March 29, 2024, 06:37:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FDA takes action against Cheerios. Are school breakfast programs next?  (Read 1793 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 16, 2009, 06:49:31 AM »

They are an American icon, instantly recognizable, and often the very first "finger" food fed to little babies. But here's the thing: Cheerios are not a drug.

The Food and Drug Administration issued General Mills Inc. a warning over the Cheerios claim that the ubiquitous cereal is "clinically proven to help lower cholesterol." The FDA protests that the claim makes the cereal seem like a drug to consumers, which violates federal law. This follows on the heels of the Federal Trade Commission filing a complaint against Kellogg Co. for saying Frosted Mini Wheats clinically improve children's attention spans by almost 20 percent.

I would never link Cheerios to drugs. 

read more here -
http://**/news/2009/may/14/a-big-bowl-of-drugs/

I think there is also an argument somewhere that takes taxpayer money to pay for breakfast in schools for disadvantaged low-income children.  Someone, a long time ago decided that hungry children didn't learn well, so we should feed them to increase their attention span. 

Will this FTC action against Frosted Mini Wheats result in the school breakfast program being eliminated?  Maybe that's the goal, save taxpayers some money?  Make the low income people spend their own money or food stamps on breakfast for their children?  How do you make them buy and serve the food to their kids on such short notice?

These are crazy times we live in.  In the olden days, parents might work 50 hours a week and still managed to feed and care for their children.  Today, they don't have to work, they get lots of money, and can't be bothered to feed their children.

What are they doing with their time and taxpayer money?

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:55:34 AM »

Teachers in some schools don't start the day with teaching.  They feed breakfast to students, and then they clean up after students.  Where are the parent aids to help out?  Do all the parents work?  Maybe they could chip in and hire an aid to help feed the children before class starts?

Is it any wonder that children don't learn?  How much of their day is spent eating, and engaged in other non-learning activities?  How much is devoted to the 3R's?  Reading, 'riting, and 'rithmatic? 

Would you retain good teachers if they could teach?  Didn't have to start the day feeding children?  Why aren't parents feeding their children before school?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:06:52 AM »

Say t'ain't so, the government is going after our O's

..."The power of oats is in the O's," the box proclaimed.

"Everytime you pour a bowl of Cheerios cereal, you're putting the power of oats to work for you. In fact, Cheerios is made with 100% natural oats, and no other grain is better than oats for lowering cholesterol."

Oats, my grandfather told me years ago, are good for you. "They give you a good scrubbin'," he said. That means they help clean the crap out of your intestines.

The old folks didn't talk in terms of soluble fiber and cholesterol, but they knew regularity and a daily scrubbin' were keys to good health.

To the best of my knowledge, General Mills never had an ad campaign with "Eat Cheerios, they'll move you!"

But the Cheerios box plainly states, "Think of oats as sponges that help soak up some cholesterol and naturally remove it from your body.

"And as part of a healthy diet, the results could mean a drop in cholesterol."

Still so far, so good. The box isn't touting Cheerios as the end-all solution to clogged arteries, but part of a diet.

The FDA is not convinced. The bureaucrats say it sounds like Cheerios is depicting itself as a drug.

Does the box of Cheerios list side effects like drugs?  When you get drugs, they come with a small piece of paper and really fine print listing of bad things that can happen to you.

Any warning like that on the Cheerio box?  Maybe that's the wave of the future? 

Is this a government effort to level the playing field between prescription drugs (and their profit making big corporations) and the farmer that grows natural oats?   The cereal maker?  

Maybe we'll just send food production offshore?  International agreements will prevent the government from insisting on warning labels on foreign food?

read more here - (this is a nice article)  an angelic monkey
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/content/2009/may/16/say-taint-so-government-going-after-our-os/news-opinion/

Sounds like another 'no jobs for you America' combined with a dash of 'no food security for you America' program from the new administration. 

'Soylent Green' must be better if it's made by the folks that brought you life enhancing drugs like lawyers advertise on TV.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.