April 25, 2024, 10:06:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psst...My energy bill is going up $1.5 trillion dollars...how about yours?  (Read 1748 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 12, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »

CHAFFETZ: Expose cap-and-trade costs
By requiring their itemization on utilities bills

To counter the administration's attempt to bury this tax increase in our utility bills, I am sponsoring legislation to require utility companies to itemize on customer utility bills the cap-and-trade taxes that utility companies are passing on to their customers. As regulated entities, utilities pass on 100 percent of their taxes to customers, unlike other businesses, which pass on taxes to shareholders and employees as well as customers. Under my bill, every month, when utility customers - residential and business - receive their utility bills, they would clearly see how much the cap-and-trade tax is really costing them. While government may get our money, it also would get the blame. This is about transparency. If cap-and-trade taxes are such a good idea, why not let taxpayers see how much those taxes will really cost them?

...when you are trying to raise taxes by $1.5 trillion over 10 years, you want to hide as much of this tax increase as possible...

...Mr. Obama proposes a net tax increase on businesses of $327 billion over 10 years. Businesses will pass on these taxes to consumers in the form of higher prices or pass them on to employees in the form of lower wages and benefits or pass them on to shareholders, including the millions of Americans who own 401(k) accounts. Also, a large share of the tax increase on individuals will be imposed on owners of LLCs and subchapter S corporations.

...if Mr. Obama insists on pursuing massive tax increases on American consumers and businesses, he should at least be upfront on how much it will cost us. That's why he should support legislation to require utility companies to disclose on customer utility bills the cap-and-trade tax that is being passed on to consumers.

lots of good stuff here -
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/12/expose-cap-and-trade-costs/

I also heard on the radio today about taxes on sugar drinks and junk food.  I wonder how much that will decrease U.S. consumption and manufacturing.  How long before all our food is imported from China?

Any chance of import taxes to level the playing field?  Fill the budget gap so we don't have to borrow so much from China?

JMHO

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »

Well maybe this will fix the problem?   

The Obama administration is exploring alternative names for cap and trade legislation.

People don't really know what cap and trade means, but they don't like it. So a new name is being concocted to gather support for the legislation.

It doesn't look like the names "carbon tax" or "regressive tax" are in the mix, though. How does "clean energy dividend" grab you?

WSJ: Seeking to bolster public support for climate legislation, the Obama administration is consulting pollsters who advocate avoiding phrases such as "cap-and-trade" and "global warming." On Monday, the White House Council on Environmental Quality was scheduled to meet with Robert Perkowitz, president of ecoAmerica, a Washington-based nonprofit that uses "psychographic research" to "shift personal and civic choices of environmentally agnostic Americans," according to its Web site.

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-administration-trying-to-rename-cap-and-trade-2009-5

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:36:21 AM »

A "clean energy dividend" that costs me money?

I have to believe if government estimates increase by energy bill by 200%, the real price will be more like 400-500%. 

In addition to that, the price I pay for everything will increase as stores pay more, factories pay more to manufacture.

The few manufacturing businesses will be encouraged to move jobs overseas where the labor and energy is cheaper.

The administration wants your money.  Instead of the big oil companies and foreign countries getting our money and strangling us, it will be our own government and "cap and trade" politics.  "Cap and Trade" by any other name, will still be a ripoff for Americans and a paver in the road to destruction of this nation - except for the political class, and those traders and rich people and businesses.

I think we have the following (choose one or more):

A.  The most anti-American president in history

B.   A Shadow President and rich business ruling class making all the decisions (a monopoly)

C.  A figurehead president

D.  A course for destruction - on steroids

No jobs for you America. 

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.