March 29, 2024, 02:42:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lindsey Baum, 10y missing from McCleary, WA 6/26/09 #1  (Read 770526 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #540 on: July 02, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »

Missing Girl's Father: 'I Just Want My Daughter'

MCCLEARY, Wash. -- Five days after a Grays Harbor County girl vanished, police are now searching through a landfill for any sign of Lindsey Baum.

Baum, 10, disappeared Friday night while walking home at about 9 p.m.

Lindsey’s father, Greg Baum, lives in Tennessee and has been trying to come to McCleary, but is getting ready to deploy to Iraq. He said he feel helpless, but knows the police are doing all they can.

"Right now I'm just praying that she's found and she's found safe," Lindsey’s father said.

Two Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Officials worked endlessly Wednesday sorting through one-third of McCleary’s garbage, hoping to find a clue that could lead to Lindsey.“We're looking for any signs of evidence of the missing girl. We're looking for clothing Lindsey may have been wearing," said Chief Deputy Dave Pimentel. “And of course the un-talkable."

Baum believes his daughter has been abducted, but is holding on to hope.

“We're gonna bring Lindsey home. We're gonna find her and if I have to knock on every door in Grays Harbor County to do that we will," said Rick Scott of the Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Office.

The search at the landfill and additional ground searches Wednesday have continued to come up empty.

Investigators are now asking people in town to report any odd behavior by their friends or family since Lindsey vanished. Something as slight as an unexplained scratch on the arm could be important.

Lindsey's father said if someone has his little girl they need to let her go.

"I just want my daughter home safe. Just give her back to us," Baum said. On Monday, Lindsey's mother, Melissa Baum, also said she believes her daughter was abducted. WATCH IT: Missing Girl's Mother Says She's Getting 'Panicky'
Scott said his department is not yet ready to conclude that Lindsey was abducted because there is no evidence to indicate that's what occurred. Since Friday, police and FBI agents have been stopping cars, volunteers handed out fliers and Thurston County dive teams have searched local creeks. Other officers took the contents out Dumpsters looking for clues. A candlelight prayer vigil was also held Tuesday in McCleary. Anyone with information is asked to call the Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office at 1-866-915-8299 or send an e-mail to: soadmin@co.grays-harbor.wa.us.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/19921451/detail.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #541 on: July 02, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »

Expert: Missing girl likely went with someone she knew

McCLEARY, Wash. -- A national expert helping in the search for 10-year-old Lindsey Baum says someone Lindsey knew might be responsible for her disappearance.

Baum vanished while walking home from a friend’s house Friday around 9 p.m.

"Based on the information I have, it’s someone she possibly knows or is in the area, not outside the area," said Henry Schmidt, with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Schmidt, a retired sheriff from Wyoming, arrived in McCleary to assist with the search Sunday.

Volunteers and police have been going door-to-door to talk to every person in McCleary.

Officially, search coordinators with the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office said they are not leaning any direction yet as to what happened to Lindsey.

Investigators have not found any evidence to suggest she was kidnapped, got lost or just ran away.

Schmidt said the majority of abducted children are taken by people they know.

Schmidt said statistically, most abducted children are murdered within 24 hours. But, he said, that doesn’t make searchers give up hope.

“I’ve seen positive results," Schmidt said. "There’s proven cases out there of kids being found a couple of years later."

A spokesperson for Lindsey's mother says the family is holding out hope and trying to stay positive, but as time passes they say that's harder to do.

Late Tuesday night, residents of McCleary gathered in the city park to hold a vigil for a Lindsey, a familiar bright face to many of them.

"Honestly, I know she's alive," Melissa Baum, the missing girl's mother told KING 5. "And I just wanted everybody watching for her."

Melissa Baum says she's thankful for all that people have done for her family. Lindsey's father, who lives in Tennessee, is expected to arrive in town on Friday.

Lindsey is 4-foot-9, 80 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes, last seen wearing a light blue hooded pullover shirt and blue jeans.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/regional/stories/ktvbn-jul0109-missing_girl.2649768b.html
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #542 on: July 02, 2009, 10:17:57 AM »

From the last article I posted they state a second person has come forward that saw Lindsey.  Where was this sighting? Also they now are saying that it could be someone she knew who was hiding in the bushes.  Is she being held in the are against her will?  Do the houses have basements there?  What abotu outbuildings?  This area  is a logging route, could there be something by one of the logging sites and the person works there and visits a shed often which would look normal as part of everyday work?  The construction at the school - have they brought in trailers and have they been checked?  What about the farms in the area - have owners been asked to check their outbuildings?
Experts with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children say if the girl was abducted, it most likely wasn't by a stranger who was hiding in the bushes.

NRose~  The article you posted in your previous post said ".. if the girl was abducted, it most likely wasn't by a stranger who was hiding in the bushes."   The way I read it, it means it's probably a person she is familiar with and out in the open.  I don't read it as literally as you commented here " Also they now are saying that it could be someone [/b]she knew who was hiding in the bushes.  I think "hiding in the bushes" is simply a way of saying the person wasn't hidden, not that they think the person actually was known to Lindsey and was hiding in the bushes. 
Good morning to you and all the monkeys.  I came by here first to see if there was any word on Lindsey.  I pray she will be found safe; maybe today is the day.   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:19:33 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #543 on: July 02, 2009, 10:23:27 AM »

Thanks for all the updates, I think also it was someone Lindsey knew.
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #544 on: July 02, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »

FWIW, my instincts have told me all along that this isn't/wasn't a "true" stranger abduction, meaning that Lindsey is "somehow" acquainted with the person that has her.  My biggest concern is that that "person" is someone she was communicating with on the internet, perhaps through the school or library computers, who preyed on her sensitive emotional state.  Based on what I've read, Lindsey was somewhat of a troubled child, meaning that she had stressers in her life that children of her age aren't adequately equipped to deal with--namely a divorce and a father who lives thousands of miles away who apparently indicated that he wasn't coming back anytime soon and was being deployed to Iraq.  That makes her vulnerable.  Regardless of whether comments she made on her myspace page and perhaps elsewhere lead some to believe that she was a little advanced for a 10 year old, the fact remains that she has a brain and mind of a ten year old child.  She's unable to fully understand the consequences of her acts.  She's impressionable.  She's naive.  She's a child.  And her mental capacity is that of a 10 year old.  That's what scares me most about this case.

Having said that, my instincts tell me that the person who has her is local and that Lindsey personally knows him.  Why?  Because this appears to be a an "abduction of opportunity," not a planned abduction.  Lindsey wasn't doing something that she characteristically did--she wasn't following a pattern such that the perp knew exactly where she was going to be and at what time.  I think Lindsey went willingly with this person under false pretenses.  This makes the case scarier yet.

So, who would the potential suspects be?  In my mind, they fall into two categories.  Fathers and brothers of friends and teachers.  My questions to KaraK or others that knew Lindsey are these:  (A) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers whom Lindsey spoke highly about, or with whom Lindsey seemed to have a close relationship?  (B) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers that Lindsey seemed to have a crush on?  That she talked about alot?  That she perhaps spoke about in a more intimate fashion?  (Lindsey's best friends would be the best source of this information) (C) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers who seemed to pay particular attention to her?  or who talked about her alot?  or who seemed, as weird as this may sound, to have a crush on her?  (D) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers that bought her things out of the ordinary, took her places, or treated her uncharacteristically kind?  (E) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers that seemed to be obsessed with her?

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #545 on: July 02, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »

FWIW, my instincts have told me all along that this isn't/wasn't a "true" stranger abduction, meaning that Lindsey is "somehow" acquainted with the person that has her.  My biggest concern is that that "person" is someone she was communicating with on the internet, perhaps through the school or library computers, who preyed on her sensitive emotional state.  Based on what I've read, Lindsey was somewhat of a troubled child, meaning that she had stressers in her life that children of her age aren't adequately equipped to deal with--namely a divorce and a father who lives thousands of miles away who apparently indicated that he wasn't coming back anytime soon and was being deployed to Iraq.  That makes her vulnerable.  Regardless of whether comments she made on her myspace page and perhaps elsewhere lead some to believe that she was a little advanced for a 10 year old, the fact remains that she has a brain and mind of a ten year old child.  She's unable to fully understand the consequences of her acts.  She's impressionable.  She's naive.  She's a child.  And her mental capacity is that of a 10 year old.  That's what scares me most about this case.

Having said that, my instincts tell me that the person who has her is local and that Lindsey personally knows him.  Why?  Because this appears to be a an "abduction of opportunity," not a planned abduction.  Lindsey wasn't doing something that she characteristically did--she wasn't following a pattern such that the perp knew exactly where she was going to be and at what time.  I think Lindsey went willingly with this person under false pretenses.  This makes the case scarier yet.

So, who would the potential suspects be?  In my mind, they fall into two categories.  Fathers and brothers of friends and teachers.  My questions to KaraK or others that knew Lindsey are these:  (A) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers whom Lindsey spoke highly about, or with whom Lindsey seemed to have a close relationship?  (B) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers that Lindsey seemed to have a crush on?  That she talked about alot?  That she perhaps spoke about in a more intimate fashion?  (Lindsey's best friends would be the best source of this information) (C) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers who seemed to pay particular attention to her?  or who talked about her alot?  or who seemed, as weird as this may sound, to have a crush on her?  (D) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers that bought her things out of the ordinary, took her places, or treated her uncharacteristically kind?  (E) are there any fathers or brothers of Lindsey's friends or teachers that seemed to be obsessed with her?

JESSSTAR, I usually only read along over here and have never posted here before. I think a female cannot be ruled out, at least as an assesory to get her to go with her. I am sorry to say this, but we have seen it happen at least two times before in the past few months. I hope the lady who saw her the two times on the last day she was seen has been well checked out. I am meaning the one that broke up the arguement between Lindsey and her brother, and also saw her again on the way to work. JMO

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #546 on: July 02, 2009, 11:34:17 AM »

From the last article I posted they state a second person has come forward that saw Lindsey.  Where was this sighting? Also they now are saying that it could be someone she knew who was hiding in the bushes.  Is she being held in the are against her will?  Do the houses have basements there?  What abotu outbuildings?  This area  is a logging route, could there be something by one of the logging sites and the person works there and visits a shed often which would look normal as part of everyday work?  The construction at the school - have they brought in trailers and have they been checked?  What about the farms in the area - have owners been asked to check their outbuildings?
Experts with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children say if the girl was abducted, it most likely wasn't by a stranger who was hiding in the bushes.

NRose~  The article you posted in your previous post said ".. if the girl was abducted, it most likely wasn't by a stranger who was hiding in the bushes."   The way I read it, it means it's probably a person she is familiar with and out in the open.  I don't read it as literally as you commented here " Also they now are saying that it could be someone [/b]she knew who was hiding in the bushes.  I think "hiding in the bushes" is simply a way of saying the person wasn't hidden, not that they think the person actually was known to Lindsey and was hiding in the bushes. 
Good morning to you and all the monkeys.  I came by here first to see if there was any word on Lindsey.  I pray she will be found safe; maybe today is the day.   

Muffy Thank you.  I misread it the first time. You are correct.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #547 on: July 02, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »

JESSSTAR, I usually only read along over here and have never posted here before. I think a female cannot be ruled out, at least as an assesory to get her to go with her. I am sorry to say this, but we have seen it happen at least two times before in the past few months. I hope the lady who saw her the two times on the last day she was seen has been well checked out. I am meaning the one that broke up the arguement between Lindsey and her brother, and also saw her again on the way to work. JMO

The walk home was not as direct as normal from all that we have learned so far.  Did she deviate as she was going to swing by to say hello to someone on the way?  Was there some specific reason she did not go directly down the street to the 3 way crossing?  Who or what is along the actual route she was taking that she was familiar with/wanted to see/had been discussing?
doubledecker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #548 on: July 02, 2009, 01:23:53 PM »

I have been lying awake all night wracking my brain; thinking all morning, where is this girl.  I've been looking on topo and mining maps.  so I am just going to start tossing out anything that comes to my mind.  Sorry if some of it might sound crazy etc, but maybe if we just get a brainstorming session going one of us will get an idea. 

on the map I noticed the dam to the north of town and a gravel pit to the west of town.

if this is an old "mill town" wood was no problem when building the town.  In towns like this they will use excessive amounts of wood.  The older houses built when these mills were put in will have attics with "pull down" stairs.  I don't know how much it snows there in the winter but I imagine quite a bit?  this allows for extremely pitched roofs and lots of room in the attics.  someone might have her in the attic.  police need to check those attic entrances, and a lot of them in those old mill houses are in the closet ceilings.

in a mill town there is obviously a lot of logging and loggers, they are so familiar with the woods.  They also will drive down skid trails that no one in their right minds would ever think of driving on.  I don't know if they have water "flumes" up there or not, but a lot of times there will be old shed buildings along the flumes. 

another thing in areas like this are old run down no longer used hunting shacks. 

there are also "rain-catching" structures   I don't know how to describe these but they are out there to measure rain

also does the forest service have old fire lookout towers out in the woods that no one is using now? 

what is the mining like in the area?  did they have old 1800's mines then.  I will get someone to do a thorough search for those today.  some of those old mines are very hard to find and no long on any maps.  I will get ahold of a geologist I know and have them start looking for any in the area.  also caves.. is this a volcanic area with tunnels?

let me think more   

To find me:
click the globe to the left, under my name
KaraK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #549 on: July 02, 2009, 01:34:16 PM »

I have been lying awake all night wracking my brain; thinking all morning, where is this girl.  I've been looking on topo and mining maps.  so I am just going to start tossing out anything that comes to my mind.  Sorry if some of it might sound crazy etc, but maybe if we just get a brainstorming session going one of us will get an idea. 

on the map I noticed the dam to the north of town and a gravel pit to the west of town.

if this is an old "mill town" wood was no problem when building the town.  In towns like this they will use excessive amounts of wood.  The older houses built when these mills were put in will have attics with "pull down" stairs.  I don't know how much it snows there in the winter but I imagine quite a bit?  this allows for extremely pitched roofs and lots of room in the attics.  someone might have her in the attic.  police need to check those attic entrances, and a lot of them in those old mill houses are in the closet ceilings.

in a mill town there is obviously a lot of logging and loggers, they are so familiar with the woods.  They also will drive down skid trails that no one in their right minds would ever think of driving on.  I don't know if they have water "flumes" up there or not, but a lot of times there will be old shed buildings along the flumes. 

another thing in areas like this are old run down no longer used hunting shacks. 

there are also "rain-catching" structures   I don't know how to describe these but they are out there to measure rain

also does the forest service have old fire lookout towers out in the woods that no one is using now? 

what is the mining like in the area?  did they have old 1800's mines then.  I will get someone to do a thorough search for those today.  some of those old mines are very hard to find and no long on any maps.  I will get ahold of a geologist I know and have them start looking for any in the area.  also caves.. is this a volcanic area with tunnels?

let me think more   

We are not super familiar with the layout and what structures lie where but we were curious about the same thing. We are also not sure why every house has not been checked. I'd be curious to see how many people in town would refuse a house search. I don't believe that there is not some sort of evidence in or at least near McCleary.
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #550 on: July 02, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »

The walk home was not as direct as normal from all that we have learned so far.  Did she deviate as she was going to swing by to say hello to someone on the way?  Was there some specific reason she did not go directly down the street to the 3 way crossing?  Who or what is along the actual route she was taking that she was familiar with/wanted to see/had been discussing?

You're right, FM, no one can be ruled out.  But to me, this case has a little bit of a different twist to it that makes a male perp more likely--that twist is an impressionable 10 year old that is craving a father figure.  Or at least the attention of a father figure.  That 's just my instinct.  But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that a female is involved somehow, nor I would not rule out the possibility that her apparent abduction was not the act of a predator.  There are other possibilities, some more likely than others, but I prefer not to discuss them.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #551 on: July 02, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »

let me think more   

We are not super familiar with the layout and what structures lie where but we were curious about the same thing. We are also not sure why every house has not been checked. I'd be curious to see how many people in town would refuse a house search. I don't believe that there is not some sort of evidence in or at least near McCleary.

DD and Kara, I couldn't agree more.  However, where my mind is going is to basements.  Do the homes have basements there?  I don't think a house can be searched without probable cause, however, maybe an effort should be made to get people to volunteer to have their home searched to eliminate it.  I know that would take a tremendous amount of man power; however, I am praying Lindsey is still alive and is silently screaming to be found.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #552 on: July 02, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »

I am sorry, and do not wish to offend anyone. But if there has not been a house to house search done on the route or potential route Lindsey took toward her home, that really sets up my alarm bells. Think Jessica Lundsford in Florida. This makes me think more and more of her being right in the McCleary area. Please God, I hope the LE is doing a lot more than what we know.   an angelic monkey

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #553 on: July 02, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »

I am sorry, and do not wish to offend anyone. But if there has not been a house to house search done on the route or potential route Lindsey took toward her home, that really sets up my alarm bells. Think Jessica Lundsford in Florida. This makes me think more and more of her being right in the McCleary area. Please God, I hope the LE is doing a lot more than what we know.   an angelic monkey
I agree, and now with this article, maybe LE has some good idea what happened.   http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-070109-missinggirl,0,12523.story
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #554 on: July 02, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »

Missing girl: Police list signs of possible abduction suspects
10-Year-Old Missing: McCleary ‘pretty much searched’ since Friday

As the days pass and searchers in McCleary find no sign of missing 10-year-old Lindsey Baum, investigators have to consider it likely that the child was taken from the street against her will, Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott said Wednesday.

Lindsey disappeared Friday night after leaving a friend’s house to walk alone about a half-mile to her home on Mommsen Road.

The last person to see Lindsey was a resident driving though McCleary who saw her walking on Maple Street between Fifth and Sixth streets about 9:15 p.m. She was about halfway home, near the center of town.

For five days, a massive search undertaken by law enforcement has yielded no clues about what might have happened to Lindsey, Scott said.

Scott said it is unlikely that Lindsey would have been able to run away from home and remain hidden, given the media attention generated by her disappearance.

If someone is responsible for Linsdey’s disappearance, he or she might be exhibiting odd behavior or showing warning signs, Scott said. People should be on the lookout for these signs among friends, co-workers and even loved ones, he said.

Scott suggested that one or more of the following warning signs might raise a red flag and should result in a call to police:

• Someone suddenly changing his or her physical appearance, such as cutting or dyeing hair or shaving a mustache or beard.

• Someone suddenly getting rid of a car.

• An unexplained or out-of-character absence from work.

• Unexplained cuts or bruises to the face or arms.

• Someone picking up or resuming bad habits such as smoking or drinking, or changes in mood, such as being depressed or irritable for no apparent reason.

Wednesday’s search for Lindsey focused on areas 3 to 4 miles outside McCleary and included about 20 people and search dogs, Scott said. The search included logging roads and private roads that were accessible when Lindsey went missing, he said.

The landfill in McCleary also was searched for clues Wednesday.

“We’ve pretty much searched the city of McCleary and the immediate area surrounding that,” Scott said.

No planes or helicopters were used in Wednesday’s search, but there might be another air search later, he added.

Anyone with information about Lindsey’s disappearance is asked to call the Grays Harbor County 9-1-1 center at 360-533-8765 or 866-915-8299.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/updates/story/797683.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #555 on: July 02, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »

Search for missing McCleary girl tapering off

Associated Press - July 2, 2009 12:55 PM ET

McCLEARY, Wash. (AP) - After nearly a week the search for a missing McCleary girl is tapering off.

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott say investigators are reviewing the case. They still would like to talk to anyone who may have seen anything unusual in McCleary between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. Friday when Lindsey Baum was walking home from a friend's house.

Scott also is urging people to report any unusual behavior that might point to an abductor, such as suddenly cutting or dyeing hair, an unexplained absence from work or cuts or bruises on the arms and face.

Lindsey is 4 foot-9, 80 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes, last seen wearing a light blue hooded pullover shirt and blue jeans.

http://www.kndo.com/Global/story.asp?S=10635952&nav=menu484_2

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #556 on: July 02, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »

I so agree, FM.  There was a little girl abducted from my area about 12 years ago when she was 14.  She was found in 2006 chained in the basement of her abductor's home.  That is so rare, though.  The stastics of an abducted child being found alive after beign missing for a week are heartbreakingly low. Nonetheless, I am the eternal optimist, and never lose hope until the moment I'm proven wrong.

doubledecker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #557 on: July 02, 2009, 03:36:41 PM »

I agree, and now with this article, maybe LE has some good idea what happened.   http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-070109-missinggirl,0,12523.story

but law enforcement officials have suspended their search and rescue efforts for 10-year-old Lindsey Baum.

While the investigation continues, crews have stopped combing the area for the girl. Search dogs, ATVs, helicopters and planes will no longer be utilized.

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott told Q13 FOX News that crews have thoroughly searched the area around McCleary. Now, this case is shifting into more of an investigation, with 30 officers trying to develop new leads.

Authorities say, by now, it's very unlikely that Baum has run away from home and it's possible that someone has kidnapped her.

Scott spoke about his department has uncovered so far, and what it means about the future of the investigation.

"It suggests that she's been removed from this immediate environment," Scott said. "But we don't have the evidence to support that theory, so we have to continue to be as comprehensive as we were from day one."

so they have basically quit searching for her hmmm ??? seems a bit quick to stop doesn't it?

To find me:
click the globe to the left, under my name
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #558 on: July 02, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »

Focus now on abduction
BY JACOB JONES The Daily World
Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:25 PM PDT
JACOB JONES | THE DAILY WORLD

Search crews and dogs continued to comb the streets of McCleary and nearby woods Wednesday looking for 10-year-old Lindsey Baum, but authorities have started to shift toward an abduction investigation as the hunt entered its sixth day.

“We are starting to look at this as more of a criminal investigation,” Grays Harbor Undersheriff Rick Scott said. “The possibility that someone has facilitated her disappearance is becoming greater as the hours tick on.”

Baum disappeared late Friday while walking home from a friend’s house. No evidence of her whereabouts has turned up despite confirmed sightings of her just blocks from home shortly after 9 p.m.

Scott said the large search effort from the weekend has been scaled down from dozens spread throughout the surrounding areas to a group of about 20 specialized searchers targeting specific areas.

“We’ve found no evidence of her being here,” he said. “We’ve found no evidence of her disappearance.”

Local authorities, with support from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, have stepped up inquiries into people that may have known Baum or lived nearby.

Ron Twersky, assistant special agent in charge from the Seattle FBI field office, said people should report strange behavior or “just anything that doesn’t seem right.”

“The bottom line is we have a missing girl,” Twersky told reporters Wednesday, emphasizing investigators are examining all leads.

Scott said people should watch for any unusual social behavior, ranging from increased alcohol use and smoking to anyone who suddenly wants to leave the area or sell their car. McCleary residents should report any suspicions to authorities.

“They may have an association with someone who knows something,” he said, “so if they suspect that, please be the person who has the courage to come forward.”

Scott said that from the beginning, investigators have explored the possibility of family members or friends being involved. Baum’s mother and the stepfather of the young girl Baum had been visiting just before she disappeared have both taken voluntary polygraph tests to aid the investigation.

“They asked to be polygraphed so that we would be comfortable with what we were being told and we could move on to other things,” Scott said. “They did not want us to be wasting valuable time.”

Scott said he was “comfortable” with their answers.

Throughout the search, investigators have spoken with Baum’s father, who lives in Tennessee, Scott said. The father has now booked a flight to Washington for this weekend.

Scott said authorities have run into several dead ends with almost no signs of the 4-foot-9, brown-haired girl, who was last spotted wearing a blue pullover shirt and blue jeans.

“I don’t know anything more than I knew Saturday afternoon,” he said, “but I’m not willing to admit that I know anything less.”

Scott said bloodhounds traced the route Lindsey took early on from the friend’s house to her own home, but didn’t find any scent. And in places where Lindsey once played — parks and by the creek — Lindsey’s scent has been vanishing.

The loss of scent could be a combination of factors — the heat on the sidewalk could have dissipated it for instance, he said.

Scott said a second person came forward Tuesday with a confirmed sighting of Baum from Friday night in the same area along Maple Street near Fifth Street.

Twersky said the FBI has more than a dozen agents in McCleary assisting with the investigation, including specialists from the regional Child Abduction Rapid Deployment team. Behavioral profilers have also offered input on any potential kidnappers.

“Because this is a missing child, we’ll take any advice we can,” he said.

Twersky refused to speculate on any statistics or chances of locating the girl. He again asked people to report any suspicious behavior, but warned against starting a “witch hunt.”

Few new details were available this morning. Sheriff Mike Whelan and Scott spoke on the “Live at Nine” radio show on KXRO early today in further attempts to get information out to surrounding communities.

“It’s more likely at this point that she’s been abducted than anything else,” Whelan said on the show. “There are so many variables, so many things that might have happened to this child. We really, at this point, don’t know if she went willingly or unwillingly.”

After five days of searching under a hot sun, the group of volunteers and officers was noticeably smaller Wednesday afternoon as they continued to rally at the command center outside McCleary City Hall.

Search dogs rested in the shade. Smaller teams came and went. No planes flew overhead.

Scott said the search would have to continue to expand beyond the city limits, targeting logging roads or other remote areas farther afield. But he vowed it would go on as long as necessary.

“We’re going to bring Lindsey home,” he said. “We will find her. If I have to knock on every door in Grays Harbor County to do that, I will.”

http://**/articles/2009/07/02/local_news/doc4a4cf43c1b1dd881132403.txt

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #559 on: July 02, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »

Latest Map: Credit to jvk over yonder:

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.