April 23, 2024, 02:26:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My friend Erin's Cat - HELP PLEASE  (Read 6024 times)
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 11, 2006, 08:14:09 PM »

Erin's kitty went to jump in the window sill and then howled in pain.  He did something to his hind leg... he can not put any weight on it and she said that it seems that he can't even feel it any more.  

He can't walk on it still and it is the back part of his hind leg where they use that part of the foot to push off on...

anyone have any ideas of what's happened?

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 08:25:44 PM »

Not a clue, Mrs., but has she taken kitty to a vet yet?

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:10:16 PM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
Erin's kitty went to jump in the window sill and then howled in pain.  He did something to his hind leg... he can not put any weight on it and she said that it seems that he can't even feel it any more.  

He can't walk on it still and it is the back part of his hind leg where they use that part of the foot to push off on...

anyone have any ideas of what's happened?

Sounds like a nerve if he has no feeling in it.  When you think about how high these little critters can jump (relative to their own height), they've got some really strong muscles there - even when my cat hurt her leg and limped she could jump two or more times her height.  So if it's just one part of his leg, I'm thinking pinched nerve or something, not a pulled muscle or stroke.  Off to the vet  Arrow

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 01:09:19 PM »

Depending on the age of the cat, it could be something in the pads of the paw, nerve injury as LilPuma stated, or arthritis of some sort.  If the leg is being favored, it could be anything from the hip to the paw.  Hope she does bring him to the vet if it doesn't heal on it's own.  I checked in on friend's male cat yesterday while they are traveling this weekend, because he's 14 and has hind leg difficulties.  A steroid shot given by the vet on this past Thursday seemed to exacerbate his walking ability.  (that's why I brought up the age factor, because cats cannot tolerate the glucosomine chondroitin compounds like dogs can...supposedly affects their liver)

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 05:25:13 PM »

Quote from: "2NJSons_Mom"
Depending on the age of the cat, it could be something in the pads of the paw, nerve injury as LilPuma stated, or arthritis of some sort.  If the leg is being favored, it could be anything from the hip to the paw.  Hope she does bring him to the vet if it doesn't heal on it's own.  I checked in on friend's male cat yesterday while they are traveling this weekend, because he's 14 and has hind leg difficulties.  A steroid shot given by the vet on this past Thursday seemed to exacerbate his walking ability.  (that's why I brought up the age factor, because cats cannot tolerate the glucosomine chondroitin compounds like dogs can...supposedly affects their liver)

Speaking of damage to the liver, Tylenol is poisonous to cats.  I think most know this already, but always worth mentioning just in case someone doesn't.

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 06:17:43 PM »

Maybe the cat dislocated it's leg at the hip?
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 01:01:07 AM »

Hello Mrs. Red,

I'm praying for Erin's cat.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 09:15:51 PM »

Thanks LV... and everyone praying for Erin's cat...

She did take him to the vet, and they haven't a clue... they took x-rays and nothing is broken.  I won't see her again until Friday and I will update y'all then.... I suggested that she get him adjusted in case it was a pinched nerve, but she didn't like that idea... I am must worried about him...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 01:05:03 AM »

Mrs. Red,

I'd like to suggest that Erin take her cat to another Vet or Vet(s) for a second and/or third opinion. I know all these tests cost a lot of money but it's well worth it to find the problem ASAP.

The best bet is to see the Vet.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 09:17:58 PM »

I hope kitty is feeling better.......in the interm this might give you all a chuckle.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-430403896955684776&q=funny&hl=en

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.