April 23, 2024, 04:36:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Under Restructuring, GM To Build More Cars Overseas  (Read 1545 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 08, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »

The U.S. government is pouring billions into General Motors in hopes of reviving the domestic economy, but when the automaker completes its restructuring plan, many of the company's new jobs will be filled by workers overseas.

According to an outline the company has been sharing privately with Washington legislators, the number of cars that GM sells in the United States and builds in Mexico, China and South Korea will roughly double.

It's an almost impossible dilemma," said former labor secretary Robert B. Reich, now a professor at the University of California-Berkeley. "GM is a global company -- so for that matter is AIG and the biggest Wall Street banks. That means that bailing them out doesn't necessarily redound to the benefit of the U.S. or American workers.

No need to close 'loopholes' that affect GM, the government will just GIVE them the taxpayer money, no need to collect to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/07/AR2009050704336.html?hpid=topnews

No jobs for you America.  We just want your taxpayer funding and money.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:40:31 AM »

From that same article ~

Labor costs in those countries are far lower. While paying a U.S. autoworker with benefits costs about $54 an hour, a South Korean worker earns about $22 an hour, a Mexican worker earns less than $10 an hour and some Chinese workers can earn as little as $3 an hour, industry sources said.

Can that Mexican or Chinese worker buy a $50,000 SUV on their earnings?

I keep thinking I read last year that the Mexican plants earn like $6 a day and have '0' benefits.  No unemployment.  Did they get a raise?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.