April 27, 2024, 01:52:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooting at University of Georgia (across the street) 3 students killed.  (Read 4010 times)
Shellbell
Scared Monkey

« on: April 25, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/stories/2009/04/25/uga_professor_shooting.html?cxntlid=brkng_nws_bnr

I have many friends in Athens Georgia who are at home locked in there homes.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »

Shell....they are still looking for him.  The police are at his home and have seized his computer from the college.  Interviews are saying he is a respected professor.  George Zinkhan

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/25/georgia.shootings/index.html

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »

Police find Ga. prof's Jeep; search nearby woods
By KATE BRUMBACK
Associated Press Writer
BOGART, Ga. — Law enforcement officers swarmed a heavily wooded area in northeast Georgia on Friday, searching for a former university professor suspected of killing his wife and two other people, but the only sign of the missing academic was his red Jeep wrecked in a ravine.

Authorities think George Zinkhan's Jeep had been there for several days, and could have crashed or been stashed there soon after the shootings last Saturday. The professor, an avid hiker, hasn't been seen since he dropped off his two children with a neighbor after the shootings.
<snip>
Zinkhan also had a plane ticket to Amsterdam, and authorities in Europe and throughout the U.S. have been on the lookout.

"He's not the typical type of fugitive police have to deal with," said John Bankhead, a spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

FBI Agent Greg Jones said a signal from one of Zinkhan's cell phones helped lead police to the Jeep in Bogart, a rural town about 60 miles east of Atlanta. Bogart is about 10 miles west of Athens, where the professor lived and taught marketing courses at the University of Georgia.

Zinkhan's is accused of killing three people, including his wife Marie Bruce, in front of a theater in Athens.

Also killed were two members of her community theater group, Ben Teague, 63, and Tom Tanner, 40, as they gathered for a reunion picnic.

Police hadn't previously revealed a motive, but Jones said Friday that interviews with friends and family indicate Bruce may have been preparing to file for divorce and the shooting likely stemmed from a domestic dispute between the couple.
<snip>
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/gen/ap/US_Georgia_Professor_Shooting.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:54:08 PM »

Police Find Body in Georgia Woods, Possibly That of Fugitive Professor Wanted in Killings
Saturday, May 09, 2009
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519625,00.html
A body was found Saturday in the manhunt for a Georgia professor accused of killing three people, and a local media report suggests police think the body belongs to the fugitive suspect.

Police found the body while using cadaver dogs to search the woods where George Zinkhan's Jeep was found last week. The body was found 1.3 miles from the site where the vehicle was abandoned.

The body is being taken to a crime lab for identification, Athens-Clark County police said on the department's Web site. MyFOXAtlanta.com, without identifying its sources, reports that law enforcement officials have "reason to believe that the remains are those of George Zinkhan."

But police haven't said that publically.

"We haven't confirmed anything yet. We've got to do an autopsy first," said police Capt. Clarence Holeman.

Zinkhan, 59, has been missing for two weeks, since he allegedly shot and killed his wife and two other men at a community theater where the victims were members. Police have yet to publically identify a motive.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »

Zinkhan’s body found
Saturday, May 09, 2009

Police found the “concealed” body of fugitive murder suspect George Zinkhan Saturday morning near where his Jeep was discovered last week, investigators have told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The body was found by dogs about a mile from where Zinkhan’s red Jeep Liberty was recovered in a wooded area not far from his home in Bogart, in Clarke County. The body was in the woods, hidden, indicating the professor took time to hide himself before taking his own life. How he died was not immediately known.

The body was tentatively identified as Zinkhan’s until the state medical examiner can make a final identification using dental records.

The body was found outside the original search area, sources said. Searchers went back Saturday morning with cadaver dogs. The discovery was 1.3 miles from where the Jeep was found.

U.S. Marshals, Athens-Clarke County police and officials from the coroner’s office were on the scene Saturday afternoon.

They took the body away at 1:45 p.m. It was expected to be examined by the Georgia Bureau of Investigations.

A police officer on the scene said the body did not appear to be decomposed.

The playground at nearby Cleveland Road Elementary School was taped off as a crime scene.

Zinkhan, a marketing professor at the University of Georgia, is wanted by authorities in the April 25 shootings of his estranged wife and two other men outside the Athens Community Theatre near the university campus.

He managed to elude a nationwide manhunt since then.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/05/09/body_found_near_zinkhan_car.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »

The body of a University of Georgia professor who shot and killed his ex-wife and two men at a community theater was found in the deep north Georgia woods Saturday by a search team using cadaver dogs. Authorities said George Zinkhan apparently died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
His body was found about a mile from where Zinkhan's jeep was found a week ago, wrecked in a ravine in the rural area near Bogart, Georgia.

Investigators suggested that Zinkhan tried to take his life in a location that would never be found.

"The body was beneath the Earth," Athens-Clarke County Police Chief Jack Lumpkin said at a press conference. "It was purposely concealed in a manner that was designed not be found for a significant amount of time, if ever. A person who is not accustomed to the woods would never have found the body."

http://crime.about.com/b/2009/05/09/missing-professors-body-found.htm

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:09:51 AM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GEORGIA_PROFESSOR_SHOOTING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
May 28, 2:06 PM EDT

Police: Ga. prof in killings taped affair talk

By KATE BRUMBACK
Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA (AP) -- A former University of Georgia professor had secretly recorded a conversation with his wife about her apparent affair with an economist before he shot both of them and another man to death outside a community theater, according to police documents.

Cadaver dogs found the body of former marketing professor George Zinkhan, 57, two weeks after the April 25 shootings in a shallow grave he dug for himself in the woods not far from his north Georgia home. He had shot himself in the head.

In a search warrant application, Sgt. Christopher Nichols wrote that he thinks Zinkhan "was initially gathering evidence for a divorce from Marie Bruce" and that "the murders were the result of continued contact between Marie Bruce and Thomas Tanner."

Bruce, 47, was Zinkhan's wife and Tanner, 40, was a Clemson University economist she was apparently seeing. Police have said Zinkhan appeared to target Tanner. The third victim, Ben Teague, 63, was in the wrong place at the wrong time, authorities have said.

The three were members of a local theater group gathered the day of the shootings for a reunion at the Athens Community Theater, a short distance from the UGA campus.

The search warrant applications and inventories from the searches of various locations - including Zinkhan's home, his office at UGA and his Jeep - were obtained Wednesday by the Athens Banner-Herald newspaper.

Police had not previously released a motive for the killings but said Zinkhan and Bruce were having "marital difficulties" and had received marriage counseling. A search warrant application indicates that Marie Bruce removed her name from the couple's joint bank account in February.

A digital voice recorder found in Zinkhan's university office had a recording that "seemed to be a covert recording between George Zinkhan and Marie Bruce," Nichols wrote. "The substance of the recording was concerning Marie Bruce's affair with Thomas Tanner."

Documents on a desktop computer in the office also indicated he knew about the affair, Nichols wrote.

A document on one computer in Zinkhan's office "spoke about Zinkhan wanting to rebuild his relationship with his wife."

Authorities have said Zinkhan left his two young children in his red Jeep Liberty during the shootings. He was last seen dropping them off at a neighbor's house soon after, saying there was an emergency.

Authorities launched an international manhunt, fearing he might try to flee to Amsterdam, where he taught part-time, but his Jeep was found about a week later, crashed in a ravine in a rural wooded area not far from his home, and his body nearby a week after that.

In the Jeep were Zinkhan's wallet containing $51, his passport, a laptop computer, a BlackBerry, $1047.77 in cash shoved into the pockets of a bag, and six spent shell casings from a .38-caliber revolver, according to a search inventory. Documents with "information of Thomas Tanner" were also found in the Jeep, Nichols wrote.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PROFESSOR_SHOOTING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Jul 10, 3:32 PM EDT

Troupe to retake stage after slayings by professor

By GREG BLUESTEIN
Associated Press Writer

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) -- A community theater group is taking the stage at an Athens, Ga., theater for the first time since a University of Georgia professor gunned down three of its members outside the building.

On Friday night the troupe plans to stage the show that had just been cast when the shootings occurred.

Town & Gown Players president Eric Wagoner, who replaced one of the slain members as leader of the group, said the performers feel the need to "reclaim" the theater.

The troupe was having a reunion at the theater just off campus in April when marketing professor George Zinkhan opened fire on several people gathered around benches outside.

Killed were his wife, a man she was apparently seeing and a third troupe member. Zinkhan was later found dead.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.