March 19, 2024, 12:08:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drew Peterson arrested/indicted for murder 3rd wife Kathleen Savio #1(GUILTY)  (Read 310825 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/21/AR2010012100890.html
Witnesses to say drowned Ill. woman feared ex-cop
Thursday, January 21, 2010; 7:00 AM
JOLIET, Ill. -- A woman who mysteriously drowned in a bathtub will be given a voice as witnesses tell an Illinois judge how she feared the ex-husband now charged in her death.

Prosecutors are expected to call more witnesses Thursday to detail conversations they had with Kathleen Savio about her former police officer husband, Drew Peterson.

The judge will decide later whether the "hearsay" evidence may be used during Peterson's murder trial. Peterson has pleaded not guilty.

A former co-worker testified Wednesday that Savio told him Peterson once threw her to the floor and threatened to kill her.

Savio's body was found in a dry bathtub in 2004. Her death was ruled a homicide after Peterson's fourth wife disappeared in 2007. Peterson has not been charged in that case.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »

Witness: Peterson indicated he'd kill his 4th wife
01.21.10, 04:50 PM EST 

JOLIET, Ill. -- The stepbrother of a former Illinois police officer accused of killing his third wife told a hushed courtroom Thursday that he believed he might have helped his relative dispose of the body of his fourth wife, who has not been seen for more than two years.

Thomas Morphey testified at a hearing to decide whether prosecutors can use "hearsay" evidence to try and prove allegations that Drew Peterson killed his third wife, Kathleen Savio, in 2004. Peterson hasn't been charged in the 2007 disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy, but authorities say he is the only suspect.

While the Will County hearing is about the death of Savio, Thursday's testimony focused on the day Stacy Peterson disappeared. Prosecutors would not say why Morphey was being asked to testify about Stacy Peterson, but Will County state's attorney's office spokesman Chuck Pelkie said the reasons would become clear in the proceedings.

In a packed but quiet courtroom, Morphey said Peterson suggested when they talked on Oct. 27, 2007, that he intended to kill Stacy because she planned to divorce him, win custody of their children and take Peterson's money.

Morphey said he drank heavily the next day.

"I just heard someone was going to murder somebody else," Morphey explained.

Peterson brought Morphey back to his Bolingbrook home, went into a master bedroom and rolled out a large blue barrel that Morphey estimated weighed up to 150 pounds.

"He had me grab an end, he grabbed the other end and we proceeded down the stairs," Morphey testified. "It felt warm."

Morphey stopped short of saying that Peterson directly admitted murdering Stacy and he said the two men never talked about what was in the barrel. Earlier in the day, Morphey testified he had told Peterson that he always assumed he had killed Savio, but that Peterson denied it.

Savio's body was found in an empty bathtub in her home in 2004. Her death had initially been ruled an accidental drowning - until Stacy Peterson's disappearance led officials to exhume Savio's body, conduct another autopsy and conclude Savio was the victim of a homicide.

The story of the blue barrel has been central in Stacy Peterson's case. Numerous search parties over the years, including divers, have focused on finding it, but it has never turned up.

In court, Morphey said he had not wanted to go with Peterson, in part because he didn't want anything to do with what Peterson did. Morphey did not explain why he agreed to help him.

According to his testimony, the two men took the barrel, put it in Peterson's SUV and Peterson drove Morphey home.

"'He said, 'This never happened,'" Morphey testified. "I said, 'I won't tell a soul.'"

Nevertheless, Morphey said he later told his girlfriend, brother and a neighbor. He said he was stressed out, nervous and drinking more than normal.

Morphey said he didn't contact the authorities because he wasn't sure the incident would be handled fairly due to Peterson's job.

"He was a police officer," Morphey said. "I thought, 'What would be the point of calling 911?'"

Morphey said his fear led him to overdose on the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in an attempt to end his life.

"I felt everything was coming down on me," he said. "I'm still scared to death."

In a cross-examination, Peterson's attorneys raised questions about Morphey's mental state and whether was a credible witness.

Morphey suffers from a bipolar disorder and has admitted to drinking too much as well as problems with drugs. On Thursday prosecutors presented evidence that buttressed what Morphey said happened. That included video footage and witness interviews showing that both men made a trip to Starbucks ( SBUX - news - people ) around the time of the alleged blue barrel incident.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/01/21/general-us-drew-peterson_7293655.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2010, 07:54:57 AM »

Wife's disappearance focus of hearing
Peterson hasn't been charged in 2007 disappearance
Updated: Friday, 22 Jan 2010, 5:22 AM MST
Published : Friday, 22 Jan 2010, 5:22 AM MST

The investigation of former Illinois police officer Drew Peterson has always been about both the disappearance of his fourth wife and the death of his third wife.

That was particularly evident when Peterson's stepbrother took the stand at a hearing Thursday regarding the death of the third wife, Kathleen Savio. He spoke for three hours about the day Stacy Peterson vanished.

Peterson, a former Bolingbrook police officer, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Savio, whose body was found in a dry bathtub in her home in 2004. Peterson hasn't been charged in Stacy's 2007 disappearance, but authorities say he is the only suspect.

Prosecutors did not immediately explain why they asked Peterson's stepbrother, Thomas Morphey, to testify about Stacy Peterson at such length during a pretrial hearing meant to decide what, if any, "hearsay" evidence prosecutors can use to try and prove allegations that Peterson killed Savio. Will County state's attorney's spokesman Chuck Pelkie said it would become clear later.

Friday's testimony was likely to turn to the day Savio's body was found. The lead Illinois State Police investigator who originally looked into Savio's death, retired Sgt. Patrick Collins, was scheduled to resume testifying and was expected to explain why the death was initially ruled an accident.

Officials decided to exhume Savio's body after Stacy Peterson's disappearance. A subsequent autopsy concluded Savio was the victim of a homicide.

At Thursday's hearing, Morphey described in detail how he believed he might have helped his relative dispose of Stacy Peterson's body. She has not been seen for more than two years.

Morphey said Drew Peterson suggested when they talked on Oct. 27, 2007, that he intended to kill his fourth wife because she planned to divorce him, win custody of their children and take Peterson's money.

Morphey said he drank heavily the next day.

"I just heard someone was going to murder somebody else," Morphey explained.

Peterson brought Morphey back to his Bolingbrook home, Morphey said, went into a master bedroom and rolled out a large blue barrel that Morphey estimated weighed up to 150 pounds.

Morphey stopped short of saying Peterson directly admitted murdering Stacy and he said the two men never talked about what was in the barrel. Morphey also testified that he had told Peterson that he always assumed he had killed Savio, but that Peterson denied it.

The story of the blue barrel has been central in Stacy Peterson's case. Numerous search parties over the years, including divers, have focused on finding it, but it has never turned up.

Morphey testified that he had not wanted to help Peterson, in part because he didn't want anything to do with what he thought Peterson did. Morphey did not explain why he agreed to help.

According to his testimony, the two men took the barrel, put it in Peterson's SUV; Peterson then drove Morphey home.

"He said, 'This never happened,'" Morphey testified. "I said, 'I won't tell a soul.'"

Nevertheless, Morphey said he later told his girlfriend, brother and a neighbor. And he said he was stressed and drinking more than normal. The anxiety, Morphey said, even led him to overdose on the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in an attempt to end his life.

"I felt everything was coming down on me," he said. "I'm still scared to death."

Under cross-examination, Peterson's attorneys raised questions about Morphey's mental state and whether was a credible witness.

http://www.krqe.com/dpps/news/us/midwest/3rd-wifes-disappearance-focus-of-peterson-hearing-jgr_3196323

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/23/AR2010012301379.html
Experts: Police botched 1st Peterson investigation
By MICHAEL TARM and DON BABWIN
The Associated Press
Saturday, January 23, 2010; 1:57 PM

JOLIET, Ill. -- From nearly the moment the lead investigator stepped into the suburban Chicago area home where former policeman Drew Peterson's third wife was found dead in a dry bathtub, he treated her death as a tragic accident.
Illinois State Police Sgt. Patrick Collins collected no forensics evidence from the scene - not fingerprints, unfinished drinks or clothes. Most disturbingly, say experts, Collins let Peterson sit in on what may have been a vital interview.

Six years later, as prosecutors and defense attorneys prepare for Peterson's trial on charges of murdering Kathleen Savio, one thing has become clear: Police blew the initial investigation, undermining prosecutors' ability to prove their case.
The incompetency that comes out is somewhat unbelievable," said Richard Brzeczek, a former Chicago police superintendent who now works in private criminal defense. "It seems that, pretty fundamentally, what should have been done was not done."

Among the litany of mistakes: Collins said he never asked anyone whether Savio's body had been touched or moved, he never tried to account for her body being bent forward, and he never interviewed her relatives. And when he left the house, he didn't seal it, meaning someone could walk in and take, move or even clean something.

"They could have had the evidence with a proper investigation," Brzeczek said. "A prosecution's extremely more difficult now."

The now-retired Collins testified Thursday and Friday at a pretrial hearing meant to determine what, if any, "hearsay" evidence prosecutors can use during Peterson's murder trial.

Both prosecutors and defense attorneys hit Collins with tough questions, with prosecutors trying to show he could have gathered evidence pointing to Peterson's involvement in Savio's death. The defense, which has long claimed Savio's death was an accident, argued that even if someone had killed her, the investigation was so shoddy it would be impossible to determine who that was.
Peterson has pleaded not guilty in Savio's 2004 death. Officials exhumed her body and ruled her death a homicide only after Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy Peterson, disappeared in 2007. He hasn't been charged in her disappearance, but authorities say he's the only suspect.

Brzeczek says one of the glaring examples of Collins' poor judgment was permitting Peterson to attend an interview of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson, in which she was asked about her husband's whereabouts the day Savio died. Peterson and Savio had divorced and Peterson married Stacy Peterson before Savio died.

Collins testified that Peterson not only sat in on the interview, he answered a question put to his wife about what they ate for breakfast that day.

"Collins should have said, 'I'm sorry there are serious considerations here, we have a death investigation, and at this point there will be no profession courtesies,'" Brzeczek said. "You just cannot do those kind of things."

Continued here.....  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/23/AR2010012301379_2.html

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »

Neighbor: Stacy Peterson said 'I'm already dead'
By DON BABWIN , 01.25.10, 05:51 PM EST 

JOLIET, Ill. -- The fourth wife of former Illinois police officer Drew Peterson was sure her husband would kill her, even telling a neighbor days before her disappearance in 2007 that "I'm already dead," according to testimony at a hearing on Monday.

The neighbor sobbed uncontrollably at times as she spoke during the hearing meant to determine what, if any, "hearsay" evidence prosecutors can use during Peterson's upcoming trial on charges he murdered his third wife, Kathleen Savio, in 2004.
Bychowski told the court that she found Stacy Peterson, then 23, crying outside her suburban Chicago home. She explained how she had packed 10 boxes of Drew Peterson's clothes and asked her husband, 30 years her senior, to leave. But he'd refused.

"She said, 'If I disappear, Sharon, it's not an accident. He killed me,'" a visibly shaken Bychowski testified.

As Stacy Peterson described how she feared for her life, Bychowski advised her to put what she was saying in writing.

"It doesn't matter," Bychowski said Peterson told her. "I'm already dead. He's going to kill me."

At one point, the judge called a brief recess to allow Bychowski to regain her composure.

Peterson has pleaded not guilty in Savio's 2004 death. Officials exhumed her body and ruled her death a homicide only after Stacy Peterson vanished three years later. He hasn't been charged in her disappearance, but authorities say he's the only suspect.

The focus of the pre-trial hearing, now in its second week, is the possible use of "hearsay" evidence in the Savio case.

Hearsay, or statements not based on the direct knowledge of a witness, usually isn't admissible in court. Illinois judges can allow it in murder trials if prosecutors prove a defendant may have killed a witness to prevent them from testifying. There's little available forensic evidence in Savio's case, so prosecutors are expected to rely on statements Savio allegedly made to others saying she feared Peterson could kill her.

But Bychowski is the latest witness to testify at length about Stacy Peterson.

She testified Monday that Stacy Peterson, despite expressing fears for her own life, never said anything about Savio's death or that she may have suspected Drew Peterson of killing Savio. Drew Peterson and Savio had divorced, and he had already married Stacy Peterson before Savio died.

Bychowski also testified that Stacy Peterson talked at length about her intention to divorce Peterson.

"She didn't love him anymore," Bychowski said. She added that, for Stacy Peterson, "having sex with him made her skin crawl."

Drew Peterson tried to dissuade his young wife from leaving by showering her with gifts, including a motorcycle and a ring, as well as by paying for breast enhancement surgery, Stacy Peterson allegedly told Bychowski. But holding up the ring at one point, she said, "'He thinks he's going to keep me. No way,'" Bychowski recalled.

Drew Peterson was so possessive of Stacy, he even installed a satellite GPS tracking system in her cell phone to monitor her movements by computer, Bruce Zidarich - a then-boyfriend of Stacy Peterson's sister, Cassandra Cales - also testified Monday.

In the initial investigation into Savio's 2004 death, retired Illinois State Police Sgt. Patrick Collins also testified last week that he never considered the possibility of murder. He said he never collected any forensics evidence from the home where her body was found in a bathtub.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/01/25/general-us-drew-peterson_7301009.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »

Ohhhhhhh babyyyyyyyy this is going to be good!!!!!  I can't wait for this PIG to be brought down to the level of a slug's slime that drags across the concrete!  I HATE HIM!

Judge: Minister can reveal talks with Stacy Peterson at trial

January 26, 2010

A Will County judge says a Bolingbrook minister can reveal conversations he had at a coffee shop with Stacy Peterson, who disappeared in 2007.

Minister Neil Schori provided marriage counseling to Drew Peterson and his fourth wife, Stacy.

Schori is a witness at the "hearsay" hearing to determine what evidence prosecutors can present at Drew Peterson's upcoming trial in the death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. Peterson has pleaded not guilty.

Will County Judge Stephen White also ruled Tuesday that Schori can't reveal conversations he had with Drew and Stacy Peterson at their home or conversations he had with Drew Peterson.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/peterson/2011844,drew-peterson-hearsay-savio-012610.article

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583997,00.html?test=latestnews

Witness Says Peterson Bragged He Could Cover Up Murder

Tuesday , January 26, 2010

JOLIET, Ill. —
An aunt of former Illinois police officer Drew Peterson's missing wife testified Tuesday that he once bragged he could kill someone and "make it look like an accident."

Candace Aikin testified that Drew Peterson made the boast in front of her, Stacy Peterson and others at a family gathering in January 2007, months before Stacy disappeared.

"I just remember him saying something like he could kill and make it look like an accident," Aikin said.

She said Stacy Peterson heard that and replied, "Not with this chick you don't."

Aikin also said Stacy and Drew Peterson often fought, and that her niece told her he would follow her from room to room while she was speaking on the phone.

Drew Peterson, a former Bolingbrook police officer, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the 2004 death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. Authorities exhumed her body and ruled her death a homicide only after Stacy Peterson vanished three years later.

Drew Peterson hasn't been charged in Stacy Peterson's disappearance, but authorities say he's the only suspect.

Aikin's friend, Donna Badalamenti, also testified. Badalamenti, who has know Stacy Peterson for years, said they were at a family event in 2003 when Peterson told her that if the marriage to Stacy Peterson didn't work out he would kill himself.

Badalamenti told Drew Peterson not to say that, and she said he responded, "Then I'll kill her."

Earlier Tuesday, Will County Judge Stephen White ruled that Neil Schori, a counseling minister at Westbrook Christian Church in Bolingbrook, could testify about some of what was said during conversations he had at a coffee shop with Stacy Peterson. It was unclear how much of the conversations the judge would allow, but he was expected to rule Wednesday.

White also ruled that Schori couldn't reveal what was said during conversations he had with Drew and Stacy Peterson at their home or during conversations he had with Drew Peterson.

Schori was expected to resume testifying on Wednesday.

Defense attorneys objected to Schori testifying about any conversations with Drew Peterson, arguing that they should be confidential because Schori was acting as a religious minister. But prosecutors argued that the privilege doesn't apply because Westbrook is a nondenominational church and had no specific rules about confidentiality.

The focus of the pretrial hearing, now in its second week, is the possible use of "hearsay" evidence in the Savio case.

Hearsay, or statements not based on the direct knowledge of a witness, usually isn't admissible in court. Illinois judges can allow it in murder trials if prosecutors prove a defendant may have killed a witness to prevent them from testifying. There's little available forensic evidence in Savio's case, so prosecutors are expected to rely on statements Savio allegedly made to others saying she feared Peterson could kill her.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »

Former prosecutor: Never got Kathleen Savio letter
1/27/2010, 6:59 p.m. ESTThe Associated Press   

(AP) — JOLIET, Ill. - A former Will County prosecutor says she doesn't remember receiving a letter from Drew Peterson's third wife where she allegedly spelled out how she feared Peterson.

Elizabeth Fragale (FRUH'-gaw-lee) testified at a pretrial hearing Wednesday on what "hearsay" evidence could be used when Peterson is tried on charges he killed Kathleen Savio.

Fragale says she does remember meeting Savio in 2002, two years before her lifeless body was found in her bathtub. At the meeting, Savio pleaded with Fragale to dismiss domestic violence charges against her. Savio was later acquitted.

At the same meeting, Fragale says she remembers Savio saying former police officer Drew Peterson was abusive, and that she told Savio to talk to Illinois State Police and get an order of protection.
http://www.syracuse.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/politics-16/126464100760870.xml&storylist=politics

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2010, 10:40:14 AM »

Peterson 'unusual' just after wife vanished, court told

Ex-Bolingbrook cop referred to Stacy Peterson in the past tense, investigator testifies

January 27, 2010

On the day his wife was reported missing, Drew Peterson referred to her in the past tense, would not let state police search their home or cars for evidence and repeatedly bragged about his sex life, an Illinois State Police special agent testified Wednesday in Will County court.

"I thought it was very unusual and awkward," said special agent Patrick Callaghan, who was asked to recount his initial interviews with Peterson in the days after Stacy Peterson's Oct. 28, 2007, disappearance. "I think that it was his attempt to ease the situation."

Callaghan's testimony came during the second week of a pretrial hearing on whether certain hearsay statements can be heard in the murder trial against Drew Peterson, 56. Though he is charged with killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio, much of the testimony so far has involved the disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy.

Peterson, a former Bolingbrook police sergeant, is the sole suspect in Stacy's disappearance but has not been charged. Judge Stephen White said the Rev. Neil Schori, a pastor whose testimony is expected to connect both cases, will take the stand Friday.

On Wednesday, Callaghan testified that during the first interview with Peterson on Oct. 29, hours after Stacy's sister had reported her missing to police, Peterson said Stacy had called him the night before to say she was leaving with another man and had dropped her car, a Pontiac Grand Prix, at nearby Clow Airport.

Callaghan said he asked Peterson how he got the car back home, a question that "caught him off guard."

Peterson paused for a couple of seconds, Callaghan said, then answered, "Can you believe that?" Peterson said Stacy told him she had left the keys on the floorboard and the doors unlocked.

Peterson wouldn't allow police to search either of his two vehicles, only opening the trunk of the Grand Prix, Callaghan said. He also refused to allow a search of his home, only permitting a crime-scene investigator to walk through — with Peterson at his side — to confirm Stacy wasn't there, Callaghan said.

Phone records show Peterson had conversations with his stepbrother Thomas Morphey in the weeks before Stacy disappeared, Callaghan said. But Peterson told police on Nov. 1 that he hadn't spoken with Morphey in two weeks. Morphey has testified he helped Peterson move a barrel he believes contained Stacy's body on Oct. 28.

Callaghan said Peterson repeatedly referred to his wife in the past tense, such as "she was a good mom," or "she was a hot 23-year-old." He admitted that he was possessive of his much-younger wife, Callaghan said.

Callaghan said Peterson told the officers that he and Stacy were having marital problems, but that their fights coincided with Stacy's menstrual cycle, and that they would always make up and "have great sex" afterward.

He said Peterson brought up, unasked, the couple's sex life three or four times during the interview, something he found "awkward."

In 2002, then-Will County Assistant State's Attorney Elizabeth Fragale received an impassioned letter from Savio asking for help and alleging Peterson had attacked her. Fragale left the state's attorney's office in 2004, the same year Savio was found dead, and was prosecuting two domestic battery charges filed against Savio.

Fragale testified Wednesday that Peterson repeatedly sought to have Savio "prosecuted to the full extent" — once coming to her office in uniform unannounced — and said she got the impression Peterson wanted to use the charges as leverage in his divorce battle.

A woman who testified she had a 9-month affair with Peterson while he was married to Savio said he told her in 1998 that he didn't want to get divorced because his wife would take half his pension.

Susan McCauley, who at the time was a bartender at Peterson's Montgomery pub, said Peterson told her that he and a friend were on a "street death squad," adding, "if you ever needed anyone taken care of."

Peterson, wearing a plaid suit in court, laughed when McCauley testified that the only gift she received during the affair was a "very cheap necklace."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-0128-drew-peterson-hearing-20100127,0,1766037.story

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584169,00.html?test=latestnews

Witness Testifies Peterson Wanted Him to Kill Third Wife

Thursday , January 28, 2010

JOLIET, Ill. —
Months before Drew Peterson's ex-wife Kathleen Savio was found dead in her bathtub the former police sergeant asked a one-time co-worker if he could find someone to "have his third wife taken care of," the co-worker testified Thursday.

Jeff Pachter said Peterson told him during a ride in Peterson's squad car in the winter of 2003 that he'd pay Pachter $25,000 and he didn't care how Pachter divided the money. Pachter said that while Peterson never used the words kill or murdered, "I thought it was to have her murdered."

Pachter said he didn't take Peterson's offer seriously, saying he simply responded, "OK," but did nothing about it.

The testimony is part of a hearing to determine what "hearsay" evidence prosecutors can present to jurors when Drew Peterson stands trial in Savio's death.

Peterson, 56, a former Bolingbrook police officer, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in Savio's death. He is also considered the only suspect in the 2007 disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson.

Pachter said Peterson explained to him that he asked Pachter partly because Pachter works in a dangerous section of Joliet. Pachter said he understood that to mean Peterson believed he would be able to find a drug dealer or gang member to carry out the job.

Pachter, who said he met Peterson when the two worked for a cable company, is a convicted sex offender who acknowledged he owed his bookie $1,000 at the time and had marital problems. Prosecutors suggested in their questions that Peterson chose Pachter because he wouldn't be the kind of person who authorities would believe over the word of a police officer.

Pachter said he hadn't heard about Savio's death in March 2004 until he telephoned Peterson the following July to ask about Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy, and the baby she had recently delivered. Pachter said Peterson said during the call, "By the way, the favor that I asked you, I don't need it anymore."

He said Peterson explained that Savio had fallen in her bathtub, hit her head and died.

Peterson has not been charged in Stacy Peterson's disappearance, but much of the testimony has centered on her disappearance as prosecutors attempt to establish a link between the two cases.

Earlier Thursday, Stacy Peterson's sister Cassandra Cales testified that two days before Stacy Peterson disappeared she told Cales she was afraid of Drew Peterson.

"She said she feared for her life and if anything ever happened to her, Drew did something to her," Cales said.

In previous testimony, a neighbor of Stacy and Drew Peterson testified that shortly before she disappeared, Stacy Peterson told her the same thing.

Cales said when Stacy Peterson told her about her plans to divorce Peterson and leave with her children, Cales became frightened. Cales said she mentioned to Stacy Peterson that Savio's death was "kind of weird." But Stacy Peterson didn't respond, Cales said.

Cales also testified that on the night she reported her sister missing, Drew Peterson told her that Stacy had left him for another man and had taken $25,000.

More than 30 witnesses have testified in the hearing, which is in its seventh day and is expected to last at least another week.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »

http://www.bnd.com/breaking_news/story/1108556.html
Friday, Jan. 29, 2010
| Comments (0) | Recommend (0)
Minister to take stand in Peterson hearing
The Associated Press
Bookmark and Share
email this story to a friend E-Mail print story Print
Text Size:
tool name
close
tool goes here

JOLIET, Ill. -- A minister who counseled former policeman Drew Peterson's fourth wife before she disappeared is set to take the witness stand at a pretrial hearing on "hearsay" evidence.

Neil Schori says he met with Stacy Peterson a number of times after she asked him at the Bolingbrook church where he once worked to provide her marriage counseling.

Drew Peterson is charged with the 2004 slaying of Kathleen Savio, to whom he was married before he married Stacy Peterson. He's been named a suspect in the 2007 disappearance of Stacy Peterson but has not been charged.
The testimony scheduled to take place Friday is considered significant because of widespread media reports that Stacy Peterson told a minister that Drew Peterson confessed to her that he killed Savio

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2010, 08:06:07 AM »

Chicago Sun Times 
January 28, 2010 Thursday

Pretrial trial puts Peterson on hot seat; Does hearsay testimony show he's a kidder -- or a killer?

Mark Brown, The Chicago Sun-Times 

Drove down to Joliet on Wednesday to see Drew Peterson, a first for me, so first things first.

To borrow a cliche, he's not as big as he looks on television -- or in those photos where he's shown standing alongside his missing wife, Stacy.

I'd put him at 6 feet tall, not nearly as imposing as I'd imagined.

What's big, though, is his head. The guy has a huge head, large enough I'd guess to accommodate a larger-than-normal brain. Seeing that head really makes you think about what goes on inside it -- in light of the accusations that Peterson got away with killing one wife and making another disappear.

If what Will County prosecutors want us to believe about Peterson is true, and I'm not saying it is, some scientist ought to get a look at that brain someday. As it is, they've still got a long way to go to prove their case, no matter how much we might believe he's guilty as we follow along from home.

The oddest testimony Wednesday came from one of Peterson's former fellow officers with the Bolingbrook police, who was asked by defense attorney Joel Brodsky to give examples of why Peterson had a reputation as a practical jokester.

"He put a live goose in the squad car one time," recalled Richard Treece, who spent 15 years working with Peterson.

On another occasion, Treece said, Peterson bought a lottery ticket with the winning numbers from the previous day's drawing, then put it in the office pile with the tickets for the earlier drawing, which had yet to be checked, causing everyone to think they'd won the jackpot.

That Drew. What a card.

Brodsky elicited the testimony to blunt the impact of many of Peterson's alleged statements, such as his supposedly telling an earlier witness his police training would enable him to kill someone and get away with it. The idea is that Drew is always kidding around, and you can never take what he says seriously.

On Wednesday, a former Peterson girlfriend -- a bartender he dated while married to third wife Kathy Savio, the one he's accused of killing -- testified he once left her behind at a friend's house, telling her he was part of a "street death squad" and had some business to take care of.

Later, the police officer, Treece, recounted a 2004 conversation in a courthouse hallway where Peterson, angered by the sight of his divorce lawyer laughing it up with Savio's lawyer, said "he'd be better off if that bitch was dead."

You can see why there would be confusion about when Peterson is to be taken seriously.

They're in the second week of a pretrial hearing to determine what hearsay evidence prosecutors will be allowed to use against Peterson at the real trial -- the hearing was required under a new state law specifically designed to nail him.

I've gotta say I've been dubious about that law from the start.

It's a dangerous business to make a law to go after a single person, and there's no denying that's what happened here with "Drew's Law," even though it will be in place to apply to others going forward.

I had expected, therefore, that the defense bar would be up in arms over allowing this type of hearsay evidence, but that's apparently not the case.

We've always had exceptions to the rule that bars hearsay evidence, I was reminded, and it only makes common sense that such an exception should apply in a case where it can be proved that a defendant killed a witness to keep that person from testifying. Emphasis on proved.

The rules against hearsay are designed to protect the constitutional right of the accused to confront their accusers, which a defendant can't really do if the accuser is dead. But if you're responsible for killing that person, you can see that you shouldn't be able to complain that you can't cross-examine the victim.

The lawyers call this "forfeiture by wrongdoing," and the U.S. Supreme Court has already upheld the concept in a California case.

But the defense community is upset with Drew's Law for another reason -- that it requires this hearing, which is really a full-blown "pretrial trial."

At the end of this hearing, Judge Stephen White will have to rule whether the "preponderance of the evidence" shows Peterson killed somebody to keep that person from testifying. If he agrees that it does, prosecutors could use the hearsay evidence in a trial at which they then would have to prove that Peterson is guilty by meeting the higher threshold of "beyond a reasonable doubt."

The question is how Peterson gets a fair trial after White has made that ruling, and how White impartially presides over that trial. Some believe this will open the door for an appeal.

Peterson's goose isn't cooked just yet.
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1116854517&start=8

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »

Minister: Stacy Peterson said her husband disappeared the night before ex-wife was found dead

Last update: January 29, 2010 - 3:26 PM
JOLIET, Ill. - A minister says former Illinois police officer Drew Peterson's fourth wife told him her husband had disappeared the night before his third wife was found dead.

The testimony from the Rev. Neil Schori came a pretrial hearing to determine what hearsay evidence a judge will allow jurors to hear when Peterson stands trial in the 2004 death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Schori also said Stacy Peterson had told him that her husband had coached her about what to tell police.

Savio's death was originally ruled an accident. Her body was exhumed after Drew Peterson was named a suspect in the disappearance of Stacy Peterson in October 2007. A new autopsy was conducted and her death was ruled a homicide.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/83060667.html?elr=KArks:DCiUMEaPc:UiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »

Minister testifies in Drew Peterson hearing
By DON BABWIN , 01.29.10, 04:59 PM

JOLIET, Ill. -- Former Illinois police officer Drew Peterson's fourth wife had told a minister that the night before her husband's ex-wife was found dead, he had disappeared, only to turn up later dressed in black and carrying a bag of women's clothes, the minister testified Friday.

The testimony from the Rev. Neil Schori was the most potentially damaging yet during a pretrial hearing to determine what hearsay evidence a judge will allow jurors to hear when Peterson stands trial in the 2004 death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio, whose body was found in a dry bathtub in her home. Schori also said Stacy Peterson had told him that her husband had coached her about what to tell police.

The hearing stems from a state law that allows a judge to admit hearsay evidence in first-degree murder cases if prosecutors can prove a defendant killed a witness to prevent him or her from testifying.

In the nearly two weeks the hearing has gone on, witness after witness has limited testimony to either Savio or Stacy Peterson. Schori's testimony provided the clearest connection between the two cases.

Drew Peterson, a former Bolingbrook police sergeant, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder. He has not been charged in Stacy Peterson's disappearance, but authorities say he is considered the only suspect.

Stacy Peterson spoke with Schori, a counseling minister at Westbrook Christian Church in Bolingbrook, months before she went missing in 2007.

"She was scared of the control Drew had on her life," Schori said. "She was scared to be with him and scared to be away from him."

Schori said that Stacy Peterson told him that the night before Savio's body was found, she had fallen asleep with Drew Peterson, but woke up in the middle of the night to discover her husband was gone. She searched the house and called his cell phone without an answer, but didn't see her husband until later in the laundry room, Schori said.

Schori said Stacy Peterson told him her husband was dressed entirely in black. The minister said Stacy Peterson told him that her husband dumped the clothes was wearing, along with women's clothing from a bag he was carrying, into the washing machine. Schori said Stacy Peterson said the women's clothes weren't hers.

Schori said he didn't tell police because Stacy Peterson asked him not to. Schori testified that she told him: "It won't do any good. You can't get away from the police when your husband is a police officer."

But Schori said he "immediately" tried to contact police after Stacy Peterson's disappearance.

The judge limited Schori's testimony, preventing him from talking about conversations Stacy Peterson had with her husband, among other things.

Scott Rossetto, a friend of Stacy Peterson, said that days before Stacy Peterson disappeared she told him she had contacted a divorce lawyer and was ready to leave her husband.

Then, he said, she asked if Rossetto could "keep a secret." She then told him that the night Savio died, Drew Peterson came in late at night and said "if anybody ever asks I was home," Rossetto said.

Prosecutors also presented a neurologist to combat defense attorneys' contention that Savio's death was an accident, that she simply fell. Dr. Gene Neri testified that he had diagnosed her with cervical vertigo, but he said "In 30 years of treating (patients) I haven't had a single person fall as a result of cervical vertigo."

In fact, he said that's because people with this particular kind of vertigo are extremely careful.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/01/29/general-us-drew-peterson_7315862.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

CarolF
Scared Monkey

« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »

Minister: Stacy Peterson said her husband disappeared the night before ex-wife was found dead

Last update: January 29, 2010 - 3:26 PM
JOLIET, Ill. - A minister says former Illinois police officer Drew Peterson's fourth wife told him her husband had disappeared the night before his third wife was found dead.

The testimony from the Rev. Neil Schori came a pretrial hearing to determine what hearsay evidence a judge will allow jurors to hear when Peterson stands trial in the 2004 death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Schori also said Stacy Peterson had told him that her husband had coached her about what to tell police.

Savio's death was originally ruled an accident. Her body was exhumed after Drew Peterson was named a suspect in the disappearance of Stacy Peterson in October 2007. A new autopsy was conducted and her death was ruled a homicide.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/83060667.html?elr=KArks:DCiUMEaPc:UiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Thank you Nut44x4, Trimmonthelake and Klaasend for posting on Drew. I sure hope they are able to nail his azz.  I am disappointed that we are not hearing this more on the news channels. I guess Tiger is more important.  NOT!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »

http://www.legalinfo.com/legal-news/%E2%80%9Cdrews-law%E2%80%9D-allows-the-dead-to-testify.html
Drew’s Law” Allows the Dead to Testify
Posted: Friday, January 29th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2010, 09:28:28 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-peterson-brother-20100129,0,3598883.story
 Stacy Peterson's brother agonizes through trial
Yelton Cales angered by prosecution's descriptions of Drew Peterson's third wife
 By Erika Slife, Tribune reporter

January 30, 2010
 It wasn't easy for Yelton Cales to listen to testimony last week suggesting Drew Peterson may have killed his younger sister. It's been hard to sit still as Peterson's attorneys disparage her as an attention-seeking flirt, someone who would leave her two young children and run off with another man.

But what really hurts, said Cales in his first interview since Stacy Peterson vanished Oct. 28, 2007, is testimony that will suddenly stir up good memories of his sister. Like the time she painted and decorated his room, leaving stacks of Diet Pepsi — his favorite drink — in the closet as a surprise gift. Or the descriptions of his sister by witnesses as friendly, outgoing — or "bouncy," as Cales put it.

"It hurts," said Cales, 30, describing the pain as a punch in the gut. "There's no closure."

As the second week ended in the pretrial hearing of whether hearsay statements will be allowed at the trial of Peterson, who is charged with the 2004 drowning of his third wife, Kathleen Savio, much of the testimony has centered on Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy Peterson, and her alleged fear of Drew Peterson and desire to divorce him. Peterson, a former Bolingbrook police sergeant, remains a suspect in her disappearance but has not been charged.

With nearly 60 people on the prosecution's witness list, including Stacy Peterson's younger sister, an aunt and an uncle, Cales is one of the few family members allowed to sit in court and watch the case unfold. The privilege is not without cost for Cales, whose sex-offense history has been invoked repeatedly by Drew Peterson's attorneys in an attempt to undermine the state's witnesses.

Peterson's attorneys have suggested that Cales molested Stacy Peterson, who is four years younger than him.

"They're trying to irritate me," said Cales, who was freed from prison in June after serving nearly three years for aggravated criminal sexual assault but vehemently denies being inappropriate with his sister. "Drew won't even look at me."

Cales is a registered sex-offender for crimes against a 16-year-old girl in 2005. Other prison stints were for domestic battery and possession of a motor vehicle.
Cales said he does not care what others think of him; it's the thought of Peterson's attorneys trashing his sister's reputation that puts him on edge.

"Ninety percent of what Drew is saying is lies," he said.
Continued here..... http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-peterson-brother-20100129,0,3598883.story?page=2

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »

Chicago Sun Times

January 30, 2010 Saturday

Minister: Drew urged wife to lie; Says Stacy was told what to tell police regarding Savio 

Just before Stacy Peterson vanished, she told a friend that her husband, Drew Peterson, had ordered her to lie to police questioning her about the 2004 drowning death of his third wife.

An anxious Stacy confided that Peterson warned her not to tell investigators he had left their Bolingbrook home the night before his former wife, Kathleen Savio, was found dead in her bathtub, Scott Rossetto testified Friday.

"He came home real, real late, all dressed in black, and said, 'If anybody asks, I was home all night,' " Rossetto said Stacy told him on Oct. 26, 2007 -- two days before she disappeared.

Stacy's former minister offered similar testimony, saying she confessed during an August 2007 marriage counseling session that her husband coached her "for hours" not to be honest when questioned by police about Savio's death.

"He told her what to say," Pastor Neil Schori said. "She said what he told her to say was a lie."

The testimony came during a critical pre-trial hearing to determine if indirect hearsay evidence will be allowed when Peterson, 56, stands trial for allegedly drowning Savio in her bathtub. Will County prosecutors are trying to introduce statements purportedly made by Savio and others -- including Stacy Peterson -- to show that Drew Peterson killed Savio and caused Stacy's still-unsolved disappearance.

Sun-Times columnist Michael Sneed first reported that Stacy had confided in a clergyman just before she disappeared.

That clergyman -- Schori -- had said publicly in media interviews that the 23-year-old Stacy told him Drew Peterson had admitted drowning Savio.

But Will County Judge Stephen White barred much of that testimony after defense attorneys argued that most of Stacy's purported statements to Schori -- including comments Peterson allegedly made to her -- couldn't be used without her consent.

Instead, Schori recounted only small portions of what he said Stacy told him occurred shortly before Savio was found drowned in her home on March 1, 2004.

That included Stacy recalling how her husband came home late the night before, wearing black clothing and carrying a duffel bag containing women's clothing that Stacy said didn't belong to her, Schori testified. Peterson dumped all the clothing in the washing machine, Schori said Stacy told him.

Peterson told Stacy to lie to officers questioning her about Savio's death, Schori said, though he offered no details.

At their Aug. 31, 2007, counseling session, Stacy also said she was fearful of her husband, the minister testified.

"She didn't believe she could ever get away from him safely," Schori testified. "She said he made it very clear that she would never get away from him, that she would never be with someone else."

For his part, Rossetto said Stacy mentioned Savio's death as they talked at his home about Stacy's desire to divorce Peterson and her concerns about gaining custody of her two children and two stepchildren.

"She lowered her voice, then she asked me, 'Can you keep a secret?' " Rossetto, a 37-year-old U.S. Army nurse, quoted Stacy as saying.

Stacy then recounted how Drew had ordered her to tell police he had been home all night, Rossetto said.

Pressed by defense attorneys, Rossetto acknowledged that Stacy had grown increasingly flirtatious with him in the weeks leading up to her disappearance, including sending sexually suggestive text messages. But Rossetto -- whose brother dated Stacy before she married Peterson -- denied having any romantic interest in her.

Peterson's attorneys dismissed the testimony from both men as unreliable, contending each had offered differing accounts in earlier testimony they made to a Will County grand jury.

"What's apparent is that even over a short period of time, they can't recall what transpired," defense attorney Andrew Abood said.
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1118153939&start=6

This POS needs to die  I despise him  and that's being nice.... lol.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2010, 08:10:39 PM »

Sister: Savio asked, 'Take care of my boys'
Updated: 02/02/2010

JOLIET, Ill.—Former police officer Drew Peterson's ex-wife was so afraid of him that she kept changing the locks on her doors, and so certain it wouldn't do any good, that she asked her sister to care for her two sons after her death, the sister testified Tuesday.
Anna Doman said her sister, Kathleen Savio, visited her home six weeks before she was found dead in her bathtub in 2004 and pleaded for help.

"She said, 'You have to promise me, you have to promise me to take care of my boys . . . Drew said he'd kill me,'" Doman testified.

Savio once talked about how Peterson had bound her hands and feet, then told her he could kill her and that nobody would know he did it, Doman said.

The hearing, which was in its third week, was to determine what hearsay evidence will be allowed at Peterson's upcoming murder trial.

Doman testified that Savio said she had put important documents in her garage and asked Anna Doman to rush to the house to retrieve them should Savio die.

"She said, 'Everything you need is in here,'" Doman recalled. Doman said she did retrieve the documents after her sister died, but she did not discuss their contents during the hearing.

Doman said Savio's family members suspected Peterson immediately. She said her sister, Sue Doman, confronted Peterson with those suspicions. "Suzy looked at Drew and said, 'Why did you kill my sister?'" Anna Doman said.

Sue Doman recounted earlier Tuesday that Peterson claimed he had found Savio's will after she died, taunting her about it.

"He said, 'Ha, ha, ha. Tell Anna I found the will under the floorboards, and you guys aren't going to get anything."

Earlier Tuesday, Savio's boyfriend said he told police just hours after Savio's body was discovered that Peterson might be involved.

Steve Maniaci testified that Illinois State Police investigators assured him they would consider her death a homicide until proven otherwise, but when prosecutors recently allowed him to look at the 2004 police report from that night—it included none of his concerns.

Maniaci said Savio told him repeatedly that she was afraid of Peterson and feared he could kill her and make it look like an accident. Such talk intensified in the days before her death as she and Peterson fought over property they once held in common as husband and wife.

With that conflict in mind, Maniaci immediately confronted Peterson when he arrived at Savio's house the night her body was found.

"I said, 'I sure hope you didn't have anything to do with this,'" Maniaci testified.

When Peterson insisted he didn't, Maniaci responded in reference to the dispute over property, "'It sure worked out good for you.'"

His testimony came after the lead investigator in the case, retired State Police Sgt. Patrick Collins, conceded he believed her death was an accident from almost the minute he stepped into Savio's suburban Chicago home. And he agreed he conducted a less-than-thorough investigation, even failing to collect any forensic evidence from the scene.

Prosecutors know the cause of death will be a key issue at Peterson's trial, and they will likely rely on Maniaci's testimony to help demonstrate there were signs Savio's death was a homicide staged to look like an accident. Peterson's attorneys have argued her death was accidental.

Maniaci testified on Tuesday, for example, that two nights before her body was found, he saw no bruises on her elbow, finger or buttocks like the bruises clearly visible on photographs shot of Savio after her death.

Asked if he had seen scratches on her arms two nights before, Maniaci, barely able to look at the photographs, answered quietly, "No."

Shown a photograph of Savio in the bathtub with her hair down, Maniaci also said she always put her long hair up when she took at bath.

http://**/breaking-news/ci_14318423

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.