March 19, 2024, 03:36:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drew Peterson arrested/indicted for murder 3rd wife Kathleen Savio #1(GUILTY)  (Read 310847 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »

Chicago Sun Times 
May 11, 2009 Monday

Drew's lawyer says prosecutor 'really doesn't have a case'  Rolling Eyes

Prosecutor James Glasgow "really doesn't have a case" against accused wife-killer Drew Peterson, his defense attorney says.

Joel Brodsky -- who was en route to New York when Peterson was arrested last week -- stepped off a plane at O'Hare Airport on Sunday and lambasted Glasgow as an overzealous prosecutor who has hitched a weak case to circumstantial evidence.

The ex-Bolingbrook police officer maintains his "total, complete innocence in Kathy Savio's death," Brodsky said.

He vowed a fight to slash Peterson's $20 million bond. With his roots in the community, it should have been less than $1 million, Brodsky said.

The case is "not just hearsay, but double hearsay," Brodsky said.

He was referring to statements purportedly made by Savio, Peterson's third wife, about his threats, and comments allegedly made by Stacy, his missing fourth wife, to a pastor.

Peterson has been cracking wise since his arrest about jailhouse food and "bling" (handcuffs).

It's a defense mechanism, Brodsky said.

"Drew does not think this situation he's in is funny," he said. "His comments certainly don't help. . . . I've discussed that with Drew."

Given the publicity, Brodsky said he's considering whether Peterson would have a better chance at a fair trial with jurors from outside the area.

The defense will focus on the constitutionality of a new state law that makes it easier to use hearsay, and differing medical opinions on Savio's autopsy, Brodsky said. 
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:969974915&start=1

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519942,00.html

Families of Drew Peterson's Wives May Challenge Custody
Tuesday , May 12, 2009

Drew Peterson, charged in the death of his third wife and suspected in the disappearance of his fourth, soon might face another legal battle: a custody fight.

The ex-cop had two children with Kathleen Savio, whom he's accused of killing, and another two with Stacy Peterson, who has been missing since 2007. Drew Peterson's adult son Stephen announced Monday that he has taken custody of the children, but relatives of Savio and Stacy Peterson are looking into whether they can change that.

"We'd seen a lawyer a ways back and were told we'd have to wait until he was charged," said Pamela Bosco, a friend of Stacy Peterson who has acted as a spokeswoman for her family. "We have to go back to a lawyer and see what's available to us."

Click here for photos.

"It's an issue that's moved to the front burner," said Martin Glink, an attorney representing Savio's father and sister, who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Peterson shortly before his arrest last week. He added, however, that he hasn't talked about the issue with his clients or anyone else in the Savio family.

Peterson, 55, is being held in lieu of $20 million bond as he awaits a hearing next week on first-degree murder charges in the 2004 death of Savio, who was found drowned in a dry bathtub, a gash to the back of her head.

He has two boys, ages 16 and 14, with Savio and a 5-year-old boy and 4-year-old girl with Stacy Peterson. Peterson has long maintained his innocence in Savio's death and Stacy Peterson's disappearance.

Stephen Peterson, Drew Peterson's son from a previous marriage, issued a statement Monday on behalf of his siblings, noting that they are staying with him.

"All of the children of Drew Peterson fully support their father and know that he is innocent of the charges against him. We know him better than anyone else in the world and we know he is not guilty," Stephen Peterson said.

Drew Peterson wanted his children to stay with his adult son, said Reem Odeh, the law partner of Joel Brodsky, Peterson's attorney, who has worked on Peterson's behalf.

After Peterson's arrest, the state's Department of Children and Family Services turned his children over to "relatives" they would not identify. The child welfare agency also investigated Stephen Peterson's home, Odeh said.

Chicago attorney Matthew Kirsh said the current custody arrangement may be hard to challenge.

"A parent whose rights have not been terminated has the right to designate a guardian in writing," Kirsh said.

After the Savio family filed the wrongful death lawsuit, Peterson appeared beside his teenage sons on CBS's "Early Show," during which the older boy defended his father and characterized his grandfather and aunt as virtual strangers.

"I don't remember meeting him," 16-year-old Thomas Peterson said of Henry Savio. "If he was walking down the street I wouldn't recognize him. And my aunt, I haven't seen in six years."

Jennifer Smetters, a family law attorney in Chicago who is not involved with the case, said if she represented a relative of either mother, she would advise seeking guardianship of all four children.

"The court needs to place the children in the home that would serve their best interests," Smetters said. "I would advise them to prepare their home to take all of the children. It's very important that these children don't go through any more upheaval."

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »

He has brainwashed them all 

Chicago Sun Times
May 12, 2009 Tuesday

Drew's 6 kids: 'We know he is not guilty'
The six children of Drew Peterson are standing by their father, saying Monday they believe he is innocent of charges he murdered his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

"We know him better than anyone else in the world, and we know he is not guilty," said Drew Peterson's son Stephen, an Oak Brook police officer, in a statement released by his father's publicist. "We miss our dad and are praying for his release every day."

Stephen and his brother, Eric, are the sons of Drew Peterson and his first wife, Carol.

Drew Peterson has been in Will County Jail since Thursday, when he was charged with killing Savio in 2004.

The two teenage children of Savio and Peterson, Kristopher and Tom, appeared on a morning news program with their father last month to say they didn't believe allegations that he was involved in their mother's death. "I highly do not believe that my dad had murdered my mom," Tom Peterson, 16, said on CBS' "Early Show" on April 24. "Because, first off, he wasn't there, he was with us during that period of time."

Tom and Kristopher, as well as Anthony and Lacy, Drew Peterson's young children with his missing fourth wife, Stacy, are now living with Stephen Peterson. Stacy Peterson was 23 when she went missing in October 2007. Police have said they consider her a victim of a "potential homicide" and have named Drew Peterson as the sole suspect in the case. 
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:970555105&start=2

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 05:15:54 PM »

May 11, 12:39 PM EDT

Drew Peterson's adult son says dad's no killer

BOLINGBROOK, Ill. (AP) -- Drew Peterson's adult son says dad's no killer.

Stephen Peterson said Monday that the family is praying for his father's release from jail on last week's murder charge in the 2004 drowning of his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Drew Peterson, a former police sergeant in Bolingbrook, Ill., is in custody on $20 million bail in Will County. He has denied any involvement in either Savio's death or the 2007 disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson.

Stephen Peterson, a son from an earlier marriage, says in a statement that the family is confident of his father's innocence. He says Peterson's two children with Savio and two children with Stacy Peterson are staying with him.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_POLICE_OFFICERS_WIFE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Well.. I'm not surprised that Stephen would say this.  However, we don't see or hear the rest of "the family" coming forward in droves to say the same thing, do we!  A good reason for that.  Much of the rest of "the family" Stephen speaks of, are counting their lucky stars that Drew is safely behind bars.  For the first time in their lives they are able to walk around without having to watch their back, etc.  This info comes to me from a family member, that's how I've known since the early days in this case.  My heart goes out to all three familes, Stacy's - Kathy's - and the Peterson's.  It is NOT as Stephen wishes to portray to all the world, the Peterson's are just as devastated as the other families are, and do NOT have Drew's back like Stephen and Drew's mother does.    

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »

He has brainwashed them all 

Chicago Sun Times
May 12, 2009 Tuesday

Drew's 6 kids: 'We know he is not guilty'
The six children of Drew Peterson are standing by their father, saying Monday they believe he is innocent of charges he murdered his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

"We know him better than anyone else in the world, and we know he is not guilty," said Drew Peterson's son Stephen, an Oak Brook police officer, in a statement released by his father's publicist. "We miss our dad and are praying for his release every day."

Stephen and his brother, Eric, are the sons of Drew Peterson and his first wife, Carol.

Drew Peterson has been in Will County Jail since Thursday, when he was charged with killing Savio in 2004.

The two teenage children of Savio and Peterson, Kristopher and Tom, appeared on a morning news program with their father last month to say they didn't believe allegations that he was involved in their mother's death. "I highly do not believe that my dad had murdered my mom," Tom Peterson, 16, said on CBS' "Early Show" on April 24. "Because, first off, he wasn't there, he was with us during that period of time."

Tom and Kristopher, as well as Anthony and Lacy, Drew Peterson's young children with his missing fourth wife, Stacy, are now living with Stephen Peterson. Stacy Peterson was 23 when she went missing in October 2007. Police have said they consider her a victim of a "potential homicide" and have named Drew Peterson as the sole suspect in the case. 
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:970555105&start=2

Yes he has, Nut!  So sad. 

Stephen doesn't mention that his brother Eric has estranged himself from his father after Kathy's death, from the whole family except one person.  Eric must be rather lonely, yet needed to make that choice for himself in order to survive feeling the way he does.  IMO, Stephen need NOT be the spokesman for "the family", cuz they are NOT feeling the same way he is!  Just burns my britches!  grrrrr

Not to mention the four younger kids have to act like they are just fine with Drew, they have had to live in the same house with him all these years.  Whatever the teens said to the grand jury, to the media, they knew that they had to go home and face Drew.  Now they get to live with Stephen, yippee.   

Many of us do remember what Tom said when Stacy went missing, that she had always been 'vocal' in the arguments between she and his dad Drew.  And that morning, in the room next door to their bedroom, Tom heard them arguing, then he heard nothing.  And never saw Stacy again either.  That has got to weigh heavy on his mind when he thinks of his dad possibly killing Kathy.  Tom was very young at that time, and likely was in his bed sound asleep when Drew supposedly was gone in the middle of the night.  How is he to know anything about that night!  My heart goes out to all the children, even to Stephen, who I'm thinking may have been thrust into this position long ago by Drew, perhaps not even believing himself what he is saying.   

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 07:57:46 AM »

Drew Peterson explains his joking behavior Rolling Eyes
May 15, 2009 6:08 AM | No Comments
Drew Peterson is explaining today that he cracked jokes after he was arrested for the murder of his third wife because that's just the way he is. Rolling Eyes

Peterson's comments to be aired on NBC's "Today" show this morning were made in a jailhouse phone interview taped Thursday.

"There's no book written on how I'm supposed to act," he told host Matt Lauer. "Would it be better if I hid my head down and tried to hide my face and hunched over and had tears in my eyes? I mean, no, that's just not me."

After his arrest, Peterson had described his orange jailhouse as "spiffy" and referred to his handcuffs as "bling."

Peterson is being held in jail in lieu of $20,000,000 bail. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday, and his attorney has said that at that time he will move to have that bail reduced to somewhere between $100,000 and $500,000, an amount that would allow his client to go free.

In the NBC interview, Peterson also said he didn't take part in the search for his fourth wife, the missing Stacy Peterson, because he didn't like the way it was being handled.

Peterson has been charged with the murder of Kathleen Savio. He is a suspect in Stacy's disappearance.

The Tribune revealed this morning that six days before Savio's body was found in an empty bathtub in her Bolingbrook home, Drew Peterson's lawyer told his client that he was to be deposed in the couple's divorce battle.

Peterson, indicted last week, stood to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in the divorce from the sale of the couple's home and his Montgomery bar. Savio also was going after half of Peterson's police pension.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/peterson-explains-his-joking-behavior.html

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30759276/?GT1=43001

Drew Peterson: I’ll ‘probably be found innocent’
In jailhouse interview, accused killer criticizes grand jury that indicted him

By Mike Celizic
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
In a phone interview from the Will County Jail in Joliet, Ill., recorded Thursday and broadcast Friday, Drew Peterson told TODAY’s Matt Lauer that he’ll “probably be found innocent” of the 2004 murder of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. The 55-year-old former Bolingbrook, Ill., police sergeant was also harshly critical of the grand jury system that indicted him.

Police have been investigating both Savio’s death and Stacey Peterson’s disappearance for some 18 months. Lauer asked Peterson if he had any thoughts on why he the indictment was handed down when it was.

“I believe that was the last day of the grand jury and I believe they had to do something. The state's attorney, I believe, was under a lot of pressure from both the media and the Savio family to do something,” he replied.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement | your ad here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flip with quips
“Do you have idea what the state's evidence is against you?” Lauer asked.

“No idea. And the grand jury system seriously needs to be revised,” he replied. “I truly believe that if they wanted to they could have indicted you for this incident. What you have is a bunch of lay people that are in there and they have been sitting there for 18 months, and they are uneducated on the points of law, rules of evidence and things like that.”

Lauer asked Peterson if he has any evidence to prove his innocence.

“There’s all kinds of evidence available. We’ll get discovery and we’ll basically piece-by-piece take apart their case,” Peterson replied, adding that he could not elaborate on what that evidence is.

Peterson was arrested after a traffic stop on May 7 after being indicted at the end of the local grand jury’s 18-month term. He is being held on $20 million bail, a sum that his attorney, Joel Brodsky, has called exorbitant and is trying to get reduced.

John Smierciak / Getty Images Contributor
Former police officer Drew Peterson was arrested for the murder of his third wife, Kathleen Savio, near his home in Bolingbrook, Ill.

Peterson told Lauer he expected that he would be arrested when he was.

“I wasn't really that surprised. The news crews were outside which indicated to me that they were getting ready for something,” he said. “So I was trying to get to the bank to make a deposit so my family would have some money in the bank account. And all of a sudden I was swooped down on.”

After his arrest, Peterson quipped to reporters, “I guess I should have returned those library books.” Later, while being transferred in handcuffs and his orange jail clothes, he asked reporters what he thought of his “bling” and his “spiffy” clothes.

Video

Drew Peterson behind bars
May 8: Drew Peterson is being held in the drowning death of his third wife. Peterson’s attorney discusses the charges.
Today show

In an appearance on TODAY after Peterson’s arrest, Brodsky had explained Peterson’s flippant remarks as his wisecracking way of dealing with stress. Lauer asked Peterson, “Do you understand how it can tend to make you a very unsympathetic character in the eyes of the public?”

“Well, there is no book written on how I'm supposed to act,” Peterson replied. “Would it be better if I hid my head down and tried to hide my face and hunched over and tears in my eyes? I mean, no, that's just not me.”

True or false?
Savio was found dead in her dry bathtub shortly after she and Peterson divorced. She had a cut on the back of her head, and the death was ruled an accidental drowning after she slipped and hit her head on the tub.

But after Stacey Peterson disappeared, authorities exhumed her body and conducted another autopsy, which concluded that she had been murdered. Peterson took a polygraph examination for a book, “"Drew Peterson Exposed,” by Derek Armstrong, which confirmed his contention that he had nothing to do with Savio’s death. Some of his answers relating to Stacey Peterson were deemed to be untruthful, but on the key questions of whether he harmed either wife, his denials withstood the lie detector. The reliability of polygraph tests is debated and their results are not admissible as evidence in criminal trials.

Lauer asked Peterson about the mixed results of the test.

Speaking hesitantly, Peterson said, “All of the questions about Kathleen I passed with no question.” As for the questions about Stacey Peterson, he said, “Did I remove her from the house, or did I hurt her in any way? I passed those in my answer that I did not.”

Savio had told others that she feared Peterson would kill her. Normally, those people would not be allowed to testify to that hearsay evidence in court, but the Illinois legislature recently passed a law that would allow the evidence to be admitted at the trial. Constitutional scholars have questioned whether the law will stand up to review, and Peterson told Lauer that he has information that the legislature may be having misgivings about the law.

Lauer asked, “Have you given consideration, Drew, to the possibility that you may never be free again; that you may be held until trial and found guilty at trial?”

“Right,” he replied, adding, “I'm also thinking I'm going to be released on bond and I’m probably [going to] be found innocent.

<snip>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will this guy ever get it?  I hope this piece of chit rots in He77!  JMO

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »

May 15, 2:14 PM EDT

Ex-cop accused in 3rd wife's death defends remarks

JOLIET, Ill. (AP) -- Former suburban Chicago police sergeant Drew Peterson defended his apparently cavalier attitude about his arrest on charges of killing his third wife, saying that acting in a way people might consider more appropriate is "not me."

"There's no book written on how I'm supposed to act," Peterson told NBC's Matt Lauer during an interview aired on Friday's "Today" show.

Peterson called his handcuffs "bling" and his red jail jumpsuit "spiffy" as he was led into court last week. Lauer asked Peterson if he worries such remarks will make him seem unsympathetic.

"Would it be better if I hid my head down and tried to hide my face and hunched and had tears in my eyes? I mean, no, that's just not me," he said by phone from the jail in Will County, where he's been held since his May 7 arrest in the slaying of Kathleen Savio.
<snipped>
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_POLICE_OFFICERS_WIFE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »

Chicago Tribune 
May 15, 2009 Friday

2 former acquaintances, stepbrother at grand jury

Three potentially key witnesses in the cases against Drew Peterson appeared Thursday before the same special grand jury that returned a murder indictment last week against the former Bolingbrook police sergeant in the death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. The grand jury is still investigating the disappearance of Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy.

Thomas Morphey, Lenny Wawczak and Paula Stark all entered the Will County Court Annex Building, where the grand jury has been meeting for 18 months. They declined to comment.

But their appearance could signal the end of the investigation into Stacy's disappearance. They were expected to be the last witnesses called to testify, sources said. The grand jury's term expires May 21. If the jury does not return an indictment, State's Atty. James Glasgow could continue the investigation with another panel.

Morphey, Peterson's stepbrother, has alleged he helped Peterson move Stacy's body in a blue container from their Bolingbrook home Oct. 28, 2007, the day she disappeared. He described the container as heavy and warm to the touch.

Wawczak and Stark, former acquaintances of Peterson's, have claimed they secretly recorded Peterson last year for the state police. Peterson has denied wrongdoing.

Peterson's neighbor and friend, Steve Carcerano, also appeared before the grand jury. He was one of the neighbors who discovered Savio's body and has defended Peterson. It is at least the second time he has been called to testify.

Glasgow's office declined to comment. 

NEWS FOCUS: The Drew Peterson case / POSSIBLE KEY WITNESSES
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:972627728&start=18

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »

Jailhouse Interview with Drew Peterson … Me, Me, Me … The Narcissist says “I’ll probably be found innocent”

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2009/05/16/jailhouse-interview-with-drew-peterson-me-me-me-the-narcissist-says-ill-probably-be-found-innocent%e2%80%9d/

The rantings and stylings of a narcissist ... I am innocent and everyone else just doesn't know any better because they are not me, Drew Peterson.

Even while in jail, indicted wife murderer Drew Peterson could not stay away from being in the media spotlight as he conducted a jailhouse interview with NBC’s, The Today Show with Matt Lauer. Drew Peterson was arrested and charged with the 2004 murder of his third wife, Kathleen Savio, while he is also still the prime suspect in his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson’s, disappearance. So what did Drew Peterson have to say in his interview? That he of course is innocent and great while everybody else is evil.

Haven't we seen this type of personality before ... OJ Simpson
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »

Ex-cop's mouth could compound his legal troubles 
May 17 2009

DON BABWIN
Associated Press Writer
CHICAGO (AP) Drew Peterson might not take the stand if he goes to trial on charges alleging he killed his third wife, but his words could still play a big role as prosecutors try to put him away.

The former police officer, facing arraignment Monday on first-degree murder charges in the 2004 drowning death of ex-wife Kathleen Savio, has never shied from the media that has followed his every move since his fourth wife, Stacy, vanished in 2007 and he became a suspect in Savio's death.

In fact, he's seemed to relish the spotlight, often giving reporters a joke or smart-aleck remark — like smiling and calling his handcuffs "bling" when he was led to his first court appearance earlier this month.

And that, attorneys say, could be one of Peterson's biggest problems.

"If one wife goes missing and (another) wife is dead, those aren't usually the subject of jokes," said Roy Black, a defense attorney whose clients have included Rush Limbaugh and William Kennedy Smith. "People are going to think this is a very bizarre person, who's more likely to have committed murder than someone who is in mourning."

Peterson is accused of drowning Savio, who was found dead in a dry bathtub in 2004 with a gash on the back of her head. Her death was initially ruled an accident, but after Stacy Peterson went missing Savio's body was exhumed and authorities ruled her death a homicide staged to look like an accident.

Marilyn Brenneman, a senior deputy prosecutor in Seattle's King County, once won a murder conviction after showing jurors a video of a news conference given by a man charged in a drowning death.

"We used it to show his attitude was blase," she said. "He was kind of wooden and didn't show any emotion. ... That is not really an appropriate response."

Defense attorney Mark Geragos has seen what a defendant's own words can do to a case. One of his most famous clients, Scott Peterson, was convicted of murdering his pregnant wife, Laci, after a trial in which jurors watched three television interviews he gave before he retained Geragos.

The interviews included Peterson saying he told police about his affair with another woman the first night his wife was reported missing and saying he told his mistress the truth about being married within several days of the disappearance. Neither was true. And by the time those clips played in court, jurors knew from other testimony that they were watching Scott Peterson lie.

"Some of the most compelling evidence the jury can see is prejudicial but unfortunately it's compelling," Geragos said.

In San Diego in 2007, Cynthia Sommer was convicted of first-degree murder in the slaying of her husband after prosecutors based much of their case on the idea that she did not behave like a grieving widow.

The jury heard about how Sommer used insurance money to pay for breast implants, took part in wet T-shirt contests and had casual sex with other men.

"This case was all about a grieving unbecoming of a widow," said Sommer's attorney, Allen Bloom. "That's all it was, it was a lifestyle, it was painting her with a scarlet letter."

However, a year later a judge dismissed the charges that Sommer poisoned her husband with arsenic because new tests revealed there was no arsenic in his system.

Even if the videos of Drew Peterson's public comments don't make it into trial, they can still have an effect.

"Whether it's admissible or not is one thing ..." said Joe Tacopina, a prominent New York defense attorney. "But it's certainly admissible in the court of public opinion, which is your jury pool."

Peterson's attorney said joking around is how his client deals with stress.

"In a tight, uncomfortable situation, you're gonna get humor and wise cracks," said attorney Joel Brodsky, who is expected to ask a judge Monday to reduce Peterson's bail, which is set at $20 million.

Peterson said he wouldn't behave any other way.

"Would it be better if I hid my head down and tried to hide my face and hunched and had tears in my eyes?" he asked NBC's Matt Lauer during a telephone interview aired on "Today" on Friday. "I mean, no, that's just not me."

Almost since the day Stacy Peterson vanished in October 2007, Peterson has done things like joke about his fourth wife's menstrual cycles and agree to take part in a radio "Win a Date With Drew" contest. A radio station rejected the contest idea.

Brodsky said he is confident that if Peterson stands trial the jury will do the right thing.

"My experience is that juries usually work very hard to put away biases and look at the facts," he said.

But Bloom said even though most jurors want to do the right thing, they can still end up being swayed by things that have nothing to do with evidence.

"They say they won't, but they can be impacted by innuendo, suspicion, speculation and moral judgment," he said.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8512093

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2009, 09:57:22 AM »

http://www.wbbm780.com/Arraignment-Monday-for-Drew-Peterson/4416503

Posted: Monday, 18 May 2009 6:24AM

Arraignment Monday for Drew Peterson

Steve Miller Reporting
WBBM Newsradio 780

CHICAGO (WBBM/AP) -- Drew Peterson is due in court this morning in Will County to be arraigned in the murder of his third wife Kathleen Savio.

Peterson attorney Joel Brodsky says he's expecting a very long day today.

Perhaps not a long session in court - but a long day for Brodsky, who'll be in court with two other lawyers for Peterson, and then will answer reporters' questions.

Court call: 9 a.m. for arraignment.

"Presentation of the charges and entry of a plea, which obviously will be a plea of not guilty.  We're going to present our motion for reduction of bond, but I don't think the judge will rule on it immediately.

"Judge Schoenstedt is a deliberative judge and I'm sure he'll want to hear argument and consider his decision for a few days."

Brodsky says he'll ask the judge to lower Peterson's bail from $20 million - to somewhere between $100,000 and $500,000, and Peterson would have to come up with 10 percent of that.

Brodsky says he thinks Peterson "did OK" on his "Today Show" TV interview with Matt Lauer.  Brodsky says Peterson got his point across that he is taking the charges seriously and that wisecracking is his way of dealing with stress.

"Drew has a personality that rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but that's no reason to convict somebody - because their personality rubs you the wrong way.  If that was true, let's just lock up all the unpopular people.  And let all the popular people out."

Brodsky says he thinks the judge will not make an immediate decision whether to lower Peterson's bail.

Peterson has been jailed since May 7.

Savio's death was originally ruled an accident. But after Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy, disappeared in 2007, Savio's body was exhumed. Authorities reclassified the death as a homicide after an autopsy.

Peterson, 55, has denied any involvement in Savio's death or Stacy Peterson's disappearance.

But his numerous media appearances, where he has gained a reputation for making smart-aleck remarks, could play a big role as prosecutors try to lock him up.

Peterson, of suburban Bolingbrook, has never shied from the media, seeming to relish the spotlight and often offering reporters a joke. As he was led to his first court appearance this month, he referred to his prison-issued jumpsuit as a "spiffy outfit."

And that, attorneys say, could be one of Peterson's biggest problems.

"If one wife goes missing and (another) wife is dead, those aren't usually the subject of jokes," said Roy Black, a defense attorney whose clients have included Rush Limbaugh and William Kennedy Smith. "People are going to think this is a very bizarre person, who's more likely to have committed murder than someone who is in mourning."

Peterson is accused of drowning Savio, who was found dead in a dry bathtub in 2004 with a gash on the back of her head. Her death originally was ruled an accident, but after Stacy Peterson went missing, Savio's body was exhumed and authorities ruled it a homicide staged to look like an accident.

Even if the videos of Drew Peterson's arrival in court or of his interviews don't make it into trial, they can still have an effect.

"Whether it's admissible or not is one thing ..." said Joe Tacopina, a prominent defense attorney in New York. "But it's certainly admissible in the court of public opinion, which is your jury pool."

Peterson's attorney said joking around is how Peterson deals with stress.

"In a tight, uncomfortable situation, you're gonna get humor and wisecracks," said Brodsky.

Peterson said he wouldn't behave any other way.

"Would it be better if I hid my head down and tried to hide my face and hunched and had tears in my eyes?" he asked NBC's Matt Lauer during a telephone interview aired on the "Today" show Friday. "I mean, no, that's just not me."
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »

Drew Peterson: Not Guilty, Prosecutors Want New Judge

Monday, May 18, 2009 @10:13am CST

(Joliet, IL) -- Drew Peterson has officially claimed his innocence in the death of his third wife.

The infamous suburban Chicago police officer entered his official not-guilty plea at his morning arraignment.

Peterson is charged with murder for the 2004 death of Kathleen Savio.

His attorney is also pushing for a lower bail.

Peterson is being held on a 20-million-dollar bond, his lawyer wants that cut to a few hundred-thousand dollars.

He says if Peterson was going to flee he would "have done so long ago." The biggest shock from this first court appearance is that prosecutors are asking that a new judge be assigned to the case.

The "Chicago Tribune" says the Will County State's Attorney's office made that request, but has not yet given a reason why.

Peterson faces at least 20 years in prison on the murder charges.

He's also been a suspect in the disappearance of his fourth wife Stacy, who went missing in October of 2007.

http://mystateline.com/content/fulltext/?cid=67811

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 02:13:59 PM »

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »

Chicago Sun Times 
May 20, 2009 Wednesday

Drew's stepbrother finishes testimony

The Will County grand jury investigating the fate of Drew Peterson's last two wives wrapped up Tuesday with the testimony of potential star witness Thomas Morphey, a source said.

The grand jury indicted Peterson earlier this month in the slaying of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. It was also hearing evidence in the 2007 disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson.

Morphey, the last witness to testify, received immunity from the state's attorney's office. He claims he helped Peterson carry a large blue barrel from Stacy and Peterson's bedroom to the driveway, and loaded it into Peterson's SUV.

Morphey has said he's certain Stacy's body was inside the barrel. Peterson denies having any role in his fourth wife's disappearance. 
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:975342028&start=2

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/prosecutors-to-get-new-judge-in-peterson-case.html

Prosecutors get new judge in Peterson case
May 21, 2009 2:26 PM | No Comments | UPDATED STORY
Will County Chief Judge Gerald Kinney today allowed prosecutors to replace a judge in the Drew Peterson murder case, saying the defense had not established a pattern of abuse by the state of its right to replace judges.

"I do not find that this has been established by the defense's response," Kinney said during a hearing held at the Will County courthouse.

Prosecutors had filed a motion to replace Judge Richard Schoenstedt, arguing he was prejudiced against the state.

Kinney assigned the case to Judge Carla Alessio Policandriotes -- at which point Peterson's attorney, Joel Brodsky, said he wanted to replace that judge. But after a brief recess, Brodsky withdrew his request.

A hearing with the new judge is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Friday.

Peterson is in jail for the 2004 death of his previous wife, Kathleen Savio. The former Bolingbrook police sergeant has pleaded not guilty.
TxLady2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »

I'm sorry, but Drew's attorney is full of it. This attitude and wisecracking has been going on since Stacy first disappeared. Drew thought he was getting away with it, and he still thinks it.  I hope they charge him with Stacy's murder, and convict him for Kathleen's murder. I hope he rots in Hell for eternity. What a jerk!
I'm praying that these remains they found are Stacy's, and that her family and Kathleen's family will unite to bring this POS down!! And that this fiance of his will get the heck out of there fast!

Be who you are and say what you think; because those that matter won't mind.. and those that mind, don't matter.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »

Daily Commentary - Friday, May 22nd, 2009 - Body Found by Des Plaines River … Is it Stacy Peterson or Lisa Stebic?

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2009/05/22/daily-commentary-friday-may-22nd-2009-body-found-by-des-plaines-river-is-it-stacy-peterson-or-lisa-stebic/

What are the chances that the remains located near both the homes of Stacy Peterson and Lisa Stebic does not belong to one of the two missing women?

If the remains are that of Stacy Peterson, think of the irony of the fact that all this time has gone by and in less that a couple of weeks Drew Peterson would have been arrested and potentially indicted for the murder of his third wife Kathleen Savio and his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson, be found?
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »

Thanks Red.
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2009, 03:02:11 PM »

A CALL TO MONKEY ACTION - AMBER DUBOIS

Please help raise awareness for this missing teen who’s story has never been told as others have.  Please help give Amber the chance to come home.  I have made it so easy for you to shoot an email over to Greta and Nancy.  Also, links to post and send comments.  Please take a moment to do this for her family who are active Monkeys.
TIA

SEND A COMMENT:

Nancy Grace:
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?81

America’s Most Wanted:
http://www.amw.com/contact%5Fus/

Greta:
http://gretawire.foxnews.com/2009/05/22/open-thread-and-a-question/#comments

SEND AN EMAIL: (Simply copy and paste into your “To” section of email)

TO:

nancy.grace@turner.com; viewerservices@foxnews.com

-----------

I am a faithfull long time viewer of your show.  I would like to call to your attention the case of Amber DuBois is a beautiful 13 y/o girl who went missing in Escondido, CA.
I want to hear more about this case.  I want to see her featured as a missing person.  This childs disappearance could happen to any family and it is scary!  Please research and air her story.

Regards,

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.