April 26, 2024, 10:19:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nevaeh Amyah Buchanan #2 6/05/09 -  (Read 465646 times)
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #860 on: June 16, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »

Vernon Davis does sound familiar    This country needs a total revamp on how criminals are handled, probation is handled, how sentencing for certain crimes are handled, and I could go on and on. But it does me no good to go on and on, because it isn't going to change.

they showed his picture and was talking about him on JVM tonight...he is a SO too! I wish that I had paid more attention to it now! they were talking about Nevaeh...

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #861 on: June 16, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »

here is a clip from the Detroit News concerning Vernon Davis

:According to neighbors, FBI agents have twice visited the Monroe home of Vernon Davis, a 33-year-old man who was convicted in May 2007 of having sex with a minor younger than 16. Davis served no prison time for the offense, records show.

The Michigan Sex Offender Registry reports that Davis' home address is an apartment complex on Bacon near downtown Monroe. But his neighbor, 24-year-old Katherine Taormina, said Davis is never there. She said FBI agents questioned her about Davis after Nevaeh was reported missing.

"They came by here twice," Taormina said. "They asked if I'd seen him. They told us they were trying to get information about where he was when the girl disappeared. I told them I know he's supposed to be living here, but he never comes here. He usually stays down in Toledo."

JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #862 on: June 17, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »

snip

I heard on HLN yesterday a SO had raped and sodomized a 4 yr old girl and he got 1 fricking yr in jail!  I assume he probably will be out in 4-5 months for "good" behavior! then will rape again since they get such a light sentence...just a  vacation for them being in jail for that amount of time...no work...3 squares a day, roof over there heads..then after they rest up, go find some more prey in our innocent little children..Meanwhile the child who was raped has a life sentence of fear and horror reliving what happened to them...Something wrong with this picture?

edited to separate  my comments

Go get 'em citizens of Oklahoma:

Plea deal for Okla. child rapist prompts outrage

Lawmakers are calling for removal of the judge who approved the deal

AP
Two state lawmakers are questioning a plea agreement that will allow David Harold Earls, shown in a 2003 photo, to serve only one year in jail on a conviction for raping a 4-year-old girl.

updated 9:33 p.m. ET, Tues., June 16, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY - A plea deal that sent an ex-convict accused of raping a 4-year-old girl to jail for only a year has prompted outrage across Oklahoma, where lawmakers are calling for the removal of the judge who approved the deal and the attorney general is investigating a new set of abuse allegations.

Under the deal, David Harold Earls, 64, of the southeastern Oklahoma town of McAlester, pleaded no contest last month to first-degree rape and forcible sodomy. Normally, the rape charge carries a sentence of between five years to life in prison, but the deal he struck with prosecutors called for 19 years of his 20-year sentence to be suspended.

Residents have since peppered the local newspaper with e-mails and letters questioning why the sentence wasn't harsher.

"I think they should have dropped the hammer on him," said Chris Lenardo, 35, who works at a local barber shop in McAlester, a town of about 18,000 people about 120 miles southwest of Oklahoma City. "I'm still trying to figure out why he's only getting a year."

Testimony of girl had problems

Prosecutors said they only agreed to the plea bargain because the case rested largely on the testimony of the girl, now 5, who made contradictory statements during pretrial hearings. After initially testifying about the assault, she later said she couldn't remember the rape. At one point, the girl ran out of the room and down the hallway.

The case has generated more outrage as new accusations have surfaced. After Earls entered his plea, an estranged relative came forward to make a new allegation of a past rape. Although the statute of limitations likely has expired, it's possible the allegations could be used in another case against Earls if another victim comes forward, Attorney General Drew Edmondson said.

Edmondson said his office is looking at reviving a case against Earls involving the girl's brother. Those charges were dropped when the 5-year-old boy changed his story and said he couldn't recall the incident.

Such problems involving testimony from children in criminal cases aren't unusual, said Barbara Bonner, director of the Center on Child Abuse and Neglect at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

"Obviously, the criminal justice system wasn't set up to pit a 4- or 5-year-old child against an adult," Bonner said. "Particularly in cases of young children, they have very high levels of anxiety associated with the abuse. They'll do anything to avoid talking about it."

Several state lawmakers want an investigation into the actions of Pittsburg County District Judge Thomas Bartheld, who signed off on the plea deal. The Oklahoma Legislature doesn't have the power to remove a judge, but lawmakers have introduced a resolution asking that a legal process be started in which a judge can be removed by a special state court.

"My general concern is: Are the courts protecting the children?" said Rep. Mike Ritze, R-Broken Arrow. "You have a convicted felon you're looking at. You've got a (family member) that's come forward and said she was raped by him. You've got the public outcry."

Judge says he followed the law
Bartheld did not return a telephone message left Tuesday at his office, but has previously said he followed the law.

Earls previously served nearly 10 years in prison for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and was released in 2006. He was baby-sitting the two children while their mother worked a second job, but Miller said the relationship between Earls and the mother is unclear.

A telephone message left Tuesday with Earls' attorney, Tim Mills, was not returned. He had previously told The Oklahoman newspaper he thought prosecutors didn't want to risk an acquittal.

District Attorney Jim Bob Miller said Tuesday the plea deal was both necessary and accepted with the approval of the girl's family. A medical examination of the girl found evidence of a sexual assault, but no DNA evidence tying Earls to the crime.

"If the little girl freezes on the stand, we literally have nothing," Miller said. "We don't have any doubt that he did this, but the problem was proving it in court."

THE DIRTBAG:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31395402/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #863 on: June 17, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »

Oh, and once again, a sad example of a "mother" putting her young children in harms way. . .

"Earls previously served nearly 10 years in prison for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and was released in 2006. He was baby-sitting the two children while their mother worked a second job, but Miller said the relationship between Earls and the mother is unclear."

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #864 on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »

Oh, and once again, a sad example of a "mother" putting her young children in harms way. . .

"Earls previously served nearly 10 years in prison for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and was released in 2006. He was baby-sitting the two children while their mother worked a second job, but Miller said the relationship between Earls and the mother is unclear."

There are just no words anymore for all this. If I was a young single mother, I would rather not ever look at a man again, then subject my kids to such insanity. I will never understand this thinking.
Tams
Scared Monkey

« Reply #865 on: June 17, 2009, 02:07:41 PM »

There are just no words anymore for all this. If I was a young single mother, I would rather not ever look at a man again, then subject my kids to such insanity. I will never understand this thinking.

I could not agree more, Jess. And Rosie - I too find myself at a loss for words any more.

The viral spread of narcissism in our culture today has reached such epidemic proportions that it has clearly even permeated maternal judgement - which used to seem to be generally more of an instinct with mothers for their children. In our ME ME ME world of entitlement, so many 'parents' are putting their personal needs/wants even before the well being of thier children. It is frightening & sickening - and the consequences are being played out here right before our eyes on a regular basis.

What can we as concerned citizens & parents do to try to squelch the growth of this type of behavior in our country? What can we do to help educate the population? With so many wonderful and concerned monkeys pulling together, maybe we could come up with something to help? Or is it all futile because of rampant drug use? I just don't know . . . Big Heavy Sigh.

. . . But I do know that I would wholeheartedly get involved if we could come up with something . . . any ideas?
Tams
Scared Monkey

« Reply #866 on: June 17, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »

Oh - and by the way - - -

My profuse apologies if my post yesterday filled with sarcastic silliness re: JB & SB's special funeral hairdos offended anyone. Was not my intention at all to 'kick someone when they are down' - especially in their time of grief. My true character is completely the opposite of that; I am the big giant softy who will help just about anyone in need (as I am guessing are so many of us here). As with our discussion above of unbelievably poor parenting, I just feel so strongly that people like JB and SB have so very much to answer to regarding their culpibility in what happened to an innocent child who was in their care. Just so very very tired of regularly hearing of the inexcusable situations these caregivers are putting children in. Thus my use of sarcasm and low level of sympathy for them. Sorry.

I enjoy tremendously being a part of this wonderful group of kind hearted friends. Thanks for letting me be a part of the monkey cage.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #867 on: June 17, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »

Tams, sure didn't offend me 
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #868 on: June 17, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »

I could not agree more, Jess. And Rosie - I too find myself at a loss for words any more.

The viral spread of narcissism in our culture today has reached such epidemic proportions that it has clearly even permeated maternal judgement - which used to seem to be generally more of an instinct with mothers for their children. In our ME ME ME world of entitlement, so many 'parents' are putting their personal needs/wants even before the well being of thier children. It is frightening & sickening - and the consequences are being played out here right before our eyes on a regular basis.

What can we as concerned citizens & parents do to try to squelch the growth of this type of behavior in our country? What can we do to help educate the population? With so many wonderful and concerned monkeys pulling together, maybe we could come up with something to help? Or is it all futile because of rampant drug use? I just don't know . . . Big Heavy Sigh.

. . . But I do know that I would wholeheartedly get involved if we could come up with something . . . any ideas?

We need to think very creatively because you can't legislate against stupidity.  I know I've been saying this for awhile now, but I have several ideas.  I've been spending a lot of personal time on this, have been discussing many of my ideas with local focus groups, and have been getting very positive feedback.  I'm just reluctant to post anything publicly just yet.  The "naysayers" like the ideas, but then state "Good luck, you'll never get that passed" or something of that nature.  But I'm willing to try.  It all begins with numbers, though.  We need to mobilize mobilize mobilize as many people from as many different states as possible.  We won't make any progress with a trickle.  I am genuinely interested in knowing just how many people we can commit to the cause-- commit meaning they would be willing to sign their name on the dotted line of a petition or a piece of proposed legislation, take a trip to DC, meet in a focus group, and so forth.

Can I gauge everyone's interest in that?  If I were to put together a short pamphlet that summarizes the dangers facing our nation's kids, and the inadequacy of our current legal system to deal with those dangers, would you commit to using it to solicit support by emailing it or, better yet, printing it out and handing it to, coworkers, friends, relatives, neighbors, and so forth? 

I don't doubt for one minute that everyone's heart is in the right place.  But we need people who are willing to take action.  We need to become an army of sorts.

Tams
Scared Monkey

« Reply #869 on: June 17, 2009, 03:23:59 PM »

Tams, sure didn't offend me 

Thanks, Rosie.   smooch
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #870 on: June 17, 2009, 03:38:20 PM »

I will JessStar, that sounds like a very good idea. And also you can put this on the other threads as well, I think a lot of people would be willing to help in this cause.  an angelic monkey
Tams
Scared Monkey

« Reply #871 on: June 17, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »

We need to think very creatively because you can't legislate against stupidity.  I know I've been saying this for awhile now, but I have several ideas.  I've been spending a lot of personal time on this, have been discussing many of my ideas with local focus groups, and have been getting very positive feedback.  I'm just reluctant to post anything publicly just yet.  The "naysayers" like the ideas, but then state "Good luck, you'll never get that passed" or something of that nature.  But I'm willing to try.  It all begins with numbers, though.  We need to mobilize mobilize mobilize as many people from as many different states as possible.  We won't make any progress with a trickle.  I am genuinely interested in knowing just how many people we can commit to the cause-- commit meaning they would be willing to sign their name on the dotted line of a petition or a piece of proposed legislation, take a trip to DC, meet in a focus group, and so forth.

Can I gauge everyone's interest in that?  If I were to put together a short pamphlet that summarizes the dangers facing our nation's kids, and the inadequacy of our current legal system to deal with those dangers, would you commit to using it to solicit support by emailing it or, better yet, printing it out and handing it to, coworkers, friends, relatives, neighbors, and so forth? 

I don't doubt for one minute that everyone's heart is in the right place.  But we need people who are willing to take action.  We need to become an army of sorts.

Jess -

You are fantastic. We are lucky to have such a leader among us here. And a lawyer, too!

Yes, I would be willing to get very involved. It has been on my mind constantly that I want to do something meaningful about this epidemic and try to help our nation's children. I am at a point in my life where my son is grown, I am on my own, and I want to get involved. Yes, I would sign on the dotted line.

Gathering people of many skills would be beneficial in getting such an idea up and running, I would think. My background is in digital design and photography, and I would absolutely love to volunteer my efforts. Layout of a pamphlet, posters, etc.; if a name for the cause needs a logo, I would be happy to submit ideas for such that can be used as a visual for promotion. Please let me know how I can get involved & get in touch with you.

Thank you, Jess!
canadianmonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #872 on: June 17, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »

I will JessStar, that sounds like a very good idea. And also you can put this on the other threads as well, I think a lot of people would be willing to help in this cause.  an angelic monkey

I think Traceygirl started a thread about legislation.

I think it's a good idea.  I would be willing to sign petitions but being in Canada I'm not sure how much good my signature would do.   
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #873 on: June 17, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »

I will crosspost.  That's a great idea Rosey.  The more exposure, the better.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #874 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »

Jess -

You are fantastic. We are lucky to have such a leader among us here. And a lawyer, too!

Yes, I would be willing to get very involved. It has been on my mind constantly that I want to do something meaningful about this epidemic and try to help our nation's children. I am at a point in my life where my son is grown, I am on my own, and I want to get involved. Yes, I would sign on the dotted line.

Gathering people of many skills would be beneficial in getting such an idea up and running, I would think. My background is in digital design and photography, and I would absolutely love to volunteer my efforts. Layout of a pamphlet, posters, etc.; if a name for the cause needs a logo, I would be happy to submit ideas for such that can be used as a visual for promotion. Please let me know how I can get involved & get in touch with you.

Thank you, Jess!

Thanks, Tams.  And thanks for the kind words.  The source of my motivation is simple--I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.  God has given me the gift of advocacy.  I can't think of a better use of that skill.  I will take you up on your offer-digital design is far from one of my strong points!  We can work together on it.

Klaas, can you please send Tams my email address so that we can communicate?  THANKS!  

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #875 on: June 17, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »

Jess -

Thank you, Jess!

Thanks, Tams.  And thanks for the kind words.  The source of my motivation is simple--I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.  God has given me the gift of advocacy.  I can't think of a better use of that skill.  I will take you up on your offer-digital design is far from one of my strong points!  We can work together on it.

Klaas, can you please send Tams my email address so that we can communicate?  THANKS!  

Sorry, did something wrong there.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #876 on: June 17, 2009, 04:55:08 PM »

IT happened again.  Geez. . 

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #877 on: June 17, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »

I whole heartedly agree.  Unfortunately the issue is deeper.  If there was a one strike rule then these creatures would not be in a postion to be near children in the first place.  I am just as mad or even madder at the judicial system for allowing these animals back on the streets.  It has been proven time and yet again that they can not be rehabilitated.  It has been proven yet and time again that probation does not work.  If they can truly not be held out of society then part of the sentencing must include some non-removable means of visually identifying them even before they hit the jail cell.  A glow in the dark flaming orange tattoo across the forehead would work for me. Sentence, tattoo, booking, jail. 
Momof7kids
Scared Monkey

« Reply #878 on: June 17, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »

Welcome fellow Monkeys
I was reading your posts on the petition and it sounds like a great idea. If I could do anything without leaving that would be great! I have 3 children and a husband at home that would probably frown on that idea but I did send the plea to our state legislature on the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act and I got 2 replys back. One from Carl Levin and one from Debbie Stabenow from Michigan and they said they are working on child safety issues and what I wrote they will take into consideration, so that looks good huh!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #879 on: June 17, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »

Don't miss Dana Pretzer tonight.
www.scaredmonkeysradio.com

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.