March 29, 2024, 07:22:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etan Patz-1st Missing Child on a Milk Carton Case Re-Opened 31 Years Later Deceased/Conviction  (Read 103942 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/06/longtime-suspect-in-etan-patz-case-to-be-released/
Longtime suspect in Etan Patz case to be released
November 6, 2012

PHILADELPHIA –  The man who was long the prime suspect in a landmark case of a missing New York City boy is about to be released from a Pennsylvania prison where he spent 20 years for molesting other children
 ::snipping2::
Jose Ramos, was declared responsible for Etan's death in a civil court in 2004, but the Manhattan district attorney's office has said there wasn't enough evidence to charge him criminally. He has denied any involvement in Etan's disappearance.

Ramos has been incarcerated at a prison at Dallas in northeastern Pennsylvania on unrelated child molestation convictions. Prison spokesman Michael Goyne said Tuesday that Ramos is set to be freed Wednesday.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/06/3084522/longtime-suspect-in-etan-patz.html#storylink=misearch

Posted on Tuesday, 11.06.12

Longtime Etan Patz suspect released, then held

By JOANN LOVIGLIO
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- A man long considered the prime suspect in the disappearance of a New York City boy more than three decades ago was released from a Pennsylvania prison on Wednesday, then immediately arrested on a Megan's Law violation after providing an outdated address of where he would be residing, state police said.

Jose Antonio Ramos was immediately taken into custody following his release from a northeastern Pennsylvania prison where he spent more than 20 years for molesting children because he failed to provide accurate information as required of sex offenders, according to state police.

Pennsylvania State Police Lt. Richard Krawetz said Ramos gave an address of a relative from more than 30 years ago and, while the address existed, the relative hasn't lived at that location for years, Krawetz said.

"When he walked out of the main gate, he was taken into custody by troopers," he said.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/06/3084522/longtime-suspect-in-etan-patz.html#storylink=misearch

Posted on Tuesday, 11.06.12

Longtime Etan Patz suspect released, then held

By JOANN LOVIGLIO
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- A man long considered the prime suspect in the disappearance of a New York City boy more than three decades ago was released from a Pennsylvania prison on Wednesday, then immediately arrested on a Megan's Law violation after providing an outdated address of where he would be residing, state police said.

Jose Antonio Ramos was immediately taken into custody following his release from a northeastern Pennsylvania prison where he spent more than 20 years for molesting children because he failed to provide accurate information as required of sex offenders, according to state police.

Pennsylvania State Police Lt. Richard Krawetz said Ramos gave an address of a relative from more than 30 years ago and, while the address existed, the relative hasn't lived at that location for years, Krawetz said.

"When he walked out of the main gate, he was taken into custody by troopers," he said.

So no one from Pardons and Parole had verified that he was indeed to be living at this relative's house?  My daughter was only in for a year and they called me before they would ever grant her probation.   

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2012, 08:11:58 AM »

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/13/15144861-grand-jury-considers-charges-in-etan-patz-disappearance?lite

Grand jury considers charges in Etan Patz disappearance
11-14-12

NEW YORK -- A Manhattan grand jury is hearing evidence against Pedro Hernandez in the 1979 disappearance of Etan Patz, NBC 4 New York has learned.

Follow @NBCNewsUS

A decision is expected by Thursday whether Hernandez will be indicted on kidnapping and murder charges.
 ::snipping2:: ::snipping2:: much more at link

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »

Defense lawyer says suspect indicted in 1979 kidnapping, death of 6-year-old NYC boy Etan Patz
November 14, 2012 - 1:05 pm EST

NEW YORK — The suspect in the infamous 1979 disappearance of a 6-year-old boy from his New York City neighborhood has been indicted on charges of murder and kidnapping, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Pedro Hernandez, 51, of Maple Shade, N.J., was indicted by a New York City grand jury in the death of Etan Patz, attorney Harvey Fishbein said. Hernandez was arrested earlier this year, and investigators say he confessed.

The district attorney's office would not comment.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/a7a38c6992a24676a4838fba2aec99d0/US-Missing-NYC-Boy

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/accused-etan-patz-killer-plead-guilty-lawyer-article-1.1202525?localLinksEnabled=false&google_editors_picks=true
Pedro Hernandez, charged with 1979 kidnapping and killing of Etan Patz, recants confession
Hernandez is a schizophrenic prone to hallucinations, but Manhattan District Attorney's office says evidence former stockboy is guilty ''is credible'
November 15, 2012

The former SoHo bodega worker who cops say confessed last year to kidnapping and killing little Etan Patz back in 1979 has recanted his confession.

Pedro Hernandez will plead not guilty to murdering the 6-year-old Manhattan boy — who became an international symbol of missing children — at his next court appearance, his lawyer Harvey Fishbein said Thursday.

Hernandez, 51, made "a false confession" to police, Fishbein said. "The statements made by my client are not reliable," he added.

Furthermore, the prosecution's case rests solely on the admission of a schizophrenic prone to hallucinations, Fishbein said.

"The really sad part of this case is that it will take time, it will take money ... and it will not tell the city what happened to Etan Patz," he said.

Prosecutors said they believe Hernandez's confession is solid.

"We believe the evidence that Mr. Hernandez killed Etan Patz to be credible and persuasive, and that his statements are not the product of any mental illness," said Erin Duggan, spokeswoman for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr.

Hernandez, who now lives in South Jersey, did not say a thing at a brief hearing Thursday.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ex-patz-suspect-convicted-pedophile-planned-runaway-florida-article-1.1202693
Jose Ramos, long prime suspect in Etan Patz disappearance, plotted whirlwind trip to New York, Florida and Brazil after release: Prosecutor
Letters show Janet Hicks, Ramos' pen pal, used made-up 'grandson' to lure him

November 15, 2012

Convicted pedophile Jose Ramos — long the prime suspect in the disappearance in Etan Patz — plotted to run away to Florida with a female pen pal after he was sprung from a Pennsylvania prison, the Daily News has learned. But first, the unlikely couple planned a pit stop in Manhattan, just a few miles from where the boy disappeared in 1979.

In letters intercepted by state police, the duo discussed holing up in the Mayflower Hotel in the Upper West Side, or Carlton Arms Hotel in Kips Bay, following Ramos' expected release from prison last week after serving a 27-year sentence for molesting two boys.

Ramos and Janet Hicks of Reno, Nev. then were going to make way down to Florida in a school bus, then perhaps Brazil, according to the letters, said Luzerne County district attorney Alexis Falvello.

Hicks pitched bringing along her grandson, Falvello said.

But there was a big problem: "There was no grandson," Falvello said. "She was using that to bait him" into a relationship.

Investigators intercepted letters between Hicks and Ramos beginning early last month, after they grew suspicious the 69-year-old pervert had no intention of living in a Bronx apartment he listed as his expected residence upon release. Turns out, the apartment belonged to a cousin who hasn't lived there in 30 years and wanted nothing to do with the pedophile.

Instead of being released from the clink, Ramos was promptly re-arrested on the felony Megan’s Law violation, and now faces an additional 10 years behind bars.
Ramos was long considered a prime suspect in the 1979 disappearance of Etan, whose parents still live at the same Prince Street address in SoHo. On Wednesday, Pedro Hernandez was indicted on the murder and kidnapping of the 6-year-old boy. But the Manhattan DA's case against Hernandez -- who has a long history of mental illness -- has been criticized because it hinges largely on videotaped confessions.

“Nothing has changed my mind that Jose Ramos is responsible for the abduction and murder of Etan Patz,” said Brian O’Dwyer, who represented the Patz family in a 2004 civil case.

“None of the evidence I have seen so far changes my belief that the New York Supreme Court got it right in the case against Ramos."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57558913/etan-patz-suspect-he-was-alive-when-i-left-him/
Etan Patz suspect: He was alive when I left him
December 13, 2012

NEW YORK Pedro Hernandez told New York City Detectives that, when he left Etan Patz's body in a doorway, he believed the little boy was still alive.

The 1979 disappearance of the six year old became the most symbolic kidnapping case since the murder of the Lindberg baby, stirring the movement that put missing children on milk cartons and billboards.

The stunning revelation and other new details come in documents filed with the court just after Hernandez entered a not guilty plea to the very crimes he confessed to last May in a marathon session with police. In that session, he detailed the killing of the boy, during questioning and again on video.
The new details of Hernandez's statements to police and prosecutors give some indications of questions that may be raised at trial. Questions such as, when police searched the basements in the blocks around the boy's home, why was the book bag behind the freezer not discovered? Why did no witness remember seeing a man carrying a box big enough to contain the body of a 50 pound boy? And why, in the massive dragnet on the streets of the Manhattan neighborhood of SoHo that began the night of Patz's disappearance was the box with his body not found?
For each question, there are possible explanations. Police might not have looked behind the freezer. A stock boy carrying a large box might not have struck passersby as unusual. The private carting company that served the streets where Hernandez says he left the box may have picked it up before the boy was reported missing.

In a motion to dismiss the indictment against Hernandez, his lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, argues that Hernandez's confession alone is unreliable because of his long psychiatric history. The document also states, "In the six months since Hernandez's arrest, the NYPD (New York Police Department) and the New York County District Attorney's Office have conducted an intensive investigation attempting to corroborate Mr. Hernandez's statements. However, I am told by the District Attorney's Office they have found nothing."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/15/etan-patz/2163213/
Judge: Man accused of killing Etan Patz can face trial
May 15, 2013

NEW YORK (AP) — A man charged with murder decades after one of the nation's most infamous child disappearances can be brought to trial, a judge ruled Wednesday, turning down the man's claim that the case was too thin to proceed.

In a case that hinges on a disputed confession, the judge said there was enough evidence to sustain the charges against Pedro Hernandez of Maple Shade, N.J. He is accused of killing 6-year-old Etan Patz, last seen walking to his Manhattan school bus stop in 1979.

The ruling propels the case toward a trial that would likely revolve around whether Hernandez' confession amounts to a mentally ill man's imaginings, as his defense claims.

Hernandez, 52, was arrested last May after police got a tip that he'd told people years before that he had killed a child in New York City.

Hernandez then told authorities he'd seen Etan at the bus stop, offered the boy a soda to entice him to a corner store where Hernandez worked and choked the boy in the basement. Hernandez said he tossed Etan's book bag behind a basement freezer, put his limp body in a box and left it with some trash about a block away.

Hernandez is due back in court July 31.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »

When read in full, this article covers a lot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/nyregion/in-taped-confession-in-etan-patz-case-something-just-took-over-me.html?google_editors_picks=true
In Taped Confession in Etan Patz Case: ‘Something Just Took Over Me’
September 15, 2014

The confession came in a soft, unwavering tone. He recalled when he first spotted the boy, standing on the sidewalk outside a bodega where he worked at West Broadway and Prince Street in SoHo.

The man told investigators that he enticed the boy with an offer of a soda, and then opened up a gate in the sidewalk and led the boy, Etan Patz, down into a cellar.

“When he went in front of me I grabbed him by the neck and I started to choke him,” the man, Pedro Hernandez, told the investigators. “I wanted to let go but I just couldn’t.”

It was 2 a.m. on May 24, 2012, nearly 33 years to the day that Etan, who was 6 at the time, vanished on his way to school. His disappearance and presumed murder haunted New York City for decades, and forever changed perceptions across the country about how closely children should be watched.

The hearing before Justice Maxwell Wiley is being held to determine if Mr. Hernandez’s confessions should be thrown out before the case goes to trial. The matter is crucial to the prosecution, since there is no known physical evidence linking Mr. Hernandez to the crime.

Mr. Hernandez’s lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, told the court his client, who has a low I.Q. and a history of mental illness, gave a false confession to investigators in New York.

He said Mr. Hernandez was so suggestible because of his intellectual disability and mental problems that he became convinced — especially following an initial interrogation in Camden, N.J., that lasted nearly eight hours — that he had killed Etan.

“There is no question that when the detectives were finished with my client in the morning of May 23, my client believed what he was saying to the police was true,” Mr. Fishbein said. “The issue is, was it reliable?”

Justice Wiley must decide if Mr. Hernandez understood his right to remain silent and was intelligent enough to waive it. He must also rule on whether the confessions — Mr. Hernandez made at least three videotaped statements — were voluntary or coerced by the police.

Mr. Hernandez’s lawyer has argued his client’s statements to the police were false.

But the office of Cyrus R. Vance Jr., the Manhattan district attorney, has concluded the confessions are credible and not the results of delusions or police coercion.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/15/us-usa-crime-patz-idUSKBN0HA20C20140915
New York court watches taped confession by accused killer of Etan Patz
September 15, 2014

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/19/video-shows-detectives-comforted-suspect-while-confessing-to-1979-case-of-missing-etan-patz/
Video Shows Detectives Comforted Suspect While Confessing To 1979 Case Of Missing Etan Patz
September 19, 2014

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – The man suspected of killing a 6-year-old boy in one of New York City’s most notorious missing children’s cases burst into tears during a videotaped confession as detectives hugged and comforted him.
The video played Thursday in Manhattan state Supreme Court was the first taped confession by Pedro Hernandez. He was arrested in May 2012 for the killing of Etan Patz who disappeared May 25, 1979. But it’s the second tape viewed by Judge Maxwell Wiley, who must decide whether the confessions will be used as evidence in Hernandez’ upcoming murder trial, not whether the admissions are true.
More...

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2015, 01:25:46 AM »

long article with past and current details

http://nydn.us/1BuSyhE

Mystery lingers as Pedro Hernandez — who confessed to the 1979 slaying of Etan Patz, 6, but later recanted — heads to trial
BY SHAYNA JACOBS , DAREH GREGORIAN  NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, January 3, 2015, 11:56 PM

It sounds like a simple case.

Pedro Hernandez confessed in excruciating detail about attacking a golden-haired 6-year-old boy, telling detectives matter-of-factly that he’d lured him into a bodega basement, “grabbed him by the neck and started to choke him.”

“It was like something took over me and, I don’t know, something just took over me and I choked him,” Hernandez, 53, said in the chilling admission.

“It was just something that happened.”

Hernandez’s lawyer says his client is mentally ill, and with an IQ under 70, was easily coerced into making the confession during hours-long interviews with cops and prosecutors.

Hernandez has since recanted, saying he didn’t kill the boy. His attorney, Harvey Fishbein, also noted there’s no known physical evidence linking Hernandez to the crime. Etan’s body has never been found.

“Mr. Hernandez appears to be the only witness against himself, and he is an unreliable witness,” Fishbein told the Daily News.
more
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/suspect-1975-etan-patz-case-murder-article-1.2065087

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/nyregion/etan-patzs-mother-speaks-in-court-of-the-day-her-son-disappeared.html
Etan Patz’s Mother Speaks in Court of the Day He Disappeared
February 2, 2015

The Case of Etan Patz
The disappearance of Etan Patz, a 6-year-old boy, gripped New York City in 1979 and the years that followed. Below is a timeline of events in the case. JAN. 29, 2015 (link to timeline: )
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/01/30/nyregion/etan-patz-timeline.html

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »

BBM  ?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/daughter-testifies-murder-trial-1979-missing-boy-case-29500181
Daughter Testifies at Murder Trial in 1979 Missing Boy Case
March 9, 2015

The 25-year-old daughter of a man on trial for murder in the 1979 disappearance of Etan Patz (AY'-tahn payts) is testifying on his behalf.

Becky Hernandez says the stress of her father's arrest prevented her from getting a master's degree.

Monday is the first time the woman has spoken publicly about the charges against her father.

She testified her father was very strict. She wasn't allowed out with friends, and he held her hand crossing the street until she was 14.

Pedro Hernandez confessed in 2012 to choking 6-year-old Etan in the basement of a convenience store where he worked.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2015, 03:49:50 AM »

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/03/19/news/nation/man-accused-of-etan-patzs-1979-murder-may-have-given-false-confession/?ref=polbeat

NEW YORK — An expert on false confessions testified Thursday that a former grocery store worker accused of killing a missing New York City boy in 1979 could be at risk of falsely admitting to a crime due to mental illness and low intellectual abilities.

Pedro Hernandez, 54, on trial for the kidnapping and murder of 6-year-old Etan Patz, confessed to police in 2012 that he choked the boy, stuffed him in a garbage bag and box and left him in a New York alley.

Defense attorneys say Hernandez concocted a false confession under police coercion and that he suffers from mental illness and hallucinations. He could face life in prison if convicted.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »

Jury weighs fate of accused killer of Etan Patz, original 'milk carton' missing child

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/17/us/etan-patz-court-verdict-pedro-hernandez/

On Friday, more than 35 years after frenzied media coverage of his case horrified parents everywhere, a New York jury will again deliberate over a possible verdict against the man charged in his killing, Pedro Hernandez. He confessed to police three years ago.

Etan Patz's parents have waited that long for justice, but some have questioned whether that is at all possible in Hernandez's case. His lawyer has said that he is mentally challenged, severely mentally ill and unable to discern whether he committed the crime or not.

But Hernandez has been repeatedly diagnosed with schizophrenia and has an "IQ in the borderline-to-mild mental retardation range," his attorney Harvey Fishbein has said.

Police interrogated Hernandez for 7½ hours before he confessed.

"I think anyone who sees these confessions will understand that when the police were finished, Mr. Hernandez believed he had killed Etan Patz. But that doesn't mean he actually did, and that's the whole point of this case," Fishbein has said.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »

Jury in Case of Missing Boy Etan Patz Asks to View Evidence

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/jury-case-missing-boy-etan-patz-asks-view-30392729

Jurors deliberating in the New York City murder trial of a man accused of kidnapping and killing 6-year-old Etan Patz (AY'-tahn payts) in 1979 have asked to review a confession and other evidence.

Pedro Hernandez says he choked Etan in a convenience store basement after luring him there with the promise of a soda. He was a teenage stock clerk when the boy disappeared May 25, 1979.

On Friday, jurors asked to see a missing-person's poster shown to Hernandez at the police station before he confessed. They have also requested the videotaped confession and some witness statements.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:48 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/05/new-york-jury-unable-to-reach-verdict-in-etan-patz-murder-case/
New York jury unable to reach verdict in Etan Patz murder case
May 5, 2015

DEVELOPING: The New York jury in the Etan Patz murder trial said Tuesday that it is unable to reach a verdict on the 15th day of deliberations, Reuters reported.

The judge told jury members to try one more time to reach a verdict, the report said. Pedro Hernandez, 54, who is on trial, made a confession in 2012. His lawyers say it's false, and they've pointed to another suspect who wasn't charged. But prosecutors say the admissions are sound.

In the 10 weeks of testimony, jurors heard from prayer group members who said he confessed to killing a boy in New York. Hernandez's former neighbor and ex-wife also said he confessed.

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2015, 03:12:16 PM »

Mistrial Is Declared in Etan Patz Case
By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.MAY 8, 2015
A judge declared a mistrial in the Etan Patz murder trial on Friday after jurors said for a third time that they could not reach a verdict despite three weeks of deliberation, leaving unresolved a missing child case that has vexed the city for decades.

The jury of seven men and five women said they were firmly deadlocked in deciding the fate of Pedro Hernandez, 54, a disabled factory worker from New Jersey. The trial turned on a confession Mr. Hernandez gave 33 years after Etan Patz, who was 6, vanished while walking to a school bus stop in SoHo, an admission that the prosecution argued proved his guilt and that the defense called a fiction invented under police pressure.

more
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/nyregion/etan-patz-jury-murder-trial.html?module=Notification&version=BreakingNews&region=FixedTop&action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=34100393&pgtype=article

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.