March 19, 2024, 02:26:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber Leeanne Dubois #2 (remains found 3/6/10) 1/15/10 - 7/3/13  (Read 565617 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1440 on: March 29, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »

an angelic monkey

an angelic monkey

an angelic monkey
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1441 on: March 29, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »

Slain Teenager Amber Dubois Remembered

ESCONDIDO- A 14 year old girl whose bones were discovered more than a year after she was reported missing was remembered in a tribute Saturday.

More than 1,000 people gathered on the track field at Escondido High School where Amber Dubois attended to reminisce about the girl with teachers and friends.

Amber's bones were discovered March 6 in a rugged, remote area in Pala, north of San Diego. She was apparently kidnapped and slain as she was walking to school Feb. 13, 2009. The girl was reportedly carrying a $200 check to purchase a lamb she was to raise for Future Farmers of America.

Amber is remembered as an avid reader with a strong imagination and a profound love for animals. A llama, a parrot, a monkey, a snake, and Amber's favorite animal- a wolf- were all on hand at the tribute.

At the end of the ceremony, Amber's father stood in front of the mourners with the parents of three other California girls who had been kidnapped and killed, including the parents of Chelsea King, a 17-year-old whose body was found five days after she was last seen running Feb. 25 in a San Diego park.

Maurice Dubois, with the Kings and the other grieving parents, urged anyone who cried for Amber's death to demand a crackdown on child predators with tougher laws and enforcement.

John Albert Gardner III, who has pleaded not guilty in the murder of Chelsea King, is the only suspect police have named in Amber's killing. He has not been charged and police have not announced what led them to find Amber's remains.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-amber-dubois-memorial,0,3672710.story
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1442 on: March 29, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »

Friends, family promise to never forget Amber Dubois at service

Amber Dubois was a patient, compassionate, creative bookworm, with a vivid imagination and a love for animals, said the girl’s family, friends and teachers at a public memorial Saturday.

She’d sneak a book under her desk and read during lessons. She immersed herself in fantasy, loved the “Twilight” series and was adamantly a part of “Team Jacob.”

She loved to draw, especially wolves, her favorite animal.

She was active in her school’s agricultural science department. And the day she went missing, Feb. 13, 2009, she was on her way to school to buy a lamb she planned to raise with the Future Farmers of America club.

The 14-year-old blue-eyed Escondido girl was remembered at a public memorial at the Escondido High School stadium. After missing for more than a year, her remains were found near a Pala Reservation on March 6. Investigators have said little about the case.

More than 1,500 people attended the service, which was upbeat at times. A band played Guns N’ Roses, Journey and Fleetwood Mac songs, and speakers shared funny stories. A video played with Amber singing off-key, and a photo slideshow showed the girl making silly faces and standing in the rain, catching raindrops with her tongue.

And at times, the service was heart wrenching. Speakers choked up and cried, and recalled Amber’s warm personality and quirks.

Taylor Doyle, a family friend, said one of her favorite memories with Amber was the homecoming dance. Amber didn’t care for makeup and didn’t like to dress up, but Taylor and a friend made her dress up. Taylor said Amber’s “radiance and beauty” shined that night.

“Amber and I were supposed to go to college together,” Taylor said. “We wanted to have a friendship like [our moms] have. [And] once we graduated … I hoped to have kids, and raise them together with her. Now I’m robbed … We were supposed to be friends forever.”

Taylor said she was overwhelmed by the number of people who attended the memorial and that Amber would “never be forgotten.”

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-03-27/local-county-news/friends-family-promise-to-never-forget-amber-dubois-at-service
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1443 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »

Murder Victim Amber Dubois Remembered at Escondido High School

ESCONDIDO - Those who knew and loved Amber Dubois celebrated her love of animals -- especially wolves -- books and friends at a memorial for the slain 14-year-old today at Escondido High School.

Nearly 500 mourners, seated in chairs and grandstand benches, gathered under 80-degree sunny skies for the 1 p.m. ceremony at a football stadium decked out in flowers and blue ribbons.

The child had been carrying a check for $200 to buy a lamb for a 4-H project when she disappeared Feb. 13, 2009, while she was walking to school. A sheep brought to the memorial bleated during the second outdoor memorial service for slain San Diego County girls in two weeks.

Her father, Maurice Dubois, challenged "everyone who has ever shed atear for Amber'' and other slain children to take action to strengthen and enforce laws against sex offenders.

"We need to protect the children we have left,'' Dubois said.

MORE....

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Murder-Victim-Amber-Dubois-Remembered-at/Cq6-8lEDXUOPkjRQfOww5w.cspx
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1444 on: March 29, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »

Klaas urges audience to "hold politicians accountable"

Lost child advocate Marc Klaas said he knew the event wasn't supposed to be sad but that his heart was "breaking" at the memorial service for Amber Dubois.

He urged the audience to "hold our politicians accountable" in working to prevent similar cases in the future. "We can’t continue to let them get away with this," Klaas said.

He said the laws are in place but need to be funded and enforced.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/amber-dubois-memorial-service/2010/mar/27/klass-urges-audience-hold-politicians-accountable/
Ampersand
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1445 on: March 29, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »

This is very beautifully done - I thought you'd like to see it...

http://vimeo.com/10514820

~Thank you for helping to break through the darkness by being one of the lights that will bring our Amber home~  www.AmberLeeanneDubois.com
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1446 on: March 29, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »

Thank You Ampersand.. What a beautiful child.
Somebody with some unique talents produced a beautiful video to celebrate Amber's life.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1447 on: March 29, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »

Amber Dubois Memorial Video from Wayne Brubaker on Vimeo.

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1448 on: March 29, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »

best video I've ever seen, better than any home video I've tried to make, there are lot of good memories of Amber in this video. Thanks for sharing them!

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1449 on: March 29, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »

Thank you for sharing that special video of Amber. 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1450 on: March 29, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/29/sex-offender-board-lacks-resources/
Shortfalls hinder oversight of sex offenders
Group reviewing how state handled parole short on staff, budget

Monday, March 29, 2010

The board that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger picked to review the state’s handling of convicted sex offender John Albert Gardner III’s parole has no budget, barely any staff and a history of attendance problems.

The 17-seat Sex Offender Management Board lacks a chairman and didn’t even manage a quorum this month at the first meeting to discuss its new mission.

Two of the eight members who showed up were officials from the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation — the agency under scrutiny for destroying some of Gardner’s parole documents and allowing him to stay on the streets despite seven parole violations in 2007 and 2008. He now stands accused of killing Chelsea King, 17, of Poway.

Former Assemblyman Todd Spitzer said the board he helped create in 2006 has been neutered and neglected and is not equipped for the Gardner review because of its lack of subpoena power and its core of corrections officials.

“Instead of being members, they need to be witnesses,” said Spitzer, a former prison oversight committee chairman who is now an Orange County assistant district attorney.

Members acknowledged their limitations but said their mission will be accomplished. They just don’t know when.

“If you say where in California is the best locus of expertise, it’s the Sex Offender Management Board,” said Tom Tobin, the board’s vice chairman and a San Francisco psychologist. “We have the expertise, but not the resources, staff, power and ability to devote the energy to do something like this in a very rapid way.”

Tobin has told the governor’s office that the review should be complete by May 1, but other members said that might be optimistic because they are all volunteers with full-time jobs.

Corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton said Friday that the department will fully cooperate with board requests for staff participation and testimony but the department’s two members would not recuse themselves from the review. She said the board’s makeup makes it “uniquely equipped” to offer a balanced view of the department.

Corrections officials have agreed to pay board members’ travel costs for two meetings in April — roughly $2,000 — but made no commitments beyond that, Tobin said.

The failure of a department with a $13.1 billion budget to do more frustrates board member Jerry Powers, the chief probation officer for Stanislaus County.

“In an organization the size of the state of California and the size of the Department of Corrections, I have a hard time believing that you can’t come up with the money to do this in the most effective way,” he said.

Gardner spent five years in prison for molesting and beating a 13-year-old Rancho Bernardo neighbor in 2000. He spent three years on parole and remained free despite multiple violations, the most serious of which was living too close to three schools in Mira Mesa.

He is accused of raping and killing Chelsea after she went for a run at Rancho Bernardo Community Park last month. He is also under investigation in the death of Amber Dubois, 14, of Escondido.

In response to media requests, corrections officials released documents from Gardner’s file showing he violated parole but was not sent back to prison. If he had been, he would have been subject to stricter post-release supervision under Jessica’s Law, which was approved by voters in 2006.

Schwarzenegger ordered the low-profile board on March 12 to review the high-profile Gardner case and recommend parolee policy changes. On Friday, a Schwarzenegger spokeswoman reiterated his support for the board and said he would replace appointees who keep missing meetings, and get the board more staff and money if it asks for it.

The governor was focused on other priorities as the board grappled with logistical issues this past year.

• Five of the governor’s original six appointees missed at least four meetings in a 12-month span, which could have triggered removal, but no action was taken. Four of them missed at least 12 of the first 28 meetings.

• Corrections official Scott Kernan missed nine meetings; his predecessor on the board missed four; neither was removed for excessive absences. Lee Seale, the corrections department’s deputy chief of staff, has since replaced Kernan and attended the March 15 meeting.

• The board has operated without a budget since July and nearly had to cancel a meeting in August because there wasn’t money to cover travel costs. Two meetings were canceled in 2008 for similar reasons. The March meeting was held via videoconference at corrections facilities in Sacramento, Oakland and Glendale to cut costs.

• The board, which once had four staff members, now has one part-timer from the corrections department. He can work only 960 hours a year, or about 18.5 hours a week.

On Thursday, The San Diego Union-Tribune inquired about three empty seats on the board. That night, Schwarzenegger appointed one board member. But on Friday, one of his original appointees resigned, leaving the same number of empty seats for the governor to fill — two.

A third vacancy has never been filled by the Assembly Speaker’s Office, despite repeated requests to do so over the years by the Sex Offender Management Board.

The board is made up of experts from state government, law enforcement, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, probation officers, mental health professionals, victims’ advocates and city and county administrators.

It was supposed to disband after completing a comprehensive state plan for sex offender management earlier this year, but the Legislature made it permanent.

Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Rachel Arrezola said the board’s charge remains making communities safer by reviewing sex offender policy and specific cases like Gardner’s.

She said that under state law, corrections officials are part of a diverse team being asked to handle both tasks.

Specifically, Schwarzenegger has asked the board to examine why Gardner was not classified as a high-risk offender upon his release from prison in 2005; whether his parole residency restrictions were appropriate and appropriately enforced; and whether parole violations were handled according to state policy and law

“The goal here is to look at this case and learn from this case,” Arrezola said. “The governor is not saying that this is the panacea for all things … He encourages and welcomes the Legislature and others to review the case as well.”

Legislators have already begun questioning corrections officials at public hearings. The Office of the Inspector General has begun a probe, and the corrections department is undertaking an internal review.

Jack Wallace, the board coordinator employed by the corrections department, said the board has an open mind.

“We want things that are going to work and make people safe and hopefully won’t result in wasted time and wasted money,” he said.

Board members said they’ll do the best they can.

“The more impartial, professional eyes you have looking at this, the better,” Powers said. “The governor’s asked some pretty broad questions of us, and I don’t think any of us are interested in giving yes-or-no answers.”

He added: “I guess I’d ask that you reserve judgment until you see what we have to say.”

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1451 on: March 29, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »

Politics aside for a moment..

Was Escondido police department restricted from searching Gardner's home and vehicle when Amber went missing ?? Would it have been legal for them to do that ?

When it was established where the cell phone pinged was Escondido police restricted from invading every registered sex offender within that zone ??

Would they have found evidence on Amber ?

Would Chelsea be alive today ?

Very important question in hindsight..

These are the questions being avoided..
The political circus wants to focus on the big picture.
I want to focus closer to the real problem.

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1452 on: March 29, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »

Politics aside for a moment..

Was Escondido police department restricted from searching Gardner's home and vehicle when Amber went missing ?? Would it have been legal for them to do that ?

When it was established where the cell phone pinged was Escondido police restricted from invading every registered sex offender within that zone ??

Would they have found evidence on Amber ?

Would Chelsea be alive today ?

Very important question in hindsight..

These are the questions being avoided..
The political circus wants to focus on the big picture.
I want to focus closer to the real problem.

If I were a cop in that area, or the detective, I would have had something called probable cause to contact every sex offender within that area of the cell phone ping. I wouldn't need a search warrant if all I wanted to do was make a conversation with the sex offender and then come in with a SAR (search and rescue dog) or what animal they use to find missing people (dead or alive). I guess I would be a pretty rogue doing that but I wouldn't care much, it would be a sex offenders word against a cop. So if getting sued is an issue, I doubt it would have been. I think the escondido cops have rules they have to follow per departmental policy (to protect the integrity of the investigation...), maybe they just weren't thinking about a sex offender having taken Amber and so forth, or they were relying too much on the private investigators to do that kind of work. Maybe the cops were waiting for something else. OR Maybe they had no experience like this before, having a 14 year old disappear without any evidentiary clue to where she could be. When I heard about Amber going missing I was confused too, how can a 14- year old girl just disappear on her way to school without anybody noticing? This has been one of the most disturbing missing persons cases, I haven't looked into other cases but this is one that has made everyone rethink what to teach their kids about strangers and walking by themselves. To answer your post Edward, the police should have questioned or searched and seizure every single sex offender in that area if they knew about Amber's cell phone ping. That was critical evidence. I agree that more could have been done, maybe the cops weren't trained to handle the situation as such, maybe all they needed was to use their textbook training which was to search the sex offenders cars and seize items like underwear (how many actually do their own laundry?), pants, anything that looked suspicious, even vehicles by looking at one (making sure it is theirs) or noting a lack of a vehicle (maybe the offender abandoned his vehicle somewhere)...or making sure they are registered to live in that area--some of the things I would think are normally checked on when looking at a sex offender.

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1453 on: March 29, 2010, 05:49:22 PM »

The law needs to be changed.

When somebody is convicted of a violent sexual attack, even after release they should Never  be FREE.
 That any sex offender can have his residence and vehicle searched at any time when a crime has occurred in his area.

IF I am wrong please correct me.
I do believe Escondido police were feeling restricted from performing a roust on sex offenders in Escondido. Because they have certain citizen rights once released into the public.

There are many types of sex offenders..what I am referring to is..
Convicted of VIOLENT Sex Crimes..
These people should have no right to privacy even after release.

jmho

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1454 on: March 29, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »

Thank you so much Ambersand for posting this for us. Such a beautiful video of your neices life. I can tell from some of the pics she had fun loving side to her. I love the pics during the song "girls just want to have fun" so funny and cute. Her friends really had some very nice things to say about her. Again, thank you for posting this.
ArmChairAnalysist
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1455 on: March 29, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »

We need immediate solutions for the big picture. The burdon should be placed on the Sex Offender (he committed the crime)

1. All sex offenders should be required to report to there city police Dept and pay an annual $50.00 fee to live in that city. All fee's would go to the state earmarked for Sex offender monies. If sex offenders do not pay the $50.00 per year to live in a city in California, they can move to a city that does not have such a good climate (North Dakota) and does not require a fee.

I wonder if the State of California can purchase some land in Dakota farm country and send the sex offenders to live and work on the farm. It would be up to the Sex Offenders to make it a profitable working farm. They would pay royalties to the State of California.

2. His drivers license should be coded with SO. If he drives a car lic. plates should always start with the letters SO or even better be orange in color.

3. Sex offenders should have to re-new dirvers lic. every year.

The sex offender should be made to pay (financially) for what he has done. He put the monkey on his back, he should be the one who pays to feed the monkey. The people are always the ones who pay.
piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1456 on: March 29, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »

armchair those are some good ideas, don't forget higher car insurance premiums.

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1457 on: March 29, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »

I wonder if charging sex offenders money is going to help, the rich ones like the man who directed "The Piano" wouldn't have a problem, he has a limo driver, and you can't require them to donate blood either because some have std's or other medical problems that can stop them from doing labor like farming, such as a bad knee or arthritis..what other options are there besides jail, volunteering at homeless shelters, the violent sex offenders would be good at going to war, training them would be hard work. Maybe educating sex offenders about their illness and having group sessions be mandatory 5 times a week, 8 hours a day. I've never seen a movie or heard about a book based on a sex offender, or a life of one, is it a taboo not to talk about this sort of thing?

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1458 on: March 29, 2010, 11:46:10 PM »

either way you are right Arm, the SO's need to pay, whether it is the victims and/or the entire state, maybe they should have to pay judicial taxes or some special tax for their crimes, people who aren't in jail have to pay taxes, but criminals  in jail don't have to pay taxes, it should be the opposite.

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1459 on: March 30, 2010, 11:01:40 PM »

Reporter interviews Gardner's roommate who is also a sex offender, states "Gardner was living out of his truck on the streets of North County"..."had every opportunity to do it..." I guess he Gardner hated living with his mom so much he rather live out of his truck, that could explain some of the extra mileage. Maybe that is how he saved money by not paying rent or mortgage. He was living like he was homeless or a transient...??
http://www.webcastr.com/videos/news/gardner-was-on-downward-spiral-roommate.html

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.