April 25, 2024, 11:12:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet Brian Deese  (Read 2009 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« on: June 02, 2009, 09:01:27 PM »

Meet Brian Deese
Tuesday , June 02, 2009

By Glenn Beck

ADVERTISEMENTHere's the one thing and there's absolutely nothing funny about it: the wunderkind in charge of saving our auto industry is a 31-year-old with about as much experience as a summer intern.

Despite having no formal business education, no business experience and no auto industry experience, 31-year-old Brian Deese is now in charge of dismantling General Motors.

So what does this guy's resume look like? It should be impressive, considering he's managing America's $458,000 per day involuntary investment.

Deese grew up in a Boston suburb, the son of a political science professor at Boston College. He moved to Vermont and attended Middlebury College, where he studied political science and also took time to host a campus radio show called "Bedknobs and Beatniks," described in one write-up as "a format of music, news, discussion and banter."

He graduated college in 2000 and then it was onto a pair of non-profit think tanks: the Center for Global Development and the Center for American Progress.

Eventually Deese went to Yale for a law degree, but a few credits short of graduating, he went "on leave" to work on Senator Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, quickly becoming her top economic policy staffer.

Last summer, Deese moved to the Obama campaign as a deputy economic policy director and, just before this current gig, he served on Obama's transition team as an economic adviser.

He was apparently the only full-time member of the auto task force from election night until about Valentine's Day, which Deese says was, "a little scary."

What should be more than a little scary for GM, much less the American people, is that however smart Deese may be, he has literally no private sector experience; he is not formally trained in economics or business; and, according to The Times, he "never spent much time flipping through the endless studies about the nature of the American and Japanese auto industries."

In fact, until a few months ago, the closest Deese came to an automobile plant, was sleeping in a GM parking lot, where Pontiac G5s have been made since the plant's 1960s heyday.

By the way, thanks to Deese's plan, there won't be a Pontiac anymore.

So, this is what one of those "uniquely qualified" geniuses handpicked by President Obama look like.

Feeling good about your investment, America?

With only one out of five Americans supporting the auto bailout in the first place; I wonder what kind of support there is for the inexperienced Brian Deese to tinker with the auto industry and change capitalism? I'm not an economist, but, like Deese, I am "on leave" from Yale. So I guess that makes me "uniquely qualified" to take a guess at the number: zero.

Which, ironically, is just a hair less than what GM's stock is now worth.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,524757,00.html
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »

errr...call me crazy, but don't we need someone who would at least know how to change oil on a vehicle or how to put gas in it? someone who has been in the car industry? 

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 07:36:38 AM »

Maybe Brian Deese is a figurehead.  A red herring.  Is he there to take the blame?  A political homeless person?  Is he young enough to get another political appointment after GM fails?

Think of those who were part of the Fannie and Freddie fiasco, Rahm Emanual and Barnie Frank come to mind.  All the red flags, problems...the had all the opportunity to address the problems and didn't.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:48:57 AM »

Here is what the Center for Global Development does -

Today CGD conducts research and analysis on a wide range of topics related to how rich country policies impact people in the developing world. These include:

Aid Effectiveness
Education
Globalization
Health
Migration
Trade

The globalization of markets can and has brought mutual benefits to both the rich and the poor. Yet there is contention over how these benefits are divided, and there is an increasing recognition that global markets require good global politics. CGD believes that good global politics are critical to the battle against global poverty and unrealized human development, and to a more just and fair as well as a more stable and prosperous global economy. CGD President Nancy Birdsall leads the center’s work on the politics and economics of globalization.

http://www.cgdev.org/section/about/

No jobs for you America.  It's about exporting all your jobs, resources, future potential...let the bankers rule the nation.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:53:47 AM »

There is even a book -

The White House and the World: A Global Development Agenda for the Next U.S. President

http://www.cgdev.org/content/publications/detail/16560

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.