March 29, 2024, 01:36:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is the "healthcare industry" in Obama's letter?  (Read 1584 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 11, 2009, 07:45:40 PM »

Who is the "healthcare industry" in Obama's letter?   Is the letter on the internet somewhere?

A few players?

Well there are going to be several trade groups on hand, as we've said -- the American Medical Association, the American Hospital Association, others. And they are going to be giving President Obama a letter pledging to cut administrative costs in the industry, which they say will cut the growth of health care spending by a percent and a half per year. Over 10 years, they say, Steve, that could add up to $2 trillion.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/05/11/am_health_care_q/

Hmmm...the AMA and AHA - groups that bill Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance. 

Where might that saving come from?  How will it be measured?

Will it come from electronic patient records?  Something taxpayers are throwing money at?  Is this a shell game?  Claim savings from taxpayer contributions?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »

The top Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, Chuck Grassley of Iowa, called the announcement a "move in the right direction," but said it would be more significant if the Congressional Budget Office, Washington's arbiter of what costs or saves money for the government, determined it saved money.

"When the White House and the industry put concrete proposals on paper and get a score from the Congressional Budget Office, then we'll know if the suggestions really achieve that kind of savings, and it'll be big news," Grassley said. "For health care budgeting purposes, CBO's word is the only one that counts."

The groups who signed onto Monday's effort were the American Medical Association, America's Health Insurance Plans, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, the Service Employees International Union, the American Hospital Association and the Advanced Medical Technology Association.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090511/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_health_overhaul_savings

Will this savings be a cost shifting?  IIRC, many in the industry have claimed that the cost of uncompensated care in the ER has been shifted to insurance and programs like Medicare and Medicaid. 

Does the savings represent the uncompensated care for folks in the ER? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »

I've heard people offer prescription plans that will save Americans 30-40 on their drug costs.   How?

Drugs from India.   The selling point is that more drugs are manufactured in foreign countries.  They have less overhead in India and can sell and ship drugs cheaper.

Why?  Pharmacies in India can buy drugs much cheaper than American pharmacies.  I believe they can also buy drugs cheaper than pharmacies in Canada.

Why doesn't everyone pay the same fair price?

This seems to be another American benefit of 'free trade'.  We pay more for everything than any one else on the globe.

We send more American jobs overseas.  Are these countries building and selling this stuff to their own people?  Or, just to 'wealthy' Americans on Medicare?  Private insurance?

Why aren't they building their own economies?  Selling these drugs to their own people for healthy profits?

Does any of this 'free trade' benefit Americans?  Is it making America prosperous?  Cheaper goods cost money - American jobs and cause might deficits.

Why is America continuing to borrow money from China to pay for our welfare program?  Why are we sending jobs to China, Korea, and Mexico?

Why aren't we building America?  Making America strong?  Past generations built this nation, and the present leadership seems h_ll bound on destroying it.

jmho

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.