March 29, 2024, 06:46:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tyler McMillan 13 yo-Died 6/08 after being tied to tree by parents overnight  (Read 5328 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: June 16, 2009, 12:52:52 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TIED_TO_TREE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Jun 15, 3:38 PM EDT

NC man enters plea in death of son tied to tree

TARBORO, N.C. (AP) -- A North Carolina man whose 13-year-old son died after being tied to a tree overnight has entered a plea to second-degree murder in which he acknowledges prosecutors have enough evidence to convict him.

Senior Assistant District Attorney Steve Graham said Monday that Brice McMillan entered an Alford plea at a hearing in Edgecombe County Superior Court. The Alford plea means McMillan does not admit guilt but acknowledges prosecutors have enough evidence to convict him.

McMillan and his wife, Sandra McMillan, were charged in June 2008 with murder and felony child abuse when their son, Tyler, died of dehydration and heat stroke after being tied to a tree overnight as punishment.

Graham said McMillan will be sentenced after his wife's trial in July.

I've posted this here so it won't get lost.  I believe there may be more about this case here at SM, it's seems familiar to me.  Nut, if you find anything on this, please post.  I will be looking around myself and if we find it, we can merge the topics.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:45:36 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »

Muffy...I thought we had this one here too, but I can't find it. I do know there is a mountain of info in a thread at HFTM...perhaps that is why we remember it so well??

Yeah...get a look at these freaks....

Brice McMillan and his wife, Sandra McMillan, were charged in June 2008 with murder and felony child abuse when their son, Tyler, died of dehydration and heat stroke after being tied to a tree overnight as punishment.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:29:21 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/4715992/
Posted: Mar. 11, 2009

TARBORO, N.C. — A woman charged with murder in the death of her 13-year-old stepson, who died last June after being tied to a tree overnight, has been released on bond, authorities said.

Sandra McMillan posted a $200,000 bond Monday. She pleaded not guilty in January to first-degree murder, felony child abuse, aiding and abetting murder and aiding and abetting felony child abuse.

McMillan and her husband, Brice, are accused of tying up Tyler McMillan overnight last June for being disobedient. The teen also was tied to the tree the next night, and Sandra McMillan found him unresponsive the following afternoon.

An autopsy determined Tyler McMillan died of dehydration and heat stroke.

Superior Court Judge Milton Fitch ordered that Sandra McMillan must live with her cousin in Cary and wear a monitoring device. She also wouldn't be able to have any contact with her daughter, who lives in Florida with her grandparents, aside from a specified number of phone calls that the grandparents would monitor.

Brice McMillan remains in the Edgecombe County Jail with no bond.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »

Tarboro, N.C. — The father of a 13-year-old boy who died after being tied to a tree pleaded guilty Monday to second-degree murder.

During a pre-trial hearing, Brice McMillan, 42, entered an Alford plea in exchange for testifying against his wife, Sandra McMillan, who is charged with murder and felony child abuse.
Both were arrested a year ago after their son, Tyler McMillan, died of dehydration and heat stroke.

Sandra McMillan, 37, the boy's stepmother, is out of jail on bond. Her trial is slated to begin July 6. Brice McMillan will be sentenced after her trial.

In an Alford plea, a defendant pleads guilty, while maintaining his or her innocence, and admits it is in his or her best interest to take the plea deal because there is sufficient evidence that could find him or her guilty.

Brice McMillan told authorities that he twice tied his son to a tree as punishment for disobedience and that the boy was left outside overnight on the second occasion, authorities said.

The state on Monday did not provide further details of the crime but told a judge that Brice McMillan talked to investigators the day his son was found and then again in December, when he provided investigators with additional details about the case.

According to an autopsy report, Tyler McMillan had a body temperature of 105.6 degrees Fahrenheit when he was taken to a hospital. Tests after his death also showed a pattern of dehydration, the report states.

The boy also had insect bites over his arms and legs and marks on his wrists and ankles that were consistent with plastic ties, according to the autopsy report.

He also had bruises on his buttocks and legs that appeared to have been caused by a rod-like instrument, the report states.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5356963/

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.