April 20, 2024, 09:33:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Houston mother of 18 month old twins who died alone in fire hears sentence  (Read 2659 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: June 03, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6456033.html

Houston mother of twins who died alone in fire hears sentence

By ALLAN TURNER HOUSTON CHRONICLE
June 3, 2009, 11:33AM
A mother whose twin daughters perished in an east Houston house fire after she left them alone to buy cigarettes has been sentenced to seven years of deferred adjudication after pleading guilty to criminally negligent homicide.

LaVera Moore entered the plea Tuesday in 185th state District Court. Harris County prosecutor Connie Spence said Moore could have been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison.

If Moore successfully completes her probation, the case will be dismissed.

The felony charge stemmed from a Dec. 10 blaze at Moore’s home at 1710 Sam Wilson in which her 18-month-old twins, Shakayla and Makayla Carroll, died.

Investigators said the children were asleep on a sofa in a front room when Moore left the residence about midnight to buy cigarettes at a nearby store.

Moore, authorities said, had lighted burners on her kitchen stove to help heat the house. When she returned about 20 minutes later, the structure was engulfed in flames.

“There was too much fire,” District Fire Chief Tommy Dowdy said at the scene. “The children were already dead when we got there.”
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:12:47 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:11:04 PM »

that is it???? no jail time really???
how old were these kids???
this is a real determent to leaving kids alone isn't it?? NOT!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »

cookie ~ the children were only 18 months old    The mom left two 18 month old children alone to go get some cigarettes.   I'm not going to say more here, but in my eyes, her two little children lost to a pack of cigarettes on the mother's list of priorities 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »

Why didn't they just slap her on the wrist and say BAD MOMMY! 
What Is Deferred Adjudication?
http://www.tajlr.com/index..html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »

Thanks for the site for the Deferred Adjudication.  Just goes to prove, there is a difference between a fact and the truth.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »

cookie ~ the children were only 18 months old    The mom left two 18 month old children alone to go get some cigarettes.   I'm not going to say more here, but in my eyes, her two little children lost to a pack of cigarettes on the mother's list of priorities 

thanks muffers for the reply...
yeah...would you ever want to smoke again in your life knowing that your kids died cause you needed a cigarette? But hey, this mom will probably justify it in her own mind that it was ok what she did...after all...she didn't get a jail sentence ..so how bad could it be what she did?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.