April 18, 2024, 07:39:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to audit Americorps, Community Organizations, & National Service Orgs?  (Read 1385 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: June 12, 2009, 09:03:55 PM »

Ousted AmeriCorps watchdog defends waste probe

WASHINGTON – An inspector general fired by President Barack Obama said Friday he acted "with the highest integrity" in investigating AmeriCorps and other government-funded national service programs. Gerald Walpin said in an interview with The Associated Press that he reported facts and conclusions "in an honest and full way" while serving as inspector general at the Corporation for National and Community Service.

In a letter to Congress on Thursday, Obama said he had lost confidence in Walpin and was removing him from the position.

Walpin defended his work on Friday. "I know that I and my office acted with the highest integrity as an independent inspector general should act," he said.

Obama's move follows an investigation by Walpin finding misuse of federal grants by a nonprofit education group led by Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, who is an Obama supporter and former NBA basketball star. Johnson and a nonprofit education academy he founded ultimately agree to repay half of $847,000 in grants it had received from AmeriCorps.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090612/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_national_service_inspector_general

I wonder about other monies, and groups like ACORN and the Federal Reserve.  Where is the integrity?  Does transparency really mean slush fund by another name?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 02:33:52 PM »

In April of this year, St. HOPE Academy agreed to pay a $423,836.50 settlement -- $72,836.50 of which would be paid personally by Mayor Johnson.

Brown expressed chagrin that US Attorney's office learned about the investigation into Johnson and St. HOPE through articles in the Sacramento Bee, and he said they found Walpin's comments surrounding the investigation unprofessional.

"Moreover, we considered the IG referral somewhat unusual in that it was accompanied by a letter from Mr. Walpin explaining that he viewed the conduct in this case as egregious and warranted our pursuing the matter criminally and civilly," he wrote.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/06/more-details-emerge-in-president-obamas-firing-of-inspector-general.html

from the comments -

As I understand this story, American taxpayer money was misused. An American citizen appointed to make sure American taxpayer money is not misused found the misuse and made that misuse known. As a result of the findings of the person protecting the taxpayers' interest, there was an order for the misuser to repay a large amount of money.
As a result of his efforts to protect the American taxpayer, the person appointed to make sure the taxpayers are not being ripped off is fired.

This is insanity. How can any American defend the firing?

Posted by: pagar | Jun 14, 2009 10:31:03 AM

CNCS/Americorps sounds like a big old slush fund for Obama supporters.

Posted by: mbs | Jun 14, 2009 9:27:07 AM

For some people, half a million dollars IS a lot of money.  For the new administration, they seem only to see TRILLIONS of dollars, to be paid for on the backs of future generations. 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.