April 26, 2024, 09:22:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nevaeh Amyah Buchanan #2 6/05/09 -  (Read 465715 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1440 on: May 23, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »

Seeking justice for Nevaeh
by Charles Slat , last modified May 23. 2010 12:11AM
A year ago, John Morse sometimes would play alone outside his family’s Monroe apartment.

“I don’t do that anymore,” said John, 9, who was one of Nevaeh Buchanan’s playmates at the Charlotte Arms apartment complex where the two lived.

That was before Nevaeh was snatched from the apartment complex’s parking lot over Memorial Day weekend and her body later found covered with concrete in a shallow grave at a remote fishing spot along the banks of the River Raisin.

Now, a year after the tragedy, Nevaeh’s death continues to hang like a pall over many in the community. The incident has changed the lives of those who knew the little girl and those who only knew of her.

In fact, John’s family recently moved away from the N. Macomb St. apartments because of lingering concerns raised by Nevaeh’s abduction and murder.

He and many others touched by the tragedy were among those who attended an event dubbed “Remembering Nevaeh: One Year Later” Saturday at the Monroe Moose Family Center on N. Macomb St., not far from the apartment where Nevaeh lived. Organizers weren’t calling it an anniversary or celebration but more of an awareness campaign.

“This is just to bring awareness,” said Risa Thompson of Garden City, a distant relative of the Buchanan family who, with Pittsburgh lawyer Joe Starkey, founded Justice for Nevaeh, a nonprofit organization seeking to bring the killer to justice. “A lot of people don’t realize that the person who did this isn’t caught yet.”

But many at Saturday’s event didn’t need a reminder.

John’s mom, Dorothy, said she keeps an even closer watch over the youngest of her three sons whenever he goes outside. “Every five or 10 minutes I’m out there checking on him,” she said. “As of today, he’s got his own cell phone.”

They lived in the apartment for four years before Nevaeh moved in. They moved out recently because Miss Morse’s 15-year-old has refused to stay at the place since the murder, opting to live with a friend’s family instead.

It is fear shared by many. It is fear that a killer still stalks the streets and might strike again.

David Simpson, a representative of the Greater Toledo Chapter of Parents of Murdered Children and Other Survivors of Homicide, a support group, understands those fears too well. He said Nevaeh’s murder refreshed painful memories of the similar murder of his 4-year-old sister, Stacy, on May 1, 1969.

The little girl was playing outside on her tricycle and suddenly disappeared. Her bike was found abandoned at the end of the street. After a six-hour search, her strangled body was found hidden under items in a garage four doors away. A 19-year-old neighbor boy confessed to committing the crime.

Mr. Simpson was 10 at the time and remembers going door to door with police showing a photo of his younger sister to area residents. He said the search seemed like an eternity and he can’t imagine the anguish of the Buchanan family who endured weeks before Nevaeh’s body was found and waits for a killer to be brought to justice. Now, 51, he still struggles with his sister’s loss, as well as the later murder of a 19-year-old brother. That’s one of the reasons he’s active in the Toledo group.

“You have your good days. You have bad days,” he said. “We’re here to tell people they’re not alone.”

The circumstances of the Nevaeh case were terribly familiar to him. “That was gut-wrenching for me,” he said of the Monroe murder.

A variety of items were for sale at the event, including Nevaeh T-shirts, buttons and bookmarks. Money raised from Saturday’s event will be added a scholarship fund. Meanwhile, the group also has raised $1,500 as a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the murderer. Ms. Thompson said the reward money is meant to take tips from people who, for whatever reason, want to provide info at arm’s length from law enforcement agencies. Reward money offered through police agencies already totals $20,000.

Besides games, refreshments and entertainment, the Saturday event featured a bunch of information for parents to help keep kids safe. Among those providing information was Corey Pierce, a counselor from Temperance, who talked about the resources available to parents and distributed a list of Web sites, including www.pollyklaas.org, where free child safety kits are available.

The Rev. Dale Hayford, who led search parties, prayer meetings and vigils, said he continues to pray that the murderer steps forward. He offered a community prayer at the event Saturday and continues to offer to counsel and act as a conduit to police agencies if the killer steps forward.

But he said there appears to be no information about progress or lack of progress in the murder case.

His theory — one of many in the community — is that Nevaeh knew her killer.

“I feel it was someone she knew because, from what the family tells me, if it was anybody else, she would have been kicking and screaming,” he said.

http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100523/NEWS01/705239969/-1/NEWS

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1441 on: May 23, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »

Thank you Nut!   

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1442 on: May 23, 2010, 10:12:45 AM »

Since I'm most active in this Cage, I thought I'd cross post this here.  Please take a look.  It's titled, "Are laws to protect our children too expensive?"

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7918.0

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1443 on: May 24, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »

Today marks one year since Nevaeh went missing.  It is going to be a rough day for many of us.   

So please, take a moment, and light a candle for her.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=nab

Thank you.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1444 on: May 24, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »

Today marks one year since Nevaeh went missing.  It is going to be a rough day for many of us.   

So please, take a moment, and light a candle for her.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=nab

Thank you.

Prayers for sweet angel Nevaeh.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1445 on: June 13, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »

A YEAR LATER: A cross marks where the body of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan was found beside the River Raisin on June 4, 2009. She had disappeared from her home in Monroe on May 24. While police have questioned several people in the case, her killer still walks free.

Posted: June 13, 2010
8 PAGE REPORT

One year later: Who killed Nevaeh Buchanan?
Her murder gripped Michigan. In Monroe, it has never let go.
http://www.freep.com/article/20100613/FEATURES01/6130459/One-year-later-Who-killed-Nevaeh-Buchanan-

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1446 on: June 28, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »

Justice for Nevaeh to Host Anonymous Reward Canvassing and Information Event

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (June 17, 2010)– MONROE, MI:  Justice for Nevaeh, an association devoted to seeking Justice for Nevaeh Buchanan, a five-year old little girl who was abducted last year while playing outside her home in Monroe and brutally murdered, is hosting a free event to provide information and answer questions about its Anonymous Reward Campaign.  Free Reward Posters will also be available.  The event will start at 8:00 pm at the Moose Lodge, 1320 North Macomb Street, Monroe.

“We want the public to understand that our Reward is completely separate and independent from those already being offered.  Justice for Nevaeh is devoted to seeing an arrest and conviction of Nevaeh’s killer and is offering this Reward as a way to provide information in a completely anonymous way.  Our slogan for this event is ‘We don’t want your name.  We want your information, no matter how insignificant it may seem.’  Often times the tip that breaks the case is something that may seem ordinary, like someone unexpectedly missing work, falling ill, selling a car, or moving.  We want that information—it may provide the missing link that gets a child killer off the streets.  That’s our goal.”

For further information, or to submit an anonymous tip, please call Justice for Nevaeh’s anonymous tip line at (734) 419-3232 or (412) 849-0079.  Information may also be sent anonymously by email to Justice4Nevaeh@gmail.com.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1447 on: June 28, 2010, 11:28:05 PM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (June 17, 2010)– MONROE, MI:  Justice for Nevaeh, an association devoted to seeking Justice for Nevaeh Buchanan, a five-year old little girl who was abducted last year while playing outside her home in Monroe and brutally murdered, is hosting a free event on Wednesday, June 30thto provide information and answer questions about its Anonymous Reward Campaign.  Free Reward Posters will also be available.  The event will start at 8:00 pm at the Moose Lodge, 1320 North Macomb Street, Monroe.

“We want the public to understand that our Reward is completely separate and independent from those already being offered.  Justice for Nevaeh is devoted to seeing an arrest and conviction of Nevaeh’s killer and is offering this Reward as a way to provide information in a completely anonymous way.  Our slogan for this event is ‘We don’t want your name.  We want your information, no matter how insignificant it may seem.’  Often times the tip that breaks the case is something that may seem ordinary, like someone unexpectedly missing work, falling ill, selling a car, or moving.  We want that information—it may provide the missing link that gets a child killer off the streets.  That’s our goal.”

For further information, or to submit an anonymous tip, please call Justice for Nevaeh’s anonymous tip line at (734) 419-3232 or (412) 849-0079.  Information may also be sent anonymously by email to Justice4Nevaeh@gmail.com.

Self edit--I posted the wrong release.  I edited to include the date, June 30th (this Wednesday).

Thanks.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1448 on: June 29, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (June 17, 2010)– MONROE, MI:  Justice for Nevaeh, an association devoted to seeking Justice for Nevaeh Buchanan, a five-year old little girl who was abducted last year while playing outside her home in Monroe and brutally murdered, is hosting a free event on Wednesday, June 30thto provide information and answer questions about its Anonymous Reward Campaign.  Free Reward Posters will also be available.  The event will start at 8:00 pm at the Moose Lodge, 1320 North Macomb Street, Monroe.

Self edit--I posted the wrong release.  I edited to include the date, June 30th (this Wednesday).

Thanks.

JessStar, you are tireless.  Blessings.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1449 on: June 29, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »

Thank-you for all that you do JessStar  an angelic monkey  Just overwhelmed that Nevaeh's murderer has not been found yet  praying soon the police will have the person responsible.
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1450 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:01 AM »

"Justice for Nevaeh" hosts event in Monroe
Wednesday, June 30, 2010

They won't rest until her killer is convicted. The mystery of who killed Nevaeh Buchanan just over a year ago haunts the 5 year old's family and the Monroe community. In Monroe Wednesday night, a group called "Justice for Nevaeh" hosted an event to highlight its anonymous reward campaign.

Their anger is growing as each day goes by without a suspect. Vicky Wilson, who's a friend of the Buchanan's, says, "There's no reason for this to go on."

Dozens of people gathered at the Moose Lodge on North Macomb picking up posters to take home and distribute. The posters say: "We don't want your name, we want your information." They show Nevaeh's smiling face.

Kimberly Cundick says, "Somebody does know something. I think there's more out there and people just aren't talking."

Back in May of 2009, Nevaeh went missing from her home at the Sherwood Arms Arpartment complex. Eleven days later, two fishermen found the 5 year old's body incased in cement, buried along the banks of the River Raisin.

Christina Pillette took matters into her own hands. She and her husband moved into the home next door to one of the men identified as a person of interest by police early in the investigation. They set up surveillance recording for every move. Pillette says, "We have three cameras that we could watch him even if he was in the front, the back, the side. We could watch him at night and we could actually hear what he was saying."

The Pillette's have since moved and offer their support to the group "Justice for Nevaeh", along with her family. Nevaeh's great aunt Diana Lawson says, "I won't rest until that killer is behind bars. That's the way I feel about it."

Nevaeh's mother Jennifer Buchanan says, "We're not giving up, we keep trying everyday. We still have hope that we're going to find the person."

Their strategy is to keep Nevaeh's tragic story front and center. "That's the only way we're going to bring this case to an end and find justice for Nevaeh."

They're offering a cash reward of up to $1500 for anyone with information leading to the arrest and conviction to Nevaeh's killer. You can contact "Justice for Nevaeh" at 734-419-3232.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=7531002

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1451 on: July 01, 2010, 10:34:53 AM »

JessStar, what is your feeling on this. Do you think that finding Nevaeh's killer has taken a back seat, or are LE working diligently to find her killer? I realize there is just so much manpower and money that can be allotted for cases.
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1452 on: July 01, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »

JessStar, what is your feeling on this. Do you think that finding Nevaeh's killer has taken a back seat, or are LE working diligently to find her killer? I realize there is just so much manpower and money that can be allotted for cases.

Law enforcement continues to work very hard on this case.  The FBI is also still very involved.  It's only a matter of time until this case is solved.  Until then, Justice for Nevaeh will continue to make sure the case progresses until there's a conviction.  We will continue to hold our events, to make media appearances, to post Nevaeh's picture all over the place.  We're doing what we can to keep her name and spirit alive and to hound the living sh*t out of whomever did this to her with constant reminders of the precious little life that was taken away.  We have her photo in yards, business, on buses, banners, posters, you name it.  I'm trying to stay patient because I know these cases are very difficult to solve.  But it will be solved.  If anything, Justice for Nevaeh will see to it.

God Bless You, Nevaeh, Our Little Angel.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1453 on: July 02, 2010, 08:28:45 AM »

Thank-you JessStar that is good to hear.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1454 on: July 02, 2010, 08:12:14 PM »

Thank you for the updates.  Praying for justice for Nevaeh. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1455 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »

Police seek tips in child's 2009 abduction and slaying By Rupa Mikkilineni, Nancy Grace Producer
July 5, 2010 10:50 a.m. EDT

New York (CNN) -- Her mother named the little girl Nevaeh, "heaven" spelled backwards. Jennifer Buchanan says her daughter always was a little bit of heaven to her.

Nevaeh Buchanan was 5 when she was kidnapped on May 24 last year; her body was found in a shallow grave on June 4.

A fisherman found Nevaeh's body along the bank of the River Raisin near Monroe, Michigan, about 10 miles from the apartment she shared with her mother and grandmother.

An autopsy showed the child died of asphyxiation. According to local news reports, she was most likely buried alive, though police will not formally confirm details. They did say, however, that a material similar to cement was found on top of her body.

A year later, no one has been charged with abducting and killing Nevaeh. Her family is still waiting for answers.

Last month, on the anniversary of the child's death, an organization called Justice for Nevaeh held a rally down the street from the apartment complex where she lived. The event included games and food for children as well as karate, self-defense classes and child safety presentations.

Nevaeh was last seen the evening of May 24, playing in the U-turn driveway of her apartment complex.

"She wasn't supposed to be outside," Jennifer Buchanan said. "She was supposed to be upstairs at a neighbor's playing with her friend at their place."

Buchanan said she searched for Nevaeh after another child tattled that she was playing outside. She recalled the cold fear that gripped her when she found her daughter's tricycle abandoned at the edge of the property.

"The sun was going down. It was almost 8 p.m. so I went looking for Nevaeh, but we couldn't find her," said Buchanan, 25, who herself had recently been in trouble with the law. She had spent a few weeks in jail before being placed on probation in connection with a home invasion.

"I was in some trouble, but after I got out I focused on my daughter and getting my life back together," Buchanan said.

Nevaeh's official guardian was her grandmother, who lived in the apartment with them.

Buchanan said police told her that Nevaeh was not sexually assaulted and that no drugs were found in her system.

Police would not discuss whether the child was sexually abused, but Detective Sgt. Heath Velliquette of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said toxicology reports came back negative.

Early in the investigation, police focused on two of Buchanan's friends. Both were convicted sex offenders. The men were arrested on parole violations and questioned extensively. Neither has been officially named a suspect.

One of the men was living at a nearby motel, and police searched his room but found no forensic evidence to connect him to the child's disappearance.

Buchanan explained that she met one of the men while reporting to her probation officer. She said she had known him for two years and never left her daughter alone with him.

Nevaeh called him "Daddy George," and he brought her toys and gifts, Buchanan added. She said she knew about his past rape case, adding, "I believe people should get a second chance."

Police have since shifted their focus away from the two sex offenders.

"We are looking in a different direction in recent months, based on our investigation," said Velliquette.

Investigators are looking at another Monroe resident, but Velliquette would provide no further details.

"This is not a cold case," Velliquette said. "We are following up leads and investigating new information every day."

Police say that while they are not naming any suspects or persons of interest, investigators have not ruled anyone out either.

The FBI is offering a $20,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest of a suspect. If anyone has any information, police ask that you call their tip line at 734-457-6713.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/05/grace.coldcase.nevaeh.buchanan/

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1456 on: July 05, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »

Thanks for the update.
Prayers for Nevaeh and her family and all who continue to search for her killer.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1457 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »

Back to School Safety Event!

Justice for Nevaeh will be hosting a Back to School Safety Event on Sunday August 15, 2010 from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Riverside Early Learning Center.  The specifics of the event are still being planned, but it promises to be a fun event with free back to school supplies, coloring books, and safety literature.

Check back soon for more updates, and we hope to see you there!

http://sites.google.com/site/justicefornevaeh/back-to-school-safety-event

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1458 on: August 03, 2010, 04:19:06 PM »

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1459 on: August 03, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »

aw Jess...that's why I love ya! ^^^^^^ thanks for all you do! an angelic monkey

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.