April 28, 2024, 03:54:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Has Obama Really Righted our Economy? Think again.......  (Read 2236 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 11, 2009, 06:10:27 PM »

This article won't please some of our democrat posters but it's the reality I've been hopeful would come to light, once the rose colored glasses of their "man" winning began to come off. I'm not sure the diehard "Obama is king" democrats will understand anything but their own pocketbooks being hit front and center.

Read this, it defines how precarious the small gains to date are, plus Warren Buffet described our own economy as a drowning man that a lifeline was thrown to just last week. His explanation was that we'd stopped him from sinking but that he was a far distance from being back on solid ground.

Of course, after noticing this article earlier today, the stock market took a large dip just once again evidencing how far we have to go to a true recovery? My largest concern is that if that target date truly is next spring, well brace yourselves, for it's that's when the enormous spends for stimulus the democrats have voted in will begin to hit our bottom line.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/ContrarianChronicles/where-youll-see-real-recovery-first.aspx

Where you'll see real recovery first

By Bill Fleckenstein
MSN Money

We have now seen a string of data points that indicate an improvement in the economy, with potentially more such data to come -- which is certainly refreshing news.

But after two quarters of gross domestic production contracting at a rate of 6%, if the economy shrinks only 2%, that will look like strength from a data standpoint. After a couple of quarters like we've just experienced (which are quite rare), just restocking depleted inventories could easily produce a positive GDP number in the short run.

Thus one cannot examine any of these reports in isolation. One has to take a step back and look at the whole mosaic. We don't want to become overly bearish about certain problems. But neither do we want to become overly bullish about a couple of positive bits of news.

Anything but clear
The bursting of the housing bubble and the attendant collapse of the financial system, and the money-printing/government stimuli aimed at mitigating those disasters, are creating enormous crosscurrents that will make divining the market action (as well as the news) particularly tricky.

If one wants to talk about a legitimate "green shoot" (the new favorite buzzword for signs of a recovery), I would point to a recent Wall Street Journal article in which the CEO of Caterpillar (CAT, news, msgs) noted that demand for excavators in China is at a record level.

Again, that is just one nugget. But I continue to believe that the large economy most likely to recover first will be China. That leads to one of my areas of interest: commodity-oriented businesses.

I've been a fan of precious metals for reasons related to currency debasement, but lots of other companies will benefit from what transpires in China as well as from worldwide stimulus.

Small is beautiful
If stagflation is the most probable outcome (my view at this juncture), we are liable to see coming out of this period sort of a replay of the 1970s, but on steroids.

Small companies, which are usually nimbler than large companies and can grow more quickly, are likely to be the biggest beneficiaries. If we are to experience inflation/stagflation over the next several years, companies that can grow rapidly -- i.e., unit growers -- will be sought after, and small may become beautiful.

Conventional wisdom has it that, as a result of the financial system's collapse, bigger is better. But I think bigger is slower and less flexible and therefore less adaptable. I'm especially interested in small companies that are uniquely positioned or are in sectors that have the wind at their back.

That's sort of the prism through which I am viewing the landscape. I've been thinking about this for some time and wanted to pass it along for readers to chew on.

Unfinished business on the downside?
As for the current stock market rally, color me skeptical that the lows for the bear market have been seen. However, given the money printing that has taken place and will take place, folks must give any expectation that they hold a wide degree of latitude.

(All that stimuli and money printing seem poised to take their toll on the dollar -- which, if the case, and if the bond market has indeed seen its lows, will add another level of complication for equities down the road.)

Lastly, part of the reason for my skepticism comes by way of market ******* Justin Mamis.

In March, as I detailed in "Bear's end? Wishing won't make it so," he cited somewhat of an ending sequence that has yet to fully unfold:

An intervening rally from a significant low. (That rally is now under way.)

Eventually, a real surrender, which will set the final low.

In all likelihood, a test of that final low.

Now, it is not written in stone that this sequence must occur. But it's certainly worth thinking about.

At the time of publication, Bill Fleckenstein did not own or control shares of any company mentioned in this column.

I continue to stand with the girl.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »

Several months ago, on the tube was an Asian prediction person, they suggested that metals and the funeral industry would be a place to invest in for the next few years.  After that, the comment was something like "If the U.S. is lucky, the best thing they can hope for is 'stagnation'."  Lost the signal after that. 

Also, some liken the U.S. to post WWI Germany with hyperinflation and hunger.  No money, large debt, no hope.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »

And this news released today, projected deficit increased 50% ...since January!

The Congressional Budget Office has some revised numbers on the budget deficit, if by revised we mean completely different than first reported. The deficit projection has increased 50% since January, and CBO director Douglas Elmendorf blames “enactment of recent legislation.” Gee, do you think he means Porkulus and the omnibus spending bill? quote

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/05/11/cbo-2009-deficit-50-greater-than-expected/

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »

What was Obama's goal in "righting" our economy?  To bankrupt the nation?  To send all our jobs overseas?  Destroy this great nation? 

Any of those 'green' jobs materialize yet?  Anyone laying the foundation?  Building the manufacturing facility?

America was once a prosperous nation.  There were lots of good paying union and non-union jobs in cities and rural places everywhere.  Jobs like weaver, factory worker, domestic, garment worker, construction worker, and secretary.  Jobs you could raise a family on. 

There were also jobs for the college educated.  Jobs you could raise a family on.

There were also people who struggled.  There was a safety net.

The safety net is like a dam.  Built for overcapacity years ago.  A few cracks in the base, a few patches.  The water rises.  Continues to rise.  Just like those levees in Louisiana, the levee is about to burst. 

The Obama administration keeps adding more water and the dam is well past it's capacity to stem the tide of poverty in this nation.  The dam is crumbling...there is no one left to fix it or rebuild it.

All the prosperity has been sent to China, Korea, India, and Mexico.  Some are jobs for all the little people, some are jobs for the college educated. 

There just aren't paying jobs left for anyone.  All the jobs come with a growing IOU to China.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:30:21 AM »

What is Obama's value system?

He was raised in a foreign country.  He went to a foreign school system.  What values did he learn?
He went to a church that promoted "The Black Value System".  What values did he learn?

His grandmother worked her way up at a bank that for some reason remains sound.  She did not have a college education to do that.  She had a good value system.  What values did he learn?

Why is America broke?  Why is our future prosperity and well-being being spent away by Obama?

Who is really being tricked?  Those people who bought mortages they couldn't afford?  Or, the Americans that voted for change?

Would you have voted for change if you knew jobs would be exported?

jmho

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »

This was not the kind of CHANGE  I had in mind..

I did not vote for the smooth talking used car salesman myself.. My dad did.. lol
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »

The latest twist in Detroit’s do-over has General Motors becoming the first automaker to import Chinese-built cars into the United States, according to Automotive News.

Citing a leaked document shown to lawmakers who are overseeing the restructuring of the auto giant, the newspaper reports that GM is planning to market made in China cars to American consumers as early as 2011, the same year the company’s heralded Chevrolet Volt electric car goes on sale.

General Motors is currently the best-selling foreign automaker in China, and Buick is number one brand overall, part of the reason that the nameplate was saved during a recent round of cuts that included the elimination of Pontiac. As an example of the growing influence of that marketplace on the company, the interior of the upcoming replacement for the Buick LaCrosse sedan was designed at a GM studio in Shanghai.

According to the report, GM plans to sell nearly 18,000 Chinese-made vehicles in the US in 2011, with that number rising to over 50,000 by 2014.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2249651/posts

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.