March 28, 2024, 11:02:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Murder suspect of 3 mo. old infant Emanuel Murray - 'It's a dirty game'  (Read 6277 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »

Infant murder suspect: 'It's a dirty game'
Reported by: Keith Baker
Email: kbaker@abcactionnews.com
Contributor: Cary Williams
Last Update: 8:38 pm
AMPA, FL -- Authorities have arrested a man they say threw an infant from a car along I-275 Tuesday morning.  The 3-month-old boy died.

21-year-old Richard McTear Jr. was apprehended around 9 a.m. at 3803 Arlington Drive in Tampa.

Jason Bird, an off-duty news photographer for WTVT-TV, found the child, identified as Emanuel Murray, in the southbound emergency lane near Fowler Avenue around 4:30 a.m.
"On the side of the road, I saw something out of the corner of my eye and at first I thought it was a baby doll, and then as I was thinking about it more I thought that was awfully big for a doll," Bird said.

He decided to go back to take another look.

"It was laying there with its eyes open," he said. "I couldn't look at it. It freaked me out, but fortunately law enforcement came right away."

About 45 minutes earlier, deputies were called to a home at 12414 North 15th Street for a report of domestic violence at the Marbella Apartments.
The caller, Jasmine Bedwell, said that she and McTear were fighting and that she and her 3-month-old son had been beaten.  Bedwell told the operator the man picked up the baby and threw him on the concrete.

She said he then picked up the child and took off in a blue 4-door Chevrolet Impala.

The baby was pronounced dead alongside the Interstate around 4:30 a.m.  A sheriff's spokeswoman said the medical examiner's office will determine just when the baby died.

Tampa Police later located McTear's car at 1601 River Cove in Tampa.

McTear has a prior record.  He was previously arrested on charges including felony battery, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and domestic battery by strangulation.

After his arrest, McTear was taken to Tampa Police District 3 Headquarters and then taken to the Falkenburg Road Jail where he is being held.

When ABC Action News reporter Dustin Chase asked how he could throw a baby out the window, McTear responded "It's a dirty game."

Tuesday afternoon he was charged with 1st degree murder following the conclusion of the baby's autopsy. He also been charged with burglary with a battery, felony battery, aggravated child abuse, and kidnapping.

He is  being transported to the Orient Road Jail, and is expected to make a first court appearance tomorrow.

AMPA, FL -- Authorities have arrested a man they say threw an infant from a car along I-275 Tuesday morning.  The 3-month-old boy died.

21-year-old Richard McTear Jr. was apprehended around 9 a.m. at 3803 Arlington Drive in Tampa.

Jason Bird, an off-duty news photographer for WTVT-TV, found the child, identified as Emanuel Murray, in the southbound emergency lane near Fowler Avenue around 4:30 a.m.
"On the side of the road, I saw something out of the corner of my eye and at first I thought it was a baby doll, and then as I was thinking about it more I thought that was awfully big for a doll," Bird said.

He decided to go back to take another look.

"It was laying there with its eyes open," he said. "I couldn't look at it. It freaked me out, but fortunately law enforcement came right away."

About 45 minutes earlier, deputies were called to a home at 12414 North 15th Street for a report of domestic violence at the Marbella Apartments.
The caller, Jasmine Bedwell, said that she and McTear were fighting and that she and her 3-month-old son had been beaten.  Bedwell told the operator the man picked up the baby and threw him on the concrete.

She said he then picked up the child and took off in a blue 4-door Chevrolet Impala.

The baby was pronounced dead alongside the Interstate around 4:30 a.m.  A sheriff's spokeswoman said the medical examiner's office will determine just when the baby died.

Tampa Police later located McTear's car at 1601 River Cove in Tampa.

McTear has a prior record.  He was previously arrested on charges including felony battery, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and domestic battery by strangulation.

After his arrest, McTear was taken to Tampa Police District 3 Headquarters and then taken to the Falkenburg Road Jail where he is being held.

When ABC Action News reporter Dustin Chase asked how he could throw a baby out the window, McTear responded "It's a dirty game."

Tuesday afternoon he was charged with 1st degree murder following the conclusion of the baby's autopsy. He also been charged with burglary with a battery, felony battery, aggravated child abuse, and kidnapping.

He is  being transported to the Orient Road Jail, and is expected to make a first court appearance tomorrow.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Baby-dies-abandoned-along-I-275-in-Tampa/wKCqs2AyLkuny0wt8C1QUw.cspx

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »

Muffy...I am gobsmacked! does it seem like every story becomes just a little bit worse than the one before?
I am truly truly shocked and frankly, I have no words for how awful this is...that poor little baby...innocent and had no say in any of this..This man and I use that term loosely is an animal...I am so angry right now...

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:38:32 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/05/florida.child.thrown/index.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 03:05:06 PM »

What a beautiful little boy he was, just precious...

May his killer be the recipient of all of the "dirty little games" in prison! 
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:08:20 AM »

Accused baby killer in court today
TAMPA, FL -- A man charged with throwing a 3-month-old boy onto I-275 is scheduled to be arraigned today on a number of charges, including first degree murder.

Authorities say Richard McTear took the infant, Emanuel Murray, after beating his mother and throwing the child onto a concrete floor.  They say he tossed the baby from his car window onto the Instate shoulder near Fowler Avenue on May 5.

He eluded capture for about four hours.

McTear was ordered held without bail.

In addition to the murder charge, he's accused of aggravated child abuse and kidnapping.
http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Accused-baby-killer-in-court-today/3o_-s_ixEE2yLKiVE-WVeQ.cspx

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »

hopefully he will be in general population?  he will get what he deserves in prison...hopefully he will meet up with a concrete floor after he is thrown from the upper tier of the prison...oh well...dirty little games...

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »

Documents reveal more details in baby-throwing case
By JOSH POLTILOVE | The Tampa Tribune

The child was found face down on the side of Interstate 275, his body cold to the touch and his skull fractured.

Emanuel Wesley Murray, 3 months old, died due to blunt impact to his head, which caused skull fractures, according to medical examiner reports included in nearly 500 pages of documents released today.

Richard McTear Jr. is charged with first-degree murder in the May 5 slaying of his ex-girlfriend's son. Hillsborough County deputies say McTear dropped Emanuel on a concrete floor, then drove off with the baby and threw him on the side of the interstate just south of Fowler Avenue.

Among the documents: witness interviews, police reports and letters McTear wrote from behind bars.

Several documents have not been released while McTear's lawyers fight to keep them suppressed.

But included are conversations Bedwell had with investigators after the attack.

At St. Joseph's Hospital early that morning, she told deputies that McTear had beaten and choked her. She asked where her baby was, and a deputy told her that her child had been found and was dead.
Bedwell wept and said, "No, not my baby! He killed my baby!"

Bedwell couldn't immediately answer any more questions from investigators.

In an interview less than six hours after the slaying, Bedwell cried throughout her conversation with deputies at St. Joseph's Hospital emergency room.

She said she had been in a relationship with McTear for nine or 10 months and that it had been violent. He had threatened to take the baby, and he called her about 6 p.m. May 4 and told her he was going to come there and break into her apartment and kill her and the baby, she later told investigators. She went to a friend's house that night.

About 3 a.m. May 5, she decided she needed to go home because she had school that day. Inside her home, she said, was McTear, and he punched her. He didn't have a key, she said, so she was not positive how he got in her home. Emanuel was asleep in a car seat at the time.

She told McTear that her baby was right there, and McTear told her "he gonna get it too," Bedwell said.

He told her he was upset about her relationship with another man, and he poured a can of soda in her baby's face and spit in the baby's face, she later told investigators.

She told him not to do anything to her baby, she said, and McTear told her he was going to get a gun.

"But before that he swung the baby out on the car seat. He just slung the car seat with the baby in it," Bedwell said. "He slung him in the kitchen first and then he slung him into the living room on the floor."

The baby flew out of the car seat after one of the tosses, Bedwell said. McTear told her to make the baby be quiet before he killed them both. She picked up the baby and tried to escape, and he took the baby from her hands.

During the attack, she said, he grabbed her, beat her and "he was biting me everywhere. … And I got a bite mark on my back and stuff. And on my neck over here, I got a bite mark."

She didn't think McTear would really kill the baby, and her instinct was to get help, so she ran to call police. He took the baby and left, she said.

Asked what set McTear off so much, she told an investigator to listen to her voice mail. McTear was calling her and calling her, and she wouldn't answer her phone, she said, "Cause he told me the other day he was gonna kill me and my baby and I just left my house."

In retrospect, she told deputies, she felt guilty about leaving to try to get help.

"Emanuel was screaming to the top of his lung," she said. "And I just felt so bad for leaving him there and I feel like all this my fault for leaving him."

McTear was jealous of another man in Bedwell's life as well, she said.

She said her sister told her that McTear had called, saying "Don't worry about it cause I already kill her baby today or already did or something."

At the time, she told deputies McTear might be with his friend Anthony, who is part of "Dirty Game," a Sulphur Springs crew. She said McTear had never lived with her but had stayed the night with her many times. He no longer kept things there, she said.

McTear, 21, remains without bail in Orient Road Jail.

McTear refused to be interviewed after his arrest. Deputies say he told them, "I'm straight. I'll talk to a lawyer first."

Bedwell's sister Alicia told deputies that she spoke with McTear the morning of the slaying. When she asked McTear where her nephew was, McTear responded, but defense lawyers are trying to keep that comment suppressed.

Deputies asked Alicia Bedwell what she thought McTear meant by his statement. "She stated that she thought he had just left the baby somewhere, not knowing he had killed the baby or thrown the child from the car window. She stated, 'I didn't think the baby was dead.'"

Thomas Scaglione, Bedwell's teacher at an adult center, contacted deputies May 6.

He said that on the afternoon of May 4, Bedwell made a remark to him in front of other students that her baby had been "tooken" from the mall. Scaglione asked Bedwell if it was true, and she smiled and said she was just joking.

Scaglione told deputies that after the lunch hour, he saw Bedwell talk on her cell phone inside his classroom. She stated, "You better give me back my [expletive] baby, you [expletive]!" Scaglione reminded Bedwell that she's not allowed to use her cell phone during class, according to the rules of the adult center.

He also told deputies that her baby had been enrolled within the daycare center on site for the teen mothers who attend the school. Scaglione told deputies that he thinks the phone call happened about 1:30 p.m. May 4. He thought this was relevant because Bedwell was supposed to be in a temporary injunction hearing that day but was in school.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/aug/04/041914/documents-reveal-more-details-baby-throwing-case/news-breaking/

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »

Death penalty sought in baby-tossing case
Lillie Bedwell isn't surprised prosecutors will seek the death penalty for a man accused of killing her 3-month-old grandson by throwing the infant out of a moving car.

She just wishes he could be punished even more.

"He deserves worse than that," Bedwell said about prosecutors pursuing the death penalty for Richard Anthony McTear. "But if that's what he's going to get, then that's a good thing. The baby was 100 percent innocent."

Prosecutors say McTear forced his way into the apartment of Jasmine Bedwell on May 5. They say he then beat Jasmine Bedwell, threw her infant son, Emanuel Wesley Murray, on a concrete floor and drove off with the boy before throwing the child out of a moving car onto the shoulder of Interstate 275.

Jasmine Bedwell, 17, and McTear, 21, had had a stormy relationship, and she had previously tried to get a restraining order against him. He is not the father of Emanuel.

McTear is charged with first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, kidnapping, felony battery and burglary with battery. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Assistant State Attorney Jalal Harb made the announcement the state would pursue the death penalty at the start of a court hearing Wednesday during which public defenders representing McTear tried to limit the release of pretrial discovery in the case. Circuit Judge Gregory P. Holder denied the request.

Discovery is information such as written witness statements, telephone records, the results of forensic tests and transcripts, or any recorded conversations of 911 calls.

The defense attorneys sought a protective order that will delay any discovery release for an additional 30 days and require a private judicial review of any documents.

"It has not been shown that defendant's right to a fair trial is in any reasonable way threatened by the reports surrounding the trial and the parties," Holder said.

Ida Williams, who claims to be McTear's fiancee, sobbed throughout the hearing, doubling over when Harb made his announcement about the death penalty.

She said she met McTear in jail and the pair want to marry as soon as they can. Jail records show Williams has visited McTear three times since June 10.

"He's a sweet person," she said. "He tells me to do right by my kids. We talk a lot about God."

The last time McTear was in court last month, he was professing his love of Bedwell.

"I love you, Jasmine," he said while being led out of the courtroom. Bedwell later collapsed outside the courthouse when asked about the comment.

Williams said there is another woman in the mix. She said another woman, whom she didn't know, had McTear's baby in the past couple of weeks.

"He loves children," she said.

Attorney Gregg Thomas, who objected to the discovery disclosure limits on behalf of The Tampa Tribune, News Channel 8 and WTVT, Channel 13, praised Holder's decision.

"The judge properly weighed the issues here," Thomas said. "The public has a great interest in how this case is tried."

Assistant Public Defender Mike Peacock said there had been extensive local and national attention to the case because of the nature of the charges.

Harb said his office didn't oppose the limitations.

Thomas argued that most of the information about McTear and the crime has already been aired or published.

Holder said the question on whether publicity has shaped public opinion was best left to jury selection.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jun/18/na-death-sought-in-fatal-baby-toss/

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.