March 18, 2024, 11:00:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Austin Singer and Songwriter Steven Fromholz Dead at Age 68 RIP  (Read 6750 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: January 20, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »

http://www.austin360.com/weblogs/austin-music-source/2014/jan/19/steven-fromholz-ground-breaking-austin-songwriter-/
Steven Fromholz, groundbreaking Austin songwriter, dies
January 19, 2014

Tom Lankes AMERICAN-STATESMAN
Steve Fromholz at Willie Nelson Picnic.

Steven Fromholz, one of Austin's foremost songwriters during the 1970s outlaw country era, died Sunday from an accident with a firearm, his family reported. He was 68.

Born in Temple, Fromholz rose to prominence with a 1976 solo album for ABC Records titled "A Rumor in My Own Time." One of its tracks, "I'd Have to Be Crazy," subsequently was recorded by Willie Nelson, who issued the 1978 Fromholz album "Jus' Playin' Along" on his Lone Star label.
Fromholz later released several albums on his own label, Felicity, named after one of his two daughters. His other daughter, Darcie, also lives in Austin.
Fromholz's career got a boost in 1998 when Lyle Lovett recorded all three songs of Fromholz's "Texas Trilogy" on his two-disc set "Step Inside This House," a tribute to Texas songwriters. The Trilogy initially appeared on Fromholz's first record, "Frummox," a 1969 duo project with Dan McCrimmon. It also inspired a book that Hillis and Bruce Jordan co-authored, "Texas Trilogy: Life in a Small Texas Town" (2002, University of Texas Press).
Fromholz suffered a stroke about 10 years ago but had largely recovered over the years, Hillis said. In 2007, Fromholz was selected Poet Laureate of Texas.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:52:52 AM »

http://www.metrolyrics.com/id-have-to-be-crazy-lyrics-willie-nelson.html
I'd Have To Be Crazy Lyrics

"I'd Have To Be Crazy" was written by Steven Fromholz.

I'd have to be crazy
To stop all my singing
And never play music again

You'd call me a fool
If I grabbed up a top hat
And ran out to flag down the wind

And I'd have to be weird
To grow me a beard
Just to see what the rednecks would do

But I'd have to be crazy
Plumb out of my mind
To fall out of love with you

Now I know I've done weird things
I told people I heard things
When silence was all that abounds

Been days when it pleased me
To be on my knees
Following ants, as they crawled across the ground

I've been insane on a train
But I'm still me again
The place where I hold you is true

So I know I'm alright
'Cause I'd have to be crazy

No I don't wanna intend to
But should there come a day
When I say that I don't love you
You probably waited

I sure would be dingy
To live in an envelope
Waiting alone for a stamp

You'd swear I was loco
If I rubbed for a genie
While burning my hand on the lamp

And I may not be normal
But nobody is
So I'd like to say 'fore I'm through

I'd have to be crazy
Plumb out of my mind

I'd have to be crazy
Plumb out of my mind

SONGWRITERS
STEVEN FROMHOLZ

PUBLISHED BY
LYRICS © BUG MUSIC

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Legendary-Texas-picker-poet-Fromholz-dies-at-68-5158358.php
Legendary Texas picker-poet Fromholz dies at 68
January 19, 2014

Steven Fromholz, a gifted and esteemed songwriter who was named poet laureate of Texas in 2007, has died, according to his family. He was 68.

Fromholz's "I'd Have to Be Crazy," which was covered by Willie Nelson, was probably his best-known work, though "Texas Trilogy" - an epic narrative centered around central Texas Bosque County - was his career-defining piece, a richly detailed and characterized trio of songs ("Daybreak," "Train Ride" and "Bosque County Romance") that was covered by his admirer Lyle Lovett Lovett, who called Fromholz a "friend and teacher," said "Texas Trilogy" "isn't a song, it's a transcendent Texas bible, a local setting with universal meaning."

"Steven Fromholz and his work will be remembered, enjoyed and studied as music and literature forever," Lovett said. "His insight into human nature was equaled only by his ability to write about it in such detail that he made his listeners feel as if they were standing in the shoes of his characters, seeing what they saw, feeling what they felt."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »

http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local-news-119078/texas-music-legend-fromholz-dies-11986791/
Texas Music Legend Fromholz Dies
January 20, 2014

The so called 'Cosmic Cowboy' outlaw country music of the 1970s, the music that made the world want to 'go home with the Armadillo,' was made up of headliners who ranged from Willie Nelson to Jerry Jeff Walker to Michael Martin Murphey.

But the sound that coalesced around the old Armadillo World Headquarters and essentially turned Austin into the groundbreaking 'live music capital of the world' that it is today would probably not have happened without the music of songwriter and 'Texas Poet Laureate' Steven Fromholz, who died Sunday at the age of 68.

Fromholz wrote music for artists as varied as Nelson to Lyle Lovett, and was also a singer in his own right, playing his trade in the venues of Sixth Street for decades.

Fromholz died in what his family said was a firearms accident, as he prepared to shoot feral hogs which were a menace to his ranch in Schleicher County, south of San Angelo.

Fromholz' albums include the iconic Texas songs of "A Rumor in my Own Time" as well as his two "Frummox" albums, and "Step Inside This House."  According to his web site, Fromholz was planning a 70th birthday concert and tour next year.  His best known song "I'd Have to be Crazy" was covered by Willie Nelson and was listed as one of the 'essential' Texas country songs.  It was really the only commercial success of Fromholz' highly influential career.

Fromholz, who had a decades-long partnership with Nelson, was also a frequent performer at Nelson's 'Willie Nelson Picnic' concerts which have taken place off and on around July Fourth for the past forty years.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »

http://kut.org/post/texas-singer-songwriter-steven-fromholz-dies
Texas Singer-Songwriter Steven Fromholz Dies
January 20, 2014

Texas singer-songwriter Steven Fromholz died after a hunting accident this weekend near Eldorado, Texas. He was 68.

The Schleicher County Sheriff's Office told the Associated Press Fromholz was shot when a rifle discharged as it fell to the ground while being transferred from one vehicle to another.

Steven Fromholz was well-known in the Austin music scene and among fans of 1970s outlaw country. He was named a Texas Poet Laureate in 2007.

Fromholz is most famous for his series of songs called the “Texas Trilogy.” Lyle Lovett later recorded the tunes.

In fact, Austin–American Statesman music writer Peter Blackstock says many famous artists were influenced by Fromholz’s work – and often had more commercial success with it.
More...

(Slide show with images in article)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »

http://www.fwweekly.com/2014/01/20/steven/
Texas Music Icon Steven Fromholz Dies In Hunting Accident
January 20, 2014

Singer-songwriter, poet, actor, outdoorsman, and good guy Steven Fromholz died yesterday from an accidental rifle shot while hunting at an Eldorado ranch not far from San Angelo, according to the Schleicher County Sheriff’s Office.

Fromholz was 68.

Chief Deputy George Arista said Fromholz was moving a Rossi .44-magnum lever-action rifle in a soft case that wasn’t zipped at the bottom. The rifle dropped out of the case, struck the ground, and discharged.

The accident occurred shortly after noon on Sunday. Fromholz was still alive but unconscious when deputies arrived. He died en route to the hospital, Arista said.

The bullet discharged, went through the case, hit Fromholz at the bottom of his left wrist, passed through the other side, and struck him just below his right eye, Arista said.

“A Winchester lever-action has got a bar on the front of the firing pin that will not let the hammer rest on the firing pin unless you squeeze the trigger,” Arista said. “The Rossi didn’t have that on it.”

Fromholz, who was with his girlfriend at the time, was also carrying a .357 revolver in a holster.

“They were fixing to go hog hunting,” Arista said. “She was getting some wire cutters and some corn out of a pickup when she heard the gun go off. She thought he was shooting at a hog.”

Fromholz didn’t respond after she asked what he was shooting at. She walked to the other side of the truck and found Fromholz lying face down on the ground, Arista said.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:00:08 PM »

http://www.austin360.com/weblogs/austin-music-source/2014/feb/03/fromholz-memorial-draws-hundreds-downtown/
Fromholz memorial draws hundreds downtown
February 3, 2014

Hundreds of musicians and well-wishers from Austin and beyond gathered Sunday afternoon at Palm Door on Sixth to remember the great Texas singer-songwriter Steven Fromholz, who died Jan. 19 in a ranching accident. Close friend Turk Pipkin served as emcee as a cast of musicians took turns playing Fromholz’s songs, or other songs that fit the occasion.
Ray Benson wisely chose “Turn Turn Turn” by the late Pete Seeger, who passed away a few days after Fromholz, for a group sing-along with nearly all of the couple dozen musicians who performed during the memorial — including Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, Christine Albert, Chris Gage, Darden Smith, Bob Livingston and Bobby Bridger.
Visiting from Colorado was Fromholz’s partner in the circa-1970 duo Frummox, Dan McCrimmon. He and onetime Fromholz bandmate Fletcher Clark played many songs throughout the afternoon. No single moment was more poignant than when Clark and another longtime friend, Craig Toungate, sang “Dear Darcie,” which Fromholz wrote for his daughter when she was young. Fromholz’s two daughters, Darcie and Felicity, danced together to the song a few feet from the stage.

Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yKbbukCXps
Dear Darcie By Steven Fromholz

Published on Jan 20, 2014
Recorded at Poor David's club in Dallas, TX

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.