April 26, 2024, 10:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #42 6/12/09 - 6/30/09  (Read 361085 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #760 on: June 21, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »

I hope this is the right place to post this as I need some help.

I was at the midnight golf tourney last night and won a draw - two lobsters.  They gave me a certificate which I took to the store today and the man grabbed two lobsters from the tank, boiled them and then handed them to me.  WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH THEM NOW????  (I know eat them).  I have them in my fridge right now as I want to have them for dinner later tonight.  Can I put them back in boiling water to reheat them?  How does one dissect a full lobster?  I know there is a part by the head that you have to be careful of but where and how?  I really need some help on how to CSI and serve these things.

Thanks in advance.

This link has all the info you could ever want including pictures of how to eat the thing piece by piece.

http://www.gma.org/lobsters/eatingetc.html

Thanks!  This site says the green thing is the tamalley.  Is that edible or is that the part the ruins the taste of the meat?  Can I reheat them in boiling water before I serve them?
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #761 on: June 21, 2009, 06:11:47 PM »

I was at the midnight golf tourney last night and won a draw - two lobsters.  They gave me a certificate which I took to the store today and the man grabbed two lobsters from the tank, boiled them and then handed them to me.  WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH THEM NOW????  (I know eat them).  I have them in my fridge right now as I want to have them for dinner later tonight.  Can I put them back in boiling water to reheat them?  How does one dissect a full lobster?  I know there is a part by the head that you have to be careful of but where and how?  I really need some help on how to CSI and serve these things.

Thanks in advance.
whewwwwwwwww, I was almost afraid to come look at your post!  Been involved in too much sad advice situations lately.  I have no idea - don't like fishy stuff, but if the rubber bands are on still you can take them off now! LOL

LOL yup I think I will not serve the rubber bands!
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #762 on: June 21, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »

Thanks in advance.
NO don't re-boil them!  steam them for a minuet.  make sure the water is boiling before you put them on to steam.  maybe 2 min max and better if you can put a lid on it (not you:)) the lobster.  as far as breaking them open you need some good sharp shears and a nut cracker.  if you haven't had much lobster i would suggest you stick with the tail, and the claws.  you can eat all of it but some of the parts are not so tasty.  you don't have to take it apart first, just eat the pieces you want.  Lucky You...good luck on your tasty dinner.

OK so I steam them in  a veggie steamer?  I filled face with Lobster when I was in Boston a few years ago on a conference and love them.  However those were stuffed and already prepared.  I should have asked them how they did it!
N2WISHN
Monkey Junky

« Reply #763 on: June 21, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »

DON'T EAT THAT PART......READ THIS

FDA: Don't Eat Maine Lobster Tomalley
Tomalley, the Soft Green Substance in the Lobster's Body Cavity, May Have Toxins

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20080728/fda-dont-eat-maine-lobster-tomalley

And yes, just reheat the lobster in boiling water or steam it till its hot. Don't overcook or it will be tough. Hope this helps........
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #764 on: June 21, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »

Tomalley, the Soft Green Substance in the Lobster's Body Cavity, May Have Toxins

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20080728/fda-dont-eat-maine-lobster-tomalley

And yes, just reheat the lobster in boiling water or steam it till its hot. Don't overcook or it will be tough. Hope this helps........

Ewww good thing I didn't. My friend was from New Hampshire and a self proclaimed lobsteress. She loved that stuff. Yuck!

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
N2WISHN
Monkey Junky

« Reply #765 on: June 21, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »

Ewww good thing I didn't. My friend was from New Hampshire and a self proclaimed lobsteress. She loved that stuff. Yuck!

It seems like everything in our oceans is becoming toxic. So sad.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #766 on: June 21, 2009, 06:22:30 PM »

According to the label on the tank these are Nova Scotia Lobster , but I did not ask to see their passports.  I agree, the ocean is really polluted so I think I will pass on the tomalley. 

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #767 on: June 21, 2009, 06:23:59 PM »

Wow did I mess up that post.  So sorry.  here it is

According to the label on the tank these are Nova Scotia Lobster , but I did not ask to see their passports.  I agree, the ocean is really polluted so I think I will pass on the tomalley.
N2WISHN
Monkey Junky

« Reply #768 on: June 21, 2009, 06:27:14 PM »

I don't think I would eat this stuff even if it wasn't toxic. Yuk.

Tomalley (alternative spelling: "tomale"[citation needed]) or lobster paste is the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of lobsters, that fulfils the functions of both the liver and the pancreas. Tomalley corresponds to the hepatopancreas in other arthropods
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #769 on: June 21, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »

Thanks in advance.
NO don't re-boil them!  steam them for a minuet.  make sure the water is boiling before you put them on to steam.  maybe 2 min max and better if you can put a lid on it (not you:)) the lobster.  as far as breaking them open you need some good sharp shears and a nut cracker.  if you haven't had much lobster i would suggest you stick with the tail, and the claws.  you can eat all of it but some of the parts are not so tasty.  you don't have to take it apart first, just eat the pieces you want.  Lucky You...good luck on your tasty dinner.

OK so I steam them in  a veggie steamer?  I filled face with Lobster when I was in Boston a few years ago on a conference and love them.  However those were stuffed and already prepared.  I should have asked them how they did it!
if they can fit yeah...better if you have a large pot or dutch oven and a steamer basket.  if you have a metal collander of strainer that can fit in or on top if the pot that will work too.  if you don't have a lid or it won't fit make one out if foil.   

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #770 on: June 21, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »

Thank you everyone.  I am going to steam them for 2 mins.  Stick with the tail and big azz claws and get the tree saw and sledge hammer out!

Wish me luck.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #771 on: June 21, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »

Thank you everyone.  I am going to steam them for 2 mins.  Stick with the tail and big azz claws and get the tree saw and sledge hammer out!

Wish me luck.

And maybe a pair of pliers for the claws?
A squeeze of lemon over the lobster meat, dip in melted butter...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #772 on: June 21, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »

Wish me luck.

yummm!

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #773 on: June 21, 2009, 09:08:10 PM »

Wish me luck.

yummm!

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #774 on: June 21, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »

Wish me luck.

yummm!

Wanted to thank you guys for your advice on this.  I steamed them for 3 mins each (lost track of time) and they were perfect!  Fresh lemon wedges and drawn butter made it even better.  The big azz claws were challenging to get open but worth ever struggle!  Yum is right!  Itty bitty claws were really good as well!
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #775 on: June 22, 2009, 12:41:56 PM »

Tomorrow my hubby is going to have a procedure at the hospital. Today is prep day, so I will be a little distracted. I will also be logging off early tonight, as we have to be at the hospital at 6AM!    I am definitely not a morning person, but a monkey has to do what a monkey has to do.   

If all goes well, we should be home about noon. As you all know how much of a ninny I am when it concerns hubby, it wouldn't hurt if you prayed a little for both of us. My son is taking off work to be with me so I won't be bouncing off the waiting room walls. 

Thank you all for letting me know how much you care about me and the other Sacred Monkeys. I should be back into my old monkey form by tomorrow afternoon.   an angelic monkey

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #776 on: June 22, 2009, 12:56:50 PM »

Tomorrow my hubby is going to have a procedure at the hospital. Today is prep day, so I will be a little distracted. I will also be logging off early tonight, as we have to be at the hospital at 6AM!    I am definitely not a morning person, but a monkey has to do what a monkey has to do.   

If all goes well, we should be home about noon. As you all know how much of a ninny I am when it concerns hubby, it wouldn't hurt if you prayed a little for both of us. My son is taking off work to be with me so I won't be bouncing off the waiting room walls. 

Thank you all for letting me know how much you care about me and the other Sacred Monkeys. I should be back into my old monkey form by tomorrow afternoon.   an angelic monkey
Of course I will, my thoughts and prayers. Did I read that he is having a colonoscopy? I've had several, and the prep for it, is so much worse then the procedure. They really need to come up with a better way of doing those. Hope all goes well tomorrow  an angelic monkey
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #777 on: June 22, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »

Good luck Fanny.  Will keep you both in prayer.    an angelic monkey
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #778 on: June 22, 2009, 01:07:05 PM »

Of course I will, my thoughts and prayers. Did I read that he is having a colonoscopy? I've had several, and the prep for it, is so much worse then the procedure. They really need to come up with a better way of doing those. Hope all goes well tomorrow  an angelic monkey

Yes, and although it is a routine proceedure, nothing is routine with him since he has had a stroke. That is why we will be doing it at the hospital instead of a Colonoscopy center. He will be there already if there are complications. He has to have them routinely as his mother had colon cancer.  Thank You.  an angelic monkey

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #779 on: June 22, 2009, 01:07:58 PM »

Thank you Sassycat!   an angelic monkey

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.