April 20, 2024, 08:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medical Identity Theft  (Read 1541 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 06, 2009, 06:43:28 AM »

Not only are identities used to get jobs and credit, but also to obtain health care on the victim’s back.  While a stolen identity for work and/or credit can make you life difficult, medical identity theft could threaten your life: (snip)

The article notes that the primary culprits in such theft include transients, illegal immigrants (”undocumented workers”), and addicts attempting to get a prescription.

This, yet again, highlights the fact of why identity verification (like E-Verify) is so important.  With compromised medical records, a legitimate patient could be administered drugs they are allergic to, less effective medication or procedures, or receive the wrong blood type.  Additionally, this drives up medical costs for all and could drive up costs to a patient if they are mistakenly believed to have a serious condition (ICU/quarantine costs etc) due to the compromised record.  They may also be denied procedures due to a non-existent medical condition and may have their insurance revoked:

“If you get sick as a crook and go to the doctor under your name and come back with what they would deem as a preexisting condition, we’ve had actual insurance companies try to cancel the victim’s insurance for debilitating diseases,” said Lt. Sebby.

http://utahrattler.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/medical-identity-theft-illegal-immigration-addicts/

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »

Thanks WG, good to see you back and this is an important alert. As we all hope for more privacy now it seems what little we have left, is open season increasingly.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »

Now, we have computerized theft and ransom.  Hackers took the records of millions from a government website.  They want $10M, or they will release the records for all to see.

Unbelievable! 

I don't believe I want the government to have care of medical records.

(Add another "DAH" moment to the tally)

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.