March 28, 2024, 11:00:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Female body in apple orchard 6/12/09 Garfield County CO (ID'd JANINE JOHLER)  (Read 11668 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: June 14, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »

Girl's body left in apple orchard near I-70 in Garfield County

Updated: 06/12/2009 10:56:32 PM MDT

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:33:36 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

Murdered girl’s body found in Canyon Creek

Saturday, June 13, 2009

GLENWOOD SPRINGS — Authorities are investigating the murder of a young girl whose body was found in a bag Friday morning in a Canyon Creek orchard.

Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario said the body was found in the brush between 10 and 11 a.m., by a high school-age boy who was working at the apple orchard.“It’s a homicide investigation at this point,” Vallario said.

Vallario said investigators had no suspects, and it was unclear if the murder occurred nearby or if it may have taken place in another state — with the orchard, which sits near Interstate 70, being used as a “dump site.” He said it was uncertain when the murder occurred and that Garfield County had no record of disappearances that might be connected.

Vallario said the investigation may spread to “other areas, or worst case, other states.”

Vallario said he couldn’t comment on any specifics about the victim until the coroner’s office investigated further, but a person familiar with the investigation who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed the victim was a pre-adolescent girl whose body was partially dismembered.

Thomas Williams, who lives less than a mile from the site, said a friend’s son discovered the body of a young girl partly in a bag. He said his friend described the body as partly decomposed.

Yellow crime scene tape was wrapped around two rows of apple trees about a quarter-mile north of the I-70 interchange and close to Highway 6.

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the Mesa County Coroner’s Office was assisting in the investigation. About a dozen investigators, some in uniform, others in blaze-orange vests, spent Friday evening combing an adjacent field for clues aided by search dogs while horses grazed in the orchard nearby. Vallario said the investigation was expected to continue into the night.

Mesa Coroner Rob Kurtzman was expected to take the body back to his Grand Junction lab for further investigation. More information was expected to be released on Saturday.

The body was found in a corner of the orchard near Canyon Creek Road, about five miles west of Glenwood Springs.

The owner of the orchard, Kirstie Steiner, of Glenwood Springs, declined to comment.

Deputies blocked access to Canyon Creek, leaving residents parked along the state highway until about 6:30 p.m., when it was opened only to residential traffic.

The Colorado State Patrol, Garfield County Coroner’s Office, the district attorney’s office and Garfield County Search and Rescue assisted in the investigation.
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/135019

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 01:56:06 PM »

Sheriff still mum on details of dead body found in Canyon Creek
Authorities say autopsy was to be conducted in Grand Junction

Sunday, June 14, 2009
Garfield County authorities remained tight-lipped on Saturday concerning any and all information about human remains found in an orchard in the Canyon Creek community the day before, June 12.

The remains, which are widely believed to be those of a dismembered young girl, were removed from the orchard and taken to Grand Junction, where an autopsy was scheduled to be performed at 4 p.m. on Saturday by the Mesa County Coroner's Office.

Mesa County coroner's representatives referred all calls to the Garfield County Sheriff's Office.

Holly Hopple, spokeswoman for the Garfield County Sheriff's Office, said that there would “probably not” be any information released immediately following the autopsy, stressing that the investigation into the finding of the body is in its early stages and is continuing.

The body was found by a teenage boy working in the orchard on the morning of June 12, reportedly helping to clear out trash and debris, and has alarmed the community into paroxysms of rumor and tall tales.

But according to one local man with ties to the youth who found the remains, there may be no cause for alarm. 

Kent Jolley, who is a friend of the family of the youth who found the body, acknowledged that “people are freaked out. It makes them angry to hear about it.”

But, noting that the body was found near the I-70 Canyon Creek interchange, he theorized, “it may not have been a local crime or a local girl,” but may have been dumped in this area after being brought here from elsewhere.

The youth, who has not been identified by authorities, called the sheriff's office at 10:54 a.m. on June 12 and reported the find, which has been described as a girl's body in a bag of some kind, lying on the ground in the orchard.

For the remainder of the day, officers and agents from the sheriff's office, the coroner's office, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the Garfield County Sheriff's Office Search And Rescue group and other agencies combed the orchard for evidence.

Hopple said the search parties broke off at dusk, leaving the scene to be guarded by deputies until work resumed at 8 a.m. Saturday. She said the Mesa County Search And Rescue organization joined the effort on Saturday.

Hopple and other sheriff's office officials have said they have no knowledge of outstanding missing persons reports that might be connected with the apparent homicide, and Vallario has been quoted as saying there is no evidence that the body was brought from elsewhere and dumped in the orchard.

As for the rampant rumors in the Glenwood Springs community, such as a story that the girl's torso was not found, or that the find involved multiple bags of remains, Hopple said, “None of that has been confirmed. All of that has been just hearsay, and we've been hearing it, too.”

Despite rumors that the body may have been in pieces in several different bags, officials are not denying or confirming those stories, according to Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario.

The incident is being treated as a homicide, as is any unattended death, Vallario said, but there are no suspects at this time.

Instead, the investigation is still focused on collecting evidence at the scene of the crime.

“We are still searching for evidenciary items such as a cigarette butt or a body part, if that were the case,” Vallario said. “Right now, we're not even in the ball park of identifying a suspect. We're still in crime scene mode.”

Vallario said they are still trying to figure out who the victim is.

Regarding whether the community at large should be worried about further incidents, Hopple reiterated the statements of Sheriff Lou Vallario, who said Friday evening that “people should not necessarily be afraid. We do not have any reason to believe we have a maniac running around killing people.”

Neighbors in the area, who asked not to be identified, said they have been told not to be alarmed and believe this is an isolated incident

“We were told not to be worried, but to lock our doors,” one neighbor said. “We recognize this was a person and this person has a family. So far, nobody is telling us anything. But people are not afraid.”

Vallario also said that there was no cause for alarm.

“This is a single crime scene with a single body,” he said. “The suspect was probably known to the victim. But right now, all we have is a dead body thrown in an apple orchard and we're trying to figure out what's going on.”

Hopple, speaking Saturday afternoon, added, “There's no indication to believe that people need to hide behind locked doors. We don't want people to panic. We don't want people to change what they're doing, as part of their daily lives.”

Hopple was unable to predict whether there would be more information available on Sunday concerning the results of the autopsy.

In a prepared statement, she wrote that, as of Saturday, “Further disbursement of information regarding this incident will be relayed to the media via press release only, and no longer on an individual basis.”

She said Sheriff Vallario would not be taking calls from reporters on the matter.
http://www.postindependent.com/article/20090614/VALLEYNEWS/906139998/1083&ParentProfile=1074
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:59:27 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

califmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »

This is just so sad... why, why, why??!!  My gosh, will it ever stop? 

It just breaks my heart knowing that there is a family (provided they had nothing to do with this) out there missing this little girl and now they won't be able to see her, hug her, talk to her and watch her grow up.  My heart goes out to them when they find out the truth about their little girl. 

an angelic monkey  My heart, thoughts and prayers are with this little girl & her family.   an angelic monkey

♥ Justice for Caylee ♥
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »

New details about victim found in apple orchard

GARFIELD COUNTY - A dismembered body found in an apple orchard on Friday was that of a white woman between 20 and 35 years old, according to an autopsy report released Sunday.

The autopsy details contradicted a victim description first reported by KREX-TV in Grand Junction that the victim was believed to be a girl between 10 and 12 years old.

The Garfield County Sheriff's Office says the autopsy revealed the woman had multiple tattoos and had undergone extensive dental work during her life and had brown hair with blonde highlights. However, authorities have not been able to figure out her identity yet.

The woman's dismembered body was discovered by a teenager on Friday around just before 11 a.m. on private property on Canyon Creek Road, about five miles west of Glenwood Springs.

Deputies say it's possible the body was dumped there by someone driving along Interstate 70.

Authorities were out on Sunday recovering more of the woman's remains.

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the investigation.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=117673&catid=339

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »

Jun 14, 2009 1:41 pm  Woman's Body In Apple Orchard Was Dismembered
GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) ―
Authorities say a body found under apple trees in an orchard near the highway was not a young girl but a woman who had been dismembered.

The Garfield County Sheriff's office said Sunday the victim is a Caucasian woman who was between 20 and 35. Sheriff's spokeswoman Holly Hopple said authorities have not recovered all of the woman's remains. She has yet to be identified.

Hopple said the woman had extensive dental work, had multiple tattoos, and had brown hair with blonde highlights.

A worker found her body Friday morning in an apple orchard about a quarter mile from Interstate 70 near Glenwood Springs. Hopple said it's possible she may have been dumped there after she was killed somewhere else.

Previous news reports said the victim was a young girl.

http://cbs4denver.com/wireapnewsco/Woman.s.body.2.1043885.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 02:58:56 PM »

Well, autopsy done. She apparently had skin left as they mention tattoos. It would help if we had descriptions of the tattoos. If they are not recognizable, then say so, but at least say where on the body parts the tattoos were located. Long hair or short hair? Tall/short? Why not say if any clothing was found with her? That may help to identify her. Plus, with autopsy complete, they should be able to say apx. how long she has been there. These things could help w/ ID. COME ON! Give us more to work with! Drives me nuts.. 

More details emerge on body found near Glenwood Springs
Caucasian woman with 'numerous tattoos' not yet identified
GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado — A post-mortem examination has confirmed that the body found Friday in an orchard west of Glenwood Springs was that of a dismembered Caucasian woman, between 20 and 35 years old.

The woman had brown hair showing blonde highlights and sported what are described as “numerous tattoos,” investigators said.

The woman has not been identified, according to Garfield County Sheriff's Office public information deputy Holly Hopple. The autopsy showed that at some point in her life she had undergone what Hopple called “extensive dental work.”

The sheriff's office did not disclose how long the body had lain in the orchard, whether she was clothed and whether she was wrapped in a bag or other material. Authorities did not disclose whether there is any indication she was molested or otherwise injured prior to her death.

But Hopple said police are asking that anyone with information about a missing person who might fit the description of the woman found in the Canyon Creek orchard outside Glenwood contact the sheriff's office at 945-0453.

“That we know of, she does not match any description in Garfield County of missing persons,” Hopple said.

The autopsy was performed Saturday by the Mesa County Coroner's Office, and the Garfield County Sheriff's Office released details late Sunday morning.
http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20090615/NEWS/906159988/-1/RSS01

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »

Search finished in Colo. orchard where body found
posted by: Jen Marnowski     41 mins ago

GLENWOOD SPRINGS (AP) - Investigators have finished searching a western Colorado apple orchard where a woman's dismembered body was found but they say some of the remains are still missing.

The body was found by an orchard worker Friday about five miles west of Glenwood Springs.

Garfield County sheriff's investigators said Monday the victim hasn't been identified. She is white, between 20 and 35, and had brown hair with blonde highlights, multiple tattoos and extensive dental work.

Investigators say the woman doesn't match the description of anyone reported missing in Garfield County.

The cause of death hasn't been released.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=117795&catid=188

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:26:28 PM »

This is horrible. This poor woman..and the poor young man who found her! Yikes, he will be surely troubled by this for a long tme.

Dismemberment..wow that is violent. I wonder if this was for a snuff film? That or someone was very, very upset with this woman. 
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »

Could trhis be the mom of the missing girl Haylee that was traveling with the SO? I am posting the link over there.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »

Could trhis be the mom of the missing girl Haylee that was traveling with the SO? I am posting the link over there.

Tracy...posted to you on Haylee's thread...
this could be her! you could be onto something...I think that you should call LE with this tip..seriously!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 05:38:33 PM »

Authorities identify body found in apple orchard

GLENWOOD SPRINGS (AP) - Garfield County authorities have identified a body found five miles west of Glenwood Springs as 38-year-old Janine Ann Johler of Aurora.

Authorities have been trying to identify the woman since her body was found by a farmworker last week. Johler, who was identified through her fingerprints, was the victim of a homicide.

The Garfield County sheriff's office is working with Aurora police on the investigation into Johler's death.

The victim was initially described as a young girl. Authorities later said she was a woman who had been dismembered.
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=118058&catid=339

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 09:12:16 PM »

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/articles/2009/06/25/news/metro_aurora/doc4a4434c944db6085087626.txt
Reward offered for information in Johler killing

By BRANDON JOHANSSON
The Aurora Sentinel
Published: Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:44 PM MDT
AURORA | Garfield County authorities are offering a $1,000 reward for information about the slaying of an Aurora woman whose body was found in the western Colorado county this month.

A passerby found Janine Ann Johler’s body June 12 in an apple orchard about five miles west of Glenwood Springs.

Johler, 38, had been murdered and her body dismembered, deputies said, but officials have not released her cause of death.

Police in Aurora and Garfield County are investigating the case and few details have been released.

Deputies are asking anyone with information on the case to call Garfield County Crime Stoppers at 970-945-0101 or Denver Metro Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867. Callers may remain anonymous.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »

According to The Denver Post, Johler had filed three requests for restraining orders against Thomas Gordon Burns, 51, whose relationship to Johler is unclear. Burns has been held in the Arapahoe County Jail since Jan. 18.

A correctional officer at the Arapaho County Jail said Burns is being held on a fugitive of justice charge out of Arapahoe County for violating a protection order ($100,000 bond); a fugitive of justice charge out of Arapahoe County for contempt of court ($100,000 bond); a fugitive of justice charge out of Arapahoe County for violating a protection order and resisting arrest ($100,000 bond); a fugitive of justice charge out of Lakewood for larceny ($7,500 bond); a fugitive of justice charge out of Lakewood for failure to appear ($2,000 bond) and a fugitive of justice charge out of Lakewood for petty theft ($1,000 bond). His total bond amount is $310,500.

Deputies in Arapahoe County told the Aspen Daily News yesterday they would look into whether Johler might have been a victim in any of those cases and, if so, whether that information could be released to the public.

Asked if Burns is a suspect in either Johler’s disappearance or her murder, Hopple said she didn’t “have any information on him at all” and all she knew about him and his connection to Johler is what she had read in newspapers.

“We don’t have a suspect yet. That is one of the things we are working on,” Hopple said.

There are five or six deputies from the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office working on the case, she said. They are being assisted by the Aurora Police Department, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the 9th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, the Colorado State Patrol and other applicable agencies.

hoop@aspendailynews.com

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/135138

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 02:16:09 PM »

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20090711/VALLEYNEWS/907109996/1083&ParentProfile=1074
Authorities quiet in Johler murder case
Saturday, July 11, 2009

Staff Reports
Post Independent
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado
 GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado — Authorities have not released any new information regarding the murder investigation of Janine Ann Johler.

A Garfield County Coroner confirmed that the autopsy report has not been returned as of Friday evening. According to Garfield County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Holly Hopple, no information regarding the current status of the investigation was available.

Johler's dismembered body was found in an apple orchard, just off Interstate 70 and Canyon Creek Road, on June 12. A teenage orchard worker found Johler's remains in a bag that may have been torn open by animals. Her body was identified on June 19. She was last seen her Aurora home on May 1, and according to a 9NEWS report at the time of her disappearance, the Aurora Police described her as having a diminished mental capacity.

Authorities released a statement asking for anyone with information regarding the case to contact either the Garfield County Sheriff's Office at (970) 945-0453, Garfield County Crime Stoppers at (970) 9450-0101 or Denver Metro Crime Stoppers at (720) 913-7867. However, the Sheriff's Office was unable to comment on if the request yielded any credible information.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »

From the FBI / ViCAP ALERT

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/johler_aurora_co.pdf

Johler murder investigation continuing in Canyon Creek
Garfield County Sheriff's Office returns to crime scene with help from nonprofit NecroSearch

Sunday, October 25, 2009
CANYON CREEK, Colorado — According to a Garfield County Sheriff's Office press release, the sheriff's office, along with Garfield County Search and Rescue and NecroSearch International, have begun an environmental assessment of the landscape and wildlife around the Janine Ann Johler crime scene in Canyon Creek, near Glenwood Springs.

Johler's dismembered body was found in the apple orchard, just off Interstate 70 and Canyon Creek Road, on June 12. A teenage orchard worker found Johler's remains in a bag, which authorities at the time suspected may have been torn open by animals.

Detectives with Garfield County Sheriff's Office have requested the assistance of NecroSearch International in an effort to continue the investigation and obtain additional forensic evidence in the case, according to the press release.

According to its website, www.necrosearch.org, NecroSearch International is a “non-profit organization that specializes in the search for clandestine gravesites.” Its mission is to “assist law enforcement agencies by providing applied research, training, and on-site investigations.” NecroSearch's scientists and investigators work on a volunteer basis.

NecroSearch employs a variety of techniques including the use of cadaver dogs, entomology, the study of animal scavenging and serology, among others.

Johler's body was identified on June 19, and her last known residence was in Aurora, a suburb of Denver. She was last seen at her Aurora home on May 1, and according to reports at the time of her disappearance, the Aurora Police described her as having a diminished mental capacity.

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20091025/VALLEYNEWS/910249987/-1/RSS

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 09:02:29 PM »

Specialized search team hunts for clues in orchard murder
Aspen Daily News Staff Report
Monday, October 26, 2009

The search for clues in the murder of 38-year-old Janine Johler of Aurora resumed over the weekend in the Canyon Creek apple orchard where her dismembered remains were found.

Garfield County Search and Rescue volunteers and sheriff’s office personnel helped a firm called NecroSearch International look for clues on Saturday. The team has begun an environmental assessment of the landscape and wildlife around the crime scene, according to a sheriff’s office press release.

“Detectives with Garfield County Sheriff’s Office have requested the assistance of NecroSearch International in an effort to continue the forward movement of this case and obtain additional forensic evidence to support the ultimate outcome of a criminal prosecution,” said the release.

No further information was given.
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/137295

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »

Still unsolved as of 6/11/11, let's give her a face

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/tag/janine-ann-johler/

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.