March 29, 2024, 04:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etan Patz-1st Missing Child on a Milk Carton Case Re-Opened 31 Years Later Deceased/Conviction  (Read 103931 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/20/justice/new-york-etan-patz-investigation/
Feds search for clues in New York boy missing boy case
From Susan Candiotti and Adam Reiss, CNN
April 20, 2012

::snipping2::
Etan was officially declared dead in 2001 as part of a civil lawsuit filed by his family against a drifter, Jose Antonio Ramos, a convicted child molester acquainted with Etan's babysitter.

A judge found Ramos responsible for the death and ordered him to pay the family $2 million. He never paid the money.

Though Ramos has been considered a key focus of the probe for years, he has never been charged in the case. He is serving a 20-year sentence in a Pennsylvania prison for molesting another boy and is set to be released later this year.

A source said investigators now also want to expand the pool of possible suspects beyond Ramos.

Stan and Julie Patz, Etan's parents, still live a block away from the scene and wouldn't comment on the new developments. A notice on the apartment building said, "To the hardworking and patient media people: The answer to all your questions at this time is 'no comment.' Please stop ringing our bell and calling for interviews."

Lisa Cohen, the author of "After Etan: The Missing Child Case That Held America Captive," told CNN that "the family's been living through this for 33 years. They've had many moments like this. They've learned how to deal with it."

Dozens of police and federal agents gathered outside the building on Manhattan's Prince Street on Thursday and are expected to continue their search over the next five days. FBI Special Agent Peter Donald said the bureau's Evidence Recovery Team is at the scene.

"We are cautiously optimistic" that the search will be helpful," FBI Special Agent Tim Flannelly said.

Forensic evidence uncovered at the scene will be analyzed at the FBI laboratory in Quantico, Virginia, sources said.

It is not clear whether authorities searched the basement in 1979, though a source said it "figured into" the investigation.

Authorities have reason to think the new search could lead to the discovery of the boy's remains at that location, though they remain wary after past leads in the case failed to pan out, according to two sources familiar with the probe.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »

Cops continue to search for clues in Etan Patz disappearance

Investigators carried rubble from a basement excavation site in lower Manhattan on Friday while searching for clues in the 1979 disappearance of a 6-year-old boy.

Utility workers with jackhammers and saws helped chip away an area around aging pipes, then law enforcers wearing workmen's gloves carried out the basketball-size chunks of rubble and carefully placed them in refuse bins.

The material will be sifted and then taken elsewhere for testing.

Etan Patz vanished in 1979 after leaving his family's SoHo home for a short walk to his school bus stop. He became America's missing child, the little boy who went off to school alone and vanished.

FBI and police had arrived Thursday at the building near his home. The renewed investigation recalls the years when printed images of missing children appeared on milk cartons.

Etan's disappearance on May 25, 1979, drew national attention to child safety, ushered in a generation of parents who became afraid to send their kids out alone and helped fuel a movement to publicize missing children's cases. President Ronald Reagan declared the day of the boy's disappearance National Missing Children's Day.

"The story really resonated and touched millions of moms and dads," said Ernie Allen, the president of the National Center for Exploited and Missing Children, which helped push the national milk carton campaign with Etan's image.

And Etan's image on milk cartons, the missing boy shown with thick blond locks and goofy grin, caught the public's imagination like no other. "Etan's photo became almost iconic," Allen said

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cops_7MntUdyLncVYqcIlitBrcP#ixzz1scI5YKpB
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »

Handyman who befriended Etan Patz claims innocence as it emerges his basement could have been dug up 33 years ago but cops said it 'wasn't worth the cost'

The lawyer for the handyman who is the newest person of interest in the disappearance of Etan Patz said his client is innocent of any wrong-doing and has merely been helping police with their investigation.
Michael Farkas spoke to reporters outside the Brooklyn apartment of Othniel Miller, 75, to assure his client was a 'wonderful, hard-working man' who has been cooperating with the case for 30 years - though admired it was the first time he had ever met him.
His statement came on the same day it emerged that police had the opportunity to search the Manhattan basement formerly belonging to Miller which is now at the center of their investigation soon after the six-year-old went missing - but decided not to because it would be too costly.

The FBI and NYPD returned to the place they had considered taking jackhammers to 33 years ago after questioning handyman Miller several times over the last few months.  ::snipping2::

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132164/Etan-Patz-case-reopened-Police-search-apartment-Othniel-Miller-worked-Jose-Ramos.html#ixzz1sdhXw19j
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/21/nyregion/etan-patz-search-methods-explained-by-experts.html
The Science of the Search for the Boy on the Milk Carton
April 21, 2012

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:39:24 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »

33 yrs is so long to hope for evidence to be found.  How many times was that basement cleaned or reworked to hide what might have been down there.  It is such a terrible shame that LE chose not to dig when this happened.  That gave someone a chance to move anything that might have been there.  Just a shame!

These are my opinions and subject to change.
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 08:25:25 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/22/justice/new-york-patz-probe/index.html

Official: Suspicious stain found in basement search for Etan Patz
From Susan Candiotti and Ross Levitt, CNN
updated 5:06 AM EDT, Sun April 22, 2012

New York (CNN) -- Investigators discovered a suspicious stain Saturday on a concrete wall while tearing apart a basement in their search for clues in the case of Etan Patz, a 6-year-old who disappeared more than three decades ago, a law enforcement official told CNN.

FBI agents, assisted by the New York Police Department, discovered the stain by spraying the chemical luminol, the law enforcement official said.

The chemical can indicate the presence of blood, but is not always conclusive, according to the official. At this time, the stain is described only as an area of interest.

Investigators used chainsaws to dig out a piece of the wall, which will be sent to the FBI laboratory in Virginia for analysis, the official said.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 08:33:09 AM »

Playroom eyed as hell cellar
Suspect used kiddie space as workshop

By KATHIANNE BONIELLO and KEVIN FASICK
Last Updated: 7:44 AM, April 22, 2012
Posted: 1:44 AM, April 22, 2012

They are looking for evidence of death in a SoHo basement that once bustled with life.

Photos emerged yesterday that show beaming kids in the basement of 127 Prince St., where FBI investigators have been searching for evidence in the disappearance 33 years ago of Etan Patz.

The cellar that police now believe may hold the answers to the city’s most heart-wrenching mystery was a space transformed by industrious parents from a commercial cellar to a bright playground.

“We all got together and put down vinyl tiles on the floor and painted the walls,” said Donald Gangemi. “We wound up with 13 kids.”

The parents, lacking community facilities, chipped in to renovate the space, donated by an adjacent art gallery.

The room had no windows but ran the length of the building with a door to the outside, said Judy Reichler, one of the founding parents.

The basement would have been familiar territory to the Patz family. Etan’s older sister, Shira, was a play-group member, Reichler recalled.

But by 1979, the basement was also the domain of Othniel Miller, the now-75-year-old handyman known for doing odd jobs around the neighborhood who emerged this past week as a prime suspect in the case.

“He was a very good craftsman,” said Steve Kuzma, 78, building manager of nearby 133 Wooster St.

Just a day before Etan vanished in May 1979, he was in the basement, earning a buck from Miller for helping out in his workshop.

After Etan’s disappearance, investigators looking for him noticed freshly poured concrete — although they never dug it up after being told they’d have to pay for repairs.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/playroom_eyed_as_hell_cellar_eNtvn1xXpAwjpZC0h63IjP#ixzz1sltavwSf

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »

FBI eyes SoHo handyman neighbor who was last seen with Etan 33 years ago

FBI agents visited suspect Othniel Miller twice in the last three days as the decades-long cold case has been reopened

Etan Patz case: FBI eyes handyman neighbor Othniel Miller after 33 years
Miller was seen with the missing youth on the night before his abduction, and his former workspace in the basement of 127B Prince St. is now the focus of a full-scale excavation for remains and clues

By Corinne Lestch, Henrick Karoliszyn AND Larry Mcshane / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 8:51 PM
Updated: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 3:32 AM

The retired SoHo handyman suspected in the death of Etan Patz was visited Saturday for the second time in three days by FBI agents probing the reheated cold case.

Although Othniel Miller first started answering questions about the case 33 years ago, FBI agents stopped at his Brooklyn apartment again in the early morning, according to his daughter Stephanie.

“Give him some privacy,” she said of the sickly senior citizen, who had already met several times with the feds over the last month.

The sudden, sustained interest in the 75-year-old man came as the investigation took a dramatic turn this week, with a joint FBI/NYPD team returning to the neighborhood where Patz disappeared.

Miller was seen with the missing youth on the night before his abduction, and his former workspace in the basement of 127B Prince St. is now the focus of a full-scale excavation for remains and clues.

Stan Patz watches the investigation from his fire escape over Prince St.

Retired handyman Othniel Miller after questioning on Thursday.

Jose Ramos in a 2010 mug shot from the Penn. Dept. of Corrections.

Etan Patz, who vanished on May 25, 1979, on his way to school.

The FBI also questioned a man named Jesse Snell, who had done work for Miller, as part of the recent probe, law enforcement sources said.

Miller’s daughter told the Daily News this week that the FBI was trying to track down several of her father’s former employees.

The dig — just a few doors down the SoHo street from the Patz residence — was in its third day Saturday, and could last through Tuesday.

“The FBI evidence team will be here for as long as it takes,” said FBI spokesman Peter Donald.

Sources said Saturday that a stain from an unknown substance was found on cinder blocks in the basement Thursday, and is being tested.Miller’s ex-wife — in an allegation yet to be confirmed by authorities — told the FBI last year that her 1986 divorce from the Jamaican native was prompted by his sexual assault on a niece, sources told The News.

Miller insisted that he had an alibi for the day of that incident, although the source said his story could not be corroborated or refuted by the feds. And the niece has never been located.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/etan-patz-case-fbi-eye-handyman-neighbor-othniel-miller-33-years-article-1.1065531#ixzz1slyHtaxQ
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

NEW BLINK POST:

http://blinkoncrime.com/2012/04/22/boy-in-the-basement-is-etan-patz-the-prince-of-prince-street/

Boy In The Basement: Is Etan Patz The Prince of Prince Street?
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »

I was talking with a co-worker the other day about this case.  The conversation lead to her saying that she didn't want him to be found in there because it was only a few doors down from where he lived after all these years of looking for him.  I told her that I hope they do find him there to give the family closure.  I said I want to be the person to bury my child.  I didn't want a child molester to have the claim of burring a life I brought into this world.  She looked at me and said when you say it that way you are right.  She said I was just thinking about how hurtful it would be to the parents.  I said either way it's going to be hurtful.  I want to take away the satisfaction this monster had thinking he was going to get away with what he did.  JMO.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 02:50:07 PM »

Well said, San      

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »

I was talking with a co-worker the other day about this case.  The conversation lead to her saying that she didn't want him to be found in there because it was only a few doors down from where he lived after all these years of looking for him.  I told her that I hope they do find him there to give the family closure.  I said I want to be the person to bury my child.  I didn't want a child molester to have the claim of burring a life I brought into this world.  She looked at me and said when you say it that way you are right.  She said I was just thinking about how hurtful it would be to the parents.  I said either way it's going to be hurtful.  I want to take away the satisfaction this monster had thinking he was going to get away with what he did.  JMO.

In my experience, you are exactly right.  I have never heard a family of a missing loved one say they would rather never find them if the death was heinous or some other form or horror.

I also feel strongly that finding Etan will be a huge win in the hope category for many families missing their children in unsolved cases.  The Patz's are also deeply religious people and laying their son to rest is very important to them.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/22/suspicious-stain-found-in-new-york-city-basement-in-search-for-etan-patz-source/

Stain found in New York City basement in search for Etan Patz could be blood, source says

By Cristina Corbin

Published April 22, 2012

FoxNews.com

Authorities are testing a suspicious stain found on the wall of a basement being searched in the decades-old disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz, a source close to the case told FoxNews.com.

The source says when investigators sprayed Luminol on a wall in the basement, they detected "an organic substance" -- "possibly blood" -- and that the stain has been taken away for further testing. So far, about 50 percent of the basement has been removed.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303592404577360344046456070.html
No Remains Found in Dig
Authorities Suspend Search of SoHo Basement in Investigation of Etan Patz Case
April 22, 2012

Investigators searching a Soho basement for clues to the 1979 disappearance of a 6-year-old Manhattan boy have found no obvious human remains and suspended their efforts on Sunday, said a law-enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation.

The New York Police Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation met Sunday with the family of Etan Patz, who vanished on his way to the school bus 33 years ago. They found items of interest in the basement and are testing them, the official said.
Officials said they planned to shut down the investigation scene on Prince Street on Monday afternoon.

Earlier on Sunday, an FBI spokesman said inclement weather, including heavy rains and high winds, had forced investigators to halt their probe for "operational reasons."

"Our on scene commander decided that suspending operations was the best thing today," said spokesman J. Peter Donald. "We suspended for operational reasons, and I don't want to get into what those reasons are.... We will be back as long as it's needed to complete a through investigation of the crime scene. We will be here as long as it takes."

The FBI declined to comment on developments in the case.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-usa-newyorkboy-update-2l2e8fm1yn-20120422,0,1946528.story
UPDATE 2-Search for long missing NY boy fails to find remains
April 22, 2012

(3 pgs.)

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »

Sad tale of Etan Patz still grips city

33 years later and missing child's story continues to haunt

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
Updated: Monday, April 23, 2012, 4:00 AM

It all comes back now in a rush, nearly 33 years after a 6-year-old boy named Etan Patz went missing on the walk from his home on Prince St. to a school bus stop on West Broadway and changed the life of this city forever.

There had been other children abducted before in New York. But somehow the disappearance of this boy, one whose beautiful, smiling face was instantly known to us all, was like some kind of terrorist attack to the city’s heart. Etan Patz was not safe on the streets of his own neighborhood and in that moment no child was safe.

And from the start, the people working the case or just familiar with it thought the boy had never made it out of the neighborhood. They just could not find evidence of that, could not find Etan Patz, who in those days became everybody’s child.

“Nobody ever really thought that some stranger pulled up in a Chevy Malibu and made off with this boy,” Linda Fairstein was saying Sunday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/sad-tale-etan-grips-city-article-1.1065830#ixzz1srJY2LaL
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 07:41:51 AM »

I agree with everyone that bringing the loved home and knowing finally what happened is s important to a family of a missing loved one.  It's also important to let the perps know they can never escape their crime and think they got away with it.  No matter how old they are, they can still be held accountable.

It's a shame that the NYPD didn't feel they needed to dig up this basement all those years ago.  They may have found Etan or the clues needed to find him and his murderer.

All these years later, all they may have done is churned up the pain and anxiety in Etan's loved ones.  And possibly struck fear into an aged killer's heart.  Perhaps the best we can hope for is that Etan's killer come forward and do the right thing before he dies.

I do wonder whether the NYPD will continue to keep this case active or whether they will once again file it as a cold case.  Would the financial resources used to keep this case  open be better used someplace else?

That's a moral and ethical choice I'm glad I don't have to make.  But one that certainly needs to be addressed.  When the LE stops investigating, are we sure they did all they can do or are they simply giving up? Or are they relegating their resources to a newer case in their never ending supply of missing persons?  Another question that comes to mind, are we doing enough as LE and concerned citizens to prevent so many loved ones from going missing in the first place?  Is 48 hours too long to wait in the case of an adult?

Just some deep thoughts on the subject I wanted to share......

Challapalca him!
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 08:13:32 AM »

I agree with everyone that bringing the loved home and knowing finally what happened is s important to a family of a missing loved one.  It's also important to let the perps know they can never escape their crime and think they got away with it.  No matter how old they are, they can still be held accountable.

It's a shame that the NYPD didn't feel they needed to dig up this basement all those years ago.  They may have found Etan or the clues needed to find him and his murderer.

All these years later, all they may have done is churned up the pain and anxiety in Etan's loved ones.  And possibly struck fear into an aged killer's heart.  Perhaps the best we can hope for is that Etan's killer come forward and do the right thing before he dies.

I do wonder whether the NYPD will continue to keep this case active or whether they will once again file it as a cold case.  Would the financial resources used to keep this case  open be better used someplace else?

That's a moral and ethical choice I'm glad I don't have to make.  But one that certainly needs to be addressed.  When the LE stops investigating, are we sure they did all they can do or are they simply giving up? Or are they relegating their resources to a newer case in their never ending supply of missing persons?  Another question that comes to mind, are we doing enough as LE and concerned citizens to prevent so many loved ones from going missing in the first place?  Is 48 hours too long to wait in the case of an adult?

Just some deep thoughts on the subject I wanted to share......

I agree that it is important to let the perps know they didn't get away with their crime.  Imagine if the LE gave up on most cold cases.  We would have a lot of people breathing easy thinking they got away with murder.  LE needs to keep the fear in their hearts that they will always be looking.

I have always wondered why they never dug up the basement 30 years ago.  I have read they the LE didn't have the resources to do so.  If I were the owner of that building and I knew that two of the perps worked from my basement I would have give the LE card blanche to do what they needed to do.

I have read where Othniel Miller blurted out to the police "what if they moved the body" on one of their visits to question him.  Now why would he say something like that.  Makes you wonder.

Cy Vance promised this family that he would reopen this case if he was elected.  He kept his promise.

We as citizens can only do so much to help LE.  We can't do their jobs for them.  They get paid for what they do.  What we can do is keep a watchful eye on suspicious activity and report it.  We can't do their jobs because we are not trained they way they are.  Like the saying goes "If you see something say something".

I think this case was reopened because of all the new technology available to help assist in the search for Etan.  If DNA testing wasn't available I don't think they would have reopened this case.

JMO
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »

Search of basement in Etan Patz case expected to resume Monday

NEW YORK –  Investigators searching for clues in the decades-old disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz will resume their search of a basement near his New York City home Monday morning.

FBI spokesman Jim Margolin told Fox affiliate WNYW-TV that the search of the basement was halted Sunday due to rain and other factors.

A source close to the case told FoxNews.com that authorities are testing a suspicious stain found on one of the basement's walls on Saturday. The source said when investigators sprayed Luminol on the wall, they detected "an organic substance" -- "possibly blood."

The basement being searched is the former workspace of retired handyman Othniel Miller, 75, who was seen with Patz the night before he disappeared from Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood in 1979.

The focus of the investigation shifted to Miller after investigators received new leads in the case. Miller, originally from Jamaica, was interviewed after the boy disappeared and had what authorities deemed a solid alibi at the time.

Authorities, however, noticed that Miller had a newly cemented concrete floor around the time of Etan's disappearance, but opted not to dig it up.

A source close to the case said "there is truth to that" when asked about news reports that Miller blurted out "What if the body was moved?" when taken by police to the basement in recent days.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/23/search-basement-in-etan-patz-case-expected-to-resume-monday/#ixzz1srjXuNZk

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »

This case is one reason I see a need to use whatever means necessary to get info from perps.  Pump them full of drugs, waterboard them, what ever it takes.  Because, when you think about it, they torture their poor victims in even more horrible ways.  Then, as in this case, they spend 33 yrs torturing the family of the victim. 

Treating these monsters like delicate flowers only serves to feed their sickness.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.