March 29, 2024, 09:31:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NY Senator Calls for Phone Scam Investigation~ Final Notice/Warranty Expiration  (Read 1333 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: May 10, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »

Schumer calls for probe into phone spam
By KAREN MATTHEWS Associated Press
May 10, 2009, 6:51PM

NEW YORK — Unsolicited calls to home and cell phones warning of a final notice and an expiring vehicle warranty are a nuisance and harassment and should be the subject of a federal investigation, a U.S. senator said Sunday.

Americans increasingly are receiving calls with a computerized voice saying, “This is the final notice. The factory warranty on your vehicle is about to expire,” or something similar, several times a day on their cell or land lines. The calls come even if a person has signed up for the national “do not call” registry.

Now, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., wants a federal investigation into the “robo-dialer harassment.”

“Not only are these calls a nuisance, but they tie up land lines and can eat up a user’s cell phone minutes, possibly leading to a higher cell phone bill due to overage charges,” Schumer said.

Meanwhile, officials in 40 states are investigating the companies behind the car-warranty calls.

Michelle Corey, president and CEO of the Better Business Bureau in St. Louis, said the industry is based largely in the St. Louis area and generates thousands of complaints a year.
She said a group of companies began operating in Missouri in the mid-1990s offering xtended repair warranties to people whose manufacturer-issued warranties were about to expire. Within a few years, about 35 firms were offering similar services. “It’s a very lucrative industry,” Corey said.

The companies offer contracts akin to insurance policies, pledging to pay for car repairs in exchange for fees paid up front.

The companies call numbers randomly and leave messages telling people that their auto warranties are about to expire — whether they even own a car.

Some companies also send out cards that mislead recipients into thinking that their vehicle has been subject to a safety recall, Corey said.

If people call back and agree to buy a policy, Corey said, the companies often don’t let them see the contract until they agree to pay.

Some scam victims don’t learn until it is too late that the deals don’t cover many types of repairs, Corey said.

“Some people are losing thousands and thousands of dollars in purchasing a product that turns out to be useless,” she said.

The Federal Trade Commission, which already operates the do-not-call list, should work with state and local authorities “to find the scam artists and shut their operations down,” Schumer said.

“This is an annoying scam whose perpetrators have found a way around the do-not-call list,” he said at a news conference in his Manhattan office.

Missouri authorities filed a lawsuit last month against one of the largest car-warranty companies, Wentzville, Mo.-based USfidelis, charging that company officials ignored a subpoena demanding that they answer questions about their business. A spokesman for USfidelis, which has more than 1,000 employees, said Sunday that there was “some confusion about the appearance date.” The spokesman, Ken Fields, said USfidelis “treats every customer fairly and honestly.”

The company stopped making unsolicited marketing calls last year and now relies mostly on television advertising, he said.

Corey of the Better Business Bureau said it is often difficult to know who is making the calls, because companies change names frequently and use telemarketing subcontractors.

Schumer, who received a call last week, said a federal crackdown is needed.

“A few states have tried, but we need national action,” he said.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6417389.html

I've gotten these calls and I don't even have any warranties on my cars.  So annoying.  Hard to stop them from calling again.  They even call our families cells.  Once they call my cell, I save that number and where it says contact name, I put in "don't answer", so if they call again, and often they do, I know not to pick it up.  I've got about 5 contacts with different names/numbers from outfits such as this, that I make sure I don't answer again.  I think its more than just a scam to sell a policy.  I've read elsewhere that companies use the dialers to call up numbers and if someone answers, it shows it's a working number, and they sell your number to someone else that can call it to try to sell you something or to use your number other ways. 
's

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.