March 28, 2024, 01:33:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber Leeanne Dubois #2 (remains found 3/6/10) 1/15/10 - 7/3/13  (Read 566841 times)
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1880 on: May 19, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »

That must be difficult for Carrie to visit the spot where Gardner claims he took Amber. I would imagine though it brings her farther along in her grief process. I think the lack of answers must have been so difficult for her. I know I would want to know, just as Carrie did. If Carrie wants to take his story as truth and tell the story then that is her decision and I will respect that, regardless if I believe Gardners version of the story. She is Ambers mom, this is her life, not mine.

God Bless you Carrie. God Bless Amber in heaven above.  an angelic monkey
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1881 on: May 19, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »

Gardner sent to prison near Bakersfield

Prison officials have transferred John Albert Gardner III to a prison north of Bakersfield rather than send him to Donovan State Prison in Otay Mesa for his initial assessment.

Gardner, 31, left his downtown San Diego jail cell at 2 a.m. Tuesday for North Kern State Prison, a medium-security facility in Delano that is one of 11 reception centers in the state prison system.

He arrived about 6 a.m. and moved into a single-person cell in an administrative segregation unit, said Terry Thornton, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Automated information released by the jail initially reported that Gardner was transferred to Donovan, but that plan changed.

Donovan staffers came to get Gardner this morning, but the decision to send him north rather than keep him in San Diego was likely based on security reasons due to the notoriety of the case, a Donovan prison official said.

Once he settles in, he will undergo a review that usually lasts 45 days that will help determine which prison he should be placed in permanently based on his needs.

His criminal history, medical, mental-health and security needs will all be considered.

Prison officials say the publicity surrounding the case and the nature of Gardner’s crimes could place him in a “sensitive needs” yard, a form of protective custody.

Gardner was sentenced Friday to life in prison with no chance of parole in the rapes and murders of Amber Dubois, 14, of Escondido and Chelsea King, 17, of Poway. He will also serve a third life sentence for assault with intent to rape in an attack on a jogger, Candice Moncayo, 22

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/18/john-gardner-went-prison-today/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1882 on: May 19, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »

That must be difficult for Carrie to visit the spot where Gardner claims he took Amber. I would imagine though it brings her farther along in her grief process. I think the lack of answers must have been so difficult for her. I know I would want to know, just as Carrie did. If Carrie wants to take his story as truth and tell the story then that is her decision and I will respect that, regardless if I believe Gardners version of the story. She is Ambers mom, this is her life, not mine.

God Bless you Carrie. God Bless Amber in heaven above.  an angelic monkey

an angelic monkey   an angelic monkey   an angelic monkey
sweetie_pi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1883 on: May 19, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »

Notorious Killer at South Valley Prison

Chelsea's parents are leading a campaign for "Chelsea's Law" to allow life sentences for some convicted child molesters and lifetime GPS monitoring of others.

http://www.kmjnow.com/pages/landing_news?Notorious-Killer-at-South-Valley-Prison=1&blockID=237604&feedID=806

Quite frankly, this perp was involved (allegedly, well I don't believe that but I have to say it) with a coordinate rape situation as a teen, and the rapists covered for each other. I do not believe for one minute this uber-MO of his changed one bit. I would  hope that it includes that anyone covering for a pedo gets the same sentence. Like his monster-mother, Nurse Rachett.

I hoped the King family would do something, and I hoped it would call for a permanent RSO task force, in Calfironia, that had funding also to monitor the PAROLE OFFICERS, paid to watch these pedos.

I hope they also add to that bill that for every single pedo caught and convicted - part of the sentencing hinges on their revelation of others in their pedo network. These monsters never work alone, and at the very least share info. Come on, Gardner's MO was set in his early teens, and his mother covered for him.  She shold be in an orange jumpsuit too, and that talking head who said she held no blame should be on someone's watch list as covering up pedo crimes. No slack, not from me.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1884 on: May 19, 2010, 10:38:25 PM »

A few observations of mine.
In Escondido, in the middle of the day, there is not a lot of traffic. The times to avoid are in the morning when all the kids are being dropped off at school and people are headed for work, and in the afternoon when schools let out and the time when people are returning from work. Escondido was a farming community and has a lot of roads which are deserted for the most part, even at the peak hours of traffic, depending on if there is a school nearby. I got lost the other day and it was 10 minutes before I got to an area inhabited enough to stop and ask for directions. I think it is such a shame Amber ended up on a deserted stretch of road but like Traceygirl, I think there was a reason she was on a different route and that reason was Gardner.
I also know that fear can freeze a person. Frozen in terror/fear is a term coined for a reason.

I also observed that in the late evenings/wee hours of the morning when I logged on here (this thread), there was always 1 guest. At times I had the uncomfortable feeling that the guest was someone who knew something about the crime, or who committed the crime and was lurking to see what was being said. I have also noticed that when I log on during those late hours...that guest is no longer showing. I wonder how many times that guest was actually John Garner.

Amber's family, this case has touched my heart deeply and I have total respect and admiration for the strength of character you all have all shown. I will never forget your beautiful daughter and my prayers continue for your family.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1885 on: May 19, 2010, 11:33:26 PM »

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1886 on: May 19, 2010, 11:45:54 PM »

I have voted for and even supported another board while we worked on Natalee Holloway because of the infiltrating enemy seeking information. I know for a fact Joran, Deepak and Josey Mansur read our research.. I also know Paulus was reading along with his wife Anita.

Today and in all the cases we work on. Scared Monkeys also needs a private area that only certified members and LE have access to for the very reasons you suggest.
Many people have been doing researsch for years now and have become quite good at it like Blink and Northern Rose, DoubleDecker and many others. The research is amazing and valueable BUT in the hands of those we seek to investigate is actually counter productive to what end result we desire.
Some of the guests you see are actually US  and just not signed in at the time.. Some of them are Media people seeking info and I know we have also had LE looking as well as private investigators..
In the case of KAT .. I also know R.S. has been here looking at what we write..
jmho
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1887 on: May 20, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »

Edward - there are more reasons NOT to have a private area than there is TO have one.  Private areas in a forum end up causing problems.  Too many problems and a forum gets shut down.  Then you have nothing. 

Many of us will hold back of certain information we have found until after it has been sent to LE.  I think that's the best we can do here at SM.  Red is pretty adamant about NOT having any private areas here.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1888 on: May 20, 2010, 01:30:41 AM »

I will say that I do find it odd the story he gave was exactly opposite of what has been discussed in the forums as well as the news reports. His story places her completely away from the high school, near a different school all together and the time he claimed was 25 min earlier then what was reported. Didn't her grandmother get a text from her at 7:10 that morning? Anyway, I too wonder if he read what the theories were and said something different for control of the story. But as I said earlier, it is Carries decision and right to believe the story he told her.

I think closed boards hurt feelings and can make a member who is not granted access feel as though they are not valuable. Of course given my consistant out spokeness, I fear you all would lock me out faster then I can type it, lol.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1889 on: May 20, 2010, 02:30:29 AM »

Edward - there are more reasons NOT to have a private area than there is TO have one.  Private areas in a forum end up causing problems.  Too many problems and a forum gets shut down.  Then you have nothing. 

Many of us will hold back of certain information we have found until after it has been sent to LE.  I think that's the best we can do here at SM.  Red is pretty adamant about NOT having any private areas here.

Red understands more then I do on forums and people with all kinds of personalities and how they get along best..
Ampersand
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1890 on: May 20, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »

I will say that I do find it odd the story he gave was exactly opposite of what has been discussed in the forums as well as the news reports. His story places her completely away from the high school, near a different school all together and the time he claimed was 25 min earlier then what was reported. Didn't her grandmother get a text from her at 7:10 that morning? Anyway, I too wonder if he read what the theories were and said something different for control of the story. But as I said earlier, it is Carries decision and right to believe the story he told her.

I think closed boards hurt feelings and can make a member who is not granted access feel as though they are not valuable. Of course given my consistant out spokeness, I fear you all would lock me out faster then I can type it, lol.

Amber sent my Mom a text response at 6:23am - here's what Mom wrote on a previous thread:

"She went to school TWTh. Thurs night she made a valentine's package for her 5 year old sister because Carrie was bringing the sister up to visit with me from Thurs nite thru Mon night.  Sister was excited with the gifts from Amber. That night I sent Amber a text telling her what a great big sister she was.  Amber replied by text to me Fri morning at 6:23 a.m.  It woke me up.  Now, I wish I had gotten up and called her, but the message didn't seek a reply so I stayed in bed a bit longer until sister woke up."

~Thank you for helping to break through the darkness by being one of the lights that will bring our Amber home~  www.AmberLeeanneDubois.com
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1891 on: May 20, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »

Thank you Ampersand I must be psychic because I was just looking through one of the threads for the time frame. On the FBI poster it is stated she was last seen by the witnesses at about 7:10, so that is where I got my time from.

So this is why this keeps me coming back. I have spoke several times about Denise Huber and that  I saw her with her killer the day after she disappeared. I know it was her because I got a very up close look at her and the man she was with. Supposedly the authorities were told by her killer that he killed her shortly after he kidnapped her, within hours of his taking her she was dead. Of course I knew that was not the truth but the truth according to a man who didn't wish to be viewed as the real monster he was or he was hiding something that happened that day such as someone that he shared Denise with, ie his brother.   I have always felt he got the last word, he was able to tell a story that was not Denise's story. I had tried to call the DA yet they didn't want to hear my story because it didn't fit with the time line they were using at trial.

I have never reached out to the family, well because I didn't know if after all of that time, they would want to have it all brought up again and have to live through everything again. Yet the person I saw that day, the young woman doing everything she could to get away, even running at one point, fought like hell. I wonder if the family would like to know that.

So there you have it the reason why Tracygirl wont shut up. I think Gardner has rewritten history at the expense of Amber and you all. I also fear he is protecting someone. I just don't believe him, I just don't. I know it is not my place to say that and perhaps in doing so it is making the grief process even more difficult. If so, I am so sorry, I really am. I think it just bothers me he has told a story that is the opposite of everything everyone was saying including Carrie, such as the change in route, the witness sightings, the time...

Ok, hopefully this time I will just shut up and drop it. Sorry....
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1892 on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »

I have no further comments.. Except to say this..

I have been communicating with Carrie for some time now.. We have laughed and cried. I have grown to have so much respect for her. She is the mom of the year in my opinion. She has been knocked down and got back up time and time again searching for Amber from every possible direction and followed every possible lead. Each time she comes back fighting for justice for her beautiful daughter Amber. Carrie has a Champion personality.
Carrie is a HERO and a champion in the battle for truth and justice for her daughter Amber Leeanne Dubois..  I will never forget Carrie.. She is equal Champion To Beth Twitty, mother to Natalee Ann Holloway and an inspiration to everyone who has a missing person to keep fighting and to never give up and to face Evil head on and full force.
I hope she writes a book and I will purchase it read it and keep it forever.
Ampersand
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1893 on: May 21, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »

Thank you Ampersand I must be psychic because I was just looking through one of the threads for the time frame. On the FBI poster it is stated she was last seen by the witnesses at about 7:10, so that is where I got my time from.

So this is why this keeps me coming back. I have spoke several times about Denise Huber and that  I saw her with her killer the day after she disappeared. I know it was her because I got a very up close look at her and the man she was with. Supposedly the authorities were told by her killer that he killed her shortly after he kidnapped her, within hours of his taking her she was dead. Of course I knew that was not the truth but the truth according to a man who didn't wish to be viewed as the real monster he was or he was hiding something that happened that day such as someone that he shared Denise with, ie his brother.   I have always felt he got the last word, he was able to tell a story that was not Denise's story. I had tried to call the DA yet they didn't want to hear my story because it didn't fit with the time line they were using at trial.

I have never reached out to the family, well because I didn't know if after all of that time, they would want to have it all brought up again and have to live through everything again. Yet the person I saw that day, the young woman doing everything she could to get away, even running at one point, fought like hell. I wonder if the family would like to know that.

So there you have it the reason why Tracygirl wont shut up. I think Gardner has rewritten history at the expense of Amber and you all. I also fear he is protecting someone. I just don't believe him, I just don't. I know it is not my place to say that and perhaps in doing so it is making the grief process even more difficult. If so, I am so sorry, I really am. I think it just bothers me he has told a story that is the opposite of everything everyone was saying including Carrie, such as the change in route, the witness sightings, the time...

Ok, hopefully this time I will just shut up and drop it. Sorry....

There's no need to apologize Tracygirl and it's never wrong to stand up and speak up for what you believe in - thank you.  an angelic monkey

~Thank you for helping to break through the darkness by being one of the lights that will bring our Amber home~  www.AmberLeeanneDubois.com
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1894 on: May 21, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »

I have no further comments.. Except to say this..

I have been communicating with Carrie for some time now.. We have laughed and cried. I have grown to have so much respect for her. She is the mom of the year in my opinion. She has been knocked down and got back up time and time again searching for Amber from every possible direction and followed every possible lead. Each time she comes back fighting for justice for her beautiful daughter Amber. Carrie has a Champion personality.
Carrie is a HERO and a champion in the battle for truth and justice for her daughter Amber Leeanne Dubois..  I will never forget Carrie.. She is equal Champion To Beth Twitty, mother to Natalee Ann Holloway and an inspiration to everyone who has a missing person to keep fighting and to never give up and to face Evil head on and full force.
I hope she writes a book and I will purchase it read it and keep it forever.

Edward, these women and men who stand tall and never give up are an inspiration.  Their tenacity inspires others whose family members are missing, abused, etc.  I too applaud them and pray for them every day.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1895 on: May 21, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »

REGION: Amber's mother says Gardner's look of rage coerced teen into car
Details of abduction come on same day Gardner shipped to prison

John Albert Gardner III used a look of rage to coerce Amber Dubois into his car on a lonely street ---- even though she was just 30 feet from busy North Broadway.

On Tuesday, Amber's mother, Carrie McGonigle shared the story of her daughter's abduction; she stood just yards from the spot where Gardner told her he snatched Amber at about 6:45 a.m. Feb. 13, 2009.

McGonigle's news conference came the same day state prison officials shipped Gardner, 31, to North Kern State Prison, about 40 miles north of Bakersfield, to start serving consecutive life sentences for the rape and murder of Amber, 14, and of Chelsea King, 17.

McGonigle said she learned the details of her daughter's final 90 minutes when she met with Gardner last week at a downtown San Diego jail.

"He said she knew from the look in his eyes that he was serious ---- and she got in the car," McGonigle said.

She said her daughter probably saw the same look of rage that flashed across Gardner's face at his sentencing hearing last week, when he was taunted in court by a woman who escaped his attempt to rape her.

"We saw how quickly he turns into that rage," McGonigle said. "And I am sure that's the look that Amber saw in him."

The mother of the slain teen said Gardner told her he was driving north on Broadway when he spotted Amber walking alone down Stanley Avenue then "turned and stopped and threatened her."

She said Gardner told Amber he had a gun and a knife, and ordered her into his car.

The teenager was essentially trapped. Behind her was a long stretch of isolated road, rimmed on both sides by chain link fences. And the hulking Gardner was between Amber and busy North Broadway, 30 feet away.

"If you look at the street we are on, you see there was no escape," McGonigle said. "She was really stuck."

Gardner told McGonigle that once he had Amber in the car, he headed east on Stanley, turned right on Ash Street, then left on Valley Parkway, which he followed up to Pala ---- the site where he raped, stabbed and buried the teenager.

Amber had taken a different route to school that day, one that put her a block farther north from the school than anyone originally thought. McGonigle said she believes her daughter veered from her normal path to walk to school with friends.

She said she believes Gardner's story, because he had a pattern of attacking young girls who were by themselves.

Gardner pleaded guilty last month to the rape and murder of Amber shortly after he abducted her, and to the rape and murder of Chelsea, who he grabbed from a Lake Hodges-area running trail on Feb. 25.

He also admitted trying to rape jogger Candice Moncayo, a college student who on Dec. 27 fought off Gardner in the same area from which Chelsea was snatched.

Gardner agreed to a plea deal that spared him the death penalty. He received three consecutive life sentences.

McGonigle has kept private most of the details of her conversation with Gardner, and has publicly revealed what she learned about how Gardner forced Amber into his car to warn other parents to keep their kids vigilant.

"Gardner is only one out of hundreds, thousands of sex offenders out there capable of doing what happened to Amber and Chelsea," she said. "Parents need to not be relaxed now that one is behind bars."

Gardner's time behind prison bars started when he arrived just before 6 a.m. Tuesday at North Kern State Prison, said Terry Thornton, spokeswoman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Gardner is housed in a single-man cell, and will likely remain there for the next 45 days or so while officials evaluate him for placement in another prison, Thornton said.

Officials shipped him directly to the Central Valley prison and the single-man cell for safety reasons, she said, because Gardner's case drew so much local and national publicity.

Also Tuesday, Chelsea's parents appeared on the Today show, giving their first interview since confronting Gardner at his sentencing hearing in a downtown San Diego courtroom on Friday.

"The minute he walked into that courtroom there was a complete and total wave of disgust," Kelly King told host Matt Lauer. "There's an element of shock to be that close to someone who has done what he's done to our daughter and our family."

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/sdcounty/article_da8a2518-818e-56ed-b77f-7b0456af5aed.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1896 on: May 21, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »

Killer of Amber Dubois, Chelsea King begins lifetime prison stint

The man who admitted raping and murdering North County teenagers Amber Dubois and Chelsea King began serving his lifelong prison term Tuesday.

John Albert Gardner III, 31, was transferred Tuesday morning from county jail in San Diego to North Kern State Prison in Delano, leaving about 2 a.m. and arriving shortly before 6 a.m., said Terry Thornton of the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

At the penitentiary about 180 miles north of Los Angeles, he will undergo a 45-day “reception center” evaluation to determine which of the state’s 33 prisons is best suited to permanently house him, according to Thornton. Among other factors, the review will take into account Gardner’s psychological makeup, physical health and education status.

During the process, Gardner will be confined in a maximum-security cell by himself.

The former Lake Elsinore resident pleaded guilty last month to the sex-assault slayings of 14-year-old Amber on Feb. 13, 2009, and 17-year-old Chelsea on Feb. 25 of this year.

He was sentenced Friday to consecutive life prison terms without the possibility of parole, plus 49 years.

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-05-19/local-county-news/killer-of-amber-chelsea-begins-lifetime-prison-stint
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1897 on: May 21, 2010, 02:17:13 PM »

MoreSecond thoughts, wishes about the double-murder

If only …

The familiar phrase, evoking the melancholy of missed opportunity, will be my last words on a double-murder case that has wrung North Country dry of emotion.

Honestly, there’s nothing left to feel. But there’s still plenty to think about.

In how many ways could tragedy have been diverted by intelligent human, if not divine, intervention?

How many times will fate be second-guessed before this case is consigned to settled history?

Many ways. Many times.

It’s not always perfectly fair to the players, this desire to rewrite history after the fact. But it’s natural.

It’s a means of self-defense against chaos. If lessons aren’t drawn, we’re assuming terror is random and inevitable.

Before moving on, we must ask ourselves what should have been in an ideal world, which this one most assuredly was not.

What follows are the ways both or one of the girls — Amber Dubois and Chelsea King — might have survived if the world had taken a turn for the better.

• If only the science — or is it really a subjective art? — of predicting the potential danger of sexual predators were more exact, more definitive, John Albert Gardner III, identified by at least one psychologist as an unreformable monster, would be rotting in a prison cell and Amber would be looking forward to summer and the Del Mar Fair.

• If only Amber had stayed close to classmates as she walked to her nearby high school. Instead, as her mother learned from a jailhouse talk with Gardner, Amber took a circuitous route that left her alone and vulnerable, prey to a large, threatening man who forced her into his car.

• If only Amber’s mom had been successfully contacted within minutes of Amber not showing up at school and an “Amber Alert” had gone out within an hour. Maybe the SDG&E workers in Pala who may have seen Gardner and Amber would have read or heard the description of the 14-year-old girl — and foiled the murder.

Yes, I know. It’s magical thinking that police would have believed that Amber had been abducted and was not cutting class.

But you wish a mother’s intuition had been called into play. Just this once.

• If only Escondido detectives had not been thrown off in the Amber abduction by false leads involving a “doughy” dark-skinned boy and a red pickup. Both turned out to be awful red herrings.

Doubling down on the boy and the truck, investigators overlooked the registered sex offender living a mile or two away from Amber’s house. Without the false leads, they might have imposed a dragnet that would have turned up Gardner. Who knows what evidence might have been found in the sex offender’s car? Maybe he gets scared — and confesses.

• If only the San Diego Police Department had not assumed, months after Amber had disappeared, that a female jogger was mugged in December without the more serious intent to rape. (You’d think if there’s one person you don’t want to rob, it’s a runner.)

• If only the woman who hit Gardner in the nose and escaped had not left for Colorado, cutting lines of communication and allowing the terribly mischaracterized crime to drop into the circular file.

• If only Lake Hodges had been blanketed with an accurate artist’s sketch of the attacker, maybe with a bruised nose. With his picture all over the place, Gardner would never have hung out by the lake, playing with a rattlesnake and spooking hikers.

• If only Gardner’s mother, a member of a running club, had seen a poster in the San Dieguito River Park with a sketch of her son’s face. The truth about her twisted child, which she’d undoubtedly repressed through the well-publicized Amber search, might have suddenly dawned on her.

• If only the well-respected psychiatric nurse had then called the authorities, Chelsea King would be wearing around Poway High the sweatshirt of the college she’d elected to attend this fall.

As a final footnote, I like to think of Chelsea attending what was reported to be among her top choices, the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.

More than 30 years ago, I studied there and taught English lit to smart, earnest freshmen like Chelsea.

Taking time off from her studies, Chelsea would have loved running on fine days along the shore of Spanish Banks or in Stanley Park with snow-capped Whistler Mountain brooding in the distance.

If only.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/20/second-thoughts-wishes-about-the-double-murder/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1898 on: May 21, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »

Official: California killer told of other crimes
By ELLIOT SPAGAT - Associated Press Writer SAN DIEGO --
A man who pleaded guilty to raping and murdering two teenage girls admitted involvement in other "assault-type" crimes but did not implicate himself in additional killings, authorities said Monday.

John Albert Gardner III spoke with investigators for more than two hours after he was sentenced Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the attacks on 17-year-old Chelsea King and 14-year-old Amber Dubois, San Diego County sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos said.

"He didn't shed a lot of light, but he did speak about other cases," said Brugos, who declined to elaborate about victims or provide other details.

The remarks came during a news conference involving a number of San Diego County's top law enforcement officials who had repeatedly refused to answer questions about the case since Gardner, 31, was arrested Feb. 28 in suburban Escondido.

Sheriff Bill Gore said the news conference was intended to fill in the blanks, but authorities revealed little new information about the case that sparked widespread calls to change the way California tracks and punishes child sex predators.

Escondido Police Chief Jim Maher did acknowledge a misstep after an officer was flagged down by a woman motorist who reported she was being followed by a man in a nearby Ford Focus.

The officer approached the car and questioned Gardner, who was with his girlfriend's 3-year-old son. However, the officer didn't pursue the stalking report further because the woman left the scene and has never been identified.

Gardner was cited for driving with an open container of alcohol in the April 2009 incident, but the information was not given to detectives investigating the disappearance of Dubois nearly two months earlier while she was walking to school.

"Revisiting this, it certainly would have been better if the officer had made personal contact with the detective," Maher said. "He didn't."

Neighbors had described seeing a red truck near the spot where Dubois vanished. But Maher noted that Gardner was not driving a red truck when he was cited for having the open container.

The officer "did everything he could under the law," Maher said.

Gardner, a registered sex offender in Escondido at the time, didn't become a suspect in the Dubois case until he was arrested nearly a year after her disappearance by police investigating the King abduction.

Days after his arrest, Gardner led authorities to the remains of Dubois in a rugged area north of San Diego.

Also Monday, San Diego police Capt. Jim Collins defended his department's response to a jogger's report that she was tackled by a man in December near the spot where King was attacked two months later.

Some critics have said police should have done more to alert residents about the first attack, which was initially treated as an attempted robbery because the assailant demanded money.

Gardner pleaded guilty to attempting to rape the jogger, who escaped after smashing his nose with her elbow and later spoke at his sentencing hearing.

Collins said police attempted to have the jogger meet with a sketch artist, but there were scheduling conflicts on both sides before she returned to college in Colorado.

Police collected DNA from the woman's elbow that was tested after King disappeared but showed no link to Gardner, police said.

"We didn't have a lot of information on the suspect," Collins said.

King's disappearance unleashed a massive investigation in which the FBI said it searched 363 homes near the park with the consent of residents.

Authorities declined to detail how Gardner abducted King and Dubois.

Carrie McGonigle, the mother of Dubois, appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" and said Gardner told her in a jailhouse interview that he trapped the girl on a fenced street and forced her into his car.

Gardner was previously convicted of molesting a 13-year-old girl in 2000.

http://www.lakewyliepilot.com/2010/05/17/728209/officials-in-calif-teen-killings.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1899 on: May 21, 2010, 02:23:12 PM »

Teen's parents seek tougher sex-crime terms

SAN DIEGO | The parents of a murdered teenage girl went to Washington, D.C., this week, along with a California assemblyman, to gain national-level support for an assembly bill designed to toughen sentences for sex offenders.

Brent and Kelly King's daughter, Chelsea, 17, was raped and murdered in a community park in north San Diego in February as she was jogging along a trail. A sex offender who had been released from prison against the advice of an evaluating psychiatrist was sentenced May 14 to two life sentences without parole for the murders of Chelsea and another teen, Amber Dubois, who vanished without a trace in Escondido in February 2009. It's thought she was abducted while walking to school.

"The murders of Chelsea King and Amber Dubois have shaken the collective soul of our community and beyond," said District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis.

John Albert Gardner III initially denied wrongdoing in both crimes, but last month pleaded guilty to both murders and to an attempted rape on another young woman in December. The plea arrangement saved him from the death penalty and spared the teens' families the trauma of lengthy trials with intense media coverage. Ms. Dumanis said prosecutors could not convict Gardner with only his confession and no physical evidence tying him to Amber's death.

"The death penalty is a hollow promise in this state," Ms. Dumanis has repeatedly said.

State Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, San Diego Republican, has introduced "Chelsea's Law" in Sacramento on behalf of the King family. Chelsea's Law would establish the penalty of a life sentence without the possibility of parole for forcible sex crimes against children under age 18 when aggravating circumstances exist.

It also would extend parole for less serious sex crimes, in some cases allowing for lifetime parole and GPS monitoring of the convicted sex offenders. It would further restrict the offendersfrom being in public parks where children congregate.

The law would mandate lifetime parole for less-serious assaults. It has garnered initial bipartisan support and interest from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

At least two Facebook memorial pages have been set up in Chelsea's honor, one under the auspices of the nonprofit Chelsea's Light Foundation, another called One Billion Strong to Remember Chelsea King. One posting at the foundation's page says the group will push for Chelsea's Law equivalent legislation in every state after it passes in California.

Gardner was off parole when Chelsea was murdered. He had been released after serving five years of a six-year prison term for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old neighbor in 2000. On May 14, in addition to the two life terms for the murders, he was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the attempted rape of a college student in December.

Investigators are continuing to search records in San Diego and counties to the north - Riverside and San Bernardino - for any links Gardner may have with other people who have been reported missing.

Amber's skeletal remains were uncovered in March on a rugged hill north of the tiny community of Pala, approximately 30 miles from her school, 13 months after she went missing.

Authorities said Gardner led investigators to Amber's remains after he was taken into custody in Chelsea's murder. Chelsea's body was found a few days earlier in a shallow grave on the shoreline of Lake Hodges.

Divers, helicopters and sniffing dogs took part in the searches for the girls. More than a thousand phone calls from residents, including several psychics, contributed information to law enforcement officers, as San Diegans stayed riveted to news of the cases. Thousands of people attended vigils and memorials for the girls,and at least 6,000 people helped searched for them.

Gardner's sentencing drew a crowd that had to be accommodated in an overflow room to watch the event at the downtown San Diego courthouse. Others stood, in support of Chelsea and Amber, on the steps of the Hall of Justice. Among them were the families of other murdered or raped children, many carrying sunflowers or lilies in memory of the recently slain teens and their loved ones.

State Assembly Bill 1844, informally called "Chelsea's Law," was introduced by Mr. Fletcher shortly after Gardner's arrest. Mr. Fletcher said he and the Kings traveled to Washington to meet with California elected officials, including the state's two senators, Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, both Democrats.

"We had a productive day of meetings," Mr. Fletcher said Tuesday.

The bill has the support of a growing number of people who have galvanized into a force, known as Chelsea's Light Foundation, since Chelsea's death.

Amber's father, Maurice Dubois, has been talking to legislators about ways to help authorities respond more quickly when children disappear. He plans to publicly outline a plan May 25, on National Missing Children's Day.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/21/slain-teens-parents-seek-tougher-sex-crime-terms/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.