March 28, 2024, 01:50:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: March auto sales hit a monthly record high of 1.11 million units - in China  (Read 1514 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 12, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »

U.S. auto sales fell 34 per cent in April from a year earlier to 820,000. That was about 38,000 fewer than in March but still a big improvement over January's 27-year low.

After slowing late last year as the impact from the global financial crisis deepened, China's auto sales have risen for five straight months. In March, sales hit a monthly record high of 1.11 million units.

read more here -
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gPgbisGmvyucdQ1BNY8TBfJ0PQfw

Report: GM to Sell Chinese Cars in U.S. in 2011

General Motors is currently the best-selling foreign automaker in China, and Buick is number one brand overall, part of the reason that the nameplate was saved during a recent round of cuts that included the elimination of Pontiac. As an example of the growing influence of that marketplace on the company, the interior of the upcoming replacement for the Buick LaCrosse sedan was designed at a GM studio in Shanghai.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519974,00.html

Recent car sales in China have also been boosted by various incentives introduced as part of government stimulus plans, especially in the low-consuming segment, where taxes have been scrapped for cars with engines of 1.6 litres or less. The government is also subsidising the purchase of alternative energy vehicles.

I wonder what kind of 'alternative energy vehicles'?

A look at the profit shares also highlights the troubles in Western car industries compared to the Asian one: German companies had an eight percent increase, the US a loss of 10 percent, while Chinese car makers managed a 30 percent increase.

"European companies all had very big shares of the Chinese market previously, when they had the technological advantage, but the terms of the joint ventures forces the companies to hand over the technologies. Now the Chinese can produce the same technology without needing the European partners," Mr Fox told EUobserver.

"The problem is that Europe doesn't see China as a competitor, it still sees it very much as a developing country," he said.

Japanese car companies, for instance, have all been signing up to a government-negotiated code of practice and were producing in China only car body parts, but not the high-tech engines such as for the Toyota Prius, Japan's cutting-edge eco-car.
http://euobserver.com/884/27972

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »

I think China bought GM a long time ago, and Obama is giving them the rest as a gift for buying our debt - jmho.

While GM plans to slash its U.S. workforce by 38% — 23,000 jobs — by 2011, it's hiring in China and expects to open a new factory there within the next few years. The work rules that strangled productivity for decades on many of GM's U.S. factory floors barely exist in China. Though GM China tightly guards data on labor costs, analysts conservatively estimate that wages and benefits per factory worker are less than a tenth of what they are in North America. "And quality," insists Reilly, "is not an issue" — its Chinese plants are as good as GM factories anywhere. "Within 10 years," says Kevin Wale, Reilly's deputy and the president of GM China, "this will be our largest market in the world."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1896626,00.html

If GM can build factories in China to sell cars in China, why can't China build factories in the U.S. to sell manufactured goods in the U.S.?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.