March 28, 2024, 10:57:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nevaeh Amyah Buchanan 5 Michigan, Missing-Last seen 5/24/09 #1 (BODY FOUND)  (Read 628732 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1800 on: June 05, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »

Search for Nevaeh
timeline
Updated: Friday, 05 Jun 2009, 2:06 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 05 Jun 2009, 11:21 AM EDT

MONROE, Mich. - Below is the sequence of events in the 11-day search for Nevaeh Buchanan.

May 24 - Sunday: 5-year-old Nevaeh Amyah Buchanan of Monroe, Mich. was reported missing from the Charlotte Arms Apartments. She was last seen around 6:30 p.m. riding a scooter in the 1100 block of Macomb Street.

May 25 - Monday: Police search the Charlotte Arms Apartment complex.

May 26 - Tuesday: The FBI, Michigan State Police, and the Detroit Violent Crimes Task Force (which formed the Nevaeh Task Force) have been brought in to assist in the disappearance. Volunteers throughout Southeast Michigan and Northwest Ohio gather to assist in volunteer searches. Monroe police find a knife with human blood on it belonging to 39-year-old convicted sex-offender and boyfriend of Nevaeh's mother, George Kennedy. There was also a report of a possible Nevaeh sighting at a Columbus, Ohio, shopping district.

May 27 - Wednesday: Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield said over 140 investigators are on the case. Four Dive teams from Metro Detroit search two nearby quarries with no results. Police find blood-stained shorts and towels in a Motel 7 room occupied by George Kennedy. Roy Smith, also a convicted sex-offender and acquaintance of Nevaeh's mother, was named as a second person of interest.

May 28 - Thursday: Police have no indication that Nevaeh not still alive. Volunteers search an area off Elm Avenue. The Salvation Army of Monroe's Emergency Disaster Services team provides support to response teams and volunteers.

May 29 - Friday: The preliminary DNA results from the blood evidence found at George Kennedy's motel room do not match Nevaeh Buchanan's DNA. The task-force re-searches a wooded area on Macomb Street where Nevaeh was reportedly abducted.

May 30 - Saturday: Investigators search an area in eastern Monroe, Mich. James Easter of Monroe, Mich., is named as a third person of interest who was being held on unrelated charges.

June 1 - Monday: Investigators look for a green, box-shaped minivan that was seen parked at the Hollywood School playground near where Nevaeh was last seen. The playground at Hollywood School is right next to the Charlotte Arms apartments.

June 3 - Wednesday: Authorities offer a $20,000 reward for the recovery of Nevaeh. A community reward, started by a private investigator of the Buchanan family, rached $8,000.

June 4 - Thursday: FBI and Monroe County, Mich., law enforcement find a body near the River Raisin in Raisinville Township, northwest of Monroe. Two fishermen spot a block of poured cement and notice a bad aroma. Chipping away a piece of cement, they discover what appeared to be human skin. The men immediately called police.

June 5 - Friday: In a press conference, Monroe County Sheriff Crutchfield notes the discovered body is the same age, size and sex of Nevaeh. An autopsy is being conducted by the Wayne County medical examiner's office in Detroit.

http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/local/WUPW_news_local_search_for_missing_mich_girl_06052009

JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1801 on: June 05, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »

Family members haven't identified the body yet.  Would the family view the body after the autopsy? I would think, and I don't know, but one would think a member of the family has seen and identified the body.

I'm not sure where they got that from.  I know from whom I believe to be a very reliable source that the family identified Nevaeh last night.  In my experience, it is very unusual to have an indentification following an autopsy in a case like this.  I don't want to sound gruesome, but autopsies are very invasive.  My supposition is that the family identified her through photographic evidence.
IIRC it stated that the grandmother identified the CLOTHING that was found with the body, no mention of her actually viewing the body yet that I recall.

I respectfully disagree, Dolce.  See my post above from Monroe News.  The family identified her body because she was WEARING the same clothing she went missing in.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1802 on: June 05, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »

AUTOPSY TODAY
River combed for clues to killer

Updated at 12:01 p.m.
Now that the body of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan has likely been found, investigators are in the midst of painstakingly combing the banks of the River Raisin for clues, an FBI agent said this morning.

"Every inch of soil needs to be sifted," said Special Agent Andrew Arena. "It's tedious and, honestly, a little dangerous for our searchers along the steep riverbank."

Law-enforcement officials this morning confirmed that a body found Thursday by fishermen matches Nevaeh in height, gender and description. Family members haven't identified the body yet, said Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield, but it appears to be the girl who went missing May 24.

Two fishermen discovered the body under a layer of what appeared to be concrete that had been poured over a shallow grave, Arena said.

The girl had been buried there "for quite a while," Crutchfield said.

Arena said the concrete mix poured atop the body might have been mixed with river water. The grave was inches from the river, he said.

While FBI profilers are working to try to narrow down the type of individual likely responsible, Crutchfield said "that person, to our knowledge, is still out in the community."

"I'm of the opinion this is a sick and disturbed person we're looking for," he told reporters.

Officials wouldn't comment on the ongoing investigation except to say they've fielded more than 1,000 leads and they're following each of them.

The girl hadn't suffered obvious trauma, officials said. Wayne County's medical examiner will conduct the autopsy today.

Under contract to do all of Monroe County's autopsies, the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office received the body overnight, Chief Investigator Albert Samuels said just before noon. Removed from the concrete used to conceal it, the body still needs a formal identification, he said.

"We have to positively identify that’s who this is," he said. The autopsy should be done sometime this afternoon. "We’re doing dental work as well as the autopsy.”

"When a body is recovered like this, it's difficult for a layman" to tell the cause of death, Arena said. "There were no apparent blows to the head or anything like that."

The fishermen said they found the body about noon Thursday. Crutchfield said that a task force arrived about 3 p.m. and confirmed that the site indeed was a burial spot.

The area is cordoned off during the search by land, air and water, Crutchfield said. Divers will be searching the water and analyzing the soil.

Crutchfield said the discovery has been difficult for investigators.

"Most of the people involved have children or grandchildren of that age, so it's very personal for them," he said. "It's heartbreaking."

'She didn't deserve to die'
Nevaeh's uncle, Mike Buchanan of Newport, arrived at his sister's Monroe apartment complex at about 10 a.m. today, still grasping "that 1% chance it still might not be" Nevaeh's body. He said Nevaeh's mother, Jennifer Buchanan, who remains in seclusion, is understandably devastated.

"She can't believe her daughter had to go through this," he said.

Mike Buchanan said he wasn't sure if the family planned to travel to Detroit to see if the body there is Nevaeh.

"If it is, we do have some type of closure, even if it is for the worst," her uncle said. Grateful to the two fishermen who made the discovery, Mike Buchanan hurts for them, too. "I feel sorry for them," he said.

Mike Buchanan paused for composure, his face reddening, when asked about those responsible.

"I hope they get the most punishment possible -- no matter who it is."

Anger percolated from the Buchanans' cousin, Shaun Lawson, who asked those gathered if allegations his little cousin was found entombed in concrete was true.

"If she was, it would have to be one of the most sickest individuals across this nation," Lawson said. "She didn't deserve to die. She didn't deserve to be kidnapped. And you're still walking these streets. I hope you get what's coming to you -- and you will."

Hundreds of volunteers had searched daily for Nevaeh, marking off with black marker areas they'd covered on a tattered map.

Three men, each with sexual assault backgrounds, have been questioned. At least one has been eliminated as a person of interest; no one has been arrested in the disappearance and apparent death.

Come back to freep.com throughout the day for updates on this developing story.

Contact AMBER HUNT: 313-223-4526 or alhunt@freepress.com.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090605/NEWS05/90605028/River+combed+for+clues+to+killer
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #1803 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »

Family members haven't identified the body yet.  Would the family view the body after the autopsy? I would think, and I don't know, but one would think a member of the family has seen and identified the body.

I'm not sure where they got that from.  I know from whom I believe to be a very reliable source that the family identified Nevaeh last night.  In my experience, it is very unusual to have an indentification following an autopsy in a case like this.  I don't want to sound gruesome, but autopsies are very invasive.  My supposition is that the family identified her through photographic evidence.
IIRC it stated that the grandmother identified the CLOTHING that was found with the body, no mention of her actually viewing the body yet that I recall.

I respectfully disagree, Dolce.  See my post above from Monroe News.  The family identified her body because she was WEARING the same clothing she went missing in.
The term "wearing" has come from only 1 news source thus far.  Even in the presser the LE stated that an article of clothing FOUND WITH the body resembled that of the shirt that Nevaeh was last seen wearing.
Much of these news reports have been conflicting.  So who knows.

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1804 on: June 05, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »

AUTOPSY TODAY
River combed for clues to killer

--snip--

The girl had been buried there "for quite a while," Crutchfield said.  What does quite a while mean?  To me quite a while means months....not following.

--snip--

Removed from the concrete used to conceal it, the body still needs a formal identification, he said.
So according to this the family may not have seen the body itself to make identification.

"We have to positively identify that’s who this is," he said. The autopsy should be done sometime this afternoon. "We’re doing dental work as well as the autopsy.”

"When a body is recovered like this, it's difficult for a layman" to tell the cause of death, Arena said. "There were no apparent blows to the head or anything like that."

--snip--
http://www.freep.com/article/20090605/NEWS05/90605028/River+combed+for+clues+to+killer
My comments in red.

califmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1805 on: June 05, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »

bumping part of the article I posted a little while ago...

June 5, 2009

River combed for clues in Nevaeh case

'Reasonable suspicion' body found is missing 5-year-old

By AMBER HUNT AND TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Now that the body of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan has likely been found, investigators are in the midst of painstakingly combing the banks of the River Raisin for clues, an FBI agent said this morning.

"Every inch of soil needs to be sifted," said Special Agent Andrew Arena. "It's tedious and, honestly, a little dangerous for our searchers along the steep riverbank."

Law-enforcement officials this morning confirmed that a body found Thursday by fishermen matches Nevaeh in height, gender and description. Family members haven't identified the body yet, said Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield, but it appears to be the girl who went missing May 24.

---- snipped

♥ Justice for Caylee ♥
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1806 on: June 05, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:54:56 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1807 on: June 05, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »

Recovered
Jun 04, 2009
Nevaeh's Body Found Near River Raisin
Nearly 1,000 tips have poured into the Monroe County Sheriff's department with information on Nevaeh Buchanan since she went missing Memorial Day weekend.
Sadly, investigators say it only took one of those tips to find Neveah. On June 4, 2009, cops say two fisherman, a father and son, discovered Neveah's body on the banks of the River Raisin in Raisinville Township, Mich.

http://www.amw.com/missing_children/recovered.cfm?id=65755
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1808 on: June 05, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »

Phoen interview with Jennifer.  Sounds like from this morning. She states that she is not at apt. but is staying with friends.  Wonder if she is breaching her parole?

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/SHERIFF-Childs-Body-Likely-Nevaeh/fFEMT9cZFEeBAFg2_uC6-g.cspx
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1809 on: June 05, 2009, 02:44:19 PM »

Recovered
Jun 04, 2009
Nevaeh's Body Found Near River Raisin
Nearly 1,000 tips have poured into the Monroe County Sheriff's department with information on Nevaeh Buchanan since she went missing Memorial Day weekend.
Sadly, investigators say it only took one of those tips to find Neveah. On June 4, 2009, cops say two fisherman, a father and son, discovered Neveah's body on the banks of the River Raisin in Raisinville Township, Mich.

http://www.amw.com/missing_children/recovered.cfm?id=65755
Dealing with so many tips pouring it its no wonder that it took the LE as long as it did to dispatch someone to the scene where the fishermen where. 
Listening to the way that the LE is wording things to the press sounds as if they may have an idea or are zoning in on who they think are the suspects.  I am still very interested that LE refused to comment on if JB was still considered a POI.  A simple "no" would have been enough for me.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1810 on: June 05, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »

I find it exceptionally curious that Jennifer is saying she is not at the apt. with her mother, brother and extended family, but is staying with friends elsewhere.  Why would you not want to be where your family is unless you have something to hide from them?
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1811 on: June 05, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »

I find it exceptionally curious that Jennifer is saying she is not at the apt. with her mother, brother and extended family, but is staying with friends elsewhere.  Why would you not want to be where your family is unless you have something to hide from them?
Listening to what her brother has said I am wondering if he has not gotten a little "angry" at her.  I know when my 22 y/o bro did things I would not hold back in screaming my mind to him. 
I can imagine the fact that its HER FAULT for introducing SO's into her daughters life that it does not set well with the brother or any other family member for that matter.  Its quite possible that they asked her to leave. 
I do find it odd though...torn family everywhere.

califmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1812 on: June 05, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »

I couldn't agree more with you, NoRose!!  She is only adding to the suspicion that already surrounds her!! 

♥ Justice for Caylee ♥
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1813 on: June 05, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »

I made mention of this back towards the beginning of the Caylee case, when Lee mentions to LE that he sat in Casey's room with her to get information out of her.  I did not buy half the crap that Lee was selling.
My oldest little brother and I are very close in age, 2-3 years difference pending on the time of year it is, but I can look at him and know when he is not telling the truth, just as he can do it with me, way more so than my parents ever could. 
I suspect that JB's brother just might be able to do the same. 

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1814 on: June 05, 2009, 03:00:06 PM »

Thanks for the updates, maybe mom got kicked out of the apt by her mother? It would make no sense at a time like this to not be with your family.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1815 on: June 05, 2009, 03:03:28 PM »

Fisherman says he walked atop body encased in concrete before discovery
By MARK REITER
BLADE STAFF WRITER

MONROE — The man who called authorities after finding a body on the banks of the River Raisin said he and his father unknowingly walked atop a concrete block not knowing it contained a body.

Guy Bickley, 51, told The Blade Friday morning that the body — believed to be that of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchannan — was encased in some sort of concrete ready mix just feet from the river near Dixon Road in Raisinville Township.

Mr. Bickley said he and his 72-year-old father, who was visiting from out of state, went to the river to fish about 9:30 a.m. Thursday. They were sitting on the rocks and also walked over a piece of concrete, which Mr. Bickley said he occasionally kicked his foot at it.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090605/NEWS02/906059997/0/NEWS09
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1816 on: June 05, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »

Probably because it's not her choice.  Her family probably doesn't want to be anywhere near her.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1817 on: June 05, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »

Probably because it's not her choice.  Her family probably doesn't want to be anywhere near her.

With the brother's physical reaction today when he said they should bring back the death penalty, and the great aunt stating that whoever did this should never have a peaceful moment I am really wondering if they all know in their hearts that she is involved at some level.  At the very least that she thought it was OK to have her child associated with SO's and have them as her daddy figures makes me physically ill.
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1818 on: June 05, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »

The term "wearing" has come from only 1 news source thus far.  Even in the presser the LE stated that an article of clothing FOUND WITH the body resembled that of the shirt that Nevaeh was last seen wearing.
Much of these news reports have been conflicting.  So who knows.

I'm trying to confirm.  I'll let you know if I ever get it.

Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1819 on: June 05, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »

That and she doesnt know how or where to begin looking to find out who did this, listen to her flat affect considering the conversation.   I hear some level of guilt & all along a ton of deception.
Video to the right http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/SHERIFF-Childs-Body-Likely-Nevaeh/fFEMT9cZFEeBAFg2_uC6-g.cspx

I would imagine that there is great tension within her family, her brother seems to be indicating that he doesn't believe his sister.   

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.