March 28, 2024, 07:59:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drew Peterson arrested/indicted for murder 3rd wife Kathleen Savio #1(GUILTY)  (Read 311229 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »

Chicago Tribune

October 3, 2009 Saturday

Use of hearsay law OK'd in Peterson case

Statements that Drew Peterson's slain third wife and missing fourth wife allegedly made to family, friends, prosecutors and a pastor could be admitted into evidence in the former Bolingbrook police sergeant's first-degree murder trial after a judge Friday upheld the constitutionality of a new state hearsay law.

Judge Stephen White also denied a motion by defense attorneys to move the trial outside the county, saying he found no reason why Peterson couldn't receive a "fair and impartial trial" in Joliet. White had taken the unusual step of calling in the pool of some 240 potential jurors and ordering them to not view media reports on the highly publicized case.

Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow called the judge's decision to uphold the hearsay statute a vindication of the "much-maligned" law Glasgow himself had pushed for.

Before hearsay comments can be admitted, a sort of "mini-trial" would be held before White, who will rule on whether the preponderance of evidence shows that Peterson killed ex-wife Kathleen Savio in 2004 and whether the hearsay statements are "reliable," prosecutors and defense attorneys said. Prosecutors want to admit statements from fourth wife Stacy Peterson, in whose disappearance Peterson is the sole suspect, defense attorney Andrew Abood said in court.

"I can't say it's not disappointing -- it is," said Joel Brodsky, one of Peterson's attorneys, who in court had argued that allowing hearsay evidence into the murder trial would be a devastating breach of 2,000 years of jurisprudence. "You can't rebut (hearsay statements), you can't refute it. You can't cross-examine for motive or bias."
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1049894179&start=4

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »

Chicago Tribune

October 3, 2009 Saturday

Use of hearsay law OK'd in Peterson case

Statements that Drew Peterson's slain third wife and missing fourth wife allegedly made to family, friends, prosecutors and a pastor could be admitted into evidence in the former Bolingbrook police sergeant's first-degree murder trial after a judge Friday upheld the constitutionality of a new state hearsay law.

Judge Stephen White also denied a motion by defense attorneys to move the trial outside the county, saying he found no reason why Peterson couldn't receive a "fair and impartial trial" in Joliet. White had taken the unusual step of calling in the pool of some 240 potential jurors and ordering them to not view media reports on the highly publicized case.

Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow called the judge's decision to uphold the hearsay statute a vindication of the "much-maligned" law Glasgow himself had pushed for.

Before hearsay comments can be admitted, a sort of "mini-trial" would be held before White, who will rule on whether the preponderance of evidence shows that Peterson killed ex-wife Kathleen Savio in 2004 and whether the hearsay statements are "reliable," prosecutors and defense attorneys said. Prosecutors want to admit statements from fourth wife Stacy Peterson, in whose disappearance Peterson is the sole suspect, defense attorney Andrew Abood said in court.

"I can't say it's not disappointing -- it is," said Joel Brodsky, one of Peterson's attorneys, who in court had argued that allowing hearsay evidence into the murder trial would be a devastating breach of 2,000 years of jurisprudence. "You can't rebut (hearsay statements), you can't refute it. You can't cross-examine for motive or bias."
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1049894179&start=4

TY NUT..THIS IS FABULOUS NEWS...DREW IS GOING DOWN..NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2009, 01:31:59 PM »

O/T

Urgent Request for help for Natalee Holloway

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5922.msg971214#msg971214

Thank you for your time, Monkeys
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »

Drew's former Step daughter by his second wife I think...was on one of the morning shows this morning...she is now writing a book about him and his verbal abuse to her when she was a child and to her mother...This girl lived with Drew from the age of 8 until I think 18 she said...
guess everyone wants to get on the band wagon...   I had never seen or heard anything about this woman until today..did any of the rest of you monkeys?

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2009, 09:01:10 AM »

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/peterson.family.nephew.2.1296034.html
 Nov 6, 2009 8:20 am US/Central
Is Drew Peterson's Nephew Being Persecuted?
Charlie Doman Says Possible Prison Sentence For Criminal Charges Is 'Political'

nephew of Drew Peterson's slain third wife says prosecutors will call him to the witness stand during the disgraced former cop's trial, and he believes the testimony is going to cost him a year of his life, according to the Herald News.

"This is definitely political," Charlie Doman said of prosecutors supposedly planning to lock him up for the maximum year sentence if he is convicted of misdemeanor battery and obstructing justice in order to keep his testimony above reproach.
<snipped>

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Tina Bee
Scared Monkey

Hassani Campbell *Still Missing*

« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2009, 03:36:12 AM »

Drew Peterson to get police records for trial

WGN News
November 18, 2009

JOLIET, Ill. - Prosecutors in Drew Peterson's murder case will give Peterson's lawyer some important police notes, to help him prepare for trial. Peterson is charged with killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Monday, Peterson's lawyer demanded the handwritten notes of police field investigators. The Will County State's Attorney's office says, he'll get them today; and it says, not turning them over, was just an oversight.

Until now, defense attorneys have been given only finalized typewritten reports. The defense hopes to find something in the field notes that may exonerate Peterson, or at least give the defense a reason to ask for a mistrial.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-peterson-to-get-police-records-nov18,0,6409094.story
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2009, 01:30:36 AM »

Drew's former Step daughter by his second wife I think...was on one of the morning shows this morning...she is now writing a book about him and his verbal abuse to her when she was a child and to her mother...This girl lived with Drew from the age of 8 until I think 18 she said...
guess everyone wants to get on the band wagon...   I had never seen or heard anything about this woman until today..did any of the rest of you monkeys?

Hi Cookie!  Yeppers, I've heard about her earlier on, she did at least one interview.  I researched this case indepth from day one, in a private forum, before coming here to SM.   The former step-daughter certainly does have much to say re experiences, as do others. 

I do understand what it 'appears' to be when folks start coming out of the woodwork.  In any case other than this one, I'd be thinking the same thing!  However with this particular case, folks need to realize that so many of those who have been involved with Drew felt and still feel a paralyzing fear of major retaliation if they talk.  And for good reason.  There are many who have known/loved/befriended Drew at one point in their lives, who at another point mysteriously went missing, committed "suicide", or ended up dead somehow.   

* Suspicious suicide of Drew's ex-gf's brother (who didn't like Drew)
* Mysterious murder of the new bf of Drew's 2nd ex-wife
* Suspicious murder of Kathleen Savio, Drew's 3rd ex-wife
* Mysterious disappearance of Stacy Peterson, Drew's 4th wife (not found)
* Mysterious disappearance of the mother of Stacy Peterson in 1998 (not found)
* Suspicious suicide-attempt by Drew's step/brother (the one who unknowingly helped him)

There are two others rumored to have disappeared, one is
* Mysterious disappearance of Drew's step/sister-in-law (but she was later found alive and well, had up and left her husband at some point, Drew's step/brother)

And this one... well this one is just odd
* Strange disappearance ? of the new bf of Drew's 3rd ex-wife (this was an unconfirmed rumor last we heard.  He had been in Kathy's life up to her death and was around afterward for questioning etc, then after a time no one seems to know where he went or what happened to him.)

The 8 unsolved mysteries above (incl other things in Stacy's case) can be read about at:
http://www.acandyrose.com/stacy_peterson_mysteries.htm

While researching Stacy's case, I had the opportunity of working with an inside source, who for safety reasons needs to remain anonymous to the public.   This person has risked their life in helping the authorities.  There IS a very good reason why those who know things about Drew have been hesitant to say anything.  They don't want to end up missing or dead one day.  Even with Drew behind bars they may not feel safe! 

Life with Drew was, for the most part, his family walking on eggshells around him.  His mother is blind to the truth about Drew, and perhaps one aunt, that's it.  His 4 youngest kids IMO are brainwashed, they had to still live with Drew after Stacy went missing.  Eric, one of his two oldest sons, hasn't spoken to Drew since Kathy's death.   

Just please do not believe that Drew's own family is behind him 100%.  The good majority of them are just as fearful of him as Stacy and Kathy have told others that they were.  The kind of fear that paralyzes a person.  Especially with Drew having been an LE officer in the midst of 'the good ole boys', who did they have to turn to, in their fear?  Who would have listened?  No one.  Just as no one took Kathy seriously, not until long after her death. 

My heart goes out to his family, every bit as much as it does to the families of Kathy and Stacy.

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »

Drew .... 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »

A new lawyer is joining the defense team. He is also Craig Stebic's atty.

Suburban Chicago attorney joins Peterson's defense

JOLIET, Ill. - Another attorney has joined the criminal defense team for Drew Peterson, who is accused of killing his third wife

George Lenard, of the Chicago suburb of Joliet, has practiced law for more than two decades.

Peterson attorney Joel Brodsky says Lenard has been consulting with the defense team for months and brings experience.

Peterson is being held on a $20 million bond in Will County on charges that he killed his third wife, Kathleen Savio, in 2004.

Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy Peterson, has been missing since October 2007.

Peterson has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-drewpeterson,0,7065419.story

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »

Nut..   Monkey Devil! 

Love the soap on a rope.  Hehe...  Perfect for Drew!   

And thanks for the update! 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2010, 10:45:21 PM »

Latest hearing in Peterson murder trial will be open to the public

Published: January 8, 2010

JOLIET, Ill. — A hearing on evidence that prosecutors claim links former police officer Drew Peterson to the death of his third wife will be open to the public, a judge ruled Friday, dismissing claims by defense attorneys that it could taint potential jurors.

Will County Judge Stephen White said he already warned more than 200 potential jurors to avoid media reports about the case and will send them a letter reminding them of the admonishment.

“We’ve done everything we can to protect the integrity of the proceedings,” White said.

Peterson, a former Bolingbrook police officer, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the 2004 death of Kathleen Savio, whose body was found in a dry bathtub.

Savio’s death was originally ruled an accident. But after Peterson was named a suspect in the disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson, in October 2007, Savio’s body was exhumed. Her death was then ruled a homicide.

http://www2.oanow.com/oan/news/local/article/latest_hearing_in_peterson_murder_trial_will_be_open_to_the_public/121232/

Peace
Scared Monkey

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

Sorry to be off topic, but how do I request a thread for this woman? I just found out she is missing and I feel so sad that so little has been done to help find her.
http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/family-searches-for-missing-nh-mother-sarah-rogers

I've started a thread for Sarah Rogers in our Missing Persons Forum.  Here is the link to her thread:

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=6895.new#new

Peace, anyone can start a thread.  However, mods are happy to help out with that.  I hope Sarah Rogers is found to be safe.  Muffy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:24:52 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
Mohandas Gandhi
AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »

With all the court action in the last couple weeks and the court date on the 19th, maybe we want to brush up on the case?

The pictures (over 800) and a bunch of vids are saved here:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Stacy%20Peterson%20-%20Kathleen%20Savio/

The album is loosely organized, and the pics are labeled, so it is a bit easier.

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »

Drew Peterson pre-trial hearing will examine hearsay evidence
Published: 1/17/2010

In the months before Kathleen Savio's mysterious drowning death, relatives say, the Bolingbrook woman grew "terrified" that her estranged husband would harm her.

Her fears also were captured in writing, such as in a 2002 letter to a prosecutor in which Savio said Drew Peterson "knows how to manipulate the system, and his next step is to take my children away. Or kill me instead."

Such hearsay evidence, which, in effect, allows Savio's words to be heard from beyond the grave are the subject of a landmark court hearing opening Tuesday in Will County.

Peterson, 56, is charged with murdering his third wife, whose body was found in a dry bathtub on March 1, 2004, in the midst of their bitter divorce.

Authorities initially ruled the 40-year-old woman's death accidental but, after Peterson was named a suspect in the disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy, last seen in October 2007, Savio's body was exhumed. Her death was ruled a homicide after a second autopsy.

Peterson, a former Bolingbrook police sergeant, has not been charged in Stacy's disappearance, but he was arrested May 7, 2009, in the Savio investigation.

His trial won't begin until later this year, but media members from across the country are expected to converge on the Joliet courthouse for a hearing that may take three weeks with up to 60 witnesses.

Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow will lay out much of the prosecution's case against Peterson during the hearing, which is required under a recent state law written in part to respond to the ex-cop's high-profile case.

The law requires a judge to hold a pretrial hearing to determine whether so-called hearsay evidence - testimony or documents that quote someone secondhand who is not in court - is admissible in murder trials.

Prosecutors must prove whether a "preponderance of evidence" shows those statements are reliable and that the defendant's wrongdoing made the witness unavailable to testify. If not, the evidence cannot be presented to a jury at trial.

Glasgow has not publicly released the lengthy witness list, but he showed much of his hand during a May court hearing when the defense unsuccessfully challenged the law's constitutionality.

Prosecutors said Peterson killed Savio because he faced financial devastation from their divorce as he tried to begin a new life with his fourth wife, Stacy, 23, - with whom he had an extramarital affair while he still was married to Savio. Peterson even offered a man $25,000 to kill Savio months before her death, prosecutors said.

"My life would be easier if she were just dead," Glasgow quoted Peterson as telling a fellow police officer he saw at the courthouse before Savio's death.

Both state witnesses likely will testify at the hearsay hearing, along with relatives who have said Savio feared Peterson. She repeated those fears in court records.

"She told me that she would never live for the settlement," sister Anna Doman said, "that Drew was going to kill her and that if anything did happen, to please take care of the children. She said, 'You know, Drew's lethal.' She was terrified of him."

Peterson would have had to pay as much as $200,000 in a lump sum to Savio and likely would have lost the couple's Bolingbrook home, Glasgow said. He said her death led Peterson to receive about $25,000 annually in Social Security payments for their two young sons, who as beneficiaries of their mother's life-insurance policy stand to receive $500,000 each.

In addition, evidence in the Stacy Peterson investigation is expected to be presented in the hearing. The Rev. Neil Schori told police Stacy Peterson confided in him before she vanished that her husband admitted killing Savio. He, too, may take the witness stand.

The defense team, led by attorney Joel Brodsky, unsuccessfully fought to have the hearsay hearing in a closed courtroom to control media coverage that it argues will taint the jury pool with "rumor, innuendo and gossip" and "erodes the presumption of innocence" by asking a judge to decide before the trial even starts that Peterson murdered Savio to silence her.

Drew Peterson will not testify.

"You're going to see a lot of the state's case, which we'll attack, but not ours to a great extent," Brodsky said. "We don't want to show them our hand. This is not a mini-trial. This is really the state exposing their case and letting us cross-examine their witnesses."

Will County Circuit Judge Stephen White ruled this month that public access to court proceedings is paramount. The judge took earlier steps to protect the jury pool. In August, White warned some 240 potential panelists to avoid Peterson media coverage. He said a follow-up letter also would be sent before the hearing starts to remind them of his edict.

This is the second time a hearsay reliability hearing is being held under the law. In DuPage County, prosecutors successfully invoked the law in the Oct. 9, 2004, fatal shooting of a 17-year-old Warrenville girl who was killed shortly after accusing an acquaintance of battery. The man, Joshua Matthews, 24, goes on trial later this year in Wheaton.

Peterson is being held on a $20 million bond in the Will County jail. He maintains his innocence.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=351508

Timeline in Drew Peterson investigation

March 1, 2004: The body of Drew Peterson's third wife, Kathleen Savio, 40, is discovered in a bathtub in her Bolingbrook home. Her death is initially ruled an accidental drowning.

Oct. 29, 2007: His fourth wife, Stacy, 23, is reported missing, a day after she fails to show up at a family member's home.

Nov. 9, 2007: Illinois State Police declare Drew Peterson a suspect in Stacy's disappearance and announce they've launched an investigation into Savio's drowning death. A Will County judge signs an order to exhume Savio's body.

Nov. 12, 2007: Drew Peterson resigns from the Bolingbrook Police Department, where he had been an officer for nearly three decades.

Nov. 13, 2007: Savio's body is exhumed for a second autopsy.

Nov. 16, 2007: Forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden says Savio likely was murdered.

Nov. 21, 2007: A special Will County grand jury is convened to hear evidence in both cases involving Savio and Stacy Peterson.

Feb. 21, 2008: Kathleen Savio's death officially ruled a homicide.

May 21, 2008: Drew Peterson surrenders to police on a weapons charge unrelated to the disappearance of his fourth wife.

Nov. 20, 2008: Gun charges dropped against Peterson after Will County prosecutors refuse to hand over internal investigative documents.

May 7, 2009: Drew Peterson indicted on two counts of first-degree murder for Savio's death; peacefully surrenders during a traffic stop. Peterson remains jailed on $20 million bond.

Oct. 2, 2009: Will Circuit Judge Stephen White upholds new state law that allows Savio beyond-the-grave hearsay evidence at trial if later deemed reliable.

Jan. 19, 2010: A landmark hearsay court hearing is scheduled to begin in which prosecutors lay out their evidence against Peterson in Savio's death.

Source: Daily Herald archives

CarolF
Scared Monkey

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2010, 12:36:55 AM »

Thanks Nut44 I sure hope they broadcast it.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:13 AM »

Testimony ‘from the grave’ in Peterson case
Peterson's 3rd wife drowned in bathtub; witnesses will recount her fears
updated 53 minutes ago
JOLIET, Ill. - Six years after she mysteriously drowned in a bathtub, Kathleen Savio is finally getting her day in court.

Savio essentially will testify from the grave Tuesday, with witnesses expected to tell a judge in Illinois how Savio discussed and wrote about her fears that her husband, former Bolingbrook police Sgt. Drew Peterson, would kill her.

The hearing is expected to provide the first detailed look at evidence prosecutors contend ties Peterson to Savio's death. It stems from a state law that allows a judge to admit hearsay evidence — testimony from witnesses who recount what they heard from others — in first-degree murder cases if prosecutors can prove a defendant killed a witness to prevent him or her from testifying.

The Illinois Legislature passed the law after authorities named Peterson a suspect in the 2007 disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy, then exhumed the body of Savio, his third wife, and reopened the investigation into her 2004 death. Though the bill's sponsors were careful never to link the law publicly to Peterson, it has been referred to as "Drew's Law," and his attorneys have long suggested it was passed to put Peterson behind bars.

During the hearing, which is expected to last three weeks, prosecutors will present to Will County Judge Stephen White about 60 witnesses to testify about 15 hearsay statements. White will then decide if the jury can hear any or all of those statements when Peterson stands trial. Peterson has pleaded not guilty to murdering Savio, whose body was found in a dry tub. A trial date hasn't been set.

While neither side has talked much about the evidence in the case, from the day Peterson was arrested, Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow has made it clear that allowing Savio to tell jurors why Peterson wanted her dead is crucial to his case.

"In essence, what you're basically allowing the victim of a violent crime to do is testify from the grave," Glasgow, who pushed for passage of the bill, told reporters in May shortly after Peterson was arrested.

'Afraid for her life'
The list of witnesses remains under seal, but Savio's niece, Melissa Doman, said her mother, Anna Doman, is among those who have been called to testify.

"It would be about things my Aunt Kitty (Savio) told my mom about how she was afraid for her life, she said she was afraid of Drew," Melissa Doman said, adding that she has not been called to testify.

Also expected to testify are other members of Savio's family, including her sister, Susan Savio. It was Susan Savio who told a coroner's jury shortly after her sister's death that Kathleen Savio had told family members that, "if she would die, it may look like an accident, but it wasn't."

The death initially was ruled an accidental drowning — until Stacy Peterson's disappearance led officials to exhume Savio's body, conduct another autopsy and conclude Savio was the victim of a homicide. Drew Peterson has not been charged in Stacy Peterson's disappearance.

Other possible witnesses who could be asked to testify about the stormy relationship between Drew Peterson and Savio are his former colleagues. Eighteen times in two years, police were called to the couple's Bolingbrook home to respond to reports of trouble between the two, with Savio telling officers that her husband had beaten her and threatened to kill her. Peterson was never charged. Savio was charged with domestic battery and later was acquitted.

There also are court documents that prosecutors are expected to present into evidence, including a 2002 order of protection in which Savio alleges that Peterson knocked her down, ripped off her necklace and left marks on her body.

"He wants me dead, and if he has to, he will burn the house down just to shut me up," she wrote.

Clergy may testify
Among the more intriguing possible witnesses are members of the clergy at a Bolingbrook church attended by Stacy Peterson. In the days after her disappearance, there were media reports that she had told a clergyman a couple months earlier that Drew Peterson had confessed to her that he killed Savio and made it look like an accident.

Peterson's attorneys have made it clear that they will attack the credibility of at least some of the witnesses.

"All it is, is rumor, innuendo and gossip," defense attorney Joel Brodsky said after a recent hearing concerning information contained in the 15 statements. "People had ulterior motives for saying what they said or are out-and-out unreliable people."

The defense is not expected to call any witnesses of its own during the hearing.

"People should not think this is going to be the trial," Brodsky said.

He said the hearing will help Peterson.

"We think that even in this questioning, a lot of beliefs that people have about what was said and who said them are going to be burst, dashed," he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34933523/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »

http://www.prnewschannel.com/absolutenm/templates/?z=0&a=2126
Drew Peterson Attorney Not Just a Pretty Face
As a hearing on hearsay testimony gets underway, Reem Odeh prepares for vital role on Peterson's defense team
(PRNewsChannel) / January 19, 2010 / Bolingbrook, Ill. / As a pivotal hearing on hearsay testimony gets underway today, it will again be Drew Peterson's lead defense attorney Joel Brodsky who will get most of the face time. But it's his partner, a model-turned-attorney, who might be the secret weapon to land an acquittal for the former Bolingbrook police sergeant.

Reem Odeh wants the public to know that beyond her stunning good looks is a hard-nosed attorney who is detail-oriented and brings keen analytical skills to Team Peterson.

"You don't need to be front and center to know you're playing a vital role in a huge criminal case," says Odeh. "Drew knows what I'm doing. The legal team knows my contribution. Yet, most of the public following the case probably have no idea who I am."

She hardly ever talks to the media. And, though present, she rarely addresses the court.

Though Odeh has largely taken a behind-the-scenes role, to be fair, she did argue for a change of venue in the case.

Odeh is a single mother of three children who became a "corner office" partner in a Chicago law firm before she turned 30.

Brodsky, who has received the bulk of the press interviews, says he relies on his partner to review the tremendous amount of documents, transcripts, statements and investigative reports and to analyze and develop a legal strategy.

"Reem has developed and implemented an incredibly powerful process that has allowed us to find and organize the evidence which will prove Drew's innocence," says Brodsky. "Her organizational and analytical skills are prodigious."

She gets equal accolades from co-counsel Andrew Abood.

"She is an essential part of the team, and without her we would not be able to expose all the problems with the State's case," said Abood.
During trial, she will conduct the direct examination of one of Peterson's teenage children who will testify in his father's defense.

"The jury needs to hear what his children say about him," says Odeh. "It's very telling and extremely moving and says a lot about him as a man."

Drew Peterson and his legal team are represented by the PR firm The Publicity Agency.  For more information, please visit http://www.thepublicityagency.com.
Source: thepublicityagency.com

This press release was sent by the press release distribution service PRNewsChannel. Follow on Twitter, Friend on Facebook, Connect on Linkedin

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/peterson/1999151,drew-peterson-trial-hearsay-011910.article
Witness: Drew Peterson threatened to kill Savio

January 19, 2010

ASSOCIATED PRESS

A one-time co-worker of Kathleen Savio says Savio told him Drew Peterson threw her to the floor one night and told her he could kill her.

Issam Karam (ih-SAHM' kah-RAHM') testified Tuesday at a hearing in the former Bolingbrook police sergeant's case. Peterson has pleaded not guilty in Savio's murder.
The hearing stems from a state law that allows a judge to admit hearsay evidence in first-degree murder cases if prosecutors can prove a defendant killed a witness to prevent him or her from testifying. After the hearing, a Will County judge will decide if jurors can hear the witness statements when Peterson stands trial.

Karam says Savio said Peterson grabbed her throat and had a knife, and that he told Savio he "could kill her there and then."

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »

Peterson's defense team challenges 'Drew's law'
By Stephanie Chen, CNN
January 19, 2010 -- Updated 2212 GMT

Stacy Peterson had disturbing things to say about her husband, Drew Peterson.

She is still missing, but her statements about former Bolingbrook police Sgt. Drew Peterson, who is accused of murdering his previous wife, may start to come out in court at a crucial pretrial hearing that begins Tuesday.

Her statements, according to court documents, are likely to include her suspicions and fears of Peterson.

At the center of the debate is whether hearsay evidence can be used at Peterson's trial. Hearsay is what one person says to another, outside of a courtroom setting. Because courts prefer to hear from the original source, the person who hears a statement is usually not permitted to tell judges and juries about the statement.

Peterson is accused of murdering his third wife, Kathleen Savio. Her body was found in an empty bathtub in March 2004, and her death initially was ruled an accidental drowning. Her death was reinvestigated after Stacy Peterson's disappearance and then was ruled to be a homicide. Drew Peterson has been charged with first-degree murder. He denies the charges.

Read the indictment

If prosecutors get their way, Stacy Peterson will haunt her husband's murder trial.

In 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court decided in the case Crawford v. Washington that hearsay evidence violates a defendant's Sixth Amendment right to confront the witnesses against him or her.

That case added hurdles for the use of hearsay evidence, according to legal analysts.

But courts have been establishing exceptions to the hearsay laws in cases in which witnesses are silenced. And the list of exceptions has grown over the years, especially if the hearsay can be used to show a witness or victim's state of mind. In those cases, jurors are warned not to automatically consider the statement as truthful.

Illinois passed a law in 2008 -- dubbed "the Drew Peterson law" or "Drew's law" by the media -- that allows hearsay evidence if prosecutors believe the victim was killed to prevent his or her testimony.

The defense maintains in its own motions that the law unfairly targets Drew Peterson because it was passed after the investigation was launched. In a legal response, prosecutor James W. Glasgow called the defense claim "a thinly veiled effort to sway the court into believing that this statute pertains exclusively to this prosecution."

Stacy Peterson was 23 when she vanished in October 2007. According to the prosecution, she had voiced doubts about Savio's demise and told others before she vanished that she feared the same fate.

After Stacy Peterson's disappearance, the state performed a second autopsy on Savio, concluding in November 2007 that her death was a homicide. A third autopsy was performed at the request of the Savio family. The private medical examiner determined the cuts, lacerations and bruises on her body indicated a struggle.

Drew Peterson was charged last year with first-degree murder and held on $20 million bond. He pleaded not guilty. He has not been charged in Stacy Peterson's disappearance.

Stacy Peterson made statements regarding Drew Peterson's whereabouts the night of Savio's death, according to a pastor and other potential witnesses.

Six years after Savio's death, prosecutors also intend to introduce her words through family members who recall their conversations with her, as well as through letters she wrote to police.

The hearings, which could last a month, will determine the merit and relevance of the hearsay statements. As many as 60 witnesses may testify, according to CNN affiliate WLS-TV in Chicago.

James Carey, a law professor at Loyola University law school in Chicago, said prosecutors must prove that Drew Peterson intentionally got rid of Stacy Peterson to keep her from testifying.

Drew Peterson's attorneys are arguing that Illinois' new hearsay law is unconstitutional. The new law was passed only after Peterson's case gained media attention, the defense argues.

"Having newly-minted evidence, but not the evidence to prosecute anyone for it, the Will County State's Attorney decided to draft a new law," wrote Drew Peterson's attorney, Joel A. Brodsky. He was unavailable for comment Monday, an office assistant said.

It is not yet clear what evidence prosecutors are seeking to present. Their motion was filed under seal.

However the court decides on the Peterson evidence, an appeal is likely and the precedents could become legal landmarks.

"This other witness may truthfully be saying what the person said, but how do we know what the person said is true?" said Steven Beckett, director of trial advocacy at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Beckett said hearsay evidence is a serious disadvantage to the defense because they cannot cross-examine the person being quoted.

There are no eyewitnesses or physical evidence to link Drew Peterson to Savio's death, his attorneys argue.

"I think the jury's going to see that, in fact, this always has been an accidental death and still is an accidental death," Brodsky told CNN's Larry King last year.

Savio's family has been hopeful the new law will help prove Drew Peterson's involvement in their daughter's case.

"We hope it's going to come out the right way," her father, Henry Savio, told CNN reporters in 2009, shortly after Drew Peterson was charged.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/19/illinois.drew.peterson.hearsay/

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »

OMG I am so glad I am not near there. I would end up in the Female Jail (lol), ...cause I'd have to kill him 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.