. How could Shelley, who has been dating Peter for a year, not know that Peter prefers to be in bed by 10 p.m.? Because, during the dating and mate selection process, Peter decided that in order to find the right mate, he would have to stay out later than he usually did. He did not want to appear to be an old fuddy-duddy. He wanted to be exciting and seem to be a spontaneous guy. He was wearing a mask.

Shelley also was wearing a mask. While they were dating, she always took special care with her appearance. Her hair was always neatly done, make-up perfectly applied, and she acted the role of “proper young lady” quite well. Imagine Peter’s horror when, early one morning, he found her in the kitchen, drinking orange juice straight from the carton! Then, to make matters worse, he found out that Shelley was a horrible housekeeper. In short, Shelley was a slob, albeit a well-groomed one.

Now that Shelley and Peter are engaged and living together, all masks are off. Both Peter and Shelley are re-evaluating their mate choices. Can they overcome the reality of each other? Can they learn to live with each other’s foibles? Or, should they decide to break up?

The answer to that question lies in the depth of their commitment to each other. Do they love each other enough to change, while still being true to themselves? Conversely, do they love each other enough to put up with each other’s perceived faults?

This trial marriage will give Peter and Shelley the time they need to work through these problems. Using negotiation, they might decide that staying out late on Friday and Saturday nights will work for both of them. They might also decide that Peter does the housekeeping, and Shelley does the cooking. They can use this time between their dating days and their life as a married couple to smooth over the rough edges of their relationship.

Before the sexual revolution of the sixties, I wonder how many newly married couples never made it to their first anniversary. In the movie adaptation of Tennessee Williams’ play “Period of Adjustment” (1962), a newly married couple start having trouble on their wedding day. As they drive towards their honeymoon destination, we can see that they are thinking they made a mistake. He kissed her too roughly, and she is a high-maintenance Daddy’s girl. They are both surprised to find these things out on their wedding day. They spend a long portion of the movie wondering if they have made a huge mistake.

Of course, in true Hollywood style (and going against Williams’ usual dark themes with even darker endings), at the end of the movie we see that they will stay together, and will work through their problems. However, this movie was made in 1962. Societal standards were much different then.

In Atwater’s (1985) article, there was not much data presented. If we take 1965 as the starting point for the cohabitation trend, that allows only 20 years for data collection. Moreover, since the article itself is 14 years old, I decided that I needed information that is more current.

I conducted an on-line survey. It is in no way scientific. The participants are a group of people from around the world, who gather daily, to chat, monkey around and discuss one particular subject (not related to relationship issues). I have no way to know how old the respondents are, or even which gender they are. I asked the following question and got the following results:

Question:      Did you live together with a significant other before marriage?
Yes, and married Significant Other             30 (55.6%)
Yes, but did not marry that SO              8 (14.8%)
No, what, are ya crazy? My momma would kill me        1 (1.9%)
No, but did marry                    13 (24.1%)
No way baby, the single life's for me!           2 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 54

When I put the survey up, I promised anyone who completed it total anonymity and told them I would not use their comments in my paper. As I read the comments, I found some so interesting that I changed my mind. I then posted an addendum to the survey, asking permission to quote from posts, provided I do not reveal any personal information. I did this because I do not take credit for other’s ideas, and I wanted to assure the respondents that their identities would not be disclosed. Some of the comments follow:

“I did live with my first husband before marriage. We were divorced after 15 years of marriage. What I discovered is that since he did not respect me enough to treat me like a lady before marriage, he did not change afterwards.”

“Voted Yes - I lived with my hubby before we were married.    As time goes on, we get closer to each other, and appreciate each other more.  I guess I'm lucky.   It worked for us.”

“My thinking at the time we lived together was that I'd never really 'get to know' him until I lived with him, right?  Ermmm wrong!!  Didn't really get to know who he really was until we made it 'forever, til death do us part'.   Didn't realize that death could mean my trust in all men forever. Lots of things one can learn, after that ring wedding goes on the finger.  Several of my female friends and I, at the time, realized that 'playing house' was just that, playing.  It wasn't 'real' until we were married.  And the game stopped.  It was like the guys had chased, finally conquered, were tired of it all, and just became... themselves.  For us it was like... eeeeeeeeeek!  Who have I married?"

“I have been married 43 years to the same man. Married right out of HS with one official date so to speak. And have never looked back. I knew him for 2 years before we were married.”

“I was married twice - 1st marriage did not live together - married for 12 yrs - 2nd marriage we lived together for 1 year and have been married for 11 years and will be forever we have a very healthy and happy marriage - difference between the 1st and 2nd marriage is in my 2nd we have FUN together.”

“As I sit here (being my over sensitive self) and trying not to be offended by posters implying that my life is just “playing house"......I'll try to explain something to you all (not that I owe anyone a explanation) I have never wanted to get married, nope, I don't believe a person (me) has to have a piece of legal paper to make a life with someone. My first long term relationship ended (2 kids) but it would have ended with or without that legal paper. My second long-term relationship (the one and last relationship I'll have with a man) has lasted for 20 years. This man has helped me raise my two kids, has made it possible for me to be financially settled. We both own our home, cars, etc. He is the most gentle man I have ever known, the most loving and caring and I so appreciate him every day of my life and...... I don't need a legal paper to tell me that our love is not real, that we are "just playing house".........WE live our lives both happy and content in the fact that we are not “playing".... we are just living the best that we can.”

As you can see, I did not pick out only the comments that reflected my view. The last one struck me as particularly relevant. Even though the respondent does not support marriage, s/he does support the commitment aspect of marriage.

As a Family Life Educator, my job will be to help people navigate the waters of their life. My job will not be to tell them how to live their lives, but to help them deal with the life they are living. If a couple comes to me, married or not, needing help with their relationship, my advice to them will be the same. In the end, it is all about commitment.

Living together before marriage is a test run of the couple’s commitment to each other. A successful cohabitation will probably enhance the couple’s chance at a successful marriage.
Although this assignment is titled “Cohabitation vs. Legal Marriage”, I do not see it as an “either/or” issue. I see cohabitation as the step between dating and marriage. I see cohabitation as the last filter to be applied in the mate selection process. Of course, I am not saying that everyone should live together before marriage. However, I do believe that in today’s world of no-fault divorces, it is too easy to just walk away from a marriage. Therefore, I believe that cohabitation, when done successfully, enhances the possibility of a stable, long lasting marriage.

References
Atwater, L. (1985). Cohabitation: long-term cohabitation without a legal ceremony is equally valid and desirable. In H. & M. Feldman (Eds.), Current controversies in marriage and family (pp.243-252). Beverly Hills, CA: Sage
Williams, Tennessee. Period of Adjustment. Screenplay by Tennessee Williams and Isobel Lennart. Dir. George Roy Hill. Perfs. Jane Fonda, Jim Hutton, Anthony Franciosa, Lois Nettleton. 1962. VHS. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2009, 11:52:58 AM »

Teyve,
Thanks for your permission. I am working on the paper right now, and hope to have at least a draft up for ya'll by noon.

(tevye wanders away, muttering what she always mutters on the day a paper is due: "Stupid paper. Worst one yet. Stupid idea to go back to college, I'm too freekin' old for this carp!")[/b]
You are never to old!!!!!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Tevye
Monkey Junky

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »

Teyve,

(tevye wanders away, muttering what she always mutters on the day a paper is due: "Stupid paper. Worst one yet. Stupid idea to go back to college, I'm too freekin' old for this carp!")[/b]
You are never to old!!!!!!!

On Wednesdays I am too old! And, as if that isn't bad enough (paper due, no music to go along with the paper, very little humor in the paper- I am KNOWN for my humorous papers with the music citations) I have a cold. Not sure if I should go to class...I think they've found swine flu downstate, but not sure how my cohorts will feel about me being there...hope they don't make me sit at a table all by myself, if they do, I WILL log on to scared monkeys and goof around!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.