April 19, 2024, 04:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gov. California Plans to Eliminate Welfare  (Read 3016 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« on: May 21, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »

Governor plans to completely eliminate welfare for families
3:58 PM | May 21, 2009
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is proposing to completely eliminate the state’s welfare program for families, medical insurance for low-income children and Cal Grants cash assistance to college and university students.

The proposals to sharply scale back the assistance that California provides to its neediest  residents came in testimony by the administration this afternoon at a joint legislative budget committee hearing. It followed comments by the governor earlier today that he would be withdrawing a proposal to help balance the budget with billions of dollars of borrowing and replacing it with program reductions.

The proposals would completely reshape the state’s social service network, transforming California from one of the country’s most generous states to one of the most tightfisted. The proposals are intended to help close a budget deficit estimated at $21.3 billion.

—Eric Baileyhttp://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/schwarzenegger-make-massive-cuts-to-welfare-health-care-student-aid-.html

Proposals....

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:38:52 AM »

California has to find it's own solutions.  Will ending welfare for everyone make things better?

Undocumented workers make up a significant portion of the nation's 46 million uninsured, and excluding them from coverage could force hospitals to continue to make up the cost of their care.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/health-care-reform/2009/05/by_lori_a_montgomery_health.html?hpid=news-col-blog

from the comments -

First, why not delete all of the undocumented workers, i.e. ILLEGALS, from the 46 million? It is disingenuous to include people in that figure who never should be entitled to coverage in the first place.

One way to cut down on the expense is to eliminate the provisions of the 14th amendment that encourages illegals to come to USA for the express purpose of giving birth. This part of the law no longer as any purpose.

Let me see I pay out of my check almost $300.00 every two weeks not counting what my employer contributes, to cover my family and myself. Now we have people on here calling me racist because I feel that if you are ILLEGAL, that you should not be entitled to the services of a LEGAL citizen of this country. It matters not whether you are brown, purple, or green, if you are in this country as an ILLEGAL then, IMHO you should not be getting free medical care, your children should not be entitled to a free education, nor should they be citizens because you came here to have them. If you are ILLEGAL you get "nada".

How much do illegal aliens and their families cost the welfare system?  Healthcare system?  Educational system?

Someone has to work in this country, someone has to pay taxes.  No system works when everyone is on the dole.  The only ones that seem to be making money are rich global corporation, rich international citizens, and foreign countries.

America was prosperous in the past because people had jobs.  Jobs that supported hospitals, schools, government, and families.  The jobs are gone.  Jobs are replaced by 'cheap' imported stuff and welfare.  No support for all the nice things in life.  Someone has to work and pay the bills.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:44:12 AM »

How can any state or the federal government address the budget problems without addressing the problem of illegal aliens? 

Should illegal aliens profit by giving birth in the country to a citizen baby?

Accidental?  Intentional?  Does it really matter?   Should the babies of illegal aliens get citizenship?  Welfare?  Should that be a reason to allow the parents and other family members to stay?

Something is wrong in America when the government doesn't control the borders.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:36 AM »

Cost Shifting

Even though illegal immigrants won't be able to get benefits under the legislation, they can still get health care at hospital emergency rooms and through federally funded community health centers.

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=48473

It sound like the government won't address the problem of illegal aliens, they'll just shift the cost from programs for citizens to funding for emergency rooms and community health centers.

Why not discourage illegal immigration?  Shut the door?

The U.S. is broke.  Barack said just the other other day that China may not want to give use anymore spending money, our debt is unsustainable.

Can the nation continue to pay for everyone on the globe?  For everyone in North and South America?

The camel's back broke a long time ago.  Did anyone in Washington hear?

California set a message.  It's a message that needs to be heard in Washington.  Let states decide when taxes are out of control.  "Taxation with representation".

How much more money will Washington be 'passing through' something to fund all these programs in California? 

Just say no to spending and burdening millions of future Americans.

jmho

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:04:53 AM »

How can there be any meaningful reform if the problem of illegal immigration continues unabated?

The safety net should be for the needy, not the greedy or opportunistic.

When is government going to start discouraging illegal immigration?  Reinforce the borders to prevent the flow of drugs, guns, terrorists, and people? 

"A child's gotta eat." - that was the rally cry a few years to crack down on deadbeat parents.  Parents that failed to support their children.

Where is the rally cry for tracking down the deadbeat illegal aliens?  

Sometimes, it seems like illegal aliens hit the jackpot in this country.  Everyone else has to suffer and pay for their good fortune.  When will fortune smile again on those that live here legally?

Illegal aliens seem to be above the law.  Do bad things happen to illegal aliens when they drive without a license?  Drive without insurance?  Use a phony identity?  False drivers license or Social Security number?  Get in car accidents?  Default on their mortgage and utility bills?

When will America be for those here legally?  When will American's get the opportunity to live the American dream?

How much better would the dream for all Americans be if we didn't pay Federal taxes?  Social Security or Medicare? 

jmho

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:54:22 PM »

I think we should issue a blanket amnesty for all illegals in California and make them citizens today.  Issue them all social security numbers so that they can pay taxes out of their wages immediately, like everyone else does.  These increased revenues can be earmarked to support those institutions that illegals use most: schools and health care.  If they are using our services they should pay.

Let them have driver's licenses like everybody else - they do drive, of course - and pay for them like everybody else.  My auto registration fee is going to double, yet these folks get to drive around without paying.  It costs money to renew my license each year, yet illegals get to drive around for free because of moral arguments about how they shouldn't receive the privilege of driving.  If they are driving, they should pay.

Our school district, which has made painful cuts to the bone in recent months, just sent out layoff notices to over 400 teachers.  There is likely to be another round of layoffs during the summer.  High school class sizes will balloon to almost 50, while course offerings will be greatly reduced.  Already, even before the failure of the propositions, teachers have been emailing parents begging for supplies such as paper, graph paper, white board markers, overhead transparencies and markers, pens and pencils.  They can no longer photocopy at school.  If they need to copy lessons or handouts it is with their own money.  Look at this list:  How can they demonstrate math or chem without whiteboard supplies or overheads?  And this is just one thing.  Huge funding gaps exist at every level of education from elementary schools through universities.  I could write for days about this. 

This situation is disgusting and obscene.  I am a native Californian and I pay income and property taxes, yet my children are paying for this situation.  I am not saying the entire problem is that of illegals, but it contributes.  A big part of the problem sits in Sacramento.

Illegal aliens play a huge role in the economy of California.  But they must pay their fair share as well.  The rest of us are staggering under the burden.

JMO
crazybabyborg
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:43:42 AM »

I'm not from California, but if I were, I'd be fighting mad that I was being buried in taxes when huge revenue from offshore drilling off the coast of my state should bring in enough to reduce my taxes. There was a proposal that would have accomplished just that:

H.R. 4761 was designed to overcome state opposition to offshore energy production. It would empower each coastal state government to decide whether or not to allow offshore oil and natural gas production. States that want to keep the federal restrictions in place would be free to do so, while those that wish to allow drilling could.  Only drilling in waters more than 100 miles from the coast would be outside state control.

As an inducement, states that allow drilling would receive a share of the leasing and royalty revenues. Currently, revenues from these offshore areas go to the federal government, in contrast to onshore energy production on federal lands where the federal/state split is 50-50. The bill would offer coastal states a substantial source of new revenues without having to raise taxes.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/EnergyandEnvironment/wm1135.cfm

The Proposal failed. Just wasn't politically correct enough for this wave of change, I guess.... 
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 08:00:56 PM »

2. Immigration:

-Pass a law to do away with the Anchor Baby issue. This would be an immigration law that states for a child born in US territory to be a US citizen the mother at the time of birth has to be a US citizen. Yes this would go to the Supreme Court but it should be upheld as a proper interpretation of the 14th Amendment. Ron Paul has introduced this legislation on several occasions only to be shot down by both Democrats and Republicans. Mr. Paul please introduce that legislation again. If anyone agrees contact Ron Paul's office and ask him to re-introduce it.

-Finish the border fence. Obama has not authorized any more of the border fence to be finished. All that will be completed is what was authorized under Bush. Until we finish the border fence any discussion of amnesty is off the table. Our national security is at risk.

-Pass and enforce E-Verify.

-Hire enough border patrols to man the borders.

-Establish an adequate immigration department to process the expected flow of work visas.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/behind-the-numbers/2009/05/pew_values_poll_independents_u.html?hpid=news-col-blog

I would include the biological father as passing citizenship too. 

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »

How does Mexico treat illegal aliens?

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=14632 " Mexico, which annually deports more illegal aliens than the United States does, has much to teach us about how it handles the immigration issue. Under Mexican law, it is a felony to be an illegal alien in Mexico."

That is the type of person that the US wants, people who want to be Americans. No one wants to take away heritage, tradition, etc., but it seems that more and more people arrive with the only notion being to live here. They do not seem to care about America or our traditions, unless it involves food, shelter, medical care. In fact, it seems our Puritan heritage causes us to go out of our way to accept them instead of the other way around.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/auntsandiegospeaks/2009/may/23/here-we-go-again/

Perhaps all illegal people should be treated based on the laws of their homelands? 

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.