April 19, 2024, 10:27:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New auto standards? False hope? Favoritism?  (Read 1608 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 19, 2009, 06:27:30 PM »

New auto standards: the start of Obama’s green revolution

The new regulations on fuel economy and tailpipe emissions announced Tuesday are 'part of a far larger effort,' he said.

President Obama’s announcement on tailpipe emissions Tuesday reaffirmed a commitment that goes beyond regulation of the auto industry. The move is part of a broader White House strategy to confront the risk of global warming while making green-collar jobs a centerpiece of the economy.

How much is the 'risk' going to cost us?  How much of the cost will line the pockets of large global corporation, super rich individual speculators, and foreign nations?

I haven't seen any analysis that suggests that Americans will benefit from the jobs.  Were the regulations written to be inclusive?  Including just a few technologies and excluding American workers? 

As an example, it is an easy thing to bid on a project and win, if you help write the RFP and it favors your product or services.  If your competition doesn't offer your products, how can they bid?  The short list of inclusion, the long list of those that cannot compete.

But Obama contends that the best way out of an economic funk is to look forward to the technologies that might potentially drive the economy in years ahead.

It all seems to be about potential...what about the existing research?  Smaller car companies?  Other technologies?

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/05/19/new-auto-standards-the-start-of-obamas-green-revolution/

What are the new regulations really going to accomplish?  Are they going to clean the air in my state?

I keep remembering articles that suggest that air pollution comes from around the globe - much is produced in the booming developing countries like China and India.  All that pollution finds it's way to Main Street USA - we didn't create it, not much we can do to stop it.

False hope for cleaner air?  Tax imports from places that pollute to pay for healthcare on Main Street?

There is no such thing as 'pi$$ing' in just one corner of a swimming pool.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:34:27 PM »

The Chinese market will be the biggest car market in the world within a couple of decades, and since the level of air pollution is already on par with that of my friend’s tar-lined lungs, the impact of this growth on China’s environment is quite substantial.

That is why regulating emissions using standards such as g/km seems just so myopic. Just because running the Volt, Prius, Clarity, MIEV or whatever locally implies emitting across the earth somewhere does not automatically make it cleaner, only more politically palatable.

Sure you could be one of those types who says “who cares if it emits somewhere else”, but then let’s also not get too self-righteous about driving them as embodiments for cleanliness. Shipping pollution out of town may make you feel better but it does not make the earth any cleaner.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/30969/careful-what-you-regulate-my-car-may-emit-here-but-yours-emits-everywhere/

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.