March 18, 2024, 09:21:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber Leeanne Dubois #2 (remains found 3/6/10) 1/15/10 - 7/3/13  (Read 565565 times)
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #1220 on: March 11, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »

I want to remember Amber just like this..

My family has a connection to the Monterey Bay Aquarium through a membership and my youngest son desires to be a Penquinologist.. Yes there is such a thing, and he is in line to take care of them weekly and visits them often.

I will always think of Amber when he does.. Just like this.

She is beautiful.

I completely agree Edward. This is one of my favorite pictures of Amber too. What a beautiful young lady. Wow, your son will get to take of the penguins!! That will be such an incredible experience for him.

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1221 on: March 12, 2010, 12:34:56 AM »

News 8 Investigation: FBI seizes white pickup truck once owned by Gardner

http://kfmb.images.worldnow.com/images/12127421_BG1.jpg

The FBI has seized a white pickup truck that sex offender John Gardner may have been driving at the time Amber Dubois went missing. Investigators are looking for DNA inside the truck that could link Amber Dubois to the accused killer. In this News 8 Investigation we learn that vehicles driven by Gardner could become key pieces of evidence.

The 2004 Chevy Silverado was repossessed from Gardner around the same time Amber Dubois went missing in February 2009. It was sold to a new owner last year at used car lot in the Wilmington neighborhood of Los Angeles.  The manager of the car lot remembers buying the truck at auction.

"It's just a standard, white Silverado pickup with four doors. We purchased it on the 9th of March of 2009 at the South Bay Auction, which is in Gardena," Ulises Galvez said.

FBI agents seized the vehicle Wednesday in Los Angeles from its current owner, an immigrant who purchased the truck last year from the Kar Connections lot in Wilmington. Agents told the current owner they needed to impound the truck for several weeks to test it for DNA.

The car lot manager says the truck was cleaned before they sold it.

"We shampoo the carpets and the seats and then wash the windows and the dash," Galvez said.

DMV records show Gardner purchased the truck in 2006. He was driving it in Nov. 2008 when he received a misdemeanor citation for possession of marijuana in Oceanside.

It was repossessed in Feb. 2009, and a short time later Gardner purchased a new vehicle.

The Heller Ford dealership in Escondido confirms Gardner paid cash for a gold, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix in June 2009. A few months later, a Lake Elsinore girl told deputies a man who looked like Gardner tried to force her into a gold-colored Pontiac, but she got away.

Court records show Gardner has received five traffic tickets and citations since 2008, and each time the citation shows him driving a different vehicle.

In 2008 he was driving a black Hyundai four-door sedan. In 2008 and 2009 he was driving the white Chevy pickup recently seized by the FBI. In April 2009 a traffic ticket shows Gardner was driving his girlfriend's grey Ford Focus. Later in 2009, he was behind the wheel of the gold Pontiac Grand Prix. Finally, in Jan. 2010, a traffic ticket shows him driving a 2002 black Nissan Sentra with a significant amount of damage.

Records show at least two of those cars were registered to Gardner's girlfriend, 28-year-old Jariah Baker. News 8 has confirmed Baker is currently living in a residential drug and alcohol rehab house in Escondido called Serenity House. She did not respond to News 8's emails and phone messages asking for a comment.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12127421
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1222 on: March 12, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »

I hope the twins are safe and with someone who loves them right now.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1223 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49:44 AM »

A Way to Keep Our Daughters Safer … and Alive 

The minute the flasher began appearing in the tiny coastal  town of El Segundo – targeting mostly females from ages 9 to 19, officers didn’t sit around second guessing. They jumped all over it. Because the white male shucked down his pants and made other assorted, unpleasant gestures, they contacted schools so they could warn parents. When students informed school officials of additional incidents, schools contacted police. In addition, El Segundo officers alerted neighboring police agencies.

But they took it one step further – they made it a media blitz nearly every time the flasher struck.

Continually, the flasher story – with three different composite sketches – appeared on television networks and in newspapers across Los Angeles County over the past 14 months, since the incidents started.

It would surprise me if many El Segundo residents – in fact, Los Angeles residents – were unaware of this case.

“I believed from experience it could escalate,” said police Lt. Brian Evanski, whose department oversees the safety of El Segundo, whose 17,000 residents live on the southern edge of huge Los Angeles International Airport. “We were fearful it could turn into grabbing, touching and maybe even kidnapping.”

It was with elation that Evanski reported they believe they bagged their man after an arrest on March 4 before he had a chance to harm anyone. This is the approach all police departments – big or small -- need to take when a stalker of any kind appears– such as the beautiful jogging trails around Lake Hodges, where Chelsea King once jogged alone.

This past weekend, the skeletal remains of Amber Dubois, 14, whose been missing for nearly a year after she vanished while walked to Escondido High School, were discovered about 30 miles north of Escondido, in Pala, an Indian reservation. Police are investigating whether it’s linked to Chelsea’s case.

As I listened at El Segundo’s press conference, I couldn’t help but wonder about the parallels and what went wrong in and around Northern San Diego County – where better response to a couple of scary incidents may have prevented the horrendous death of Chelsea, a sweet 17-year-old by all accounts.

Faster police action and an Amber Alert might have saved Amber.

Had local law enforcement acted the same way El Segundo’s did – even though San Diego County sheriff deputies and Escondido police have thousands more residents to care for -- Chelsea and maybe even Amber might be alive today.

I say this because other events happened before Chelsea took to the trails near the lake where she routinely jogged. And they were far more threatening.

Amber had disappeared and another woman had been attacked on the trails.

Chelsea, a straight-A student at Poway High School who played the French horn in the San Diego Youth Symphony, disappeared in late February when she was out  at Lake Hodges, within Rancho Bernard Community Park, a favorite with nearby residents. It’s an area my sister and I have frequented many times for solo walks.

Lake Hodges, somewhat shaped like an upside-down V with a tail, winds south of Escondido, about a mile north of Rancho Bernardo and partly under Interstate 15. Perched just 31 miles north of downtown San Diego and a fisherman’s haunt, it’s surrounded by several suburban communities, including the upscale Rancho Santa Fe to the west, Poway to the east and San Marcos to the north.

Chelsea apparently was grabbed,  murdered and buried in shallow grave near a lake tributary. Police later apprehended and arrested registered sex offender John Albert Gardner III, a 6’ 2”, 230-pound white male. He was eating at the Hideaway, a popular Mexican restaurant at the northwest tip of the lake.

He was charged with murder in an attempt to commit rape and had been already convicted for attacking a 13-year-old neighbor in 2000 at his mother’s town house near the park where Chelsea disappeared. The girl said he fondled her and repeatedly punched her in the face until she made her escape.

Gardner has pleaded not guilty to Chelsea’s murder and additional charges of the “allegation of murder during the commission of a rape or attempted rape,” news reports said.

Police will not say yet whether Amber’s case might be linked to Chelsea’s. But after Chelsea’s death, Escondido police intensified their focus on her disappearance – and said they were acting on a tip at a news conference. Amber was identified through dental records and before I finished this story, Amber’s mother called me on Sunday to tell me her daughter’s remains had been found the day before.

“It’s a horrible ending,” said her mother, Carrie McGonigle, who called her daughter sheltered and bookish on the a website the family established in search for Amber. The parents, her father, Maurice Dubois, and Carrier, who were no loner together, had done intense searching on their own – issuing fliers and hiring private investigators to find their freckle-faced girl.

It seems to me the 130 pound Amber nor the 113-pound Chelsea  stood a chance; and yes, I am  irritated when I hear people say Chelsea should not have been on the trails alone even if it was the early afternoon.

Maybe so. But this is something many girls and women, including myself, would have been guilty of.

Since my sister lives down the road from Lake Hodges,  I have walked trails there many times – alone  like Chelsea – after parking in the same lot where her car was found. My sister, who often took her dogs, also walked or jogged alone. This was a popular and seemingly safe place to do so in the affluent enclave.

The lake is encircled by sandy shorelines, singing birds and intense but beautiful shrubbery and thickets – with many users. I was always more afraid of coyotes and mountain lions than an attacker.  Now, I’ve learned. But we might not have had to – if the police had – like El Segundo – made a bigger ordeal out of an earlier attack at the lake.

Last Dec. 27, a woman in her 20s was jogging near the West Bernardo Drive side of the lake when a man approached her, said hello and then tackled her. He appeared to be about 25. The woman escaped by hitting him in the nose with her elbow, according to news accounts.

Few heard about this incident, which might have warned walkers, joggers and hikers to think twice about going there alone. Gardner has now been charged in that case and authorities are investigating if he’s connected to Amber’s death.

Amber  was last seen on Feb. 13, 2009, about 7:10 a.m. outside Escondido High School –  less than 10 miles from Lake Hodges. No “Amber Alert” was issued because she was considered a potential runaway, according to the KidsSafeWebsite.

“It appears that because she is 14, she is of the ‘runaway’ age, especially because she has divorced parents and that is the stance that the officials are taking.  They say that this Amber does not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert,” wrote  Kymberley Page for Children’s Educational Network. “I can’t remember ever hearing that child predators seek out only children that are from traditional family units and that they aren’t interested in children after they turn 14.  Have you ever heard that?”

Kids like Amber don’t run away just after receiving the lamb they wanted for their 4-H Club project.

She was also towing  Valentine cards for her friends at school. Even if they do, we still need to search for them, as they are still lambs in a world of predators.

Amber’s disappearance attracted less media attention than Chelsea’s. But that’s for a reason. The Escondido Police Department didn’t react with the same  concern as El Segundo’s did.

Having been a journalist for decades, I understand that media reaction often reflects police reaction. It takes a nosy journalist to sniff out a bigger story when the police aren’t jumping up and down about it.

When they don’t, we typically don’t, either.

However, in Chelsea’s case, the San Diego Sheriff’s Department did haul out the big guns. They called the media, brought in searchers, dogs and helicopters. Two things probably prompted the deputies to do a giant media blitz in this case:

•   They knew Amber disappeared only 10 miles from Lake Hodges and that another jogger had been attacked there.

•   Chelsea’s car was found in the lot near the lake along with her cell phone and purse, a big indicator that she was no runaway.

All of this adds up to this thought. Police – like journalists – should never make assumptions. When we do, it gets us into trouble.

The minute a kid of any age disappears, we should all be out in force: Contact the schools, get searches going, let the dogs out, arrange for Amber Alerts, do media blitzes and pass the news over the Internet.

The other question is how did no one seem to know about this unseen force in our midst. Gardner had several addresses, one in Lake Ellsinore and another in Escondido. His parents also lived in Rancho Bernardo. And yet few knew that this sex offender was in or near their neighborhoods.

He was even listed on the Internet. Perhaps we all need to be more vigilant in checking about who lives in our neighborhoods.

Unlike in El Segundo – where authorities routinely reacted to the flasher and considered him a potential predator – authorities seemed to handle the Amber’s disappearance as routine and the jogger attack as another incident to file away .

Had the El Segundo flasher decided to turn violent, the police department had done everything in its power to deflect him by letting the public become remarkably aware.

The suspect, Jeffery William Freeman, 39, of Westchester, was spotted “rubbernecking” by an-off duty officer March 4 as he drove slowly around Richmond Street Elementary School about 7:10 a.m. in a car similar to what he flasher reportedly drove. Lt. Evanski said the officer felt “hairs rise on the back of his neck.” The officer called the police while tracking the suspect’s location.

Freeman came willingly to the police station and cooperated in a “long discussion,” Evanski said, which later led to his arrest that evening at the Carmel Hotel in Santa Monica on suspicion of 10 counts of indecent exposure and possession of a controlled substance.

His bail was set at $360,000, and he was released after posting bond.

“The frequency (of the incidents) really bothered me,” said El Segundo Mayor Kelly McDowell, who supported the department’s media campaign. “Nobody knew if he was going to escalate the crime.”
When Gardner was tried for the 2000 incident, one psychiatrist, Dr. Matthew Carroll, reported the man had no remorse and was not treatable.

The psychiatrist said Gardner’s behavior was likely to intensify and that underage girls would not be safe in a community where he resided. He recommended the maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.

However, Gardner was released and allegedly did exactly what El Segundo so carefully avoided; his activities allegedly escalated and people like Chelsea and perhaps Amber, paid for it.

Let’s pray no other girls have done so.

http://citywatchla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3303
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1224 on: March 12, 2010, 01:02:56 AM »

FBI Seizes White Pickup (Video)

http://www.cbs8.com/global/category.asp?c=155799&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=149659&topVideoCatNoB=155712&topVideoCatNoC=155713&topVideoCatNoD=155710&topVideoCatNoE=155711&clipId=4615069&topVideoCatNo=undefined&autoStart=true
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1225 on: March 12, 2010, 01:09:47 AM »

Gardner violated parole in 2007 (video)
Parole officers could have sent him back to prison

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-gardner-parole-violation,0,4870637.story
sebastian
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1226 on: March 12, 2010, 01:35:43 AM »

Good I hope they fire her. She should not be working for this population of people. Many families are relying on her to have the best judgement possible so their loved one will be cared for properly. She deserves to be treated with harsh judgement, this is no time for political correctness. I say this as a mother to a child with a disability.

ITA Tracygirl. She runs around doing sexual things that are not the "NORM", she has a sex offender son that she allowed to be around her sexual group of friends, she allowed her son access to her home and allowed him to live in her home, (while not registered at her location), and she missed the obvious, HER SON IS A PREDATOR. It would be hard for me to take her seriously in her field of employment, much less have to answer to her! How ironic that she also teaches self-defense classes.
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1227 on: March 12, 2010, 02:56:40 AM »

I hope the twins are safe and with someone who loves them right now.
Me too. What a terrible legacy to have to carry.  Wonder how long their mom has been in the drug treatment? I hope she can get right and heal from the drugs and from him.
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1228 on: March 12, 2010, 03:03:26 AM »

Good I hope they fire her. She should not be working for this population of people. Many families are relying on her to have the best judgement possible so their loved one will be cared for properly. She deserves to be treated with harsh judgement, this is no time for political correctness. I say this as a mother to a child with a disability.

ITA Tracygirl. She runs around doing sexual things that are not the "NORM", she has a sex offender son that she allowed to be around her sexual group of friends, she allowed her son access to her home and allowed him to live in her home, (while not registered at her location), and she missed the obvious, HER SON IS A PREDATOR. It would be hard for me to take her seriously in her field of employment, much less have to answer to her! How ironic that she also teaches self-defense classes.

I can't believe she would want to return, I can't believe Scripps would allow her to return without some evaluation of the situation. FTLOG the whole community is practically needing grief counseling over the crimes HER SON committed and she feels okay about business as usual? Duh.. 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1229 on: March 12, 2010, 10:04:51 AM »

Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job
Cathy Osborn Is Registered Nurse At Scripps Mercy Hospital

POSTED: 6:42 pm PST March 11, 2010
UPDATED: 7:55 pm PST March 11, 2010
[BUZZ: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [DELICIOUS: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [DIGG: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [FACEBOOK: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [REDDIT: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [RSS] [PRINT: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [EMAIL: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job]
SAN DIEGO -- 10News learned staff members at Scripps Mercy Hospital are upset about the mother of accused killer John Gardner returning to work.

Sources told 10News Scripps Mercy staff members were summoned to a 3 p.m. meeting Thursday to discuss the issue of Cathy Osborn's return to the hospital. The staff members were asked to dress in street clothes and come in through the front door.

Osborn is a registered nurse and is a supervisor in the behavioral health unit at Scripps Mercy. However, a 10News viewer and co-worker of Osborn sent in the following e-mail:

"Cannot tell you who I am for fear of being harassed, but his mother Cathy Osborn is going back to work at Scripps Mercy Hospital in behavioral health. She let her son live with her and had a key to her house and now is in a position of authority on a psychiatric unit where other sex offenders or psychiatric patients are placed based on her position … She knew he was a danger and never reported him. Her judgment could let other people out of a psychiatric facility that should not be. Staff do not respect her anymore and have to listen to her because she is in a position of authority. This is not right … Staff do not want to work with her and she is coming back to work."

Another co-worker called 10News and said "there's quite a few of us" feeling the same way and that there was a "big sigh of relief" that the word got out. She also said she believed it was in "bad taste" that Osborn continue teaching self-defense classes, and "when she came back Tuesday and walked in ready to teach class as usual, a lot of them walked out."

Scripps Mercy refused to discuss anything regarding the information the anonymous co-workers shared with 10News and said it was "inappropriate … a personnel issue."

10News learned staff members were dismissed from the 3 p.m. meeting at the last minute and told to set up individual meeting sessions.

While it will be five months before her son has his preliminary hearing, Osborn is already being judged at her place of employment.
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1230 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »

Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job
Cathy Osborn Is Registered Nurse At Scripps Mercy Hospital

POSTED: 6:42 pm PST March 11, 2010
UPDATED: 7:55 pm PST March 11, 2010
[BUZZ: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [DELICIOUS: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [DIGG: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [FACEBOOK: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [REDDIT: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [RSS] [PRINT: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job] [EMAIL: Co-Workers Upset After Gardner's Mom Returns To Job]
SAN DIEGO -- 10News learned staff members at Scripps Mercy Hospital are upset about the mother of accused killer John Gardner returning to work.

Sources told 10News Scripps Mercy staff members were summoned to a 3 p.m. meeting Thursday to discuss the issue of Cathy Osborn's return to the hospital. The staff members were asked to dress in street clothes and come in through the front door.

Osborn is a registered nurse and is a supervisor in the behavioral health unit at Scripps Mercy. However, a 10News viewer and co-worker of Osborn sent in the following e-mail:

"Cannot tell you who I am for fear of being harassed, but his mother Cathy Osborn is going back to work at Scripps Mercy Hospital in behavioral health. She let her son live with her and had a key to her house and now is in a position of authority on a psychiatric unit where other sex offenders or psychiatric patients are placed based on her position … She knew he was a danger and never reported him. Her judgment could let other people out of a psychiatric facility that should not be. Staff do not respect her anymore and have to listen to her because she is in a position of authority. This is not right … Staff do not want to work with her and she is coming back to work."

Another co-worker called 10News and said "there's quite a few of us" feeling the same way and that there was a "big sigh of relief" that the word got out. She also said she believed it was in "bad taste" that Osborn continue teaching self-defense classes, and "when she came back Tuesday and walked in ready to teach class as usual, a lot of them walked out."

Scripps Mercy refused to discuss anything regarding the information the anonymous co-workers shared with 10News and said it was "inappropriate … a personnel issue."

10News learned staff members were dismissed from the 3 p.m. meeting at the last minute and told to set up individual meeting sessions.

While it will be five months before her son has his preliminary hearing, Osborn is already being judged at her place of employment.

Good Morning

If I was Osborn I would be to embarrassed to show my face...but, as we have seen Hashers have no shame

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1231 on: March 12, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »

I can't imagine that the hospital is going to keep her on, they may lose patients, and money is always the important thing.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1232 on: March 12, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »

I can't imagine that the hospital is going to keep her on, they may lose patients, and money is always the important thing.

I think they would have no cause to release her.  They could reassign her away from directly supervising staff and being around patients though.  There is nothing wrong with mopping floors. filing charts.....
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1233 on: March 12, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »

I see Osborn going down "hill" fast (pun intended) and as you mentioned earlier, I could not believe the amount of medications Jag was on as a teenager..looks to me he was over medicated, and if he is bi-polar I hope its not something the twins inherit. Jag needed to be neutered...no offspring should come from him...poor babies that have to grow up with his genes.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1234 on: March 12, 2010, 11:54:01 AM »

I think they would have no cause to release her.  They could reassign her away from directly supervising staff and being around patients though.  There is nothing wrong with mopping floors. filing charts.....
She can clean out toilets also, because I figure the last thing a mental patient needs is her, and if I had a family member at the hospital for those issues I would make darn sure she wouldn't have any part of taking care of my loved one, but that's me. Maybe some people wouldn't care, and for all I know she may be a very good nurse.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1235 on: March 12, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »

I see Osborn going down "hill" fast (pun intended) and as you mentioned earlier, I could not believe the amount of medications Jag was on as a teenager..looks to me he was over medicated, and if he is bi-polar I hope its not something the twins inherit. Jag needed to be neutered...no offspring should come from him...poor babies that have to grow up with his genes.
To me there was no reason to put a teen on all that medication, heck an adult shouldn't be on all that.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1236 on: March 12, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »

"Suspicious" man lurking around schools in Escondido (video)

In Escondido, parents are being warned about a man hanging around a park near two schools. Now they're keeping an eye on things after at least two kids reported seeing the suspicious individual.

Ed Lenderman has the story. To view, click on the video icon above.

http://www.kusi.com/home/87417542.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1237 on: March 12, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »

Suspect arrested in possible abduction case

Police have taken a suspect into custody in La Mesa that they believe may have tried to abduct a 12-year-old girl.

Thursday, police say a man in his fifties approached the girl near Fletcher Parkway, while she was on her way to school, hugged her and then tried to kiss her.

The school's vice principal happened to be driving by, picked the girl up, drove her to school and called police.

Check cbs8.com for continuing updates on this Breaking News Alert. Also, watch News 8 at 11 for the latest information.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12130563
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1238 on: March 12, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »

Mourning the loss of Chelsea and Amber – there is help

Thousands of San Diego residents -– particularly those in the communities of Rancho Bernardo, Poway and Escondido -– turned out to mourn 17-year-old Chelsea King and 14-year-old Amber Dubois at their respective candlelight vigils, just one week apart.

Now, several of those thousands -– some of whom have never met the girls or their families -– are pouring into the offices of San Diego Hospice to talk about their unspeakable loss.

According to Liane Fry, licensed marriage and family therapist and program manager at the Center for Grief Care and Education for San Diego Hospice, the facility –- which specializes in end-of-life care -– has been getting calls from grieving community members wanting to talk since the search for King began February 25.

“Primarily, we are getting calls from people who were involved in the search or other parents,” she said.  “We are seeing a broader community response.  Given how well-publicized it was, it hit all of us so profoundly.”

Both girls were found dead within a week of each other, following their separate mysterious disappearances.

King, a 17-year-old Poway High School senior, was declared missing February 25 after she failed to return from a run near Rancho Bernardo Community Park.  She was found five days later, on March 2, in a shallow grave near the Lake Hodges shoreline.

Fourteen-year-old Amber Dubois was last seen February 13, 2009 outside Escondido High School.  Her 13-month search finally came to an end March 7, when a weekend tip led authorities to her human remains in Pala.

Lake Elsinore resident and registered sex offender, John Albert Gardner III, has been charged with murder and a special circumstance of rape or attempted rape in King’s case and is now of interest in the Dubois case as well.  Gardner last appeared in court for a status conference on March 9.

The tragic events, while truly traumatizing for those close to the girls and their families, can trigger strong feelings of loss in others, even if they were not directly connected to the events, Fry said.

“[The tragedy] acts as an echo into the losses they might be experiencing,” she said.  “They are stimulated by that loss.”

Those losses –- while most are indicative of a death –- can also include circumstances like divorce or incarceration, she said.

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-03-12/lifestyle/mourning-the-loss-of-chelsea-and-amber-there-is-help
Ampersand
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1239 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »

Touching blogs and photos from Monday's Vigil for Amber...

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/paulgallaher/gallery/Amber-Dubois/G0000rGyHXRAgDVI

http://andrewfoulk.blogspot.com/2010/03/sad-goodbye.html

~Thank you for helping to break through the darkness by being one of the lights that will bring our Amber home~  www.AmberLeeanneDubois.com
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.