March 28, 2024, 10:53:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drew Peterson arrested/indicted for murder 3rd wife Kathleen Savio #1(GUILTY)  (Read 311207 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #320 on: April 06, 2012, 12:58:18 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/11738001-452/jailers-find-stuff-in-drew-peterson-cell.html

Jailers find stuff in Drew Peterson cell
By MICHAEL SNEED msneed@suntimes.com
April 6, 2012 3:50AM

The Peterson file . . .

Hunt & Hound: Sneed is told the guards at Will County Jail “flipped” accused wife murderer Drew Peterson’s cell last week searching for possible contraband.

◆ The upshot: They found stuff all right. One too many plastic spoons and an extra cereal bowl.

◆ Backshot: Peterson, who is still the prime suspect in the disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson — has been in prison for nearly three years awaiting trial for the murder of his third wife, Kathleen Savio
 ::snipping2::
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #321 on: April 06, 2012, 11:53:33 PM »

http://romeoville.patch.com/articles/peterson-pal-picked-up-by-naperville-police

Peterson Pal Picked Up By Naperville Police

The man who found Drew Peterson's third wife drowned in her dry bathtub was arrested by the Naperville police in connection with battering his brother.

Steve Carcerano, 44, of Bolingbrook was taken into custody March 27 in connection with an incident three weeks earlier near the intersection of Freedom Drive and Warrenville Road.

Carcerano and his brother were together in a vehicle at the time of the reported battery, said Naperville police Sgt. Gregg Bell.
Carcerano's ties to Peterson

Carcerano was a neighbor of Peterson's third wife, Kathleen Savio. In March 2004, Peterson told Carcerano to go into Savio's home after he had failed to contact her in several days. Peterson waited outside while Carcerano went in and upstairs.

Carcerano found Savio's body laying dead in her bathtub. After he made the grisly discovery, Carcerano said Peterson rushed up the stairs after him and called out, “Oh, my God!”

Three and a half years later, following the mysterious disappearance of Peterson's next wife, Stacy Peterson, Carcerano and Drew Peterson made the Bolingbrook social scene, regularly showing up in some of the town's hottest night spots, such as Tailgater's.

In my 2008 nonfiction sensation Fatal Vows: The Tragic Wives of Sergeant Drew Peterson, Carcerano explained "it was important for him to accompany Peterson to a bar or restaurant so that he could be 'the eyes' in case 'somebody tries to stick a knife in Drew’s neck.'”
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #322 on: April 07, 2012, 02:01:09 AM »

Drew is another one I'm waiting on to get worms.  Big, long, nasty ones.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #323 on: April 12, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/11862844-418/court-allows-hearsay-evidence-against-drew-peterson.html

Court allows hearsay evidence against Drew Peterson
BY DAN ROZEK Staff Reporter drozek@suntimes.com April 12, 2012 2:42PM
Updated: April 12, 2012 2:54PM

Dealing a crucia Dealing a crucial setback to Drew Peterson, an Illinois appellate court has ruled prosecutors can present additional hearsay evidence implicating the former Bolingbrook cop in the drowning death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

The new ruling released Thursday means eight more secondhand statements — including some purportedly made by Savio before her 2004 death — can be used against Peterson by Will County prosecutors when he stands trial on murder charges.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #324 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

"Thursday's Appellate Court Opinion" at link

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/illinois-appellate-court-overturns-peterson-hearsay-limits-47205145.html

Appellate Court Overturns Peterson Hearsay Limits
An Illinois Appellate Court reversed a lower court's 2011 decision to limit the amount of hearsay testimony that would be allowed to go on record in the trial
By Jeff Goldblatt
Thursday, Apr 12, 2012  |  Updated 2:53 PM CDT

Drew Peterson's late wife Kathleen Savio could be allowed to testify from the grave in his coming murder trial after all.

An Illinois Appellate Court reversed a lower court's 2011 decision to limit the amount of hearsay testimony that would be allowed to go on record in the trial, essentially clearing the way for a series letters, second hand statements and comments to friends about concerns for her safety.

"The case was reversed and remanded," Peterson attorney Steve Greenberg said Thursday. "We're disappointed. We have the option to appeal. We're weighing our options right now."

Will County State's Attorney Spokesman Chuck Pellie said his office received the ruling as well but will hold comment until they read through all that it contains.

"It's a lengthy decision," Pellie said. "We are just starting to go through it now to determine what it exactly means."

What it likely means is that more hearsay evidence will be allowed on the record when Peterson's trial begins.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/illinois-appellate-court-overturns-peterson-hearsay-limits-47205145.html#ixzz1rrIOApNp
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #325 on: April 12, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »

Court gives OK for hearsay in Drew Peterson case

Published April 12, 2012

Associated Press

CHICAGO –  A state appellate court has given the go-ahead for some hearsay evidence at the trial of a former suburban Chicago police officer accused of killing his third wife.

The jailed Peterson was charged only after his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson, disappeared in 2007 and Savio's body was exhumed. Prosecutors have presented no physical evidence or eyewitnesses and have said the hearsay statements are vital.

State attorney's office spokesman Charles Pelkie says a trial is expected later this spring or early summer.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/12/court-gives-ok-for-hearsay-in-drew-peterson-case/

Edit to snip article.  MB

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:23:56 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Challapalca him!
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #326 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:34 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/sns-ap-il--drewpeterson-defense,0,2135594.story

Drew Peterson defense says it's unlikely to appeal hearsay ruling before trial
4:23 p.m. CDT, April 12, 2012

CHICAGO (AP) — An attorney for a former suburban Chicago police officer accused of killing his third wife says the defense probably won't immediately appeal an appellate court's decision to allow hearsay statements as evidence at trial.

But despite the disappointment in Thursday's ruling, Drew Peterson's lawyer says the defense "isn't afraid" of the prosecution's case and is eager for proceedings to begin.

Steven Greenberg says the defense could appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court but is leaning against doing so. He says if Peterson is convicted at the still-unscheduled murder trial, they would have the option of appealing then.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #327 on: April 13, 2012, 02:40:09 AM »

YES! 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #328 on: April 13, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »

YES! 

::justice2NJ::
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #329 on: April 13, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/04/drew-peterson-trial-words-from-grave/

Apr 13, 2012 10:54am
Drew Peterson Trial: Words From Grave

In a pre-trial hearing that ended last February, a judge heard testimony from more than 60 witnesses, including Savio’s family and friends, who said that Savio told them she expected her husband to kill her.

Savio’s sister, Susan Doman, who testified in the pre-trial hearing, said Savio predicted Peterson would kill her.

“She said, ‘Drew is going to kill me and it’s going to look like an accident…He can make me disappear,’” Doman recalled.

Stacy Peterson‘s minister, Neil Schori, who testified in the pre-trial hearing, claimed the reason she disappeared was because she knew the truth about how Peterson’s third wife had died.

The hearing centered on a 2008 Illinois state law, dubbed “Drew’s Law,” which allows for hearsay evidence in first-degree murder cases if prosecutors can show a defendant killed a victim to prevent him or her from testifying.

Savio’s death was originally ruled an accident, as her autopsy showed that she drowned. Within a year, Peterson married Stacy Peterson, and they had two children. In 2007, Stacy Peterson disappeared. Peterson was named a person-of-interest and shortly thereafter police re-opened the case surrounding Savio’s death and exhumed her body.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #330 on: April 13, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »

Video at link

http://www.wrex.com/story/17406891/machesney-park-woman-to-testify-in-drew-peterson-murder-case

Machesney Park woman to testify in Drew Peterson murder case
Posted: Apr 13, 2012 12:05 AM CDT Updated: Apr 13, 2012 12:05 AM CDT

An appellate court decides prosecutors can use hearsay statements in their murder case against former Boilingbrook Police Sergeant Drew Peterson.

He's accused of killing his third ex-wife, Kathleen Savio in 2004. "She was my sister and she was my best friend," says Susan Doman of Machesney Park.

Doman says Peterson tore apart her once close-knit family. She remembers seeing bumps and bruises on her sister, Kathleen, who gave explanations that didn't add up. "She had a black eye one time. She told me she fell and she hit a curb. Well the ring around her eye was an indentation of a fist. She said Drew Peterson did it. She told my other sister but she wouldn't tell me."

The court's ruling to allow hearsay statements give Doman the go-ahead to tell that to a jury. The night Savio died, Police called her death an accident. They never collected evidence for a murder case. That's why Doman says the testimony is so important.

Her sister Anna will testify too. Savio can effectively testify from the grave. Her family found her diary. Doman says it includes letters showing Savio struggled to survive a violent marriage. "Over a 100 page documentation of everything she was going through with Drew Peterson. He hospital reports from when she was sent to the emergency room from being hit from Drew. All of her documentation that she sent to the state asking for help, pleading for help. Feared for her life."
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #331 on: April 16, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »

http://bolingbrook.patch.com/articles/does-peterson-kill-drew-s-law

Did Peterson Appeal Kill 'Drew's Law?'
State's Attorney James Glasgow won his appeal in the Drew Peterson case, but has his triumph effectively killed the law he helped push through the state legislature?
6:00 am

About 13 months after Drew Peterson's fourth wife vanished in October 2007 and five months before he was jailed in May 2009 on charges he murdered his third wife, a bill crafted by former state Sen. A.J. Wilhelmi and Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow was passed into law.

The law allowed judges to admit hearsay evidence from witnesses who were made unavailable to testify, so long as the statements were deemed reliable.

Eight months after Peterson's arrest, the new law was put into use during a landmark, month-long hearing to determine what, if any, hearsay evidence could be used at Peterson’s murder trial. Dissatisfied with the decision by Judge Stephen White to prohibit eight of 14 hearsay statements presented to him, Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow brought the matter to the Third District Appellate Court.

Nearly two years later, the appellate judges overturned White’s ruling and gave Glasgow all his hearsay statements.

But in winning his appeal, Glasgow had to ask the court to disregard the law he helped create in favor of the state’s common law, which doesn’t include the reliability requirement, a fact not lost on the appellate judges.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »

I keep hoping that someone somewhere will run across Stacy's body.  Drew just doesn't strike me as being all that smart.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #333 on: April 17, 2012, 12:34:18 AM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/11946497-452/drew-peterson-is-down-in-the-dumps.html

Drew Peterson is down in the dumps
By MICHAEL SNEED April 16, 2012 10:36PM

The blues have hit accused wife murderer Drew Peterson, who’s spent three years in jail awaiting trial for the death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Gone are the wisecracks, jovial patter and jailhouse rock.

“They took away my right to a speedy trial,” said Peterson, via a phone call to a Sneed source. “They took away my right to confront witnesses. They’ve taken away my right to be with my children. Now they say they can use unreliable evidence [from witnesses who talked to former wives],” said Peterson. “What else can they take away. They call me a murderer of two, why don’t they call me a father of six?”

“We were ready to go to trial two years ago. I feel as if the past two years awaiting this [Illinois Appellate Court] decision have been wasted living in a cell no bigger than a walk-in closet,” Peterson told a Sneed source.

“Drew is now frustrated and disconcerted, depressed a bit ... but I don’t think clinically so,” said Peterson’s attorney, Joel Brodsky, who had to deliver news last week that previously excluded hearsay evidence dealing with Savio and Peterson’s missing wife, Stacy, may wind up being used in Peterson’s trial.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »

http://www.prnewschannel.com/2012/04/23/criminal-defense-attorney-who-will-deliver-closing-argument-at-drew-peterson-trial-is-on-winning-streak-in-recent-cases/

Criminal defense attorney who will deliver closing argument at Drew Peterson trial is on winning streak in recent cases
Peterson has been in jail since 2009 awaiting trial.
(PR NewsChannel) / April 23, 2012 / CHICAGO

The criminal defense attorney who will deliver the closing argument when Drew Peterson goes on trial is on a roll, having won all three of his most his most recent jury trials, including two where his clients were charged with murder.

Attorney Joseph R. Lopez is best known for representing members of the Chicago Outfit. When Lopez was growing up in Chicago’s Little Italy neighborhood, he was given the nickname “the Shark.”

Lead Peterson defense attorney Joel Brodsky tapped Lopez to join the defense team because of his skills and success at delivering closing arguments.

“I chose Joe because he is good at what he does,” says Brodsky. “It wasn’t a stroke of genius. It is about assembling a winning team and Joe’s track record reinforces to me that I made the right decision in giving him the closing argument.”

Two of Lopez’s recent cases were murder trials. The third involved accusations of armed robbery and extortion. Lopez delivered closing arguments in all three cases and all three defendants were found not guilty.

The closing argument is the final argument made by an attorney during a trial. It represents a summation of the evidence. Closing arguments are the last chance to talk to the jury and impact their decisions. And the closing argument is considered within the legal community to be an art form of sorts.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #335 on: April 24, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »

Drew Peterson drops appeal, says he's ready for trial to begin

Drew Peterson is ending the protracted battle over hearsay statements and is signaling he's ready to go to trial in the slaying of his ex-wife Kathleen Savio.

In a motion sent to the Third District Appellate court today, Peterson's attorneys say they will not fight a recent higher court ruling allowing prosecutors to use previously excluded hearsay statements at the former Bolingbrook police officer's murder trial.

The defense asks that the appellate court send the case back to Will County courts as soon as possible, essentially waiving the 35-day waiting period to formalize a ruling.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-drew-peterson-drops-appeal-says-he-ready-for-trial-to-begin-20120424,0,49005.story
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #336 on: April 24, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/12111322-418/drew-peterson-abandons-appeal-wants-trial-date.html

Drew Peterson abandons appeal, wants trial date
BY DAN ROZEK Staff Reporter
April 24, 2012 4:12PM

His attorneys on Tuesday formally asked the 3rd District Appellate court to return his case quickly to Will County, with Brodsky predicting the 58-year-old Peterson could stand trial as early as July.

That request means Peterson, who has been jailed since his May 2009 arrest, won’t launch an appeal asking the Illinois Supreme Court to overturn the lower court ruling allowing eight previously barred hearsay statements from being used at his trial.

Peterson initially was scheduled to stand trial in July 2010, but two appeals by Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow over disputed secondhand-statements, allegedly linking Peterson to Savio’s death, repeatedly delayed that proceeding.

There still may be other delays.

Brodsky said he likely will seek to have the controversial statements excluded from the trial — an effort that would require more hearings and take more time.

A Glasgow spokesman declined to comment on the Peterson’s latest move, except to say prosecutors are prepared for his trial.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/12296365-418/drew-peterson-hearing-set-for-friday-in-will-county-court.html

Drew Peterson hearing set for Friday in Will County court
May 3, 2012 1:22PM
Updated: May 3, 2012 2:09PM

Former Bolingbrook cop Drew Peterson will be in a Will County courtroom Friday, where he may learn which judge will preside over his upcoming murder trial.

Peterson is returning to court after deciding not to fight a crucial Illinois appellate court ruling involving what hearsay evidence can be used against him when he is tried for the 2004 drowning death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Though Peterson is scheduled to appear Friday morning before Judge Sarah Jones, it’s not clear yet if she will preside over his trial, which is expected to take place later this year.

“We don’t know what judge is going to be assigned,” Will County state’s attorney spokesman Charles Pelkie said.

Judge Stephen White, who initially presided over Peterson’s case, retired while the case was on appeal
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/03/drew-peterson-to-attend-first-court-hearing-in-years/

Drew Peterson To Attend First Court Hearing In Years
May 3, 2012 2:45 PM

Peterson has been held in protective custody while in jail, meaning he has no contact with other prisoners. He can only visit with immediate family members and his attorneys.

Not much substantive is expected to come out of Friday’s hearing, which will deal mainly with pretrial motions, attorneys’ schedules, and assigning a new trial judge, after the original trial judge retired.

It could be another week or more until an actual trial date is set – possibly for June or July.

“He’ll be happy just to see the process rolling again,” Brodsky said of Peterson
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-peterson-will-county-20120504,0,4094399.story

New judge in Peterson case a former Will County state's attorney
Case against former police sergeant has been on hold since 2010
10:15 a.m. CDT, May 4, 2012

Drew Peterson appeared in a Will County courtroom today for the first time in nearly two years, and got a new judge assigned to his case.

Dressed in a blue jail jumpsuit, Peterson joked with deputies guarding him and shook hands with his four attorneys before the hearing got underway.

During brief proceedings, the case was assigned to Will County Associate Judge Edward Burmila, who once served as Will County's chief prosecutor. Another hearing was scheduled for May 17.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.