April 16, 2024, 05:14:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Puppy and Dog Information  (Read 4645 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« on: November 07, 2006, 11:06:15 PM »

This is for HubbyLove but of course anyone is welcome to use it.  Hope these links will work and I do not blow the margins.

Some useful links:

A Campaign for Real Milk
AddisonDogs.com
American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture
American Boarding Kennels Association
American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
American Humane Association
American Kennel Club
American Veterinary Chiropractic Association
American Veterinary Medical Association
Angel's Gate Hospice & Rehabilitation Center for Companion Animals
Animal Essentials
Animal Fitness Center
Animals Healing, Inc.
Antech Diagnostics
Anxiety Wrap
Ark Naturals
Artemis Pet Food Company
AskVetAdvice.com
Association of Pet Dog Trainers
ASPCA
AVCADoctors.com
Bite Not Products
Blue Buffalo Company
BonaFido Company
Breeder's Choice
Busy Buddy
By Vets Only, Inc
Cache Creek Veterinary Services
Canadian Kennel Club
Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
Canine Campus Pet Resort
Canine Partners for Independence
Cardinal Labratories
Care-A-Lot Pet Supply Warehouse
Click & Treat Products
Cold River Veterinary Center
Costal Pet Products
Creative Pet Products
Deaf Dog Education Action Fund
Deafness in Dogs & Cats
Delta Society
Desert Haze Swim Therapy for Canines
Designing Health
Direct Pet Supply
Dr. Ian Billinghurst
Doggone Good
Dog Scouts of America
Dog Tags Direct
DogWise
Drs. Foster & Smith
Everything Pawsible, Inc
FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine
Flying Dog Press
4Life
Friends of Rescued Mastiffs - Rescue & Placement Service
Genesis, Ltd
Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind
Halo Pets
Harbingers Of A New Age
Health Calls
Herbsmith, Inc
Hmedicine.com
Holistic Petcare
Holistic.Petplace.com
Homeopathy for Animals
Humane Society of the United States
Idexx Laboratories
iHerb.com
International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists
J-B Wholesale Pet Supplies, Inc
J and J Dog Supplies
Jeffers Pet Supply
Knine Country
K9 Top Coat
The Kyjen Company
Kymythy Shultze's Ultimate Diet
LabWell Products
Lots of Luv 'N Pet Care LLC
Luitpold Pharmaceuticals
Lyme Disease Foundation, Inc
Mar Vista Animal Medical Center
Merrick Pet Care
Merritt Naturals Animal Essentials
Mister Greengenes Nutrition Store
MyPetPrescriptions.com
National Animal Poison Control Center
Natural Life Pet Products
NaturalPetz
NaturalRawhide.com
Nature's Recipe
Nature's Variety
Newman's Own Organics
Next Level Animal Chiropractic
NutraStar
Omaha Vaccine Company
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
Peaceable Paws
Pet Assure
PetCare Pet Insurance
Pet Care Naturally
PetEdge
Petfinder
PetGuard
Pet Health Pharmacy
PetPharm
Petshealth Care Plan
Pet On Wheels
Pets 911
Pet Saver Health Plan
Pet Sitters International
The Pet Whisperer
Planet Natural
Platinum Performance
Premier Pet Products
Puppy Playground
Purple Pebble, LLC
Raw Meaty Bones
Ruff Rider Products
Ruff Wear
Ryan's Pet Supply
San Francisco SPCA
San Francisco SPCA Academy for Dog Trainers
1-800-Save-A-Pet.com
Smiling Dog Enterprises
Softouch Concepts
Sojourner Farms
Spay USA
Standard Process, Inc
Symbiotics, Inc
Tallgrass Animal Acupressure
Tellington TTouch
That Pet Place
The Learning Center For Dogs
The Vet at the Barn
Veterinary Pet Insurance
Vita-Tech Laboratories
United Kennel Club
ValleyVet.com
Veterinary Advice Line
Vetinfo
Volhard.com- useful topics ranging from dog training to diets.
Woolf Products, LLC
Wysong
Your Natural Pet

www.whole-dog-journal.com
For questions about your order or subscription,
please email us at: Whole Dog Journal Customer Service
Or call us at: 800/424-7887
Copyright Belvoir Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:08:12 PM »

Well, the links do not work and will not copy but you can copy the site into your browser address and go to it that way.

Also, it's hard to know where to begin on a new puppy so maybe it would be easier if you just ask questions and I will answer.  It is not going to be as hard as you might think as they will entertain each other and be good pups for you.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:21:18 PM »

HUBBYLOVE,
They look great! Nice shiny coats usually means pretty good general health, too. This evening I will post in the Monkey Lounge some things to keep in mind with new puppiese and a list of sources on the internet for great information.

http://www.petstyle.com/index.aspx

That's my fav. Go to health and nutrition and see all kinds of good information. Optimal Health Nutrition is listed in the drop down menu and I love that article on feeding. I do feed mine some raw meat about three times a week but not every meal as it is hard to do for me. Give Omega Fatty Acids to every dog on the planet with products such as Linatone or Mrs Smith's coat formula and they will have much better general health. Fish oil capsules are an alternative to that as well.

New pups, give some probiotics every three weeks such as BeneBac for good digestion.

By doing those two supplements, my dogs are just never sick much at all. The rest you can find on that one website but there are many other good ones. Whole Dog Journal is the publication I read and save and is the best. www.wholedogjournal.com I think will take you to it.

Take out every two hours to housetrain.

And basically, that's it. All you add is love and those babies are old enough to sleep through most of the night once they settle in.

DKpen is right that most companion dogs do much better if there are two to keep each other company when you are away and to have playmate. Some enjoy being an only child and getting all the attention but for most, the added company is better.

Hope this helps and doesn't upset anybody that I posted this much on this forum. We will take it to the lounge after this.

PERSONA NON GRATA

hubbylove
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 07:10:59 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"
HUBBYLOVE,
They look great! Nice shiny coats usually means pretty good general health, too. This evening I will post in the Monkey Lounge some things to keep in mind with new puppiese and a list of sources on the internet for great information.

http://www.petstyle.com/index.aspx

That's my fav. Go to health and nutrition and see all kinds of good information. Optimal Health Nutrition is listed in the drop down menu and I love that article on feeding. I do feed mine some raw meat about three times a week but not every meal as it is hard to do for me. Give Omega Fatty Acids to every dog on the planet with products such as Linatone or Mrs Smith's coat formula and they will have much better general health. Fish oil capsules are an alternative to that as well.

New pups, give some probiotics every three weeks such as BeneBac for good digestion.

By doing those two supplements, my dogs are just never sick much at all. The rest you can find on that one website but there are many other good ones. Whole Dog Journal is the publication I read and save and is the best. www.wholedogjournal.com I think will take you to it.

Take out every two hours to housetrain.

And basically, that's it. All you add is love and those babies are old enough to sleep through most of the night once they settle in.

DKpen is right that most companion dogs do much better if there are two to keep each other company when you are away and to have playmate. Some enjoy being an only child and getting all the attention but for most, the added company is better.

Hope this helps and doesn't upset anybody that I posted this much on this forum. We will take it to the lounge after this.

Hi Anna
I just started a separate thread with some new pics of them from this morning.  Thank you SO much for all of your helpful information.  As soon as we got them I told my husband I was going to have to ask Anna if she had any advice.  He was like... Who's Anna?  I explained about my Monkey friends and he told me I have too much time on my hands at work  Shocked - Better not tell my boss!
Anyway, I really appreciate the time you took to get all of this info to me.
They are doing well except one of them, I think Ace, pooped in the crate last night and again today.  I never leave them for more than 2.5 hours or so but he just doesn't like to go when given the chance outside.  I might try removing the bedding from the crate, do  you think that might help?  We already have the crate with a divider so they just have enough room to lay down, stand up and turn around.  I feel like I am failing but its only been 3 days and I think I am just sleep deprived!

Anyway, check out my cute babies in this thread and let me know if you have any more advice; and Thanks again..

http://www.scaredmonkeys.net/viewtopic.php?t=523

Check out my SUPER cute puppies!  Go here: http://www.scaredmonkeys.net/viewtopic.php?p=71518#71518

What kind of day is today going to be?  Today is going to be a wonderful day...   Thanks for that lesson Dad!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 08:26:33 PM »

HubbyLove,
Didn't you say they were only ten weeks old?  That means they can only hold bladder activity for two hours and don't have much bowel control at all yet.  I just don't do crate training as most companion dogs can be trained so easily without it, just take outside every two hours.

Rule of thumb is that they can hold it the number of hours they are old.  These are 2.5 months old means 2.5 hours max they should be asked to hold it.

I am surprised they have onl had a couple of accidents.  I use the puppy pads inside and just have doggie door for mine to go outside when they need to.

Dogs have a very short digestive tract compared to humans and will usually have bowel movement within an hour of eating for last food they comsumed before this meal.  Just allow more time for after Ace eats to go and take him outside and he probably will.

They are just too young and unlike some breeds like hunting dogs, the smaller the dog the slower the maturity.  12-15# is very small.  The good side of this is they have a longer life span which matches accordingly.  Small breeds like this just do not mature at the same rate as Lab or Doberman.  These two are just babies yet and will be for at least a year.  Yorkies are usually pretty puppyish for about 3-4 years before they are truly all grown up and during that whole time, they continue to learn and become smarter.

But I would have to say with only two accidents even Ace is doing a tremendous job for pups so young.  I'd give them both a slice of cheese and a big hug if it were me.   Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy They will get the hang of housetraining soon as they physically can.  Cute as bugs, they are.  Would like to squeeze them.  You are lucky to find dogs to rescue in such good shape as they appear to me to be.

PERSONA NON GRATA

hubbylove
Scared Monkey

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:53:12 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"
HubbyLove,
Didn't you say they were only ten weeks old?  That means they can only hold bladder activity for two hours and don't have much bowel control at all yet.  I just don't do crate training as most companion dogs can be trained so easily without it, just take outside every two hours.

Rule of thumb is that they can hold it the number of hours they are old.  These are 2.5 months old means 2.5 hours max they should be asked to hold it.

I am surprised they have onl had a couple of accidents.  I use the puppy pads inside and just have doggie door for mine to go outside when they need to.

Dogs have a very short digestive tract compared to humans and will usually have bowel movement within an hour of eating for last food they comsumed before this meal.  Just allow more time for after Ace eats to go and take him outside and he probably will.

They are just too young and unlike some breeds like hunting dogs, the smaller the dog the slower the maturity.  12-15# is very small.  The good side of this is they have a longer life span which matches accordingly.  Small breeds like this just do not mature at the same rate as Lab or Doberman.  These two are just babies yet and will be for at least a year.  Yorkies are usually pretty puppyish for about 3-4 years before they are truly all grown up and during that whole time, they continue to learn and become smarter.

But I would have to say with only two accidents even Ace is doing a tremendous job for pups so young.  I'd give them both a slice of cheese and a big hug if it were me.   Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy They will get the hang of housetraining soon as they physically can.  Cute as bugs, they are.  Would like to squeeze them.  You are lucky to find dogs to rescue in such good shape as they appear to me to be.

Thanks for all the help Anna.
They are just babies and they are really doing better everyday.  No accidents at night and now we are starting to figure out the signs when they need to go.  She does circles and he runs away and hides so we are trying to do better at watching for the signals.  We finally found some treats that they like so we are using those as rewards when they potty outside.
They are bringing so much joy to our lives already and I do feel that we were really lucky to find them in such good shape.  They were only at the rescue about 24 hours before we came along so we feel really fortunate.  
Thanks again for your help and I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on,
H.

Check out my SUPER cute puppies!  Go here: http://www.scaredmonkeys.net/viewtopic.php?p=71518#71518

What kind of day is today going to be?  Today is going to be a wonderful day...   Thanks for that lesson Dad!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.