March 28, 2024, 05:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etan Patz-1st Missing Child on a Milk Carton Case Re-Opened 31 Years Later Deceased/Conviction  (Read 103913 times)
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »

So what the heck happened to the 'box'?  If there really was a box, was it picked up by the garbage truck and taken to the dump without ever being opened?

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2012, 10:19:35 PM »

So what the heck happened to the 'box'?  If there really was a box, was it picked up by the garbage truck and taken to the dump without ever being opened?

I don't know, KittyMom.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2012, 10:21:22 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/nyregion/in-etan-patz-case-a-vigil-over-many-decades.html
Since 1979, a Vigil for the First Face on Milk Cartons and the Ages He Would Miss
By JAMES BARRON
May 24, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »

That what probably happened if this is true.  When you live in the city the trash is piled up pretty high near businesses when it's trash day.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2012, 02:28:52 AM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/forever_haunted_shamed_nd26Qi7Xj68O91bxpOJMeJ?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Local
Forever haunted & shamed
May 25, 2012

::snipping2::
The relief is palpable. But the pain and anger will never die.

Many conspired to cover up the 1979 murder of little Etan Patz — the lost boy who will burn forever in the city’s consciousness as the symbol of our pain, suffering and collective guilt.

Pedro Hernandez, 52, of New Jersey, yesterday confessed that he lured young Etan into the basement of a SoHo bodega back in 1979, 33 years ago to this day.

It was just around the corner, and an eternity, from the spot where Etan lived.

He then strangled the poor child, Hernandez admitted to cops, and tossed his lifeless body into the trash. We may never know why, but we know Hernandez never tried to hide his alleged crime.

His loved ones hid his alleged savagery for him — without giving a thought to the damage it did to our city, our nation. To a generation of children who grew up, went to college and had kids of their own, always thinking in the back of their minds: “This could happen to someone I love.’’

For decades, in fact, Hernandez virtually screamed from the rooftops — “I killed Etan.’’ But no one wanted to hear.

Hernandez confessed to his family that he “did a bad thing’’ and murdered a child more than 30 years ago. They did nothing.

He told his so-called “spiritual adviser’’ that he was a child killer at least as far back as the 1980s.

The silence was deafening.
The cops never interviewed Hernandez all those years ago, they admitted yesterday shamefacedly.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2012, 02:34:15 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/nyregion/arrest-of-etan-patz-suspect-shows-haste-by-the-police.html
Publicity First, Evidence Later in Patz Arrest
By JIM DWYER
May 24, 2012

The boy disappeared 33 years ago, the suspect had been in custody for barely a day, after decades of false starts, but already the publicity engine was outracing the actual investigation or filing of charges. “People heard the word ‘confession’ and they think that’s it, the case is solved,” a law enforcement official involved in the case said.

Is it?

“If this was a baseball game, we would be in the first inning,” the official, who would not be identified, said. “He is lucid, he’s persuasive. But there is not a lot of corroborating information.”

So far, the office of the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., has not filed charges, though officials suggested that that would happen on Friday, if Mr. Hernandez’s story held up. Mr. Vance did not appear at the police commissioner’s news conference or with the mayor earlier in the day. The attitude among prosecutors was that while Mr. Hernandez had told a compelling story, there was absolutely no need to rush, and many good reasons to be cautious.
The law enforcement official involved in the case said that investigators were now trying to find reasons to trust Mr. Hernandez’s story. Why would a man with no known history of pedophilia or murderous impulses lure a boy into a bodega basement and strangle him?

“He doesn’t give any motivation in the statement,” the official said. “The admission was totally unsolicited.”

All through the rainy spring afternoon, investigators were chasing down family members and others who had contact with Mr. Hernandez. They were trying to see if he had a pattern of falsely claiming to have done other terrible things, or if he had a psychiatric history.

Asked a number of times why the confession was trustworthy, Mr. Kelly said “the detectives” had credited it, and cited its length of over three hours. But he said in answer to many questions that the detectives were still investigating.
The news conference had come first, while the investigation into many basic facts would have to catch up.
“Wasn’t it just last month that we were digging up a basement and were sure that it was another guy?” the law enforcement official said. “There’ll be plenty of time for a victory lap, if it’s warranted.”

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2012, 05:56:26 AM »

Arrest at last in 1979 Etan Patz murder; suspect to appear in court today

* NJ man had ‘urge to kill’ 6-yr.-old

By JAMIE SCHRAM, DOUG AUER, LARRY CELONA and DAN MANGAN
Last Updated: 5:20 AM, May 25, 2012
Posted: 2:42 AM, May 25, 2012

New York’s most notorious and chilling mystery has finally been solved.

A former SoHo bodega stock boy has confessed to murdering 6-year-old Etan Patz — and will answer to the crime in court exactly 33 years after the boy disappeared while walking to a school-bus stop.

Pedro Hernandez who was charged with second-degree murder yesterday, told cops he had never seen Etan before that day — but once he spotted him, “I knew he was the one . . . [ I ] just felt the urge to kill,” according to a law-enforcement source.

Hernandez, 51, lured the child “with the promise of a soda, and led him to the basement of the bodega, and strangled him there,” said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

Hernandez then placed Etan’s body in a bag, took it about a block and a half away and left it “with the trash,” Kelly said.

Hernandez denied sexually abusing the boy, but investigators are skeptical, sources said.

In his written confession, Hernandez stated, “I’m sorry, I shoke [sic] him,” the sources said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/arrest_at_last_in_murder_DRJQtD8Q3jXWnWGyEjOfwM#ixzz1vsDoNO7w

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

I have my doubts about this.  I want some closure for the Patz family, but this just doesn't sound reasonable.

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »

I have my doubts about this.  I want some closure for the Patz family, but this just doesn't sound reasonable.

I know...it seems really odd after all of this time this man admits to it.  I would like to know what prompted this...did they go and ask questions and he broke or did he approach LE?  I was also thinking about what would happen if he makes it to trial (if he chooses to plead not guilty) and then back tracks his statement and says that he lied...do they have anything at all on him, other than his confession?  So sad for the family.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »

I know...it seems really odd after all of this time this man admits to it.  I would like to know what prompted this...did they go and ask questions and he broke or did he approach LE?  I was also thinking about what would happen if he makes it to trial (if he chooses to plead not guilty) and then back tracks his statement and says that he lied...do they have anything at all on him, other than his confession?  So sad for the family.

Also, I wonder if he knew the guy sitting in jail (Ramos)?  He is up to get out of prison, right?  Isn't that why they are working so hard on finding out what happened to Etan? 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »

Suspect in Etan Patz murder taken to Bellevue Hospital, placed on suicide watch: source
By LAURA ITALIANO
Last Updated: 11:24 AM, May 25, 2012
Posted: 10:22 AM, May 25, 2012

The former bodega where Pedro Hernandez claimed he killed Etan Patz.

The former SoHo bodega stock boy who confessed to murdering 6-year-old Etan Patz was taken to Bellevue Hospital this morning and placed on suicide watch after telling authorities he was off his psychiatric medication, sources told The Post.

"He has been talking about killing himself," a source said.

Pedro Hernandez, who has been charged with second-degree murder, told cops yesterday he had never seen Etan before that day — but once he spotted him, “I knew he was the one . . . [ I ] just felt the urge to kill,” according to a law-enforcement source.

At 5:30 a.m. today, after being in police custody for more than 24 hours, Hernandez was taken to Bellevue Hospital, saying he was depressed and off his medication.

The hospital visit is expected to delay Hernandez's arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court, which is now scheduled for sometime this afternoon.

Hernandez, 51, lured the child “with the promise of a soda, and led him to the basement of the bodega, and strangled him there,” said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

Hernandez then placed Etan’s body in a bag, took it about a block and a half away and left it “with the trash,” Kelly said.

Hernandez denied sexually abusing the boy, but investigators are skeptical, sources said.

In his written confession, Hernandez stated, “I’m sorry, I shoke [sic] him,” the sources said.

Yesterday’s arrest of the married New Jersey dad — who was 18 when Etan was killed — brought a sense of closure to the boy’s long-suffering parents.

Stan and Julie Patz were out of the city, but cops informed them of the dramatic development. “Mr. Patz was taken aback, a little surprised and overwhelmed,” said Lt. Christopher Zimmerman, head of the NYPD’s Missing Persons Squad.

Hernandez’s name was included in a detective’s report when the case broke, but was not questioned until Wednesday.

The cancer-stricken Hernandez, a churchgoing teetotaler, was identified as a suspect in the past month by a member of his family after news broke that investigators were digging up a former handyman’s basement on Prince Street in late April.

Nothing was found there, but the search prompted Hernandez’s brother-in-law, José Lopez, to call the NYPD and tell them that Hernandez had admitted killing an unnamed child shortly after Etan vanished, sources said.

Read more: http://tinyurl.com/7kskfaz
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:00:19 PM by San » Logged
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2012, 12:01:14 PM »

Thanks San...that article answered a lot of my questions.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-05-25/etan-patz/55210168/1
Man charged with 2nd-degree murder in Etan Patz case
By Donna Leinwand Leger, USA TODAY
May 25, 2012

On the 33rd anniversary of 6-year-old Etan Patz disappearance from a New York City neighborhood, prosecutors on Friday charged a former convenience store clerk with 2nd-degree murder.
Authorities say they have a detailed, signed confession from Hernandez and corroborating accounts from relatives and friends who heard Hernandez admit that he'd "done something bad" to a child in New York City.

On Friday in a video hearing from his bed at Belleview Hospital, Hernandez pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder charges. Hernandez, questioned by prosecutors in New Jersey on Wednesday and arrested Thursday, was at the hospital to undergo a psychological examination and receive medicine for an existing health problem, but doctors admitted him after he said he was contemplating suicide, police said.

Hernandez' court-appointed attorney Harvey Fishbein said Friday he had not met with his client and had no comment about the criminal case against him. Fishbein said he expected Hernandez to be arraigned at the hospital.

Video:
http://bcove.me/vwnr58m1

Photo Gallery with 13 Images
:
http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Arrest+in+Etan+Patz+case/G3923,A12558

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »

Etan Patz case: Confessed killer Pedro Hernandez formally charged with second-degree murder, exactly 33 years after boy vanished

Pedro Hernandez faces arraignment on murder charge in death of 6-year-old in 1979

By Rocco Parascandola, Janon Fisher AND Corky Siemaszko / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The confessed killer of little Etan Patz was formally charged Friday with strangling the 6-year-old boy and stuffing his body “inside a plastic bag.”

Pedro Hernandez was hit with the second-degree murder charge while he was sitting on a suicide watch at Bellevue Hospital.

Hernandez, who was supposed to be arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court, wound up facing justice wearing an orange prison jumpsuit in a fifth floor hospital conference room after he “started making statements about wanting to kill himself,” sources said.

Hernandez, who also admitted he’d been on psychiatric meds in the past, was charged exactly 33 years after little Etan disappeared while en route to a school bus stop in SoHo.

A disabled former construction worker who also reportedly suffers from cancer, Hernandez was taken to the hospital initially for medicine for another undisclosed ailment.

It was then that doctors deemed him a danger to himself.

His wife, Rosemary, and college-age daughter, Becky, had been expecting to see him at the courthouse.

When they got word Hernandez wasn’t coming, they left, accompanied by a young man with corn-rowed hair and their court-appointed lawyer, Harvey Fishbein.

Meanwhile in Soho, Etan’s long-suffering parents, Stan and Julie Patz, returned home to their Prince St. apartment from Massachusetts.

They were up in Cambridge watching their daughter receive a master’s degree in education from Harvard on Thursday while police were preparing to charge Hernandez with killing Etan. They also have another son.

Etan was killed about a block away from his home at what was then a bodega at 448 West Broadway. It is now a store that sells high-end eye glasses.

“It was just another store in the neighborhood,” said 71-year-old Jonathan Straus, who stopped by to look at the makeshift memorial of flowers and teddy bears that appeared there overnight.

Other longtime SoHo denizens recalled the bodega owner, whom they remembered as Miguel, held cockfights in the basement where Etan was killed.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/etan-patz-suspect-takes-detour-bellevue-hospital-court-appearance-article-1.1084474#ixzz1vvTsRCJl
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »

Suspect in Etan Patz case arraigned on murder charge

From Susan Candiotti, CNN
updated 7:07 PM EDT, Fri May 25, 2012

New York (CNN) -- Pedro Hernandez was arraigned early Friday evening on a second-degree charge tied to the case of Etan Patz, the New York boy whose disappearance 33 years to the day spurred nationwide attention about missing children.

The suspect appeared about 6:25 p.m. Friday via video feed from Manhattan's Bellevue Hospital Center, where he is being held for evaluation and is on suicide watch, according to a law enforcement source.

Judge Matthew Sciarrino presided over the proceedings from a New York courtroom, where people watched the arraignment.

Sciarrino denied bail for Hernandez after defense attorney Harvey Fishbein said the suspect has a "long psychiatric history" including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and hallucinations. The lawyer asked that Hernandez undergo a full psychiatric evaluation, a request the judge granted.

Dressed in an orange jumpsuit and sitting at a brown table, Hernandez did not speak and showed no evident emotion during the proceedings.

The next major step in the legal process would be for a grand jury to hear prosecutors' evidence against Hernandez for a potential indictment. It is not clear when this might happen.

The former Manhattan stock clerk who lived in Etan's neighborhood when the boy vanished was arrested Thursday by police following up on a tip.

The next day, he was sent to the hospital "because he's on medications, and we prefer to administer those in a hospital setting," said police spokesman Paul Browne, who declined to elaborate on the medications.

"When Hernandez arrived at the hospital, he began making statements that he wanted to die, and a psychiatric evaluation was ordered, " added the law enforcement source.

Neighbors say suspect in Patz killing lived a quiet life with his family

Hernandez, who was 19 in 1979, told police he lured Etan to a store with the promise of a soda, choked him and placed his body in the trash about a block and a half away, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said. The boy was killed in the basement of a Manhattan building, according to the charging document filed late Friday afternoon by the Manhattan district attorney's office.

"Detectives believe in the credibility of the statement," Kelly said, although investigators had not uncovered any forensic evidence linking Hernandez to the boy's disappearance.

Kelly said it is unlikely that Etan's remains would be found.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/25/justice/new-york-etan-patz/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304065704577426673396270252.html
Confession Not Enough in Patz Case
By TAMER EL-GHOBASHY, STEVE EDER and SEAN GARDINER
May 25, 2012

Prosecutors brought a formal murder charge against the man who allegedly confessed to murdering 6-year-old Etan Patz in New York City in 1979, but they will face the challenges of trying a decades-old case with little evidence.

Pedro Hernandez appeared at his criminal-court arraignment early Friday evening via a video-link from Bellevue Hospital Center where he had been admitted for a psychiatric evaluation. He sat wearing an orange jumpsuit and didn't address the court as his attorney said the suspect had a long history of mental illness, including schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder.

The attorney, Harvey Fishbein, said Mr. Hernandez also suffers from visual and auditory hallucinations during the brief arraignment in which his client was ordered held without bail by Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Matthew Sciarrino Jr. He wasn't required to enter a plea.
More...

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »

Oh, good grief...this guy is nuts.  No way can they believe his story without proof.

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2012, 12:04:05 AM »

Oh, good grief...this guy is nuts.  No way can they believe his story without proof.

I agree that he is nuts.  It makes me wonder what other information they have on him.  What exactly did he tell the police that made them charge him.  I know he gave the confession but it's something he said that made it stick.

Yesterday commissioner Kelly said we have our man.  They weren't saying too much in the press conference.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »

SoHo pals saw the devil in Etan 'killer'

By JEANE MACINTOSH and LORENA MONGELLI
Last Updated: 5:47 AM, May 26, 2012
Posted: 1:02 AM, May 26, 2012

In the first desperate days after Etan Patz disappeared, scores of neighborhood kids frantically took to their bikes to help search for the missing SoHo 6-year-old.

But one 19-year-old, known for his explosive temper, stood alone in front of the corner store where he worked, silently watching the futile efforts of his friends.

He was the boy’s killer, bodega stock boy Pedro Hernandez.

“Every day, we were all out looking for Etan — everyone except Pedro,” said Roberto Monticello, who was 16 at the time.

“We would meet every morning, our posse with our bikes, at the jewelry store across the street from the deli” where Hernandez worked — which was plastered with photos of Etan.

They were “inside, outside, everywhere you looked,” he said. “Pedro would just stand outside, looking at us, watching. Looking back, it seems strange. Everyone was searching. But he didn’t.”

Monticello, along with several Hernandez relatives, said the suspect always had a dark side and was full of simmering rage.

“He was tightly coiled — you wouldn’t want to get him angry,” Monticello said.

“He was the kind of guy you just knew, even as a kid, that one day he’ll lose it. He’ll just blow up, hit someone, stab them, whatever,” he said.

“But kill a child? I never would have thought that of him.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/waiting_for_killer_to_snap_c9eI26iqgDtq7in0NcN3gO#ixzz1vyPjEWSK
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2012, 08:37:35 AM »

Suspect in Etan Patz murder taken to Bellevue Hospital, placed on suicide watch: source
By LAURA ITALIANO
Last Updated: 11:24 AM, May 25, 2012
Posted: 10:22 AM, May 25, 2012

The former bodega where Pedro Hernandez claimed he killed Etan Patz.

The former SoHo bodega stock boy who confessed to murdering 6-year-old Etan Patz was taken to Bellevue Hospital this morning and placed on suicide watch after telling authorities he was off his psychiatric medication, sources told The Post.

"He has been talking about killing himself," a source said.

Pedro Hernandez, who has been charged with second-degree murder, told cops yesterday he had never seen Etan before that day — but once he spotted him, “I knew he was the one . . . [ I ] just felt the urge to kill,” according to a law-enforcement source.

At 5:30 a.m. today, after being in police custody for more than 24 hours, Hernandez was taken to Bellevue Hospital, saying he was depressed and off his medication.

The hospital visit is expected to delay Hernandez's arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court, which is now scheduled for sometime this afternoon.

Yesterday’s arrest of the married New Jersey dad — who was 18 when Etan was killed — brought a sense of closure to the boy’s long-suffering parents.

Stan and Julie Patz were out of the city, but cops informed them of the dramatic development. “Mr. Patz was taken aback, a little surprised and overwhelmed,” said Lt. Christopher Zimmerman, head of the NYPD’s Missing Persons Squad.

Hernandez’s name was included in a detective’s report when the case broke, but was not questioned until Wednesday.

The cancer-stricken Hernandez, a churchgoing teetotaler, was identified as a suspect in the past month by a member of his family after news broke that investigators were digging up a former handyman’s basement on Prince Street in late April.

Nothing was found there, but the search prompted Hernandez’s brother-in-law, José Lopez, to call the NYPD and tell them that Hernandez had admitted killing an unnamed child shortly after Etan vanished, sources said.

Read more: http://tinyurl.com/7kskfaz

If Hernandez told his own family that he had killed a young boy shortly after Etan went missing, why didn't they report it then?  I'm appalled!

Challapalca him!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.