April 20, 2024, 07:31:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nevaeh Amyah Buchanan #2 6/05/09 -  (Read 463555 times)
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1020 on: July 10, 2009, 09:02:10 AM »

I really hope the article is accurate that the investigation is still ongoing.  Why are results taking this long if they said that the forensics lab has this case a  priority?  Surely LE has details already and is just making sure their case is solid before they make their move.

Oh, I'm sure it is Rose.  It really hasn't been all that long, to be honest with you.  We're all impatient--I want nothing more than to log onto this site or a news site and read about an arrest.

Anyway, there are certain very complex toxicology tests that, because of the nature of the test, the results take a good bit of time to process.  It's a waiting game.  That's likely what they are waiting for so they can close the loop on the cause of death.  I think they pretty much have everything else squared away and are working "behind the scenes" to bring everything together.

Justice will prevail for Nevaeh. 

Momof7kids
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1021 on: July 10, 2009, 10:04:03 PM »

Hi everyone. I wanted to thankyou for your congrats and I also wanted to reply to the post why it is taking so long to get some news from LE. It takes time to get everything right that will be excepted in a court of law as far as evidence. There is a lot of evidence that is brought into the court room that can prove someones innocents or guilt that is not even heard by the jury or judge because of some freak technocality and we can not afford that to happen so the longer they take to get it all right is ok with me. Once everything is ok with the judge as far as physical, and material evidence and there is enough proof on a suspect than there will be justice for little Nevaeh, that precious little angel an angelic monkey
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1022 on: July 12, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »

Article published July 12, 2009
Nevaeh's family waits for justice, hopes for healing

By TOM HENRY
BLADE STAFF WRITER

MONROE - Five weeks later, and Sherry Buchanan still doesn't know what to do with her hands during the time of night when her granddaughter, Nevaeh Buchanan, would be going to bed if she were still alive.

Why was an innocent 5-year-old kidnapped and slain? What kind of suffering did the little girl endure before her body was found June 4 in concrete along the River Raisin's shoreline? How could a monster so sick and twisted possibly remain at large in Monroe?

Those are questions that Buchanan family members internalize as they mourn. They yearn for psychological healing, but they can't envision the day it will come.

Since Nevaeh was laid to rest in Monroe's St. Joseph Cemetery a month ago tomorrow, devastated family members have been left with voids in their hearts and nothing but time on their hands.

They're waiting for autopsy results.

They're waiting for an arrest.

They're waiting for a conviction.

They're waiting for justice.

But even if they get all of those, there's no guarantee they'll ever get peace of mind.

Sherry Buchanan, Nevaeh's grandmother and legal guardian, said she misses watching Dora the Explorer and SpongeBob Squarepants with her in their apartment at the Charlotte Arms complex.

"It's hard to come home at night and not have that baby here to greet me," Ms. Buchanan said. "That was my life."

Nevaeh disappeared May 24, setting off a search that involved hundreds of authorities and volunteers and gained nationwide media exposure before ending with the tragic result.

The child and her grandmother shared the apartment's only bedroom.

Nevaeh slept in a toddler bed next to her grandmother's. Her bedtime routine consisted of having Grandma roll on her side, reach down, and lovingly brush away her hair.

The girl loved being soothed like that each night, Ms. Buchanan said.

Since the kidnapping, Ms. Buchanan has slept on her couch. She said she cannot bear to re-enter her bedroom, save for a few minutes now and then to retrieve clothes from her closet.

She told a detective that her 53-year-old body aches from mourning.

And waiting.

"It feels like my insides are eating me up," Ms. Buchanan said.

It's not the pain in her gut that bothers her the most, though.

It's the absence of Nevaeh's soft hair passing through her fingers at night.

Relatives in mourning
Across town at the Willow Green Mobile Home Park, one of Ms. Buchanan's sisters, Cathy DeWilde, 55, and her husband, Norman DeWilde, 57, share the family's grief.

Sherry and Nevaeh lived with the couple for three months before Sherry got the apartment at Charlotte Arms.

"That baby touched a lot of peoples' lives," Mr. DeWilde, Nevaeh's great-uncle, said.

Nevaeh loved watching Westerns with him, films that Mr. DeWilde describes as "cowboy shows."

He figures he's seen almost every Western made for television. He can't bring himself to watch them now.

He and Nevaeh were famous for raiding the DeWilde freezer for flavored ice pops.

"They would eat them by the box," Ms. DeWilde said.

Now, every time the DeWildes go to a grocery store, they think of Nevaeh.

The DeWildes and the Buchanans have quietly started a campaign to have a permanent marker placed at the site where Nevaeh's body was found.

Ms. DeWilde said a tribute beside the river is important "so that parents don't lie back and stop watching their kids when they're outside."

The body was at a popular fishing spot along the River Raisin outside of Ida.

The site is eerily serene and beautiful, considering what happened there.

Trees and tall grasses fill a riverbank so steep that it is a challenge for those unfamiliar with it to navigate their way to the bottom.

The body was in a clearing of exposed rock and clay.

Mr. DeWilde said he has visited the site about a dozen times since June 4, using a rope to rappel himself down to the shoreline.

"Each time I come out, it doesn't get any easier," he said. "You would think it would, but it doesn't."

The site has become an unofficial memorial, with dozens of newly donated toys and stuffed animals dropped off by anonymous donors.

There's also a drawing of Nevaeh and a hand-scrawled Scripture passage, plus a board signed by well-wishers trying to raise money for steps or some sort of marker themselves.

Family members said they would be touched if the community would come together with a permanent display, although they haven't settled on the details.

Mr. DeWilde said he would like to have it remain accessible to fishermen without installing steps.

One of Ms. Buchanan's sisters, Diana Lawson, 57, said she wants steps installed so that more people with mobility limits, including herself, can go down to the riverbank and pray.

A growing collection
Mr. DeWilde said the collection of tributes grows each time he visits it, as does one on top of the cemetery grave where Nevaeh's body was put to rest.

The makeshift burial site along the riverbank where Nevaeh's body was concealed is a recessed cavity that silt can reach when the river crests, a mere step or two from the water.

As the memorial grows, results of Nevaeh's autopsy, including the cause of her death, still have not been released.

Kerry McCafferty, a spokesman for the FBI in Detroit, said the agency continues to work the case with its law enforcement partners in Monroe County.

Several people were identified as persons of interest after Nevaeh disappeared, but no one new has been named in the case, he said.

Shattered lives
Family members are at a loss to know how they will pull their lives back together.

The ordeal, including the media exposure, seems like such a blur.

Ms. Buchanan said she's still not over the death of her husband, James, who succumbed to colon cancer in 1996. "I miss him with all my heart," she said.

But the Buchanans said they are hoping to produce a compact disc of music in Nevaeh's memory, including a song written for her funeral by a local artist, John Voss.

Ms. Buchanan said her son, Michael, 26, is producing the CD.

Proceeds from it would be split between the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis and a Monroe County fund dedicated to victims of child abuse, she said.

Shortly after Nevaeh's funeral, not long after reporters stopped camping out in the Charlotte Arms parking lot, management at the apartment complex told the family to dismantle the mammoth memorial that had sprung up around a prominent tree.

Nine bags of stuffed animals and other trinkets were donated to the agency that provides protective services to Monroe County children, the Buchanans said.

The family has a 20-inch bicycle that Nevaeh got for Christmas but was never able to ride.

Mike Buchanan was just about to buy her training wheels for it when she vanished.

Ms. Buchanan said her daughter, Jennifer Buchanan, 24, Nevaeh's mother, is now living with a friend.

Family members said she was too upset to comment.

Jennifer had lived with her mother and Nevaeh sporadically since being released from jail for her involvement in a break-in.

She served 11 months in jail after pleading guilty to two counts of home invasion in 2006.

Ms. Buchanan said she was granted custody of her grandchild while her daughter was in jail.

Nevaeh's grandmother returned to her job as a cashier at a local Food Town supermarket 2 1/2 weeks ago after taking a month off because of the tragedy.

She hoped her job would distract her from the investigation, but found it only does in spurts.

She said she's grateful for the condolences offered by customers who recognize her as she rings up their purchases.

At the DeWilde home is a palm-sized remembrance that Mr. DeWilde made. It has a little toy car about the size of a thumbnail, a plastic figurine of a gorilla, a cross, and one of his favorite pictures of Nevaeh.

Its base is a chunk of concrete from the site where her body was found. Mr. DeWilde said he retrieved it from what authorities left behind.

As Shaun Lawson, Ms. Buchanan's nephew and Nevaeh's second cousin, put it: "We fear for the ones who forget. The minute they do so, they're the ones who are going to have this happen to them."

Staff writer Florence Dethy contributed to this report.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090712/NEWS16/907120310

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1023 on: July 12, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »

Thanks, pink angel. Those first few lines are hearbreaking-I don't like to think about that. I pray Nevaeh went quietly. I can't imagine the pain. My heart continues to bleed for this little girl. I tear up when I think about her. I can't believe such inhumanity shares the same planet. I just wish there was something I could say or do to make myself and others feel better. But the words just don't exist.

God Bless You Nevaeh. You've touched the hearts of many.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1024 on: July 12, 2009, 11:31:05 PM »

You know what makes it harder? I'm at the beach with my family this week. Kids are everywhere. I look at them playing in the sand, running in the water, screaming and laughing, and can't help but wonder how anyone can hurt them. It's just incomprehensible.

Haddie McFaddies Mom
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1025 on: July 13, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »

I found it really interesting to learn that Jennifer has moved out.
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1026 on: July 13, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »

HMM- from what I remember, she moved out long ago. I can't remember the exact timeframe, but it was right around the time Nevaeh was found. I found that quite interesting myself. Besides blaming her for what happened, I'm left wondering whether there's more to it.

I really hope something breaks in this case soon.

God Bless You Nevaeh.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1027 on: July 13, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »

You know what makes it harder? I'm at the beach with my family this week. Kids are everywhere. I look at them playing in the sand, running in the water, screaming and laughing, and can't help but wonder how anyone can hurt them. It's just incomprehensible.

hi Jess....my thoughts too! my grand daughters are 11 months, 3 and 6 yrs old...and I can not imagine someone taking a child of any age and hurting them....when the 6 yr old and her 5 yr old twin friends were splashing around in the pool during vacation and laughing and playing...I did think about the little children that we have written about on here and I really felt sad....those little children should be doing the same things that these kids were doing...having a fun wonderful life! so sad that they are not....

mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1028 on: July 13, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »

Article published July 12, 2009
Nevaeh's family waits for justice, hopes for healing

By TOM HENRY
BLADE STAFF WRITER

MONROE - Five weeks later, and Sherry Buchanan still doesn't know what to do with her hands during the time of night when her granddaughter, Nevaeh Buchanan, would be going to bed if she were still alive.

Why was an innocent 5-year-old kidnapped and slain? What kind of suffering did the little girl endure before her body was found June 4 in concrete along the River Raisin's shoreline? How could a monster so sick and twisted possibly remain at large in Monroe?

Those are questions that Buchanan family members internalize as they mourn. They yearn for psychological healing, but they can't envision the day it will come.

Since Nevaeh was laid to rest in Monroe's St. Joseph Cemetery a month ago tomorrow, devastated family members have been left with voids in their hearts and nothing but time on their hands.

They're waiting for autopsy results.

They're waiting for an arrest.

They're waiting for a conviction.

They're waiting for justice.

But even if they get all of those, there's no guarantee they'll ever get peace of mind.

Sherry Buchanan, Nevaeh's grandmother and legal guardian, said she misses watching Dora the Explorer and SpongeBob Squarepants with her in their apartment at the Charlotte Arms complex.

"It's hard to come home at night and not have that baby here to greet me," Ms. Buchanan said. "That was my life."

Nevaeh disappeared May 24, setting off a search that involved hundreds of authorities and volunteers and gained nationwide media exposure before ending with the tragic result.

The child and her grandmother shared the apartment's only bedroom.

Nevaeh slept in a toddler bed next to her grandmother's. Her bedtime routine consisted of having Grandma roll on her side, reach down, and lovingly brush away her hair.

The girl loved being soothed like that each night, Ms. Buchanan said.

Since the kidnapping, Ms. Buchanan has slept on her couch. She said she cannot bear to re-enter her bedroom, save for a few minutes now and then to retrieve clothes from her closet.

She told a detective that her 53-year-old body aches from mourning.

And waiting.

"It feels like my insides are eating me up," Ms. Buchanan said.

It's not the pain in her gut that bothers her the most, though.

It's the absence of Nevaeh's soft hair passing through her fingers at night.

Relatives in mourning
Across town at the Willow Green Mobile Home Park, one of Ms. Buchanan's sisters, Cathy DeWilde, 55, and her husband, Norman DeWilde, 57, share the family's grief.

Sherry and Nevaeh lived with the couple for three months before Sherry got the apartment at Charlotte Arms.

"That baby touched a lot of peoples' lives," Mr. DeWilde, Nevaeh's great-uncle, said.

Nevaeh loved watching Westerns with him, films that Mr. DeWilde describes as "cowboy shows."

He figures he's seen almost every Western made for television. He can't bring himself to watch them now.

He and Nevaeh were famous for raiding the DeWilde freezer for flavored ice pops.

"They would eat them by the box," Ms. DeWilde said.

Now, every time the DeWildes go to a grocery store, they think of Nevaeh.

The DeWildes and the Buchanans have quietly started a campaign to have a permanent marker placed at the site where Nevaeh's body was found.

Ms. DeWilde said a tribute beside the river is important "so that parents don't lie back and stop watching their kids when they're outside."

The body was at a popular fishing spot along the River Raisin outside of Ida.

The site is eerily serene and beautiful, considering what happened there.

Trees and tall grasses fill a riverbank so steep that it is a challenge for those unfamiliar with it to navigate their way to the bottom.

The body was in a clearing of exposed rock and clay.

Mr. DeWilde said he has visited the site about a dozen times since June 4, using a rope to rappel himself down to the shoreline.

"Each time I come out, it doesn't get any easier," he said. "You would think it would, but it doesn't."

The site has become an unofficial memorial, with dozens of newly donated toys and stuffed animals dropped off by anonymous donors.

There's also a drawing of Nevaeh and a hand-scrawled Scripture passage, plus a board signed by well-wishers trying to raise money for steps or some sort of marker themselves.

Family members said they would be touched if the community would come together with a permanent display, although they haven't settled on the details.

Mr. DeWilde said he would like to have it remain accessible to fishermen without installing steps.

One of Ms. Buchanan's sisters, Diana Lawson, 57, said she wants steps installed so that more people with mobility limits, including herself, can go down to the riverbank and pray.

A growing collection
Mr. DeWilde said the collection of tributes grows each time he visits it, as does one on top of the cemetery grave where Nevaeh's body was put to rest.

The makeshift burial site along the riverbank where Nevaeh's body was concealed is a recessed cavity that silt can reach when the river crests, a mere step or two from the water.

As the memorial grows, results of Nevaeh's autopsy, including the cause of her death, still have not been released.

Kerry McCafferty, a spokesman for the FBI in Detroit, said the agency continues to work the case with its law enforcement partners in Monroe County.

Several people were identified as persons of interest after Nevaeh disappeared, but no one new has been named in the case, he said.

Shattered lives
Family members are at a loss to know how they will pull their lives back together.

The ordeal, including the media exposure, seems like such a blur.

Ms. Buchanan said she's still not over the death of her husband, James, who succumbed to colon cancer in 1996. "I miss him with all my heart," she said.

But the Buchanans said they are hoping to produce a compact disc of music in Nevaeh's memory, including a song written for her funeral by a local artist, John Voss.

Ms. Buchanan said her son, Michael, 26, is producing the CD.

Proceeds from it would be split between the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis and a Monroe County fund dedicated to victims of child abuse, she said.

Shortly after Nevaeh's funeral, not long after reporters stopped camping out in the Charlotte Arms parking lot, management at the apartment complex told the family to dismantle the mammoth memorial that had sprung up around a prominent tree.

Nine bags of stuffed animals and other trinkets were donated to the agency that provides protective services to Monroe County children, the Buchanans said.

The family has a 20-inch bicycle that Nevaeh got for Christmas but was never able to ride.

Mike Buchanan was just about to buy her training wheels for it when she vanished.

Ms. Buchanan said her daughter, Jennifer Buchanan, 24, Nevaeh's mother, is now living with a friend.

Family members said she was too upset to comment.

Jennifer had lived with her mother and Nevaeh sporadically since being released from jail for her involvement in a break-in.

She served 11 months in jail after pleading guilty to two counts of home invasion in 2006.

Ms. Buchanan said she was granted custody of her grandchild while her daughter was in jail.

Nevaeh's grandmother returned to her job as a cashier at a local Food Town supermarket 2 1/2 weeks ago after taking a month off because of the tragedy.

She hoped her job would distract her from the investigation, but found it only does in spurts.

She said she's grateful for the condolences offered by customers who recognize her as she rings up their purchases.

At the DeWilde home is a palm-sized remembrance that Mr. DeWilde made. It has a little toy car about the size of a thumbnail, a plastic figurine of a gorilla, a cross, and one of his favorite pictures of Nevaeh.

Its base is a chunk of concrete from the site where her body was found. Mr. DeWilde said he retrieved it from what authorities left behind.

As Shaun Lawson, Ms. Buchanan's nephew and Nevaeh's second cousin, put it: "We fear for the ones who forget. The minute they do so, they're the ones who are going to have this happen to them."

Staff writer Florence Dethy contributed to this report.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090712/NEWS16/907120310
Nevaeh....no one forgets you.... an angelic monkey

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
CarolynV
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1029 on: July 14, 2009, 04:05:14 PM »

http://freep.com/article/20090714/NEWS05/90714063/5-year-old-Nevaeh-may-have-been-buried-alive--autopsy-results-reveal
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1030 on: July 14, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

Thank-you 
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1031 on: July 14, 2009, 05:12:23 PM »

I had heard about this earlier today, as I got a heads up from a reporter. I didn't want to say anything till after it was announced. It makes me sick. Our poor angel.

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1032 on: July 14, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »

There was suppose to be a news conference at 5 pm but it was postponed till tomorrow.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1033 on: July 14, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »

Oh dear God..We can only hope that she was unconcious. Oh dear God. 

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1034 on: July 14, 2009, 06:58:10 PM »

Nutt,I know your up there somewhere.
Death Penalty. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1035 on: July 14, 2009, 06:59:20 PM »

I hope so. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1036 on: July 14, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »

this is horrific to hear....I am just sick...who could do this to a little child??? a monster that is for sure!

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1037 on: July 14, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »

Nutt,I know your up there somewhere.
Death Penalty. 
No death penalty in Michigan 
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1038 on: July 14, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »

5-year-old Nevaeh may have been buried alive, autopsy results reveal
Dirt in lungs reveals clues to girl's death

BY AMBER HUNT • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • July 14, 2009

Updated at 6:40 p.m.

Nevaeh Buchanan — the 5-year-old Monroe girl who was kidnapped, killed, then buried on the banks of the River Raisin under a layer of concrete — might have been buried alive, results from an autopsy indicate.

The girl’s cause of death has been ruled asphyxiation; the manner, homicide, a source told the Free Press.

Nevaeh’s aunt, Diana Lawson, confirmed that the family had been told by police that the little girl might have been alive when she was placed in a shallow grave along the River Raisin in Raisinville Township.

“It’s the worst nightmare,” Lawson told the Free Press. “All we can do is take it one step at a time.”

Testing on the girl’s body, including her lungs, show that she died after inhaling dirt. Authorities previously reported that she had no outward signs of trauma — such as broken bones or other wounds — that illuminated how she died.

Fishermen found Nevaeh’s body on June 4, 10 days after she disappeared from outside her Monroe apartment complex.

The disappearance prompted a region-wide search that turned up empty. It wasn’t until two men felt concrete crumbling beneath them as they fished on the riverbank that the girl was discovered.

Nevaeh was laid to rest a month ago Monday after a funeral attended by hundreds. Nevaeh’s mother and grandmother, Jennifer and Sherry Buchanan, are heartbroken, Lawson said.

“Sherry’s at work and she’s not ready even to come home,” said Lawson at about 6 p.m., as media people began swarming the apartment complex parking lot where the women live. “They can’t face this.”

No one has been arrested in the slaying. Anyone with information is asked to call 734-243-7070.

Same link at the freep article above just updated.
The family found out through the media. Not from the Sheriff. It was a "leak".

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1039 on: July 14, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »

the family that found out from the media was Shane. That could be because he is out of town.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.