April 23, 2024, 11:55:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brittanee Marie Drexel, missing since 4/25/09 from Myrtle Beach, SC  (Read 724906 times)
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »

REMINDER:  Be careful judging people by how they look.  This is the mother of a missing young lady.  Personally, I find it hard to believe she's riding the bus back and forth and not letting anyone know she's OK.  I don't think she is OK.

I agree Klaas. "Something bad happened"...

Based on the young man's leaving in a hurry and getting a lawyer, I agree ... sadly.

I remember you, Caylee.
A_News_Junkie_Monkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »

REMINDER:  Be careful judging people by how they look.  This is the mother of a missing young lady.  Personally, I find it hard to believe she's riding the bus back and forth and not letting anyone know she's OK.  I don't think she is OK.

Bump
Not sure if this in reference to my post or not, but what are the rules on judging vs observations?  I see pic's and posts galore on the Caylee thread on every player in the case that are far worse than what anyone has said here?  I am confused??????  Is questioning appearance and a persons disposition off limits?  Is it something you get banned for?  Please explain as it sure makes me want to lurk even more than I already do now. 
Thanks, News Junkie
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2009, 10:38:37 AM »

Bump
Not sure if this in reference to my post or not, but what are the rules on judging vs observations?  I see pic's and posts galore on the Caylee thread on every player in the case that are far worse than what anyone has said here?  I am confused??????  Is questioning appearance and a persons disposition off limits?  Is it something you get banned for?  Please explain as it sure makes me want to lurk even more than I already do now. 
Thanks, News Junkie

also on the Haleigh thread...lots of much worse things said over there about the parents of a missing child...why acceptable on one thread and not another? just curious as well...

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »

This is one of the strangest disappearances I've seen in quite some time.. and that's really saying something because we have every manner of disappearance conceived here in our archives.

Runaway
Brittanee DID leave home without telling her mother to join her friends on Spring Break. This alone allows motive for her leaving Myrtle Beach under her own power. After-all she left Rochester on her own.

Homicide
So far there are no remains, so it's hard to say conclusively that anyone has been killed. The fact that Brittanee left home for a short stay in Myrtle Beach would allow almost anyone to conclude she was not planning for a long stay or to vanish. She would need more clothing and more cash and some sort of plan. There is always the fact that if Brittanee were planning to runaway - she could have just done that instead of going to Myrtle Beach. Most 17 year olds are not mentally equipped for life on the road and quickly become the prey of predators. We have not heard that her phone was found, and kids always have their phone on their body. Just try separating a kid from his or her phone. We have also not heard what clothes may have been found in Mr. Broswitz's room or what clothes were found in Brittanee's room. There are alot of unanswered questions here along with no forensic info available. We have heard of no blood or biological fluids or material. In a hotel room, well, most hotel rooms are a sea of biological materials. It could take some time to separate out all the differing DNA from the two rooms.

I also wonder if any sheets or comforters are missing from either room. It's sorta hard to leave a hotel with a body slung over your shoulder, so I naturally wonder if something could have been used to conceal Brittanee and get her to a car.

Mr. Broswitz appears to admit he is one of the last people to see Brittanee, along with Mr. Haun. Mr. Broswitz leaves MB at 2 am, leaves a $100 room deposit and drives 17 hours home. Highly suspicious, but not a crime in and of itself.

Early reports were that some of Brittanee's clothing was found in his room.

Unknown abductor
Not anything to indicate that this is the correct scenario, although stranger things have happened. Every city has it's predators and they are often doing what they do - which is - stalking and preying on the weak and potential victims. Could this be a crime of opportunity? Nothing to date indicates that's what has occurred. That doesn't mean that Brittanee was not abducted by an unknown, just that there is nothing that WE know of yet that points any of us in this direction.

++

In a way, this crime is this reminds me of Kara Kopetsky. Seen on video leaving school and never seen again. Where the crime differs is Brittanee was with friends (her girlfriends) and some people that she seems to have met and did not know previously. Kara was by herself. It's also hard to imagine that none of Brittanee's friends have NO knowledge.

I wonder if any nearby bank cameras have captured her image as she past by. Or if there were any other surveillance cameras that may have picked-up anything. All should be checked and I hope they were as most have a cycle and the images are not stored forever. These camera systems use larger hard drives then in earlier times, but even so, all surrounding cameras should have already been checked.

I have heard nothing about any interviews with Mr. Broswitz or Mr. Haun. I have not heard that anyone's car has been impounded and that's just plain foolish. If someone admits to being one of the last or THE last person to be in the company of a missing person - you immediately check out his story and any and all vehicles. 

I have a hard time believing that Mr. Broswitz could have disposed of a body so well that it would not accidentally been found by now. Most people on vacation (spring break) do not know where to place the remains so they will not be found. Which of-course leads to the speculation that Brittanee is not in MB and somewhere on the route back home. Which leads back to impounding the car.

People don't just vanish. Something happened to Brittanee and I would think this is foul play. jmo ofcourse.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »

as always, good post Rob...xxx

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2009, 11:02:31 AM »

A reminder is just that.  We post reminders often in all the threads.  You guys are making a bigger deal out of my reminder than it's meant to be. 
A_News_Junkie_Monkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »

A reminder is just that.  We post reminders often in all the threads.  You guys are making a bigger deal out of my reminder than it's meant to be. 
Sorry, didn't mean to make a bigger deal out of it than it was meant to be, I was just honestly confused - it was posted by you and two mod's and I actually thought this thread seemed fair and only wanted to know the rules so I don't screw up.  I don't understand why some can joke and other can't.  I recently joked and was totally ripped without rhyme or reason and then that post was removed and now I feel a fool for even posting, truth be told.  Then I posted an observation and that reminded was bumped. 
I think I get the message.  Thanks.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:21 AM »

speaking for myself, I was more curious how it works than anything else...which threads get the reminders and which don't...

I took it as a blanket reminder to everyone, and not singling anyone out....so no big deal by me...

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »

Bump
Thanks, News Junkie

also on the Haleigh thread...lots of much worse things said over there about the parents of a missing child...why acceptable on one thread and not another? just curious as well...

Anyone can make an observation and discuss it in a decent manner.  This was a reminder for all members to be careful in their choice of words and sensitive to the family of the missing.  It applies to all MP threads, including the high profile ones, where moderating for these instances can be more difficult.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2009, 11:42:36 AM »

As you can see, Klaas responded in a brief post while I was cautiously composing mine.   There is something to be said about keeping it short & simple.     

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
califmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2009, 02:08:23 PM »

Excellent post, Rob!!   I really hope she ran away, fearing she would be get in trouble for going to Myrtle Beach, and is on her way home. 

When my parents got divorced, my brother and I were forced to sit in front of a judge and tell him which parent we wanted to live with.  Well, as the day got closer for us to meet with the judge to make our "parent selection" I ran away for 3 days ( I was only 13 yrs. old, but thought I knew everything).  I stayed with two different friends close to my neighborhood (of course their parents called my parents, but I didn't know that at the time).  Anyhow, after the first day I was homesick and really wanted to go home to either parent, but I became so fearful of what my parents would do to me for running away, I decided to stay away longer than I wanted to. 

I know that my close friends kept mum to a lot of our other friends to protect my whereabouts, just because they knew I was safe, but the police were never called in (because my parents were in contact with them, only I didn't know it at the time).  If the police had been called, I know my friends would have told them where I was.  My point is, her friends know something, but they aren't saying. 

Sorry to ramble, but I am just hoping that Brittanee just needed to clear her head and is safe right now, but maybe too scared to come home because of all of the media attention.  Wishful and hopeful thinking on my part.

♥ Justice for Caylee ♥
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »

New York Teenager Had 'Her Mind Set' on Myrtle Beach Spring Break
Friday, May 01, 2009 

Myrtle Beach Police Department

Brittanee Drexel, 17, of Rochester, N.Y.

Brittanee Drexel, 17, of Rochester, N.Y.

New York teen Brittanee Drexel had "her mind set" on spring break in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Her mom didn't want her to go, but the strong-willed 17-year-old from Rochester, N.Y., went anyway. Now she's missing, and her mom fears the worst.

Brittanee's mom, Dawn Drexel, said her daughter made it to her South Carolina hotel and kept in touch until last Saturday night. That's when the messages suddenly stopped and the high school junior vanished, seemingly without a trace, she said.

"It's a parent's worst nightmare," said Drexel. "There's a lot of things that don't add up, and I'm scared that there's the possibility that she's not alive."

Click here for photos.

Drexel is worried because her daughter suffers from depression, and she's losing hope that she will be found safe. She said Brittanee may have been upset because she and her daughter's stepfather are getting divorced.

Brittanee had asked for permission to travel to Myrtle Beach, but Drexel said she wouldn't let her go.

"I just said no, you're not going," Drexel told The Associated Press. "But when she gets her mind set on something, she just wants to do it, and that's it. I'm pretty positive she had left Wednesday night."

Male Friend May Have Been Last to See Teen Alive

The teen's hotel room at the Bar Harbor Hotel was abandoned, and she left all her belongings behind. Her cell phone, which has been tracked, was the only item missing, according to Myrtle Beach police spokesman Capt. David Knipes.

Brittanee left the Bar Harbor Hotel Saturday night about 8 p.m. and went to visit a friend named Peter Broswick, who was with a group of male friends at the nearby Blue Water Resort.

Detectives believe Broswick may have been the last one to see the missing teen alive.

Broswick is also from Rochester and left the beach town for home about 1 a.m. the night Brittanee was last seen, according to News Channel 15's CarolinaLive.com.

Police released footage of the girl entering and leaving the lobby of the Blue Water about 8:25 p.m. Saturday.

Related Stories
New York Girl, 17, Vanishes Without a Trace During Spring Break at Myrtle Beach, Mother Giving Up Hope
Photo Essays
Brittanee Drexel
Knipes told FOXNews.com he doesn't know the nature of the pair's relationship.

"I'm not sure what their relationship was, other than they knew each other," he said.

Broswick has been questioned on the phone by Myrtle Beach investigators and in person by Rochester, N.Y., according to Knipes.

"He left before we were notified of the disappearance," Knipes told FOXNews.com. He has reportedly retained an attorney.

Knipes stopped short of calling Broswick a person of interest in the disappearance.

"We haven’t named anybody as a suspect," Knipes told FOXNews.com. "But since this case is under investigation, nothing has been ruled out. We don’t know whether this is a simple runaway or an abduction. We don't have anything to go on."

Knipes said Broswick's sudden, middle-of-the-night departure from Myrtle Beach could raise suspicions, according to CarolinaLive.com.

"I have not had the chance to interview him to find out why. Obviously going back to Rochester is a 16-17-hour drive," Knipes told the station. "I don't know what his plans were. So it's hard to speculate without talking to him directly."

Brittanee reportedly left Broswick's room when one of her friends at the Bar Harbor called saying she needed back her pair of shorts, CarolinaLive.com reported. The girl apparently vanished Saturday night going from one hotel to the other, a distance of about 20 blocks, according to Knipes.

She wasn't reported missing by one of her friends until the next day.

Brittanee's mother said she is suspicious of the timing of Broswick's departure from the beach town hours after her daughter disappeared.

"I'm not stupid," Drexel told the station. "You don't check out at one or two in the morning."

She told News Channel 15 that a private investigator said her daughter's friend didn't collect his security deposit before leaving the hotel, though that hasn't been confirmed.

Little Evidence, Surveillance Tapes Sought

Knipes didn't elaborate on whether police had collected any forensic evidence in the case, but implied that they hadn't.

"We have no crime scene," he told FOXNews.com.

Police are seeking other security camera videos that may have captured the girl on film.

Knipes declined to describe where police were looking for more surveillance tapes, saying they were seeking any and all footage of the missing teen.

An intense search for Brittanee Drexel has yielded little, other than a look-alike on a bus whose sighting led police on a wild goose chase until they realized she wasn't the missing girl, but a local hotel employee.

"Even though this lead did not pan out, we are still hopeful that we locate Ms. Drexel safe and sound," Knipes wrote in a Thursday press release. "We continue to investigate all leads."

But they have no concrete leads to go on.

"Obviously it's a very concerning thing, when you have a 17-year-old with a history of depression who could do harm to herself or others," Knipes said.

Her worried mother initially thought her daughter, a junior on spring break from Gates-Chili High School, was staying with friends only a few miles from home.

Dawn Drexel didn't know Brittanee was in Myrtle Beach until the girl's boyfriend John Grieco called her, according to CarolinaLive.com. Then, on April 23, Brittanee texted her mom that she was "at the beach."

Dawn Drexel said she communicated with her daughter through cell phone calls and texts between Thursday and Saturday, exchanging messages about soccer equipment she was going to buy for Brittanee.

Those messages stopped at 8 p.m. Saturday. Grieco notified Brittanee's mother about her disappearance.

"He said, 'Yeah, they can't find her,'" Drexel told the station. "I said, 'Are you serious?' He said, 'Yeah.'"

Drexel said stress from her impending divorce to Brittanee's stepfather may have contributed to her daughter's depression — and possibly her decision to come to Myrtle Beach.

"She tries to watch out for her brother and sister," Drexel said. "It was very stressful in the household."

Comparisons Drawn to Natalee Holloway

The case is reminiscent of the high-profile disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway in Aruba four years ago this month.

Holloway has never been found, despite exhaustive investigations and searches on the Caribbean island. Three boys last seen with her have been arrested, questioned and released, but no one has been prosecuted in the case.

"There’s obviously similarities if people are thinking about that: a young woman goes on vacation and disappears," Knipes told FOXNews.com. "But we don’t have anything to show any foul play."

Still, police investigating Brittanee's disappearance and the teen's loved ones are hoping she will be found alive.

On Monday, Brittanee's mom, boyfriend and a handful of her friends posted dozens of flyers in Myrtle Beach bearing the missing teen's picture and description.

Her father, who lives near Tampa, Fla., is in Myrtle Beach with his wife and relatives and is helping in the search, Drexel said.

Brittanee's stepfather also has been helping out from Rochester, fielding some media calls during the teen's disappearance.

Teams from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children are also assisting in the search, according to Knipes.

Detectives in Rochester are interviewing Brittanee's friends and others from the area who traveled to Myrtle Beach last week.

Allanna Lippa, 19, said she was one of about 15 people in the group who stayed "in one big room" at the motel. Lippa returned to Rochester, where she is now worrying about her friend.

"There's a million things that could have possibly happened to her," said Lippa, 19. "She was fun, a little ball of energy. But she was also depressed."

Brittanee Drexel has blue eyes and shoulder-length brown hair with blond highlights. She's 5 feet tall, weighs about 103 pounds and was last seen wearing a multi-colored shirt, black shorts and flip-flops.

Those with any information are asked to call Myrtle Beach Police at (843) 918-1300, 1-800-CRIME-TV or 1-800-THE-LOST (843-5678).

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518596,00.html

-------------

Note the comparison with the Natalee Holloway disappearance.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2009, 03:15:49 PM »

speaking for myself, I was more curious how it works than anything else...which threads get the reminders and which don't...

I took it as a blanket reminder to everyone, and not singling anyone out....so no big deal by me...

Scared Monkeys has always thrived to be an ADVOCATE and support for families of the missing.  In the case of Natalee Holloway, no one was allowed to post negative things about the victim or her family because the point was to be here in SUPPORT of those very people.

Now with Caylee Anthony, we have a totally different situation with a family member RESPONSIBLE for the disappearance.  That is different because I don't think anyone wants to post in support of that.

So if we are here to support the families of the missing, we certainly don't want to be posting things that might offend them should they read here.  You might be surprised to learn how many families have read here over the years.

Doesn't it serve the purpose of being an advocate of these families to hold off on the wild speculation when there is nothing to warrant it other than how someone might "look" to another person?  Until proven otherwise, I will assume this is a family in tremendous pain right now.

And some families are certainly more deserving of respect than others.  But not enough is known about this situation for anybody to start throwing rocks, IMO.

This should all be obvious, too.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »

There is not much new except I found this at HFTM

++

Investigators search near river for missing NY teen

Posted: May 1, 2009 02:24 PM

Updated: May 1, 2009 02:54 PM

GEORGETOWN COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - Police and detectives are in Georgetown County Friday "leaving no stone unturned" in the search for a missing New York teen.

Myrtle Beach Police Capt. David Knipes confirmed to WMBF News that crews are at the North Santee River following up on leads received earlier this week on the whereabouts of Brittanee Drexel, 17. Knipes would not confirm what the lead was, but said they are "leaving no stone unturned."

WMBF News has a crew on the scene and will have more information as it becomes available.

Investigators from the Myrtle Beach Police Department met with a family friend of Drexel on Saturday upon the request of the girl's mother. John Hahn says he last made contact with Drexel on Saturday around 8 p.m.

Police say that's around the same time a group of men from her hometown last saw the missing teen, as well. Police continue to question Pete Broswick, Phillip Watson, Matthew Abrams and Keith Cummings after meeting Drexel at Club Kryptonite on Friday evening.

Questioning has revealed Drexel made additional contact with the group of men at an area of beach near the Blue Water Resort around 11 a.m. Saturday. Drexel met the group a second time in their hotel room later that night.

Broswick told police Drexel was involved in an argument with a friend over a pair of shorts she was wearing. Broswick reports Drexel had left his hotel room to return the clothing Saturday evening, and contact was lost with the teen after she left.

Dawn Drexel tells WMBF News that she isn't pointing fingers yet, but thinks Broswick may know something investigators don't.

"To me, I think he knows something," she commented Tuesday evening. "Something's just not right."

Drexel is described by the Myrtle Beach Police Department as 5 feet tall and 103 pounds. She is said to have shoulder-length straight brown hair with blue eyes.

Drexel was last seen wearing a multi-colored shirt, black shorts and flip flops. Police have noted the teen suffers from depression.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Drexel is asked to contact the Myrtle Beach Police Department immediately.

©2009 WMBF News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

+++

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »

also an article or two at HFTM that indicates the MBPD seem to have cleared Peter Brozowitz.

He was interview via conference call with his local LE.

+++

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »

In the above article - indications are that the police are still talking to Brozowitz. Earlier reports seem to say he was not a suspect.

I guess we'll need to wait and see what might come from the tip indicating the river.

I have to wonder if this area is on the way home for Mr. Brozowitz.

+++

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2009, 04:58:49 PM »

In the above article - indications are that the police are still talking to Brozowitz. Earlier reports seem to say he was not a suspect.

I guess we'll need to wait and see what might come from the tip indicating the river.

I have to wonder if this area is on the way home for Mr. Brozowitz.

This area would not be in the direction Mr. Borowitz would head back to NY, IMO

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2009, 05:09:23 PM »

When there was the bus sighting which proved to be false, they said something like it was consistent with cell phone pings. Does anyone have that article ? Same area
as the river search.
If they call a cell phone and even if there is no answer, the thing pings. Doesn't it ?
Isn't that how they found Geo Ant ?
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2009, 05:11:09 PM »

Was searching around and found this:  it's a list of webcams in SC, some are on buildings and some are SCDOT.  http://www.sciway.net/ccr/webcams.html#georgetown-sc-web-cams

Maybe they'll have some luck picking something up on one of these?

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2009, 05:16:41 PM »

BUMP

That is what this article says Kat_Gram

http://www.scnow.com/scp/news/local/grand_strand/article/search_for_missing_ny_teen_continues/46665/

Investigators track missing teen back to Myrtle Beach

By WBTW Staff Reports

Published: April 29, 2009

MYRTLE BEACH – Investigators are actively searching for a missing New York teenager who was reported to have been on a bus into Myrtle Beach from Williamsburg County this morning, officials said.

Brittanee Marie Drexel, 17, of Rochester, NY was last seen around 8 p.m. Saturday.

Several witnesses reported riding on the bus with her, Myrtle Beach Police Department Capt. David Knipes said.

Investigators also tracked her cell phone as it traveled out of Georgetown, Knipes added.

**Snipped**

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.