April 18, 2024, 04:26:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powell vs. Cheney and Limbaugh  (Read 1408 times)
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: May 26, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »

As Colin Powell fires back against Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh in the latest skirmish in the battle over the future of the Republican Party, a new national poll indicates that Americans have a much more favorable opinion of Powell than Cheney or Limbaugh.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey, released Monday, suggests that 70 percent have a favorable opinion of Powell, who was Secretary of State during President George W. Bush's first term, and who served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the Persian Gulf War.

Only 30 percent of those polled have a favorable view of Limbaugh, the popular conservative radio talk show host, with 53 percent saying they hold an unfavorable opinion.

In poll numbers released Thursday, 37 percent say they have a favorable opinion of Dick Cheney, with 55 percent indicating they hold an unfavorable view of the former vice president.

Among Republicans, it's a different story. The poll suggests that 66 percent of Republicans have a favorable view of Cheney, 64 percent give Powell a thumbs up, and 62 view Limbaugh in a favorable way.

In an appearance on CBS' Face the Nation, Powell dismissed attacks from Cheney and Limbaugh, saying they are "not members of the membership committee of the Republican Party."

"Rush will not get his wish, and Mr. Cheney was misinformed. I am still a Republican," he said. "I would like to point out that in the course of my 50 years of voting for presidents, I have voted for the person I thought was best qualified at that time to lead the nation. Last year, I thought it was President Barack Obama. For the previous 20 years, I voted solidly for Republican candidates."

[...]

Could Colin Powell be a leader of the moderate wing of the GOP?

"Moderate Republicans fighting back against Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney. They're ready to rumble. And they've got a soldier to lead them," says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider.

LINK

Will Colin Powell be able to rescue the future of the Republican Party? I don't think the right-wing extremists quite realize what they've "accomplished" on behalf of the Republican Party. I don't think the extremists control the hearts and minds of the American people which became obvious beginning with the 2006 elections and continuing with President Obama's decisive election victory. The more extreme the extremists get, the more they marginalize themselves and all who publically proclaim their allegiance to the extremist talking points. Will they drag the Republican Party down to a point of no recovery at all? I just can't picture it because I grew up in the era of "I Like Ike" with the Democratic Party seemingly the marginalized ones. And yet this drastic tumble for the Republicans seems to be happening today. Is there no middle meeting ground between the extremists and the just plain conservatives?

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.