March 29, 2024, 02:49:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brittanee Marie Drexel, missing since 4/25/09 from Myrtle Beach, SC  (Read 722255 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #660 on: April 09, 2010, 08:14:07 PM »

I'm glad to see they have POI in this case. 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #661 on: April 09, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »

http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=12287064

Investigators 'don't think [Brittanee Drexel is] alive,' authorities say
Posted: Apr 09, 2010 4:35 PM PDT Updated: Apr 09, 2010 4:59 PM PDT

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Law enforcement officials have confirmed that they have identified persons of interest in the disappearance of an 18-year-old New York girl who went missing from Myrtle Beach nearly a year ago.

Myrtle Beach Police Det. Vincent Dorio said Friday that investigators have developed multiple people of interest in the case of missing teen Brittanee Drexel. Dorio says the information developed from a tip, and that detectives are confident it is leading them in the right direction to finding who might be responsible for her disappearance.

Myrtle Beach Police and working with the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office and the Charleston County Sheriff's Office on the case.

According to Georgetown County Sheriff's Office spokesman Lt. Neil Johnson, no arrest warrants have been served at this time, but lie detector tests have been conducted on two of the persons of interest.

"At this time, there is no reason to believe these people [the persons of interest] know Drexel directly," Johnson said.

Based on information they have received, they "don't think she's still alive," Johnson commented.

Investigators are not releasing any information on the tips they received because they fear it might jeopardize the recently revitalized investigation.

Johnson said they have been looking at these persons of interest for some time and this recent break is the result of months of lead-tracking.

Myrtle Beach Police say the Rochester, NY, teen disappeared after she was last seen in the area of 11th Avenue South and 20th Avenue South in Myrtle Beach. Drexel, who was 17 at the time of her disappearance, was in the area against the will of her mother.

Contact was lost between Drexel and her family in New York on April 25, 2009, the same night authorities say she disappeared. The last signal from her cell phone came the next night near the South Santee River.

Since she went missing, multiple search efforts for the teen have been executed from Horry County to Charleston County. While investigators have searched throughout three counties, each search effort has left police empty handed.

In a December 2009 attempt, search team consisting of approximately 70 people combed through an unidentified area of Georgetown County after a pair of knock-off Prada sunglasses were discovered near a body of water.

Those sunglasses, according to investigators, matched those worn by Drexel in a photo taken with friends in Myrtle Beach before her disappearance. Monica Caison with the CUE Center for Missing Persons says the sunglasses were located by a group of people collecting wood for a fire in December.

Members of the CUE Center, in coordination with investigators from the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office, Charleston County Sheriff's Office and the Myrtle Beach Police Department used search dogs, multiple boats, divers and a remote-controlled robotic camera to search the immediate area where the Radar sunglasses were found.

Despite using a variety of search tactics, Caison said investigators exhausted their search without any additional leads.

CrimeStoppers of the Lowcountry continues to offer a reward for any information on Drexel's whereabouts. Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Drexel is urged to contact the agency at 1-888-CRIME-SC.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #662 on: April 09, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »

http://www.gtowntimes.com/local/Johnson-said-Drexel-case--gets-hot--as-persons-of-interest-identified

Drexel case "gets hot" as persons of interest identified

Article Content:

Investigators from three counties who have been working to find a missing New York teenager say they now have “persons of interest” in the case.

Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Neil Johnson said “based on information that has been collected” investigators feel Brittanee Drexel — who was 17 years old when she disappeared from Myrtle Beach last year — is no longer alive.

Johnson said investigators have “three and possibly four” persons of interest in the case. He said no other details about the persons of interest is being released at this time.

Investigators from Horry and Charleston Counties are also involved in the case because Drexel’s last known whereabouts was at a Myrtle Beach hotel.

Signals from her cell phone were detected in the North Santee area along the Georgetown County - Charleston County border on April 26 of last year, one night after she went missing from Myrtle Beach. Several searches have been conducted in the North Santee area as well as in northern Charleston County for any evidence that may lead to Drexel.

Johnson said the case “got hot” in December when Georgetown County Investigator Chris Bailey “received information” about Drexel’s disappearance.

It was in December that searchers found a pair of sunglasses near the river in North Santee.
“Everything we know is leading to this area,” Johnson said. “At this point, based on everything we know, we feel she is not alive.”

Johnson said the evidence continues to point to southern Georgetown County as the place something may have happened to Drexel. He said that is based on the amount of text messages she sent in the days before her disappearance.

“She was constantly on the phone texting. Then it all stopped when she went missing,” he said. “It was like someone took the phone.”

He said a private investigation service from Maine has been hired to help in the case because they have a lot of resources such as cadaver dogs to assist local authorities.

When asked if having persons of interest will lead to charges in the case, Johnson said that is not currently known.
“We could make an arrest next week or next year, we just do not know,” he said.

By Scott Harper
sharper@gtowntimes.com
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #663 on: April 10, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »

Thank you so much for the updates!  Good news that they finally have some persons of interest.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #664 on: April 10, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/10/1414194/police-get-break-in-drexel-case.html

Posted on Sat, Apr. 10, 2010
Myrtle Beach police get break in Brittanee Drexel case
Missing teen's mom: Persons of interest found

By Steve Jones
sjones@thesunnews.com

Missing teenager Brittanee Drexel's mother said Friday night that Myrtle Beach police have told her they have three and possibly four persons of interest and a location in her daughter's disappearance from a Myrtle Beach hotel last year.

Drexel was last seen April 25, 2009, leaving the Blue Water Hotel on Ocean Boulevard. She was here on vacation.

Dawn Drexel, Brittanee Drexel's mother, said from her home in New York state that police did not give her any specifics of the tips they have. This is the first reported lead in the case, which has involved searches by law enforcement officers and a private organization from Brunswick County, N.C.

Law enforcement agencies in Georgetown and Charleston counties have also been involved in the case.

Myrtle Beach police could not be reached for comment Friday night. But an investigator for the department said last year that the disappearance hascircumstances that were different from any other case he had worked on. He would not give details.

"I'm still hoping she's out there and they haven't done anything to her," Carol Wagner, Brittanee Drexel's grandmother, said Friday night.

Wagner said she plans to be in Myrtle Beach April 24 for a march from the Bar Harbor Hotel, where her granddaughter was staying, to the Blue Water. Wagner said the march is set to begin at 5:30 p.m. and a candlelight vigil will be held at the Blue Water at 7:30 p.m.

Dawn Drexel said she will not be in town for the event.

Rather, she said, she will be attending a separate event in Rochester, N.Y., to mark the one-year anniversary of her daughter's disappearance. The New York event also will aim to raise awareness of missing persons, Dawn Drexel said.

Dawn Drexel said the news of the break in the case has caught the attention of Rochester media and that she is exhausted from talking with them.

"It takes a lot out of me," she said.
piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #665 on: April 10, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »

finally, although I was hoping they would turn themselves in and tell the truth already.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #666 on: April 10, 2010, 08:59:14 PM »

Pinky!!! great to see you on here!!

does anyone think that the boys that Brittanee was visiting the night that she went missing are the suspects?? there were 4 of them weren't there? and they left in the middle of the night.....I hope that her family has some answers soon...one way or the other...so sad for her family and for her...

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #667 on: April 11, 2010, 12:05:55 AM »

FLASHBACK

Missing New York Teen's Mom 'Not Satisfied' Police Cleared Boys
Thursday, May 07, 2009

The mother of a Rochester, N.Y., teenager who disappeared on spring break said she has doubts about why police have already cleared a group of boys her daughter Brittanee Drexel visited the night she vanished.

Dawn Drexel tells "FOX & Friends" that she is "not really satisfied" that authorities ruled out involvement on the part of Peter Broswick and his male friends — whose Myrtle Beach hotel room Brittanee went to just before she disappeared the night of April 25.

"I'm going by what police officers are telling me, and they are going by what evidence they do have," Drexel said Wednesday. "Someone may have been watching her and may have abducted her."

Drexel thinks someone knows something about where her daughter is.

At about 8 p.m. on April 25, Brittanee left the Bar Harbor Hotel, where she was staying with some girl friends, and headed to the nearby Blue Resort Hotel to see Broswick.

Surveillance camera footage captured 17-year-old Brittanee entering and leaving the Blue Resort lobby.

Hours later, at about 1 a.m., Broswick left Myrtle Beach to return home to Rochester. Authorities there and in Myrtle Beach have questioned him several times, but say he isn't a suspect.

Brittanee's mother finds it suspicious that he left the South Carolina resort town in the middle of the night, only hours after her daughter vanished.

Detectives believe Broswick may have been the last person to see Brittanee, a student at Gates-Chili High School in Rochester, alive. ......

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519116,00.html

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #668 on: April 11, 2010, 12:24:30 AM »

Big break announced in case of missing teen Brittanee Drexel
12 mins ago

<snipped>

On Friday, detectives announced three to four "persons of interest." They say they're men that Brittanee did not know. That makes the family fear the worst.

"I felt like there was a knife in my stomach," said Drexel.

As Brittanee's aunt, Kari has been a point person for the family, even organizing search efforts.

She got her niece's name and face into a deck of Crimestoppers cards for the South Carolina prison system. "She's the two of diamonds," explained Drexel.

She did the same with a truckstop guide that's featured nationwide.

"We want to find out where she is - alive -and bring her home," said Drexel.

The problem is, police say all signs point to death.

"Until they [police] have evidence or a body is found... our hope is still there. We're never going to give up. We want everyone in the world to see Brittanee's face and have her out there and bring her back home and get answers to where she is."

Lead Detective Chris Bailey from the Georgetown Police Department in South Carolina tells 10 Connects they got a good tip back in December and that is what led them to this point.

They've already put the "persons of interest" through lie detector tests and are working the case seven days a week until they make an arrest.

<snipped>

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=129543&catid=8

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #669 on: April 11, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »

thanks for the update, is this what the detective is talking about, how the case is different from other cases he has dealt with..? "They say they're men that Brittanee did not know."  could  be why it took so long to find them...

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #670 on: April 12, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »

Issues with JVM is discussing the case.
You can watch live right now.
http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2009m6d19-Live-streaming-of-Nancy-Grace-Issues-with-Jane-VelezMitchell-and-other-crime-related-news

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #671 on: April 13, 2010, 01:06:57 AM »

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/13/1418626/search-for-teen-not-over.html

Posted on Tue, Apr. 13, 2010
Search for Drexel not over
Police need 'key piece' for arrest

By Tonya Root
troot@thesunnews.com

The search for a missing New York teen last seen nearly a year ago in Myrtle Beach continues, according to police who said they are close to making an arrest.

Brittanee Drexel was last seen April 25, 2009, leaving the Blue Water Hotel on Ocean Boulevard during a spring break visit.

Police identified at least three people of interest a while ago through tips that came in about the case, but the information was not made public until Friday.

Lt. Neil Johnson with the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office said he could not provide any information about the people of interest in the case because it would release too many details, but did say the people live close to the area.

"We've been looking at these guys for a while," Johnson said. "We're waiting for that key piece to make an arrest," though it is not clear when an arrest might be made, he said.

Dozens of searchers have scoured Myrtle Beach and wooded areas in Georgetown and Charleston counties looking for clues in the teen's disappearance. Drexel's family plans to return to the area April 24 to mark the anniversary of Drexel's disappearance, and they hope to generate new leads.

"I feel I need to return now to where my daughter was last seen in an effort to ask people not to give up looking for her," said Dawn Drexel, the teen's mother. "I cannot focus here in light of the new released information regarding my daughter."

The search for Drexel will continue, said Monica Caison, director of the Community United Effort Center for Missing Persons in Wilmington, N.C., which conductssearches nationwide for missing people.

No large-scale searches have been conducted since December, but Caison said she and a few others have combed several areas, including a search conducted a week ago. Those searches have been concentrated in an area around U.S. 17 Bypass and the South Santee River in Georgetown County, where Drexel's cell phone gave off its last known signal on April 26.

Even though police have concluded that the search for Drexel is a recovery, Caison said she will remain hopeful that the teen will be found alive.

"I've had numerous families contact me and they hate it when people announce a person is dead. Families have a hard time digesting that," Caison said. "Although it may be true that she may not be alive, it still dashes any kind of hope. I know it's been devastating not only to the Drexel family, but mothers of missing kids and loved ones."

On Friday, Drexel's mother and grandmother said they remain hopeful that the teen has been held against her will.

"I'm still hoping she's out there and they haven't done anything to her," Carol Wagner, Brittanee Drexel's grandmother, said Friday night.

The news of police looking at potential suspects also was not new information to Caison or Drexel's family, she said.

To mark a year since Drexel was last seen, friends and family of the teen plan a march and candlelight vigil on April 24 from the Bar Harbor Hotel to the Blue Water.

Caison said the renewed attention around the anniversary of the teen's disappearance could spark new leads.

"In Brittanee's case you have her disappearing and no one reported any kind of struggle or ... crime scene," Caison said. "I'm not going to ignore a miracle here, that she could have been trafficked. I do believe in miracles and things like this have been proven wrong more than one time. I want to encourage people to call in any tips."

Many people vacation annually in the area at this time of year and may have key information but didn't hear of her disappearance before they left last year.

"There are many, many cases that are solved years later because someone didn't know the information they had was valuable," Caison said.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #672 on: April 13, 2010, 07:16:51 AM »

Tonight: a family`s desperate quest to solve a grim spring break mystery. What happened to Brittanee Drexel? It has been nearly a year since the New York teenager vanished in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. She went there for spring break without her parents` permission. We`re now learning that police are looking at three possibly four people from South Carolina who they are calling persons of interest.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

VINCENT DORIO, MYRTLE BEACH DETECTIVE: People that we`re looking at, I feel really good about because all of our little pieces of evidence haven`t been tied in yet, but they`re all pointing in the same direction, towards certain people.

CHRIS BAILY, GEORGETOWN COUNTY INVESTIGATOR: They are suspected of being present with Brittanee, knowing her whereabouts or possible whereabouts.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: This is a huge break in this case. Detectives told us today that two of those people have taken lie detector tests, but police would not tell us the results or whether they were close to making an arrest. So after countless searches and interviews, police still cannot give Brittanee`s family any hard answers as to what happened to her.

Investigator John Lucich is back with us, but I want to get straight to my very, very special guests, Brittanee`s parents, Dawn and Chad Drexel.

I just want to say first of all, from everyone here at ISSUES, our hearts go out to you and your family. Our thoughts are with you. We`ve thought of your case often in this last year. And we don`t want to let the story of your child -- your precious daughter`s disappearance -- die out. Thanks for joining us.

DAWN DREXEL, MOTHER OF BRITTANEE DREXEL: Thank you.

CHAD DREXEL, FATHER OF BRITTANEE DREXEL: Thank you.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tell us -- I`ll start with you, dawn, what has this last year been like for you, not knowing what happened to your daughter? And what`s your impression of the three or four people detectives are now focused on?

D. DREXEL: Well, the past year has been hell. You know, we -- we`ve been going on with our lives, you know, as far as taking care of our children. But, you know, someone in our family is missing. And we have no idea what happened to her.

When the police called us the other day, we were a little surprised when they called us because we weren`t sure, you know, what they were calling us in reference to. But, you know, after we had watched the footage that they had put out, we were a little appalled, you know, when they had stated that the -- that they didn`t think that Brittanee was alive because there was nothing that points to Brittanee not being alive.

They have no evidence. They don`t have a body. You know, and -- I mean, the family has just been -- we`ve gotten phone call after phone call. We have friends that are upset, family that is upset. You know, and -- you know, how dare they, you know, do this to us? Do you know what I mean?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: It`s -- it`s rough. It`s terrible. Again, we have no comprehension of what you must be going through. What we want to do is be a force for positive change and hopefully help solve this case.

Brittanee and her friends drove about 700 miles from Rochester, New York to Myrtle Beach. Like so many teenagers, they had no adult chaperons.

Police say hours after Brittanee vanished, her cell phone sent out a ping in Georgetown County, South Carolina. Unfortunately, that clue did not generate any solid leads.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DORIO: We could use that one person or that one piece of evidence that comes forward and tie everything in together to make a solid arrest, which leads to a solid conviction.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Chad, what are authorities telling you about these three or four persons of interest? The fact that her cell phone was found inland to me would indicate that somebody down there in South Carolina is responsible as everybody else was at the shore and they were from New York. So it would make it -- it would make more sense that somebody who lives in South Carolina would go inland. What do you know?

C. DREXEL: Well, when the authorities told us about these suspected people, I asked specific questions.

First off, you say you`re treating it like a homicide. Why are you treating it like a homicide? There`s a couple of things they told us. Number one, they`re trying to keep the investigation and utilize their references and all their tools by using that word. They`re able to do so. Number two, it upsets the family. I told them that. We don`t know if she`s dead or alive. That was my question.

Ok, you have suspects or persons of interest. Did they tell you that -- or is the story they`re telling you or the story that you got to get these people, is that leading you to believe that my daughter is dead or is my daughter -- do they have her somewhere or do they know where she is?

And they were being very, very generic and not answering those questions. And they said the reason -- and I asked them, why aren`t you answering my questions specifically? They said because we don`t want to hinder the case.

That`s when I know -- I`m her father. Her mother, her parents need to know what -- where you are on the investigations. If anyone is not going to hinder the case it would be the parents. Anyone else, I could see holding information from. But we`re the parents. It`s our daughter that`s missing.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I agree with you 100 percent. I mean, you -- all they have to say to you is we`re telling you this but don`t tell anybody.

D. DREXEL: Exactly.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Are you frustrated, Chad, that they didn`t give you the specifics that you were asking for?

C. DREXEL: Well, of course. I mean, I want closure for not only myself but for her siblings; my 12-year-old daughter and her -- and Brittanee`s 6-year-old brother. I mean, I want closure for everyone so at least give us some hope. That`s the only word that I`ve got to teach both my children is hope.

And I try to instill that in everyone I talk to on every media I talk to, phone, Internet, whatever. You`ve got to have hope.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So suffice it to say that the authorities have not told you anything about these three or four persons of interest?

C. DREXEL: Not at all. They`ve been very generic. They told us just trust us, to believe. The reason they want us to trust them in this is because they want a solid --

D. DREXEL: Conviction.

C. DREXEL: -- conviction to arrest them. I said, ok. Then that kind of made me feel better. However, I`m still -- I would like to know the specifics. And I won`t tell anyone. It`s my daughter. Why would I hinder my own daughter`s case?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: John Lucich, you`re a former criminal investigator. Briefly, any reason why the cops wouldn`t tell the parents what they know?

JOHN LUCICH, FORMER CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR: They never injure a case intentionally. It`s always by accident. They`ve got brothers and sisters they`re close with. They`ve got siblings. They`ll tell them. It will spread.

And by accident, someone says something on the media and it`s out. And then that might hinder the investigation because real quick, if someone knows that a -- let`s say -- let`s talk about a different case of homicide that a person was stabbed to death and then the cops never released that and while they`re talking to a suspect, somebody says that to them, they know they`ve got a suspect.

They cannot release -- and these cops, they`re not trying to hurt the family --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Ok. All right. I hear you. We get your point. Thank you, John.

Brittanee was captured by surveillance cameras the night she vanished. Take a look at it. Here she is walking into the Blue Water Resort on Ocean Boulevard. It`s about a mile from the hotel where she was staying.

She went there to see a friend from New York who was staying there with three or four other teens. Ok. Here`s Brittanee leaving a short time later around 8:30 at night. This, I think, is one of the last times along with on the road that she was seen. She vanished after this.

Police interviewed each of those young men and said none of them are suspects. Now, one of them, however, Dawn, did leave at 1:00 in the morning to go back to Rochester, New York, which you found to be quite odd. Tell us about that. No names, please.

D. DREXEL: Well, the person that she was last seen with --

C. DREXEL: He left with a few people.

D. DREXEL: He left with the people that he came there with, that he was rooming with. And had -- came back to Rochester at 1:30 in the morning. Well, left for Rochester at 1:30 in the morning.

C. DREXEL: Dawn and I both believe that he knows something. It`s not that he knows something specifically, it`s not that the guys that went with him know something. We believe one of those kids that went with my daughter or were affiliated around my daughter down there know something or someone or something that would help this case. What hurts us the most is that none of them has stepped up to help anything.

D. DREXEL: Yes. They`ve never come forward.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: We want to say that we`re not letting your story go. We`re going to stay on top of it. We`re going to call the cops. We`re going to make sure that your daughter`s case stays out there.

D. DREXEL: Jane?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes. We have two seconds.

D. DREXEL: I just wanted to let you know if anybody has any tips or anything, they can go ahead and, you know, send them over to the Q Center for Misses Persons and also on Brittanee`s Web site which is www.helpfindbrittaneedrexel.com.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Thank you both. Our hearts are with you.

D. DREXEL: Thank you.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Thank you.

C. DREXEL: Thank you.

D. DREXEL: All right, thank you.
http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1004/12/ijvm.01.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #673 on: April 13, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1004/12/ijvm.01.html
Issues with Jane Velez Mitchell 04/12010

Snipped
Tonight: a family`s desperate quest to solve a grim spring break mystery. What happened to Brittanee Drexel? It has been nearly a year since the New York teenager vanished in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. She went there for spring break without her parents` permission. We`re now learning that police are looking at three possibly four people from South Carolina who they are calling persons of interest.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

VINCENT DORIO, MYRTLE BEACH DETECTIVE: People that we`re looking at, I feel really good about because all of our little pieces of evidence haven`t been tied in yet, but they`re all pointing in the same direction, towards certain people.

CHRIS BAILY, GEORGETOWN COUNTY INVESTIGATOR: They are suspected of being present with Brittanee, knowing her whereabouts or possible whereabouts.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: This is a huge break in this case. Detectives told us today that two of those people have taken lie detector tests, but police would not tell us the results or whether they were close to making an arrest. So after countless searches and interviews, police still cannot give Brittanee`s family any hard answers as to what happened to her.

Investigator John Lucich is back with us, but I want to get straight to my very, very special guests, Brittanee`s parents, Dawn and Chad Drexel.

I just want to say first of all, from everyone here at ISSUES, our hearts go out to you and your family. Our thoughts are with you. We`ve thought of your case often in this last year. And we don`t want to let the story of your child -- your precious daughter`s disappearance -- die out. Thanks for joining us.

DAWN DREXEL, MOTHER OF BRITTANEE DREXEL: Thank you.

CHAD DREXEL, FATHER OF BRITTANEE DREXEL: Thank you.
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tell us -- I`ll start with you, dawn, what has this last year been like for you, not knowing what happened to your daughter? And what`s your impression of the three or four people detectives are now focused on?

D. DREXEL: Well, the past year has been hell. You know, we -- we`ve been going on with our lives, you know, as far as taking care of our children. But, you know, someone in our family is missing. And we have no idea what happened to her.

When the police called us the other day, we were a little surprised when they called us because we weren`t sure, you know, what they were calling us in reference to. But, you know, after we had watched the footage that they had put out, we were a little appalled, you know, when they had stated that the -- that they didn`t think that Brittanee was alive because there was nothing that points to Brittanee not being alive.

They have no evidence. They don`t have a body. You know, and -- I mean, the family has just been -- we`ve gotten phone call after phone call. We have friends that are upset, family that is upset. You know, and -- you know, how dare they, you know, do this to us? Do you know what I mean?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: It`s -- it`s rough. It`s terrible. Again, we have no comprehension of what you must be going through. What we want to do is be a force for positive change and hopefully help solve this case.

Brittanee and her friends drove about 700 miles from Rochester, New York to Myrtle Beach. Like so many teenagers, they had no adult chaperons.

Police say hours after Brittanee vanished, her cell phone sent out a ping in Georgetown County, South Carolina. Unfortunately, that clue did not generate any solid leads.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DORIO: We could use that one person or that one piece of evidence that comes forward and tie everything in together to make a solid arrest, which leads to a solid conviction.

(END VIDEO CLIP)
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Chad, what are authorities telling you about these three or four persons of interest? The fact that her cell phone was found inland to me would indicate that somebody down there in South Carolina is responsible as everybody else was at the shore and they were from New York. So it would make it -- it would make more sense that somebody who lives in South Carolina would go inland. What do you know?

C. DREXEL: Well, when the authorities told us about these suspected people, I asked specific questions.

First off, you say you`re treating it like a homicide. Why are you treating it like a homicide? There`s a couple of things they told us. Number one, they`re trying to keep the investigation and utilize their references and all their tools by using that word. They`re able to do so. Number two, it upsets the family. I told them that. We don`t know if she`s dead or alive. That was my question.

Ok, you have suspects or persons of interest. Did they tell you that -- or is the story they`re telling you or the story that you got to get these people, is that leading you to believe that my daughter is dead or is my daughter -- do they have her somewhere or do they know where she is?

And they were being very, very generic and not answering those questions. And they said the reason -- and I asked them, why aren`t you answering my questions specifically? They said because we don`t want to hinder the case.

That`s when I know -- I`m her father. Her mother, her parents need to know what -- where you are on the investigations. If anyone is not going to hinder the case it would be the parents. Anyone else, I could see holding information from. But we`re the parents. It`s our daughter that`s missing.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I agree with you 100 percent. I mean, you -- all they have to say to you is we`re telling you this but don`t tell anybody.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Are you frustrated, Chad, that they didn`t give you the specifics that you were asking for?

C. DREXEL: Well, of course. I mean, I want closure for not only myself but for her siblings; my 12-year-old daughter and her -- and Brittanee`s 6-year-old brother. I mean, I want closure for everyone so at least give us some hope. That`s the only word that I`ve got to teach both my children is hope.
And I try to instill that in everyone I talk to on every media I talk to, phone, Internet, whatever. You`ve got to have hope.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So suffice it to say that the authorities have not told you anything about these three or four persons of interest?

C. DREXEL: Not at all. They`ve been very generic. They told us just trust us, to believe. The reason they want us to trust them in this is because they want a solid --

D. DREXEL: Conviction.

C. DREXEL: -- conviction to arrest them. I said, ok. Then that kind of made me feel better. However, I`m still -- I would like to know the specifics. And I won`t tell anyone. It`s my daughter. Why would I hinder my own daughter`s case?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: John Lucich, you`re a former criminal investigator. Briefly, any reason why the cops wouldn`t tell the parents what they know?

JOHN LUCICH, FORMER CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR: They never injure a case intentionally. It`s always by accident. They`ve got brothers and sisters they`re close with. They`ve got siblings. They`ll tell them. It will spread.

And by accident, someone says something on the media and it`s out. And then that might hinder the investigation because real quick, if someone knows that a -- let`s say -- let`s talk about a different case of homicide that a person was stabbed to death and then the cops never released that and while they`re talking to a suspect, somebody says that to them, they know they`ve got a suspect.

They cannot release -- and these cops, they`re not trying to hurt the family --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Ok. All right. I hear you. We get your point. Thank you, John.
Brittanee was captured by surveillance cameras the night she vanished. Take a look at it. Here she is walking into the Blue Water Resort on Ocean Boulevard. It`s about a mile from the hotel where she was staying.

She went there to see a friend from New York who was staying there with three or four other teens. Ok. Here`s Brittanee leaving a short time later around 8:30 at night. This, I think, is one of the last times along with on the road that she was seen. She vanished after this.

Police interviewed each of those young men and said none of them are suspects. Now, one of them, however, Dawn, did leave at 1:00 in the morning to go back to Rochester, New York, which you found to be quite odd. Tell us about that. No names, please.

D. DREXEL: Well, the person that she was last seen with --

C. DREXEL: He left with a few people.

D. DREXEL: He left with the people that he came there with, that he was rooming with. And had -- came back to Rochester at 1:30 in the morning. Well, left for Rochester at 1:30 in the morning.

C. DREXEL: Dawn and I both believe that he knows something. It`s not that he knows something specifically, it`s not that the guys that went with him know something. We believe one of those kids that went with my daughter or were affiliated around my daughter down there know something or someone or something that would help this case. What hurts us the most is that none of them has stepped up to help anything.

D. DREXEL: Yes. They`ve never come forward.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: We want to say that we`re not letting your story go. We`re going to stay on top of it. We`re going to call the cops. We`re going to make sure that your daughter`s case stays out there.

D. DREXEL: Jane?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes. We have two seconds.
D. DREXEL: I just wanted to let you know if anybody has any tips or anything, they can go ahead and, you know, send them over to the Q Center for Misses Persons and also on Brittanee`s Web site which is www.helpfindbrittaneedrexel.com.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Thank you both. Our hearts are with you.

D. DREXEL: Thank you.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Thank you.

C. DREXEL: Thank you.

D. DREXEL: All right, thank you.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #674 on: April 13, 2010, 07:24:47 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sierra1947#p/a/u/0/8Y1UXlWeqXE
Issues With JaneVelez Mitchell  04/12/10

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #675 on: April 13, 2010, 07:26:27 AM »

Date on first post should read  04/12/10     

~ Peter Frampton
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #676 on: April 13, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »

Saw this when I was reading about Nadia Bloom, thought I would post it. Skeletal remains found in Florida? The girl is said to be an older teen about 5ft tall, they show hair that is still on the ground and it looks blond. Could this be Brittanee?

http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-human-jawbone-100410,0,4606691.story
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #677 on: April 13, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »

Saw this when I was reading about Nadia Bloom, thought I would post it. Skeletal remains found in Florida? The girl is said to be an older teen about 5ft tall, they show hair that is still on the ground and it looks blond. Could this be Brittanee?

Thank you for the link, Tracygirl. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #678 on: April 13, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »

Anything is possible, but this is doubtful, imo. The distance is 658 miles

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #679 on: April 13, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.