March 28, 2024, 04:54:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lindsey Baum, 10y missing from McCleary, WA 6/26/09 #1  (Read 770423 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2009, 09:42:17 AM »

Massive search continues for missing McCleary girl
MCCLEARY: No leads days after 10-year-old vanished

JEREMY PAWLOSKI; The Olympian | • Published June 30, 2009

<snipped>

A search of Lindsey’s MySpace page showed only the typical postings of a 10-year-old girl, things that showed her affinity for the movie “Twilight,” Scott said.

<snipped>

http://www.theolympian.com/southsound/story/896613.html

Twilight - Final Trailer  PG13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjNDE2fMjI

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2009, 09:53:33 AM »

I read in one of the articles that Lindsey would never get into a strangers car cause she is too smart for that...I thought of the tv programs that I have seen with children willingly going off with a perfect stranger in search of the strangers puppy even though they had been warned time and time again not to ever go with strangers for any reason...mind you this was an experimental tv program but it proved a valuable point..children are by nature trusting and want to be helpful to adults, not all children of course...but it only takes that one child to make the mistake..
hope that Lindsey is found safe...

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2009, 09:53:53 AM »

http://www.kirotv.com/news/19886572/detail.html

Mother Believes Missing Daughter Was Abducted
Posted: 3:10 pm PDT June 28, 2009
Updated: 6:35 pm PDT June 29, 2009

MCCLEARY, Wash. -- The mother of a missing 10-year-old girl said she believes her daughter was abducted when she walked home last Friday night.

A National Guard helicopter joined the search Monday for Lindsey Baum who vanished when she was in downtown McCleary between 8:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Friday, while walking home from a friend’s house.

“Each hour that goes by, I am starting to get more and more panicky,” said Baum’s mother, Melissa Baum.

Lindsey wanted to spend the night at a friend’s house about six blocks from her own home, but her friend’s mother, Kara Kampen, told her no.

“I told her no you can't spend the night. If I had said yes you can stay the night, she'd be home now,” Kampen said.

Investigators monitored Lindsey Baum’s MySpace page for any clues but said the account has been inactive since she vanished and she left no posts indicating she was planning to leave.

"There was nothing that indicated any preplanned intention for her to run away or go anywhere," said Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott.

Searching the Wildcat Creeks on Monday, the Thurston County Sheriff's Office dive team didn’t find any signs of the missing girl. Other officers took the contents out of Dumpsters making sure nothing goes unsearched.

"With the time that's passed now, it doesn't look good," Scott said.

Searchers said the route Lindsey would have taken from her friend's home to her own home is short and direct. Police said the girl was unlikely to get lost.

“We're convinced somebody took her," Melissa Baum said.

Scott said his department is not yet ready to conclude that Lindsey was abducted because there is no evidence to indicate that's what occurred.

On Sunday, police and FBI stopped cars traveling through town hoping to find anyone who may have seen something.

Police said the key to finding the 10-year-old girl may lie with anyone who saw the girl as she walked home in the small town of McCleary.

“I know she's alive. I know some people are thinking I'm crazy, but I feel it in my heart that she is still alive,” Baum said.

Volunteers have been handing out fliers to motorists and circulating them throughout the county. Search and rescue teams will still search throughout Monday night and continue to knock on doors.

Anyone with information should call the Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office at 1-866-915-8299. Or send an e-mail to: soadmin@co.grays-harbor.wa.us
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:44 AM »

every parents nightmare...

thanks for the article Klaas...

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »

Lindsey left her cell phone at home before leaving to play with friends Friday, said Grays Harbor Undersheriff Rick Scott. Lindsey’s older brother had left the Maple Street residence before his sister after the two had a dispute over the bike Lindsey had borrowed from him that day – a common occurrence between frequently squabbling siblings, Scott added.

Not one of my daughter's children (6-11) have their own cell phone and ... neither do their friends.  They are children.  Parents or designated caregivers are alway within calling/hearing range.

I agree with Scott in regards to sibling squabbling.  However ... considering Lindsey is missing it should be an avenue of investigation. 

How old is Linsey's brother?  I wonder if he appeared on the service station urveillance video?

Janet

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »

Lindsey left her cell phone at home before leaving to play with friends Friday, said Grays Harbor Undersheriff Rick Scott. Lindsey’s older brother had left the Maple Street residence before his sister after the two had a dispute over the bike Lindsey had borrowed from him that day – a common occurrence between frequently squabbling siblings, Scott added.

Not one of my daughter's children (6-11) have their own cell phone and ... neither do their friends.  They are children.  Parents or designated caregivers are alway within calling/hearing range.

I agree with Scott in regards to sibling squabbling.  However ... considering Lindsey is missing it should be an avenue of investigation. 

How old is Linsey's brother?  I wonder if he appeared on the service station urveillance video?

Janet

They have yet to mention how old the brother is. He is older than her and not old enough to drive. So somewhere between 11-15.

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2009, 10:06:47 AM »

I read in one of the articles that Lindsey would never get into a strangers car cause she is too smart for that...I thought of the tv programs that I have seen with children willingly going off with a perfect stranger in search of the strangers puppy even though they had been warned time and time again not to ever go with strangers for any reason...mind you this was an experimental tv program but it proved a valuable point..children are by nature trusting and want to be helpful to adults, not all children of course...but it only takes that one child to make the mistake..

cookie

I saw that program too.  Parents who insisted there was no way their children would go off with a stranger were shock how easily their children could be lured into a vehicle with a stranger.

Children cannot be expected/trusted to make mature decisions regarding their well-being in potentially dangerious situations.  This is why adult supervision ... for their protection ... is where it is at.

Janet   

_____

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »

A few comments regarding previous posts:

As far as the walking home at night contrary to what many think at the time Lindsey went missing it was still quite light out side as has been attested to by local police.

The bottom picture of Kayla - No that is not a mattress on the floor it is a pillow and the pic was taken at a girlfriends house when they were hanging out watching movies.

As for Lindsey's Myspace it was a kid (a friend) of Lindsey's that wrote the "I'm on Lindsey's myspace that is cool" as for the mood that is not what everyone appears to think it is it had been set to that previously in reference to a water war the kids all had. So nothing funny there.

Both girls are not suppose to be accessing Myspace but as of yet that is one site that has not been blocked from all public library computers or all of their friends homes.

- Lastly, I believe the basis of this forum is suppose to be supportive not trying to throw blame but instead provide support and to also discuss ways of trying to get the missing home safely. I understand sometimes trying to dig out information and hopefully leads and ideas means sometimes hitting where it hurts but please remember that above all else - There Is a Child Missing

It was my house that she left and no one can change the fact that I did not walk her home regardless of how light it was outside and that guilt eats me alive and haunts me every minute that ticks by. I wish it would have been dark out when she left because then I would have walked her home and we would not be here right now. If I could change things I would in a heartbeat but I can't now. As for Lindsey's mom she does not have a car but when she did Lindsey never had to walk home in the dark and she wouldn't, her mom was always right there to pick her up. What ifs do nothing more then make a tough situation more difficult for those of us who love Lindsey and they won't help bring her home...

What if...
One of the 2000 McCleary residents would have been outside and seen her
I had walked her home
I had let her stay the night
someone close had a car
it was one minute earlier/later
it was five minutes later/earlier
it was dark outside when she left
she had been walking with someone
police would have been patrolling that area
every sicko out there wasn't allowed a second chance
she had remembered to bring her phone
the police would have called in help before 12 hours had passed

Bumping this up for those that may not have seen it when posted earlier.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »

<snipped>

A search of Lindsey’s MySpace page showed only the typical postings of a 10-year-old girl, things that showed her affinity for the movie “Twilight,” Scott said.

<snipped>

Twilight - Final Trailer  PG13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjNDE2fMjI

I saw Twilight among a theater filled of 10-13 year old girls. The first movie and book was pretty tame. It wasn't any scarier than a Harry Potter movie and the only "sex" was cuddling with clothes on and a kiss or two.

The series gets more dark, scary and more sexy as it goes on. Books 2, 3 and 4.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2009, 10:16:56 AM »

Janet

I am so glad my kids are in their twenties. The unfortunate thing is kids just don't stay kids very long. All the neighbor kids have cell phones, except one, who I over heard begging her mom for one, her mom said no. And as far as movies go, such as Twilight or others that may not be suitable, even if you say no, they go to a friends and watch. I found out years later everything I told my two girls no you can't see such and such, they had over at a friends. So even with best intentions, kids find a way. Very scary.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »

Thanks Muffy. I look back and think, even with supervision and best intentions bad things happen. I feel so bad for everyone, and again, a lot of people get a false sense of security, I know I did when my girls were growing up for awhile we lived in a small town, where I grew up, and you get a mind set that you are safe.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »

I really think that it is coming to the point where all of us will want to have GPS systems on our children. I think that it would be an awesome tool to keep track of our kids...Yes, we might be constantly watching our kids while in our care..But what happens when the child is visiting with other kids and perhaps the mother or caregiver turns her back for a minute to care for another child? and the unspeakable happens...a stranger lurking grabs one of the kids and takes off.....now with the GPS, the child can be tracked...
I have looked into GPS systems for my grand daughter ...she can't be watched every minute no matter how hard everyone tries...she goes to school, she goes to birthday parties...she has a life that is very social and not always with a family member...it is very scary that the world has come to GPS ing innocent children...but I feel that it has!
I am not opposed to young children having a cell phone I guess for this reason alone...a phone where the child can only call certain numbers or 911 if needed...would also have a tracking system on the phone...in this case, Lindsey didn't take her phone with her...sigh...
all just my opinions on the above...

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »

cookie

I saw that program too.  Parents who insisted there was no way their children would go off with a stranger were shock how easily their children could be lured into a vehicle with a stranger.

Children cannot be expected/trusted to make mature decisions regarding their well-being in potentially dangerious situations.  This is why adult supervision ... for their protection ... is where it is at.

Janet   

I agree Janet but I also think, you can't watch and protect your child 24 hours a day, that's why it's important that educate and train your child how to react and protect themselves for those moments. There are safety programs out there that teach children what lures sickos will use to try and lure them, they do a lot of role play on what kids should do and how to react in different situations. They also teach them good and bad touch, how even someone you know can hurt you, physical abuse, school violence and bullying...and what to do in those situations. It's important to educate and empower our children. Every little bit helps.

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2009, 10:34:34 AM »

cookie, GPS and cellphones, safety programs, are all good tools.

None of them are fool proof. Cellphones go dead or get lost or can be tossed should an abductor discover it. GPS bracelets or shoes can easily be removed and tossed. A kidnapper can snatch a kid from behind, never having a chance to react or scream.

They are all good tools. Like I said every little bit helps.

I think a lot of parents have a false sense of security with giving their kids cellphones. A cellphone is good way to keep in touch or keep tabs but they are not foolproof.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »

Janet - this is her best friend Kayla's myspace.  Kayla is around the same age as Lindsey.  I've blurred out Kayla's face some but is that a matteress on the floor?  Can you imagine a 10yr old child with a photo like that on Myspace?

BUMPED

_____

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:03 AM »

Search ramps up for McCleary girl

07:10 AM PDT on Tuesday, June 30, 2009

By KING Staff Reports

Video: Community on guard after girl goes missing
Larger screen E-mail this clip

McCLEARY, Wash. - Authorities in Grays Harbor county are ramping up efforts to find a 10-year-old Western Washington girl missing since last week.

Washington State Patrol plans to utilize a fixed wing airplane with a camera to aid in the search for Lindsey Baum, last seen 9:15 p.m. Friday when she left her friend's house to walk home in McCleary.

Crews plan to focus their air search on rural areas of McCleary where kids have been known to play. The camera will be able to take live and infrared pictures of the brushy area.

Grays Harbor sheriff's deputies viewed surveillance video from a Shell gas station, where Lindsey would have walked past on her way home, but police found no signs of her.

Residents still hold out hope for the 10-year-old girl. Two communities will hold vigils for Lindsey Tuesday night. One starts at 9:00 p.m. at the 10th Street Ballpark in Elma. The other starts at 9:30 p.m. at the main park in McCleary across from the police station.

Video

Missing since Friday

Raw SkyKING video of search area

Several agencies have joined the search for Lindsey Baum. Over the weekend, FBI agents stopped every car driving through the main part of town to question people. On Monday, Air National Guard helicopters searched the town and the woods surrounding McCleary, and divers searched creeks and ponds.

On Tuesday, Washington State Patrol crews plan to bring in search dogs and their search and rescue teams.

Investigators do not know if Baum's disappearance is an abduction or if she ran away. They have not found any evidence to rule anything out.

"It's very frustrating," said Grays Harbor Undersheriff Rick Scott.

McCleary is small, with a population of only about 1,500 people. Most people know each other, so Lindsay's mom Melissa finds it hard to believe her daughter is still close by.

"I don't think she's in McCleary. I truly... if she is still here in McCleary, I don't think it's good," she said.

Police say they need help from anyone who saw anything suspicious in or around McCleary Friday night.

"It's really important that individual realizes that they may be the one person who saw something, that to them was totally worthless, but to us is very important," said Scott.

Police urging someone to come forward is what Lindsey's mother asked for when she spoke with KING 5 News Sunday night.

"What if it was your son, or daughter, or your niece, or your nephew or mother that was missing, and there was no trace of what had happened to them, and what if I knew where there were or what if I knew some information and what if I didn't go forward and say something," she said.

Lindsey's father lives in Tennessee. He's been in touch with police and is not considered a suspect.

Police have ruled out all family members as suspects.

Anyone with information is asked to call the hotline that has been set up. The number is 1-866-915-8299.

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_063009WAB-Mccleary-girl-search-LJ.1fc0b759.html

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »

cookie, GPS and cellphones, safety programs, are all good tools.

None of them are fool proof. Cellphones go dead or get lost or can be tossed should an abductor discover it. GPS bracelets or shoes can easily be removed and tossed. A kidnapper can snatch a kid from behind, never having a chance to react or scream.

They are all good tools. Like I said every little bit helps.

I think a lot of parents have a false sense of security with giving their kids cellphones. A cellphone is good way to keep in touch or keep tabs but they are not foolproof.

agreed...all good tools...but nothing is foolproof that is for sure!

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »

If a missing ten year old little girl does not warrant an immediate Amber Alert  ... there is something very wrong.

Checking vehicles leaving the area 48 hours later is not acceptable.  I know the FBI have now been called in on the investigation but ... why ... in the process of elimination .. were surveillance videos of establishments on Lindsey's route home not viewed immediately?  This was discussed on the KIRO/KING(?) this morning

Janet

_____

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:34 AM »

If a missing ten year old little girl does not warrant an immediate Amber Alert  ... there is something very wrong.

Checking vehicles leaving the area 48 hours later is not acceptable.  I know the FBI have now been called in on the investigation but ... why ... in the process of elimination .. were surveillance videos of establishments on Lindsey's route home not viewed immediately?  This was discussed on the KIRO/KING(?) this morning

Janet

Agreed Janet. On all points.

It's a small town, small LE force, not much crime. I don't think they have ever handled a missing child case other than the occasional late teen or a runaway, who shows up in a couple hours at a friend's house.

Unfortunately they are learning at Lindsey's expense.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:24 AM »

Janet

Agreed Janet. On all points.

It's a small town, small LE force, not much crime. I don't think they have ever handled a missing child case other than the occasional late teen or a runaway, who shows up in a couple hours at a friend's house.

Unfortunately they are learning at Lindsey's expense.
Very unfortunate, very. And that myspace most certainly does not look like one of a ten year old.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.