April 20, 2024, 12:03:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #819 5/17/09 - 6/10/09  (Read 322136 times)
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1100 on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:51 PM »

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_57125.php

Google translation:

Aruba

No new prosecutor Holloway case

May 26, 2009, 17:37 (GMT -04:00)

ORANGE CITY - Prosecutor Elivia Lugo remains the investigation of missing American teenager Natalee Holloway lead. The spokesmen after the departure of chief officer Hans Mos by Attorney-General (PG) Rob Pietersz.

Contrary to what Dutch media said, the new chief officer is not the research result. The spokesmen is thus the PG because he believes that the Public Prosecutor (OM) in the Holloway case and other investigations the press' access to detail has given. "I have a different view on press matters. I deny the link between the OM and the press and also not very good. But we must be careful as the place to make you aware that not all companies details a study at any time to give prices. That must be very close to be taken, because everyone has the right to privacy. "

Pietersz was thus that the Holloway case too many details of the investigation are given in more so by head officer Hans Mos. "Look, you can have some suspicions as for police, but the question is whether or not such suspicions should also share with the whole community." Rumors that circulated that Mos leave because botert it is not between him and the new PG, Pietersz Points off. "It is too much said that I have is that he leaves. I can guarantee that no sanction against him has been. "Mos leave it because the Public Prosecutor General has asked him if kwartiermaker and possibly the first head of the new officer for St. Maarten. Meanwhile, a new chief officer (and Advocate General) in the Netherlands found. This will soon be proposed.

The PG says however that the outgoing principal officer has approached several times, including certain statements. And on the admission of foreign agencies, which Pietersz is that much more reticent to deal should have been. This is great investigative bodies such as the FBI, but also agencies such as recently by Dave Holloway, Natalee's father, which was enabled on the island with a ranger was sought.
"They have no powers here. You should also double into, because you could own people to run and your feet so watch out for their own people not to move aside. "The PG has recently been with the American consul had spoken earlier and sent a letter so that the authorities in their own country at the height could make. The message is that Aruba is not some foreign, including American, investigation may operate without prior request to the PG. "So that in the Convention on Mutual Assistance between the United States and the Netherlands. We must respect otherwise you get this wild scenes, all the authorities and people for their own feet to walk. "

Leading Saturday, May 30 is the four years since Natalee disappeared in Aruba. The criminal investigation is still ongoing.

I'm going to add the original text here and hope that Cageman or Caesu might stop by and clarify what Robert Pietersz states in the above article.  The translation was a bit lacking IMO.
Thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to clarify for us! 

an angelic monkey 

PG Robert Pietersz is taking over the contacts with the media from the public prosecutor.
he says in the past the public prosecutor (Mos) has given to much detailed information to the media.
also Mos shouldn't have invited the FBI or allowed Dave Holloway to investigate.
they don't have jurisdiction and are only getting in the way of ALE.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1101 on: May 26, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »

Thank you caesu! 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1102 on: May 26, 2009, 06:43:44 PM »

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_57129.php

Google translation:

Aruba

Research on governance to Aruba

May 26, 2009, 17:42 (GMT -04:00)

Email this article
  Print this article

ORANGE CITY / THE HAGUE - A study of the administration at Aruba. This was State Secretary of Kingdom Relations Ank Bijleveld-Schouten (CDA) today know in a letter to the Lower House. The reign wife in the letter a number of observations about the process on the island and believes that a combination of signals so worrying is that there is a research institute to do a more complete picture of the state of the board of Aruba to obtain. Based on the results of that investigation, the Secretary of State to see if further action should be taken and at what level that should happen.

by our correspondent
Christel of Bebber

During a debate in the Senate last week said Bijleveld to worry about the state of governance in Aruba. In the letter today to the Lower House, it sent a few observations from which they drew the conclusion to an inquiry. For example, the Public Prosecutor (OM) is insufficient focus on the prosecution of criminal offenses. That is the proper role of the OM, but is compromised by including understaffing. The Agricultural Research shows so heavily burdened by corruption investigations that other issues on the shelf, according to the State.

The Public Prosecutor in Oranjestad hear six prosecutors have. There are only four. "Not because there is not enough suitable candidates, but because a discussion about the salary," says the letter to the Board of Bijleveld. Furthermore, the boss of the OM, the Attorney-General, so long lost to difficult issues and to solving discussions with the Netherlands that he hardly deserves prosecution. "This, combined with the relatively large number of reports on corruption in politics and bureaucracy that worries me," writes Bijleveld. "The proper function of the OM is one of the pillars of the rule of law."

Common Court
Another pillar in the State are concerned, the judiciary. This has been against Prime Minister Oduber said. Bijleveld points out that the Court barely Aruba them has worked on the creation of a Common Court of Justice. Ultimately, Aruba or agreed with most of the bill that allows Common Court.

A shortage of staff is also in prison. Bijleveld notes that the situation in the police cells and prison over the past two years has improved after the visit of the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT). The physical conditions are addressed. But she has also seen that there are insufficient qualified personnel and that the treatment of prisoners still to be desired. Her biggest concern in this area remains the vreemdelingendetentie. Last August showed that since the visit of the CPT no point improvement was made.

The aliens chain function properly. The various organizations along each other and the division is not consistent with the statutory powers. Because the laws and regulations are not always clear and consistently interpreted, is arbitrary in wait. "It is that Aruba really significant and visible improvements to make," said Bijleveld, in its letter.
Also on democracy Bijleveld comments. "The controlling function of parliament is not always well. Thus has it that Statenleden questions remain unanswered or that a lack of public debate. I also see that the opposition-initiated legislation is debated in the States. "She points out that this situation is that only the inside can be resolved.
Some events from 1993 on a well-functioning public administration are not yet implemented. "I consider it very important that in any case the agreement on party funding and the establishment of an independent complaints body still be achieved," said Bijleveld.

Transparency
There are no known cases in the State of corruption that are not already in research in the OM. "However, by lack of transparency in decision-making in sensitive cases the lack of interest or appearance of corruption should be eliminated," said Bijleveld. The Secretary of State has said that further research is needed in Aruba. In this letter they repeat that again. There currently performs consulting the Aruban government. The new research should show whether additional measures are needed. Wednesday meets the Netherlands Antillean and Aruban Affairs on the state of governance in the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba.

Aruban politicians aren't happy about this (so it must be a good move by Bijleveld):
http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/printer_57128.php

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1103 on: May 26, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »

The Hague to investigate
state of Aruba government

THE HAGUE--Dutch State Secretary of Kingdom Relations Ank Bijleveld-Schouten is initiating a broad, independent scientific study into the quality and the possible wrong-doings of the Aruban Government.

Bijleveld-Schouten announced this during a meeting with the First Chamber on Tuesday. Various members of the Chamber had voiced their concerns about the maintenance of law and order and good governance on Aruba. Senators reported that during their visit to the island in January this year, they were informed about possible misuse of power by government, corruption and intimidation.

Senator Frank van Kappen of the liberal democratic VVD party explained that the Dutch delegation was approached several times by citizens who said the integrity of Aruba’s government was lacking. “We could not determine whether these accusations were based on the truth or rumours. But it is a fact that these accusations of corruption, nepotism and intimidation came from Arubans of all layers of society,” he said.

Seeing that these accusations create tension which adversely affects the relations between the Netherlands and Aruba, Van Kappen suggested initiating an independent study to “separate fact from fiction.” The Dutch Government in any case should not lean back on this matter, but take the bull by the horns. That is also in the interest of Aruba because a reputation as a safe and well-managed country is crucial for the tourism industry,” said Van Kappen.

There is a lot amiss in Aruba, said Senator Marijke Linthorst of the labour party PvdA. “There is no compulsory education, the economy is kept largely going by many illegal and underpaid labourers, while a part of the population is unemployed and there are stubborn rumours about corruption. That is not good for the image of Aruba and of the Kingdom,” she said.

Linthorst explained that citizens are afraid to voice their criticism publicly and therefore these people should be heard under oath as part of a study. Investigators should also be able to have access to confidential material. Otherwise such a study was of no use, she added.

According to Linthorst, the study was crucial to determine whether there was truth to the accusations and reports. “There are two possibilities: the rumours are correct and corruption is tackled, or the rumours are incorrect and the accusations are refuted for once and for all,” she said.

State Secretary Bijleveld-Schouten said she shared the concerns of the Senators. The state of governance is a point of concern,” she said, announcing that she would be discussing a memo on this issue with the Second Chamber next Wednesday. The Second Chamber had asked for a memo on the state of affairs on Aruba earlier this year.

Bijleveld-Schouten said a more in-depth study was necessary, a scientific study comparable to the study by the Dutch scientific research centre WODC on St. Maarten. But the study should not take as long as the one about St. Maarten which took some three years to be completed. She said this study had to be done at a faster pace and should take about half a year to complete.

Bijleveld-Schouten agreed with Senator Linthorst that “all information should surface” and she said she would look at the possibility to have people heard under oath. The majority of the factions in the First Chamber expressed their support for the study and were happy to note that the State Secretary was taking the situation in Aruba seriously.
http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/m004/arubam004.html

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1104 on: May 26, 2009, 06:50:10 PM »

It seems like after four years Pietersz might welcome assistance from the FBI!

I can understand not wanting an independent person like Golba using the fire hose again, but at this point it seems like all efforts would be made to resolve the case.  I don't see how the FBI could possibly "get in the way"...unless there are things he doesn't want investigated or revealed.

JMO

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1105 on: May 26, 2009, 06:53:51 PM »

Thanks again caesu!   

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1106 on: May 26, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »

I can understand not wanting an independent person like Golba using the fire hose again, but at this point it seems like all efforts would be made to resolve the case.  I don't see how the FBI could possibly "get in the way"...unless there are things he doesn't want investigated or revealed.

JMO

I agree! It will be "business as usual" in Aruba.    At least we know from the beginning that Aruba is going to do NOTHING   this time either.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1107 on: May 26, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »

The Hague, The Netherlands, 25th of June 2008

Dear mrs Beth Twitty,

I, Carlos Severino Tromp, am the builder, owner, and writer of the Dutch website:
www. koninginnlwatismensenrechten.com and I want to apologise to you through this letter for the injustice the ministry injustice of Aruba has done to you, because injustice is not justice. I understand your pain and meekness as a human being and mother of Nathalee Holloway, and I also want to express my support for you, because you have lost the battle, but not the war!

In my country of birth Aruba, there is, alas, no justice because the government of Nelson Orlando Oduber, Prime Minister of Aruba is corrupt; the eleven puppet members of parliament, and their president, mrs Marvin Wyatt-Ras, are nothing more than puppets who protect corruption.

The Public Prosecuting Agency of Aruba (OM) Havenstraat #2, Oranjestad, Aruba, is a political organisation & corrupt and together with the communal Court of the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba they have degenerated into a house of worship of Satan.

Also the very corrupt crown civil servants, the Public Prosecutors General, violators of human rights:Mr. Drs. Teresa Diana Croes Fernandez Pedra and the monster Mr Elvira Lugo, who on a daily basis violates justice and human rights, (it is namely not for nothing that the now former commissary of police and inspector, Gerold Dompig, has thoroughly beaten her up. What is piquaint, however, is that he was not prosecuted for this severe maltreatment and even this incident was covered up by the local and the Dutch authorities) and that the motherland the Netherlands has, as usual, again closed her eyes to this serious fact; mrs Teresa Diana Croes and Elivia Lugo together with her colleagues; whom have perfected and legalised corruption there with the blessing of the corrupt Hyancintho Rudolfo Croes (Rudy gate), minister of injustice, for whom the motherland the Netherlands takes a bow!

Justice of the Kingdom are not to be trusted, because they falsify documents, commit forgery, manipulate the law, commit great injustice, so that justice there in fact has degenerated into justice metered out by tyrants and a lot more devious things against humanity and human rights, with the cooperation of many corrupt Dutch and Aruba lawyers, whom have all done such under the auspices of the kingdom of the Netherlands, which has therefore degenerated into a lowlife banana republic.

This is the reason that Nathalee Holloway has become missing and Joran van der Sloot is untouchable within that banana republic, the kingdom of the Netherlands.

Joran van der Sloot would now have become a persona non grata. I have to laugh at this, because that is only a sly joke and a smoke curtain coming from the henchman of Satan with the nickname “Rudy gate” sitting on the post of the secretary of justice of the very corrupt STATUS APARTE of Aruba, entitled as a den of thieves: the insular territory Aruba, being a part of the dutch banana republic.

It is further totally irrelevant whether there is or is not a governor of Aruba, because this current governor is blind, deaf and mute concerning the crimes of his former political party MEP that is in power.

A part of the populace is tainted with corruption. Believe me or not, or just ask the former E.U. member of Parliament mr. Frits Bolkestein, the dutch Second Chamber member of parliament mr. Hero Brinkman or Geert Wilders; they are witnesses, because they have called Aruba a litter of robbers and a den of thieves.

Don’t be surprised, because the International Transparency reports of Berlin have also entitled the motherland the Netherlands as being number seven on the list of all the corrupt countries in the world! Bad trees give no good fruit!!

The dutch government kabinet Balkenende closes its eyes to the crimes taking place on Aruba against humanity and human rights in name of the head of state, the Queen, Mrs Beatrix. And the dutch Prime Minister Mr Drs Jan Peter Balkenende believes in his half truths and is helping the corrupt government of Aruba Prime Minister Nelson Orlando Oduber to fool the people and the world with a crooked rapport of the IMF into believing that the economy of Aruba is sound.

Jan Peter Balkenende appears not to have feelings or be ashamed of his lies, or else he must be totally incompetent! Because how is it then possible that Aruba has only 120.000 inhabitants but a national debt of more than one billion guilders, while 80% of the populace has fallen into poverty?

This has only been possible with the very corrupt cartel of Prime Minister of Aruba Nelson Orlando Oduber, Hyacintho Rudolfo Croes (RudyCroes), Marisol Lopez-Tromp (queen of corruption), Nilo Swaen who is manipulating figures on the ministry of finance, Ramon (the sex maniac) Lee, Eddie Briezen van Namdar hide corruption, Booshi (Mr false diploma) Wever and cronies. All those people are crooks.
                                                                                            Do Dutch kingdom be no wrong in your judging: give thought to the position of the poor, do not only honor the position of the great; but be a judge to your neighbor in righteousness. Leviticus 19:15

But it is understandable that dirty hands cannot clean anything what is dirty and if Satan rises against Satan, he is fighting against himself and destroys his own kingdom;
I advise you to start a legal procedure against the insular territory of Aruba, the Dutch state or the Kingdom of the Netherlands, because the government of Aruba is lying to the world under the auspices of the kingdom of the Netherlands, that lowlife banana republic, that Aruba is a safe and secure island for tourism; even for the people there is no justice, while there exists no security of law, no justice on that little island, neither that so called democracy!

Because corruption is in power

And the government under the Cabinet of Nelson Orlando Oduber has changed the insular territory of Aruba into a den of thieves!
                                                                                                                        I cordially welcome you to the website written in the Dutch and in English languages www.onrecht.biz   www.koninginnlwatismensenrechten.com   www.arubainjustice.com so that you can get an impression of the total injustice that has manifested itself on Aruba. Queen Beatrix of the KINGDOM OF THE NETHERLANDS” Do not Err; God is not made sport of: for whatever seed a man puts in, he will get back as grain. Galatians 6-7

You are absolutely invited to pass on this letter to the press, television and any media.

Yours sincerely 
                                                                                                                     Carlos Severino Tromp

http://www.yayabla.nl/news/show_article.php?articleid=13690

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1108 on: May 26, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »

msmarple
Murder and Crime Rate In Aruba
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2006, 01:08:11 AM »

Mystery in paradise
By Mitchell Zuckoff, Globe Staff, 11/19/2000

ORANJESTAD, Aruba - The balconies at the Wyndham Aruba hotel are small and private. They have high steel railings that curve inward at the top, for safety.

After a day of sun and rum, Renee and Roy Tiano of Framingham went to their room on the hotel's 12th floor.

Married for four years, the parents of two small children, Renee and Roy left their bathing suits on the floor near the bathroom. It was a warm March night; a three-quarter moon rose in a clear Caribbean sky. They went naked onto the balcony.

Minutes later, without a sound, Renee went over the railing, falling 80 feet to her death on a ballroom roof.

A witness called the hotel operator. Ten minutes passed. Then Roy called the hotel operator.

Later that night, Roy told Aruban police that Renee had felt ill, so he left the balcony to get her a glass of water. He said he heard a noise, turned around, and she was gone.

Aruban police quickly ruled out suicide and declared Renee's death an accident, never revealing the basis for that finding.

Eight months later, Renee Kennedy Tiano's family remains tortured by questions, tormented by suspicion.

''I've got good reason to believe my brother-in-law's story isn't true,'' said her brother, Michael Kennedy of Hopkinton. ''It's either not true or not complete. I want the truth.''

Why, her family wonders, did Roy wait 10 minutes to seek help, and how did he spend that time? Why did police find no fingerprints on the railing? Why did Roy rush to get off the island, leaving Renee's body behind? Why did Roy refuse to allow an autopsy in Massachusetts? Why wouldn't he talk with the FBI? Were Aruban officials more concerned about tourism than justice?

In a brief telephone interview, Roy provided no answers. ''What do you mean you want to hear my side?'' he said. ''She fell off the [expletive] balcony. What more is there to it?'' Then he hung up the phone.

But there might well be more to it.

Unbeknownst to Renee's family, Aruban authorities and FBI agents who came to the island formed a disturbing theory about how she died.

It is a theory that does not answer all the questions. But it does challenge Roy's story about getting her a glass of water. Instead, it places him at the railing with Renee when she fell.

The theory is based on clues from none other than Renee herself - from her appearance in a hotel security video taken minutes before she fell and from telling marks on her body. It also fits an odd comment Roy made to one of Renee's brothers.

And yet, US and Aruban authorities have tried to bury the theory along with Renee. Despite pleas from family members for information, no official of either government has ever told them about their theory. The family first heard it from a Globe reporter.

Athlete, bodybuilder
Renee was 32, with a big smile and bright blue eyes. People who loved her say she was happy and outgoing. A family video taken two weeks before she died shows her turning cartwheels in the backyard of her parents' Dedham home.
She had asthma but was an athlete nonetheless, running track and starring on Dedham High School's field hockey team. After high school, Renee attended Mitchell Community College in New London, Conn., then Southeastern Massachusetts University.

She was working as an office manager at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge when she met Roy.

It was 1993, and she was sharing a Waltham apartment with her cousin and best friend, Donna MacInnes. Renee had become a bodybuilder, sculpting her 5-foot-8-inch form at the World Gym in Waltham.

Roy, now 40, was a World Gym regular, too. Thickly muscled, 5-feet-9, a Waltham native, he ran his own plastering business.

''When they first met he gave her a lot of attention, fed her ego, said all the right things,'' MacInnes recalled. ''He was very affectionate towards her, almost to the point where it was inappropriate. She was embarrassed by him sometimes.''

Soon after they met, Roy made plans to open a gym in Florida. They moved to Fort Lauderdale with help from the oldest of Renee's three brothers, Edward Kennedy. He found it odd that their apartment was on an upper floor of a high-rise; Renee was afraid of heights, he said, and during his visit would not go out on the balcony.

The gym plan fizzled after several months and they returned to Massachusetts, to live in the basement of Renee's parents' home before buying a ranch-style house in Framingham. In September 1995, Renee's parents threw them a lavish wedding at Lombardo's in Randolph.

In February 1998, Renee gave birth to a son, Brandon; their daughter Katrena followed 181/2 months later. ''She was so happy,'' MacInnes said. ''She had her boy and her girl.''

Friends and family say the couple had problems typical of young families: financial pressures when Renee became a full-time mother, arguments over Roy's lack of involvement in child care, and Roy's displeasure at the weight Renee gained during pregnancy.

Last winter took a toll, though, as the whole family fell ill with pneumonia. By spring, Renee and Roy needed a vacation.

`One Happy Island'
In early March, Roy made plans for a three-night trip to Aruba, where 400,000 Americans flock each year for its 80-degree days, turquoise water, and self-proclaimed reputation as ''One Happy Island.'' Renee's parents eagerly agreed to care for the children.

They arrived on Thursday, March 23, and went quickly to the business of relaxing, dining, and drinking at the hotel's bars and restaurants. That first night they ran into one of Renee's closest friends, Sandra Parent, who has a time-share apartment on the island.

''She was her usual happy self,'' Parent recalled. ''She invited me to come meet her at the pool the next day. I said, `You want to be with your honey, and I don't want to be in the middle of two people kissing.' She blushed like a new bride.''

The next day, Roy and Renee had a breakfast buffet, then hit the beach.

''After that we visited several hotels,'' Roy said in his statement to police. ''The whole day we drank rum runners,'' a sweet yet potent mix of rum, blackberry brandy, and banana liqueur. In Roy's words, ''We became drunk.''

They walked a mile on the white sand of Aruba's Palm Beach, past surf shops and hawkers selling aloe vera. Then they returned to their hotel, stopping at the poolside Tambu Bar.

They ordered two rumrunners and four Heineken beers. Roy signed the tab with an illegible scrawl. Below Roy's signature, a waiter wrote in Dutch, ''Drunken man.'' The time stamped on the bill was 7:37 p.m.

En route to their room, Renee and Roy went to the hotel's lower lobby. A security video shows them in bathing suits, drinks in hand. Looking tired and spent, Renee sat heavily on a padded bench while waiting for the elevator.

When it arrived, Renee pressed the button for the 12th floor and the door closed. She walked to the back corner and slumped to the floor in a sitting position. Her arms rested on her knees and her head drooped, face down, the security video shows.

Roy, wearing Speedo-style swim trunks, walked over to Renee and straddled her while she sat. He shook his hips and pressed his crotch against her downturned head. She made no response.

The doors opened and Roy walked out, but Renee remained slumped in the corner. When he realized she wasn't with him, he stopped the elevator doors from closing. After 10 seconds or so, she raised her head slightly and held up her right hand. Roy pulled her up and out to the hall. It was the last image of her alive. The video time-stamp reads 7:53 p.m.

From 8:08 to 8:18
Roy described Renee's last 15 minutes this way to Aruban police: ''We went to the room. When we arrived there we both got undressed. We went and sat on the balcony. On the balcony we started to caress each other.'' He said they did not have sex. Then, Roy said, Renee felt ill and he went to get her water.

They were in Room 1219. Seven floors directly below, in Room 519, was Thomas Dowden of louisiana. He saw Renee plummet.

''I was out on the balcony smoking a cigarette,'' Dowden recalled. ''All of a sudden it sounded like a full piece of luggage landed in front of me. It was like, `whomp!' No scream, no other sound. A whoosh of air.''

He looked down to the ballroom roof below his balcony and saw a naked body, face-down and motionless in a puddle of blood. He phoned for help. The hotel's call log shows it was 8:08 p.m.

Roy's call was logged at 8:18 p.m. He never mentioned a delay to police: ''I looked over the railing and saw her lying on the roof below. I called the receptionist and informed her.''

Roy spent several more minutes in their room, then went to the elevator, security videos show. When the doors opened, he saw people inside and pulled back to wait for an empty one. After several frustrating trips to the wrong floors in search of the ballroom roof, Roy punched the control panel of floor numbers and tore a phone off the wall.

Eventually he reached the correct floor. With no doorway to the roof, he threw a cast-iron bench through a window and climbed out. Dowden, watching from above, said Roy seemed deeply upset as he crouched by Renee's body. He cried out: ''What am I going to do?''

Left a day early
Summoned by hotel security, two Aruban police detectives secured the scene and, several hours later, took a statement from Roy. At the time, police were unaware of the 10-minute gap. They had not seen the video. They did not interrogate or detain him. He was agitated, so they sent him to Aruba's only hospital for psychiatric observation.

Roy returned to the hotel the next morning and called Renee's family and made plans to leave the island. It was a day before his scheduled return, and Renee's body was in the morgue.

Through their shock and grief, her brothers begged him to stay with her. He refused, trusting Renee's body to an Aruban mortician, Eugene Maduro, until her brothers could fly down.

''While I was in the [hotel] room he was on the phone with someone,'' Maduro said. ''I heard him say, `What am I going to do now with the damn kids?' That stayed with me. And he leaves without her?''

With little investigation, police allowed Roy to change flights and leave that day for Boston, effectively closing the case. ''It looked like it was an accident, and we couldn't prove that the other person had something to do with a crime,'' said prosecutor Elivia Lugo.

The next day, Renee's brothers Michael and John flew to Aruba to retrieve their sister's body. They began asking questions of hotel officials and authorities; they began to doubt Roy's story and the competence of the Aruban police.

They won help from Barbara Stephenson, the US consul general to Aruba. Troubled by what they told her, Stephenson arranged Aruban approval for an FBI evidence team to fly to the island later that week to work with Aruban authorities.

FBI officials have refused to comment about what they found. But both US and Aruban officials involved with the case said in interviews that evidence from the joint investigation suggested Roy's story was false.

From the outset, it seemed implausible that Renee had simply fallen over a 44-inch-high safety railing whose top bar would have nestled under her rib cage. No one had ever fallen over the railings; the only known balcony death at the Wyndham was a suicide several years ago. A new theory began to form.

Protecting the children
The first clues came from the Aruban medical examiner. All of Renee's injuries were consistent with a fall, except two: On her back and behind her right knee were scrapes that contained grit from the hotel's outer wall. The investigators concluded that she fell backward over the railing, from a sitting position, scraping her back and leg on the way down.

Then there was the elevator video, which suggested that both Roy and Renee were intoxicated and that Roy was focused on having sex. Those images fit with the waiter's note on their check that Roy was drunk and with witnesses who saw them dancing sensually at the Tambu Bar.

In fact, the medical examiner concluded that Renee had had intercourse in the hours before she died, and had a blood alcohol level of .196, more than twice Massachusetts' legal driving limit.

The evidence began adding up this way: Renee and Roy were together on the balcony, naked under the moonlight. Renee was seated on the rounded top bar of the railing, facing Roy. Roy held her on the railing as they had sex.

Then something awful happened: somehow, Roy lost his grip. Renee fell backward, scraping her legs and back, falling past one balcony then another, plunging past Dowden on the fifth floor, then slamming head-first into the balcony roof.

The investigators thought the 10-minute gap could be explained as time Roy needed to react to the shock of his wife's death. The theory also might explain why he was in a hurry to leave the island, why he refused her family's requests for a second autopsy in Massachusetts, and why he refused to speak with the FBI.

It might also explain a remark Renee's brother Edward said Roy made two days after she died. After telling Edward his drink-of-water story, Roy suddenly added: ''She had baby oil on.''

''I said, `What are you talking about?''' Edward recalled. ''He didn't answer. He started telling his story again.''

An Aruban government official said authorities refused to disclose their conclusions to the family in part to protect Renee's children.

''It's bad enough the kids don't have a mother,'' said Henry Baarh, Aruba's director of foreign affairs. ''But to not have a mother because she was having sex on the balcony with your father and she fell, well, that's another thing entirely.''

Renee's family reacted angrily when a Globe reporter told them the investigators' sex-on-the-balcony theory.

''How the hell do the FBI and the Aruban authorities get into the business of making up stories for people?'' said her brother Michael. ''What they should say is, `What you told us is not true. Now we have real problems with you as a person who was there at the time of this death. You have anything else to say?'''

Was she aware?
Although the investigators' theory fits key pieces of evidence, troubling questions remain.

Aruban authorities said they closed the case in part because both were drunk and seemed amorous at the bar, leading them to conclude that both participated in dangerous balcony sex.

Authorities from both countries acknowledged, however, that they would have pursued the case if they thought Renee had been unconscious, unwilling, or unable to get onto the railing on her own.

However, Roy was never asked those questions in Aruba. And when FBI agents went to his house in Framingham a week later, armed with a list of 52 questions, Roy turned them away. Among their questions, ''What was her state of consciousness? Was she awake?''

By refusing to cooperate, Roy also spared himself from being asked about evidence relating to those questions: Renee's drowsy appearance in the video, her fear of heights, and Dowden's recollection of a silent ''piece of luggage'' falling.

Mary Ames, a Boston lawyer hired by Renee's brothers, said Aruba's failure to aggressively pursue the case, including the questions of Renee's consciousness, reflects their concern about the country's tourism industry.

''The Aruban government is digging in their heels and insisting on the correctness of their position, and the American government seems powerless on their own to go down and conduct their own investigation,'' Ames said.

''We're caught in this crazy Catch-22,'' she added, ''without answers to find out what happened to this young mother, daughter, sister who went down for this four-day vacation and never came back.''

At the request of Renee's family, Senator John F. Kerry has pressed Aruba to reopen the investigation. In a letter to Aruban diplomats, the Massachusetts Democrat cited unanswered questions that ''intenstified when Mr. Tiano refused to cooperate with any further investigation of his wife's death.

''Mrs. Tiano's family is very concerned that troubling details about the case raise serious questions about the possibility of foul play and merit further investigation,'' Kerry's letter said.

But Aruban officials remain unmoved. ''We have already closed that case,'' insisted Lugo, the Aruban prosecutor.

In response to Kerry's request, Baarh, Aruba's director of foreign affairs, drafted a letter that says a new investigation would require new evidence and a formal request from the US Justice Department. Neither seems forthcoming.

The federal prosecutor in Boston handling the case said there are no grounds for the United States to investigate Renee's death further and no way to force Aruba to act. ''I have tried to rack my brain for ways to find jurisdiction, and I can't. We're not punting this without thought,'' he said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

He acknowledged, however, that federal or state authorities could seek fraud charges on US soil if it were shown that Roy made ''material misrepresentations'' to collect life insurance. Lies by a beneficiary about the circumstances of an accidental death could meet that standard, the prosecutor said. But he declined to say whether he would pursue it.

On June 29, three months after Renee died, Roy collected $500,000 from her policy with New York Life Insurance Co. A company spokesman declined to comment about what claims Roy made about her death.

''Absent any court action or legal authority requiring our involvement, this matter is closed for us,'' the insurance company spokesman said.

A headstone and a cross

In the eight months since Renee died, Roy has gone on raising their children in their Framingham home. He has traded in the family minivan for a Cadillac Seville.

He has never wavered from a line from his police statement: ''I don't know how my wife fell from the balcony.''

Renee's family, meanwhile, stews in frustration and pays regular visits to St. Joseph's Cemetery in West Roxbury.

Renee's grave has a red eternal light and a pink granite headstone surrounded by flowers. Her family asked Roy to include her maiden name on the stone, but it says only ''Tiano, Renee Charlene, 1967-2000.''

But someone has placed a small wooden cross at the base of the headstone, with a laminated photo of Renee and her name in white paint. Only her maiden name.

''We're not going to let it go,'' said Renee's brother Edward. ''If we have to go stand in front of travel agents or the Aruban embassy or whatever, we'll do it.''

This story ran on page A01 of the Boston Globe on 11/19/2000.

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=188.msg58092

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1109 on: May 26, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »

What a sad story.. Nothing changes on ONE SICK ISLAND.....

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1110 on: May 26, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »

... and an Elivia Lugo connection.

This family felt that the FBI and Aruba were conspired together to rule out foul play.

Keepthefaith ... there are times that I think that the underlying political issues that are mutually beneficial to both Aruba and the United States will prevail over justice for Natalee Holloway.

Janet

_____

Yellow Ribbon
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1111 on: May 26, 2009, 10:14:04 PM »

To me this marks four years. It was upon returning to town from Memorial Day that our voice mail had the message that Natalee had not returned. Beth, I hope you are doing alright.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1112 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »

JMO

I agree! It will be "business as usual" in Aruba.    At least we know from the beginning that Aruba is going to do NOTHING   this time either.

Isn't this something!  This time the new OM doesn't even make the empty promises to do something but says right up front that not only is he not going to provide any information to the media but he won't let anyone else do anything either.

Dave Holloway had permission for that bogus pond search before he sent the man and the dog down there to do it.  I don't recall this ever being such a big issue with any other country before.  Our friends and allies normally do not have any problem working with our FBI.  Makes me wonder if Aruba isn't afraid of so many others things being found, other than Natalee. 

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1113 on: May 26, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »

To me this marks four years. It was upon returning to town from Memorial Day that our voice mail had the message that Natalee had not returned. Beth, I hope you are doing alright.

Good to see you, YR!  As you can see, we are still here hoping and praying along with Beth.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1114 on: May 26, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »

All of these investigations into corruption in Aruba are well and good but I don't think they will have anything to do with the type of corruption and cronyism that made for the cover up in Natalee's disappearance.

I may be wrong but I think they are going after financial corruption only.  I will be very surprised if we ever see that investigation into van der Straten that Rudy Croes was threatening to do.  He just said that to get his way about something or other.  And even if they did do it, they would just file a report in the end and nothing would be done to those who obstructed justice.  It would all be called a misunderstanding or incompetence or even bungling but never the criminal acts it truly was.

They just care about where their money is going and who is squandering it in Aruba.

MO

PERSONA NON GRATA

Yellow Ribbon
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1115 on: May 26, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »

Good to see you, YR!  As you can see, we are still here hoping and praying along with Beth.

Good to see you, too, Anna. Keep up the good work.

It's my understanding that the kids from Mtn. Brook again split up into lots of small post graduation trips. I hope they all return safely.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1116 on: May 26, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »

Yellow Ribbon, good to see you.  We are here for Natalee and do hope Beth is doing just alright.   

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1117 on: May 26, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »

TRUTH & JUSTICE FOR NATALEE!

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1118 on: May 26, 2009, 11:30:10 PM »

TRUTH & JUSTICE FOR NATALEE!

THE FINAL GOODBYE

Page 15/16:  On Thursday May 26, 2005, Natalee came into my bedroom at three o'clock in the morning to tell me it was almost time to go. Everyone was gathering at a friend's house for the ride to the airport. My job was to pick everyone up at the airport when they returned on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, 2005 ...

In the wee hours on this Thursday morning Natalee and I loaded her things into the back of the car and headed off to her friend's house.  It was very dark at that hour, and we were both ony half awake.  But we did talk some.  Small talk.  We reviewed what she had packed, going through a mental checklist of passport, cash, camera, suncreen, and the like.  When we arrived at her friend's house, she came to life.  The adventure she had been excitedly awaiting for months was finally about to begin.  She jumped out of the car and bounced to the back to get her bag.  I got out and walked around the car to help her.  She gathered her things and looked up long enough for me to kiss her on the cheek.

"I love you!  Have a great time!" I told her.

She replied "Bye, Mom! Love you!" and slung her purple duffel bag over her shoulder.

The bag made her walk slightly bent to its opposite side.  I got back in the car as she made her way up the long walkway to the front door.  Turning the car around to leave, I stopped and looked over my shoulder to see her go inside.  The front door of the house opened just wide enough for her to slip in.  I saw her silhouette in the beam of light that shone from inside.  The light narrowed as the door closed, then disappeared completely.  It was pitch-black again. I drove away not knowing that would be the last time I would ever see Natalee.

_____

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1119 on: May 26, 2009, 11:45:52 PM »

Crying or Very sad

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.