March 29, 2024, 08:15:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber Leeanne Dubois #2 (remains found 3/6/10) 1/15/10 - 7/3/13  (Read 567062 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1180 on: March 10, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »

'Chelsea's Law' Could Track Sex Offenders Via GPS
Death of Chelsea King Prompts Lawmaker to Overhaul Laws Monitoring Predators

Known sex offenders should be outfitted with GPS devices that would track their movements and immediately alert police if predators travelled to restricted areas near schools or parks, a California lawmaker told ABC News.com.

Following the alleged rape and murder of 17-year-old high school student Chelsea King by convicted sex offender John Albert Gardner III, Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, R- San Diego, called for a complete review of California laws intended to monitor known offenders.

Fletcher said California law requires sex offenders to register where they live, but not where they go. Police in the nearby towns of Escondido and Rancho Bernardo are working to determine if in Gardner's routine travels between his residence and his mother's home he attempted to abduct girls along the way.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/TheLaw/chelseas-law-track-sex-offenders-gps/story?id=10063652
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1181 on: March 10, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »

Sorry, that last post should say MORE.....
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1182 on: March 10, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »

Well thats good, he should have never been given a job that takes him around kids, that is common sense.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1183 on: March 10, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »

Players to wear orange ribbons in memory of murdered teens

Charley Hoffman didn't know Chelsea King or anyone in her family.

He grew up in Poway, Calif., though. He even went to the same high school as the 17-year-old who was found raped and murdered last week.

John Mallinger's hometown of Escondido, Calif., was ripped apart by a starkly similar tragedy when the remains of 14-year-old Amber Dubois were found on a hillside four days after King's body was discovered. The same convicted sex offender is suspected in both deaths.

The horrific events have captured the attention of a nation and traumatized the communities where Hoffman and Mallinger were raised. Both are far away this week, competing in the Puerto Rico Open presented by Banco Popular, but they wanted to do something to honor the victims and their families.

So both Hoffman and Mallinger will be wearing orange ribbons this week as they compete. They have recruited other players from California to do the same in Puerto Rico and at the World Golf Championships-CA Championship, as well.

"I was down in San Diego doing some golf stuff (last) Tuesday when she was found. It sort of hit home," Hoffman said. "I didn't realize how close it was. I mean, I grew up fishing there at Lake Hodges where her body was found. I've walked those paths.

"You never really think of something like that happening in your hometown. ... We're just trying to show support of her and try to keep her spirit going with the orange ribbon this week. I didn't know her -- didn't know anything about her. ... But you grew up there.You grew up doing the exact same things she did.

"You don't want to see kids stop running and going around fishing and going around the lake. You just want these guys who have done this stuff to obviously be caught. Hopefully somehow this will stop the predators by people being more aware of the situation."

Escondido, where Mallinger grew up, is about 15 miles north of Poway. Like Hoffman, he spent time at Lake Hodges with his family when he was younger. He knows how the community is grieving.

"Coming from that area, it kind of hits everyone hard,'" Mallinger said. "I've been on that lake, fishing a lot with my family, and to hear that happen is just tragic. ... Hopefully the community can come together and show their support. That's something we're doing this week with the orange ribbons show support for her and our community and her family."

http://www.pgatour.com/2010/r/03/10/orangeribbons/
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1184 on: March 10, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »

Sex offender with letter carrier job reassigned

LOS ANGELES -- A Southern California letter carrier who is a registered sex offender has been reassigned after concerns were raised that he was delivering mail in an area with many children.

Postal Service spokeswoman Eva Jackson said Wednesday that Dana Kennette is now in a job that does not deal with the public. Kennette had been delivering mail in the Rancho Bernardo area of San Diego, where he lives.

The Megan's Law Web site says he was convicted of lewd or lascivious acts on a child under 14. There is no telephone listing for Kennette.

Concern is high in the San Diego area after a sex offender was charged last week with murdering 17-year-old Chelsea King. Police are also investigating the death of 14-year-old Amber Dubois of nearby Escondido, whose remains were found over the weekend.

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1110ap_us_postal_sex_offender.html

thanks.perhaps our letters to the white house did some good.....j/k

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1185 on: March 10, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »

NR, thank you for all the updates you bring here and to other threads....it is really appreciated!!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1186 on: March 10, 2010, 07:12:06 PM »

NR, thank you for all the updates you bring here and to other threads....it is really appreciated!!
DITTO

NR you are outstanding

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1187 on: March 10, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »

Sex offender with letter carrier job reassigned

LOS ANGELES -- A Southern California letter carrier who is a registered sex offender has been reassigned after concerns were raised that he was delivering mail in an area with many children.

Postal Service spokeswoman Eva Jackson said Wednesday that Dana Kennette is now in a job that does not deal with the public. Kennette had been delivering mail in the Rancho Bernardo area of San Diego, where he lives.

The Megan's Law Web site says he was convicted of lewd or lascivious acts on a child under 14. There is no telephone listing for Kennette.

Concern is high in the San Diego area after a sex offender was charged last week with murdering 17-year-old Chelsea King. Police are also investigating the death of 14-year-old Amber Dubois of nearby Escondido, whose remains were found over the weekend.

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1110ap_us_postal_sex_offender.html

thanks.perhaps our letters to the white house did some good.....j/k
Excellent
ChiChi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1188 on: March 10, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »

TIA = thanks in advance 

Got it ~ Thanks Klaas

~ Repeated history is forgotten history.  Let us not forget ~

RIP: Natalee, Caylee, Sandra, Chelsea and Amber
ChiChi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1189 on: March 10, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »

FAIR OAKS, Calif. -- The Sacramento County Sheriff's Department has arrested a sexually violent predator who has been has been seen on the Del Campo High School campus twice in the past week.

Hugh Levell Stewart, 55, was arrested at his home in Fair Oaks Wednesday afternoon, deputies said.

Authorities had earlier linked Stewart to three sexual assaults near the campus, but later said he appeared to not be connected to the attacks.

The department said earlier in the day that Stewart is categorized as a sexually violent predator based on his prior convictions for crimes against children, rape, sexual penetration with a foreign object, and for being a mentally disordered sex offender.

Sacramento County Sheriff's Department
Hugh Levell Stewart

The announcement about Stewart came a day after investigators released a sketch of a man being sought in connection with three assaults near the campus.

Investigators said all three incidents involved 15-year-old girls who were walking to Del Campo High School.

The first incident was reported Jan. 28, the second was reported Feb. 5, and the third was reported March 3.

In all three cases, deputies said, the victims were touched inappropriately. Afterward, the attacker fled the scene.

MORE http://www.kcra.com/news/22801799/detail.html?treets=sac&tml=sac_break&ts=T&tmi=sac_break_1_06030103102010

Once again, GPS is required... I'm thinking microchips personally.  GPS can be tampered with.

~ Repeated history is forgotten history.  Let us not forget ~

RIP: Natalee, Caylee, Sandra, Chelsea and Amber
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1190 on: March 10, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »

FAIR OAKS, Calif. -- The Sacramento County Sheriff's Department has arrested a sexually violent predator who has been has been seen on the Del Campo High School campus twice in the past week.

Hugh Levell Stewart, 55, was arrested at his home in Fair Oaks Wednesday afternoon, deputies said.

Authorities had earlier linked Stewart to three sexual assaults near the campus, but later said he appeared to not be connected to the attacks.

The department said earlier in the day that Stewart is categorized as a sexually violent predator based on his prior convictions for crimes against children, rape, sexual penetration with a foreign object, and for being a mentally disordered sex offender.

Hugh Levell Stewart

The announcement about Stewart came a day after investigators released a sketch of a man being sought in connection with three assaults near the campus.

Investigators said all three incidents involved 15-year-old girls who were walking to Del Campo High School.

The first incident was reported Jan. 28, the second was reported Feb. 5, and the third was reported March 3.

In all three cases, deputies said, the victims were touched inappropriately. Afterward, the attacker fled the scene.

MORE http://www.kcra.com/news/22801799/detail.html?treets=sac&tml=sac_break&ts=T&tmi=sac_break_1_06030103102010

Once again, GPS is required... I'm thinking microchips personally.  GPS can be tampered with.

I vote to brand "PREDATOR" across their forehead in Bold Black Letters.

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #1191 on: March 10, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »

Hugh Levell Stewart

I vote to brand "PREDATOR" across their forehead in Bold Black Letters.

Big RED letters - like the scarlet letter.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1192 on: March 10, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »

Does anyone have information if the family is planning any arrangments? I would like to send flowers so if that information can be posted or emailed to me I would really appreciate it. 

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1193 on: March 10, 2010, 10:02:36 PM »

DITTO

NR you are outstanding

Ditto 
Ditto 

It has been heartwarming to me to have the monkeys throughout this horrible ordeal  So many kind hearted people, you know who you are. 

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1194 on: March 10, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »

San Diego's dark history of child abductions

SAN DIEGO, Calif. (CBS Cool - Sadly, Chelsea King and Amber Dubois are not the only victims of child abductions in San Diego. There have been nearly two dozen cases over the past 50 years, which means there are people out there capable of harming our children.

After searching through News 8 archives, it didn't take us too long to find San Diego's dark history of child abductions, including many that ended in death.

February 6, 1977

A six-year-old Golden Hill Boy, Jose Luis Ramirez is reported missing. Two days later, his nude body is found by searchers in a nearby park. Robert McFarlane, 34, a convicted child molester, pleaded guilty to the child's slaying and was sentenced to life in prison.

July 5, 1978

Two 16-year-old boys, John Mayeski and Michael Baker, were kidnapped from the parking lot of a Mira Mesa Jack in the Box and shot to death. Eleven years later, Robert Alton Harris was convicted, sentenced to death and executed in 1992 for their murders. Michael's dad, San Diego police Detective Steven Baker actually arrested Harris before he discovered one of the victims was his son.

April 10, 1986

RickieAnn Blake, 14, was last seen in her Chula Vista home April 10, 1986. She was found 24 hours later, strangled to death along an exit ramp on Interstate 15. In 2006, George Williams was sentenced to death for her kidnapping, rape and murder.

August 5, 1988

After failing to return from a friend's Pacific Beach house, seven-year-old Charitie Angelique Careins' mother reports her missing. In June 1989, hikers in a canyon near Beaumont find a small skull with a jaw and teeth that were determined to be Charitie's. Her killer was never brought to justice.

December 16, 1989

A seven-year-old Oceanside girl, Leticia Hernandez, disappears while playing in front of her house. Dozens of officers and more than 200 volunteers search for her. The FBI checks hundreds of reported sightings from coast to coast. Oceanside police Detective Chris McDonough writes a song about the crime.

Her skull was found March 9, 1991 by a ranch caretaker near the Riverside County line. She had been dead about a year. Detectives focused on a neighbor as a possible suspect, but no arrest was made.

June 19, 1991

Nine-year-old Laura Arroyo of Chula Vista answers the door and vanishes. The next day her body was found three miles away in an industrial park. The child had been beaten and stabbed. In 2005, Manuel Bracamontes was sentenced to death for Laura's kidnapping, molestation and murder.

July 15, 1991

Rasheeyda Wilson told her mom she was going to play outside the Yale Hotel where they lived in downtown San Diego. The nine-year-old disappeared and despite a major search for days by officers and volunteers, she has never been found.

October 3, 1991

Nine-year-old Amanda Gaeke of North Park never comes home after a bike ride. Her body is found five days later in a canyon near her house. In May 1996, David Webb-Kim is arrested for her murder. When he was 16, he got Amanda to come to his home, where he drugged, raped and hid her under his bed while he went to school. Kim was sentenced to life in prison.

March 27, 1993

Charlie Keever, 13, and Jonathan Sellers, 9, were riding their bikes in Imperial Beach. Two days later their bodies were discovered near the Otay River. In 2003, Scott Thomas Erskine was convicted of their killings.

February 2, 2002

Seven-year-old Danielle Van Dam is reported missing from her Sabre Springs bedroom by her parents. Volunteer searchers find her body under a tree near Dehesa 25 days later. Her neighbor David Westerfield is on death row for her murder.

April 25, 2002

With his stepfather Tieray Jones allegedly nearby, two-year-old Jahi Turner vanishes from a playground near Balboa Park. Despite a massive search, including one at the Miramar Landfill, Jahi has never been found. San Diego police are convinced that Jahi is dead, but they do not have enough evidence to file charges against anyone in connection with his disappearance.

Even after several years, many of these unsolved mysteries are still being looked into by members of local law enforcement cold case units.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12120578
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1195 on: March 10, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »

Does anyone have information if the family is planning any arrangments? I would like to send flowers so if that information can be posted or emailed to me I would really appreciate it. 

I remember the news saying Ambers family would have a private memorial service. If they gave a date and or time, I do not recall. I will let you know if I hear anything.

There is a public memorial service for Chelsea this weekend at Poway HS. The football field holds seating for 5,000 and they expect an overflow crowd. They are planning shuttle service.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1196 on: March 11, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »

I remember the news saying Ambers family would have a private memorial service. If they gave a date and or time, I do not recall. I will let you know if I hear anything.

There is a public memorial service for Chelsea this weekend at Poway HS. The football field holds seating for 5,000 and they expect an overflow crowd. They are planning shuttle service.

Thank you for letting me know about Chelsea. Her death still rocks me. I am haunted by that one pic of her so happy and jumping about. Her family should be planning her graduation, not her funeral. May she rest in peace. 
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1197 on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »

Sorry I have a double post although one is blank? Not sure how that happened. Would a mod please delete the second one? Thanks!

YW.  Fixed.  Maybe the forum reset as you posted or something like that.  No worries.  MB
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:41:23 AM by MuffyBee » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1198 on: March 11, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/11/forensic-scientists-look-for-answers/

March 10, 2010 | Photo by K.C. Alfred

Investigators this week searched in the area where the skeletal remains of Amber Dubois were found.

Forensic scientists look for answers
Many variables confront investigations of deaths of 2 North County teens

By John Wilkens, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 12:04 a.m.

Forensic scientists investigating the deaths of two North County teens already know the “who” — Chelsea King and Amber Dubois. Now they’re focused on the “when” and the “how.”

Each case presents its own challenges, and the answers aren’t likely to be as simple — or come as quickly — as the TV franchise “CSI” makes the process appear.

“There are just so many variables,” said Dr. Harry Bonnell, a former San Diego County deputy medical examiner now in private practice.

Variables such as where the bodies were buried, how deeply and for how long.

Although tedious or gruesome, the details they unearth will play a key role in any criminal prosecution. John Albert Gardner III, 30, a convicted sex offender, has been charged with murdering and raping Chelsea and is a focus of Amber’s case.

Even before a judge issued a gag order Tuesday, investigators were tight-lipped about both cases. Little is known publicly beyond when and where remains were found.

Chelsea, a 17-year-old Poway High School senior, disappeared Feb. 25 while running at Rancho Bernardo Community Park on dirt trails that border Lake Hodges. A body was found five days later in a shallow grave near the water, and Gardner was charged in her death.

Amber, 14, vanished Feb. 13, 2009, while walking to Escondido High School. Her skeletal remains, identified through dental records, were found Saturday off a narrow, winding road north of the Pala Indian Reservation.

From a forensic standpoint, a case like Chelsea’s would probably be pretty straightforward, said Bonnell, who performed about 7,000 autopsies during his 20-year career as a medical examiner and now reviews about 150 cases yearly, mostly as a criminal-defense expert.

He said he wouldn’t expect much decomposition because of the time frame, because it was rainy and cool outside — cooler weather slows the process — and because the body was buried.

The more intact a body, the easier it is to determine certain kinds of trauma such as strangling or knife wounds, Bonnell said.

Burial would lessen the chance that insect or animal activity had disturbed the body.

A typical autopsy — county pathologists conduct 3,000 annually — takes about four hours. They’re done in the county Medical Examiner’s Office, a $73 million facility in Kearny Mesa that opened three months ago. The office has a staff of 50 and an annual budget of $8 million.

Once an exam is finished, the pathologist decides on the cause of death and the manner, such as homicide, accident, natural, suicide or undetermined. In Chelsea’s case, those findings have been sealed.

Amber’s case is more complicated. “Skeletal remains are among the most difficult, if not the most difficult, cases we have,” said Greg Wyatt, Sacramento County coroner.

The site typically becomes an archaeological dig, excavated layer by layer. Nothing is removed until it is fully exposed, photographed and mapped. Sides of a makeshift grave are examined for marks that might reveal what kind of tool was used. Soil under the skeleton is tested to see if decomposition happened there or if the remains had been moved. The work often takes more than a week.

Forensic entomologists, who study insect activity as a way to determine time of death, are sometimes called in. David Faulkner, an entomologist from San Diego, said there aren’t usually live insects around skeletons, but they sometimes leave traces.

“You can’t tell when the person died exactly, but you may be able to determine the season of the year based upon pupae cases and other insect detritus in the soil,” he said. “If you find sufficient pupae of a cold weather species of insect, you can roughly estimate how long the body has been there.”

Forensic anthropologists — bone experts — also play a role, both at the scene and in the lab. Elizabeth Miller, who does such work for law enforcement in Los Angeles, said she’s looking for bullet holes, blunt-force fractures, knife marks.

“But most skeletonized remains you don’t find a lot of signs of trauma,” said Miller, an anthropology professor at California State University Los Angeles.

That makes it hard to determine a cause of death, although sometimes clothing is found with cuts or tears in them that can be revealing. Bonnell and Wyatt said it’s common in skeletal cases to never figure out the cause. But that doesn’t preclude examiners from reaching a conclusion on the manner of death.

In the case of Chandra Levy, the Washington, D.C., intern from Modesto who was missing for 13 months before her remains were found in a park in May 2002, the medical examiner couldn’t say how she died. But because her running pants were found with no bones in them — and with unusual knots in the legs — authorities concluded there was foul play and her death was a homicide.

Her accused killer is awaiting trial.

And even when they can’t pinpoint a cause or manner of death, pathologists are sometimes able to identify a time range — in the Levy case, they said the remains were “consistent” with her having died on or about the day she disappeared.

Such a finding can bring some solace to families tortured by the idea that — if they had searched harder or longer — they would have been able to find their loved one alive.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1199 on: March 11, 2010, 09:47:44 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10002754.html
48 Hours Mystery
Amber Dubios: Missing Teen Murdered
The search for missing 14-year-old Amber Dubois has now shifted to the search for her killer. The bones of the Southern California girl, who vanished on Feb.13, 2009 while walking to school, were discovered on March 6, 2010, in a rugged, remote area of San Diego, according to police. FULL COVERAGE: http://www.cbsnews.com/8300-504083_162-504083.html?keyword=amber+dubois&tag=contentMain;contentBody
Photos:  http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10002754.html?tag=page
   an angelic monkey

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.