April 18, 2024, 01:01:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teen killed by dad was carrying his baby  (Read 2346 times)
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: May 13, 2009, 11:42:45 AM »

A Bronx man who strangled his pregnant 14-year-old daughter and threw her naked body in a boiler last year was also the father of her unborn child, according to prosecutors.

Miguel Matias, 36, appeared in Bronx Supreme Court Tuesday as prosecutors consolidated the two indictments against him - an earlier one for his daughter's murder on Feb. 16, 2008, and the newest one for second-degree rape and incest.

DNA taken from Matias matches a sample taken from the fetus carried by his daughter, Anna, said Steven Reed, spokesman for Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson.

Matias confessed to the murder, saying he was driven to strangle Anna with an electrical cord when he caught her writing "sex things" on her computer, police said.

Matias has been declared fit to stand trial but has a history of mental illness and has attempted suicide several times, according to his lawyer Roy Schwartz.

The new indictment says Matias raped his daughter between Nov. 15 and Nov. 30, 2007, which means Anna was 2-1/2 to three months pregnant when she was murdered.

Matias' family had previously said Anna was pregnant with a boyfriend's baby.

Matias is scheduled to appear in court again on June 30 and lawyers for both sides said a plea agreement is likely.

Matias faced 25 years to life in prison for the murder charge. He now faces up to an additional seven years in prison for the rape charge.

LINK

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »

NYC dad admits killing daughter found in boiler

Posted at: 10/09/2009 3:05 PM
By COLLEEN LONG

(AP) NEW YORK - A father pleaded guilty Friday to strangling his 14-year-old daughter, who was 12 weeks pregnant with his child, then stuffing her body into his apartment building’s boiler and partially burning it.

Miguel Matias told investigators he strangled his daughter Ana with an electrical cord after he found her writing "sex things" on a computer in February 2008.

It was more than a year later, in April, when additional charges of sexual assault were filed after DNA tests uncovered he had impregnated her.

Matias, 35, initially pleaded not guilty and underwent a psychiatric evaluation after he tried to hang himself in prison. He was found fit to stand trial, but his attorney, Roy Schwartz, had asked for additional testing.

After the plea deal to second-degree murder, he faces the faces the maximum 25 years to life in prison, but could have gotten 50 years to life had the case gone to trial, Schwartz said.

"We had to do it. It’s not a triable case," Schwartz said of the plea.

Ana and her two brothers lived in Allentown, Pa., with their mother, Jocelyn, after the couple separated, and they visited Matias occasionally. To neighbors and relatives, Matias was a doting father who bought the children presents and took them to restaurants.

But the man had a dark side, including a history of violence and mental problems that culminated in Ana’s death.

Matias was institutionalized after trying to set a car on fire with his children inside in Pennsylvania, police said. Family members said it was only after one of his sons said goodbye to his sister that Matias changed his mind and decided not to torch the car.

It was not clear why he continued to have visitation rights. Family members said that before Ana’s death, Matias had wanted to seek psychiatric help. They said he had applied for Medicaid insurance to cover the expense of counseling but was denied.

Matias called 911 the morning of Feb. 16, saying he had strangled Ana the night before and dumped her body in a wooded area of the Bronx, according to police.

But when officers searched his apartment building, for which he was superintendent, they discovered her body in the boiler.

During an earlier hearing, prosecutor Elizabeth McGrath read from a rambling statement Matias gave to police and prosecutors. It detailed how he initially picked up a bat _ but, fearing blood, instead tied a knot around an electrical cord and used it to strangle Ana.

"I want to serve 30 to 50 years," Matias said, according to the statement. "I strangled her. I choked her. I killed her."

Before he dialed 911, he phoned his cousin, Pablo Castillo, who rushed to the apartment, went down to the basement with police and saw a body in the boiler.

"I looked for about a second and then I could not look anymore. I saw part of a burned body. I couldn’t look anymore. I couldn’t believe it," he said in Spanish after the crime came to light.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1184278.shtml?cat=500

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »

If I said what I really wanted to say right now about this guy, I would probably get kicked off of here! grrrr...

and why did mom allow visitation of any kind with this idiot's past history???

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.