March 29, 2024, 09:12:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mont. mom hid dead 2 yo son in car trunk nearly 2 months GIVEN 55 YEAR SENTENCE  (Read 4679 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: June 12, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TODDLER_IN_TRUNK?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Jun 12, 7:01 PM EDT

Mont. woman who hid son in car trunk pleads guilty

By KAHREN DEINES
Associated Press Writer

Jun 12, 7:01 PM EDT

Mont. woman who hid son in car trunk pleads guilty

By KAHREN DEINES
Associated Press Writer

HELENA, Mont. (AP) -- A Montana woman accused of hiding the body of her 2-year-old son in the trunk of her car for most of last summer pleaded guilty Friday to negligent homicide and evidence tampering.

Summer ManyWhiteHorses told detectives that her son, James, fell from a high chair on the night of May 28 while she was watching television in another room.

She put his body in the trunk of her car and drove around the state with her 11-year-old daughter for nearly two months, paying for food, gas, hotel rooms and alcohol with government checks meant to take care of the boy, who was autistic.

ManyWhiteHorses appeared before a judge in Great Falls on Friday, three days before her trial was scheduled to start. The 31-year-old woman could be punished with up to 100 years in prison when she is sentenced next month in Cascade County District Court.

Child welfare officials began looking for the toddler in July, when ManyWhiteHorses was arrested and charged with drunken driving after crashing her car into a parked vehicle in Great Falls. Police officials did not search her trunk, and the car was towed.

Welfare officials filed a missing person's report on Sept. 4. The next day, police contacted ManyWhiteHorses, who told them her son's remains were in the trunk. When police found the body, it was badly decomposed.

Autopsy records for the boy showed a fracture to the head and other injuries. Cascade County Attorney John Parker said that by combining medical evidence with witness testimony, he was prepared to prove the boy suffered from severe child abuse and neglect.

"We have evidence that during his two years of life he was beaten probably more than 100 times," Parker said.

ManyWhiteHorses originally was charged with deliberate homicide and evidence tampering.

According to the affidavit, ManyWhiteHorses said she thought her son was alive after he fell from his high chair.

She said she laid the toddler next to her on the couch, but when she woke up the next morning, he wasn't breathing, so she tried to resuscitate him with CPR.

She said she eventually wrapped her son's body in a blanket and placed it in her car trunk.

(This version CORRECTS the woman's name to ManyWhiteHorses throughout.)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:54:03 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 07:30:24 PM »

Dear Lord!what the hell next? 
no one knows what happens in the homes of these little children who suffer so much!
the daughter is old enough that she may be able to give the LE some info as to how this little one was treated during his short life...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TODDLER_IN_TRUNK?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Aug 12, 6:31 PM EDT

Woman sentenced to 55 years in son's death

GREAT FALLS, Mont. (AP) -- A woman who hid the body of her 2-year-old son in the trunk of her car for most of last summer has been sentenced to 55 years in prison.

Summer ManyWhiteHorses was sentenced Wednesday to 40 years in prison for negligent homicide and 15 years for tampering with evidence in the death of James ManyWhiteHorses.

ManyWhiteHorses pleaded guilty in June.

Prosecutors sought a 100-year prison sentence based on evidence that the toddler had suffered from severe child abuse and neglect.

---

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »

Muffy, have you seen what happened to her daughter?  My heart is breaking for this young girl too, and what she must have suffered.  At least, this woman pled guilty and this daughter wasn't required to testify in court (I hope)!

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »

Am also wondering what happened with the daughter.  Where she is now, as well as how she was treated by this woman in the past.  Some major therapy is likely in store for the girl for a good portion of her lifetime.  Sigh. 

Doesn't seem that there is one place safe anymore for the children of America.   

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »

James Many White Horses' body returned to Browning for burial
By Tribune Staff • October 17, 2009

The body of James Many White Horses was returned to his family in Browning and buried Friday, 18 months after the toddler died — and nearly a year after his mother was sentenced to prison in connection with his death.

James' body had been at the State Crime Lab in Missoula. Two-year-old James died on May 29, 2008, hours after his mother, Summer Many White Horses, didn't seek help, even after it was clear something was critically wrong with her son.

After his death, Many White Horses kept the boy's body hidden in the trunk of her car until he was retrieved by investigators in September of that year.

An autopsy performed at the Montana State Forensic Science Division in Missoula failed to determine an exact cause of death, although injuries were found, including a fracture in his jaw, a dislocated neck, a skull fracture and a bone injury to the toddler's upper left arm.

Summer Many White Horses is currently serving a 55-year prison sentence for negligent homicide and tampering with evidence.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20091017/NEWS01/910170307/James+Many+White+Horses++body+returned+to+Browning+for+burial

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »

Inmate gets 9 months for Social Security fraud
Associated Press | Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 4:15 pm

GREAT FALLS — A 32-year-old Browning woman who is serving a 55-year prison term after being convicted of negligent homicide in the death of her 2-year-old son has been sentenced to nine months in federal prison for continuing to cash his Social Security checks.

Summer ManyWhiteHorses was sentenced Monday by U.S. District Judge Sam Haddon in Great Falls.

ManyWhiteHorses' nine-month sentence for Social Security fraud is to run consecutively to her state prison term. She was also ordered to pay $3,800 in restitution.

Prosecutors say ManyWhiteHorses cashed six Social Security checks meant to help care for her autistic son after the boy died in late May 2008. The boy's body was found in the trunk of his mother's car in September 2008.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_2e2423c0-f409-11de-9567-001cc4c002e0.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.