April 27, 2024, 12:42:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Continuing Education - Office Acronyms  (Read 4980 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 13, 2006, 10:34:26 AM »

These crack me up everytime MSN puts these up, new crop every year it seems, so for those monkeys seeking new employment here's the latest  Laughing

Avoid a CLM
Office acronyms to help you talk the talk at work or school
by Megan Aemmer

Whether you're working in a giant global corporation, a local mom-and-pop, or you're toiling away toward your M.B.A., you'll be more effective--or at least pretend to be--if you can talk the office talk. And more often than not, that talk is full of acronyms. You know--those abbreviations that workers may disguise as timesavers, but that mostly seem designed to impress their audience with their business fluency. So, if you're NVQ (not very qualified) in business lingo, this list may help you decipher those memos from the boss, woo a new client, or ace your next midterm exam.

1. A2O (Apples to Oranges): A comparison of dissimilar things; an inappropriate comparison. "I think we should ignore Smith's suggestion; the analysis is totally A2O."

2. B2B (Business to Business): Marketing-speak for a business supplying another business, as opposed to consumers or government. "They're strictly B2B, so you won't find their products in retail stores."

3. BHNC (Big Hat, No Cattle): Adapted from cowboy parlance. Used to describe someone who is all talk and no action, full of self-importance, and/or a poser. "She brags about her 'fabulous' job all the time, but she's BHNC."

4. CLM (Career-Limiting Move): A move that blocks your career path, or gets you fired, as in: "Wow, he made a real CLM when he showed up an hour late for the big pitch meeting."

5. CTD (Circling the Drain): Something that is on its last breath and about to die. Possibly related to disposing of a dead pet goldfish or a similar flushing-something-down-the-toilet scenario. "We all know the project is CTD, so most of us have started looking for new jobs."

6. FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt): A marketing tactic used by companies (often computer-related), FUD is used to scare consumers into staying with their product instead of trying the competitor's new product. "You could go with Company B, but their servers might crash on you."

7. MEGO (My Eyes Glazed Over): A sign of extreme boredom. "I had a serious case of MEGO after that accounting presentation."

8. PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard): Tech-speak used when the "problem" is within hearing range. "I took a look at her machine and it's clearly a PEBCAK situation," said one technician to the other.

9. PURE (Previously Undiscovered Recruiting Error): A new employee who isn't working out as well as expected; an employee who looked good on paper but isn't cutting it on the job. "The new assistant buyer is definitely a PURE. Her qualifications are stellar, but she's so rude!"

10. WIIFM (What's In It for Me?): A key question in communication. People aren't going to be interested in hearing your pitch if they can't see what's in it for them. "Jones completely failed to sell the new PR campaign. The client just didn't see the WIIFM factor in his pitch."

We hope these acronyms help your résumé, sales pitch, or term paper avoid the TNT (Thanks, but No Thanks) "reject" pile.

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/adultlearning/?article=AvoidaCLM&Gt1=8748

I continue to stand with the girl.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:27:01 PM »

Wow, that was fascinating! I'm glad I'm out of that world.

Thanks, Nonesy, honey.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.