March 28, 2024, 03:13:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Political Forum  (Read 3861 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: November 15, 2006, 08:42:23 PM »

I am somewhat upset at the way the Political Forum is going. I'd like to discuss things and Carnut often shuts down each thread effectively with one liners or a limited point of view. This does not seem to me to be a free discussion.

An example is from the "Dem's Win in US Races Concern Israel" ... Carnut created this thread specifically for me to respond to. When I responded, I was shot down. Mrs. Red told me about how she sees Democrats in New England. I replied I had never heard of such Democrats. Carnut says he agrees with Mrs. Red. End of discussion. I don't believe Carnut wanted my opinion at all.

This is not about personalities. As far as I understand, the Political Forum is a place for free discussion. I have tried to be very active here and write a lot of posts. But, I feel like I'm talking to myself when someone else shuts down the discussion and will not engage in anything positive, much less even discuss anything such as the matter at hand. We are all here to discuss politics but if no discussions can take place, I will not be posting in the Political Forum anymore and whoever posts, can talk to themselves instead of me.

I know one has to be strong to discuss politics but I never dreamed I'd be in a Roman arena where I'd be shot down by a narrow minded guy from the flatlands of Kansas who won't discuss.

Mrs. Red, Red, and Scared Tom, can you do anything to get the Political Forum back into open discussions again?

Email copy to:
Mrs. Red
Red
Scared Tom
Klaas

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:27:30 PM »

Sorry Louise, guess us narrowminded types from the flatlands just aren't smart enough to discuss things with ladies from California.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:11:05 PM »

A Political Forum is a venue for discussing politics. I can't think of any political topic that can be answered with a one line comment. This is not discussion.

Will you please reconsider and come back to the Political Forum to discuss?

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:27:13 PM »

Dunno, I'm not used to being told how I may discuss things.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 09:29:04 PM »

Great, thanks for a positive response. All I am saying is "discuss" not dismiss.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 09:36:10 PM »

I don't know what the difficulty is here. Isn't this whole blog/board about Discussion? The blog is entitled "Discussion Forum for Like Minded Monkeys."

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 12:37:57 PM »

LV,  you know I always enjoy your posts whether I agree with you or not.  I try to be honest and to the point, and also have been flamed in here with my opinions. I guess it's true when they say you should never discuss Religion and Politics.  They both have a very huge range in opinions from one end to the other, in which people typically feel very strongly about either way.  I know sometimes, I can go a little overboard when discussing something I feel strong about, so it's better to just keep my mouth shut.
Don't take it personally, Politics is usually known for heated conversations when two people do not agree. That may be why some, like me, try to restrain to keep from getting upset or upsetting somebody else.  JMO

I certainly hope nobody would allow a topic like Politics end friendships here!

With Love!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 08:17:02 PM »

Quote from: "Dihannah1"
LV,  you know I always enjoy your posts whether I agree with you or not.  I try to be honest and to the point, and also have been flamed in here with my opinions. I guess it's true when they say you should never discuss Religion and Politics.  They both have a very huge range in opinions from one end to the other, in which people typically feel very strongly about either way.  I know sometimes, I can go a little overboard when discussing something I feel strong about, so it's better to just keep my mouth shut.
Don't take it personally, Politics is usually known for heated conversations when two people do not agree. That may be why some, like me, try to restrain to keep from getting upset or upsetting somebody else.  JMO

I certainly hope nobody would allow a topic like Politics end friendships here!

With Love!

Don't forget that talk about sex is on that list!

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »

I knew I was forgetting something when I posted that!  Laughing

I'm beginning to think that one doesn't count anymore,  Sex is discussed everywhere now, tv, books/magazines, internet, the office and nobody seems offended any more.... It's a free for all on that topic.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Carnut
Monkey Junky

!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »

Quote from: "Dihannah1"
I knew I was forgetting something when I posted that!  Laughing

I'm beginning to think that one doesn't count anymore,  Sex is discussed everywhere now, tv, books/magazines, internet, the office and nobody seems offended any more.... It's a free for all on that topic.

OK! Lets start discussing!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 09:07:41 PM »

Dear Dihannah,

I have been thinking for days about the old saw ... never discuss politics or religion. And you are so right that such subjects are known to create heated discussions.

After I work hard to post a topic, I guess I have unrealistic expectations that someone will respond in depth. I've decided this is wrong thinking and I should be happy to accept any response. So I've learned a good lesson.

And I want to apologize to you, George/Carnut. I'm happy to read every comment you make. I hope to improve my "humor" skills.

I, too, have noticed that sex is discussed everywhere by everyone via every media. I am all for a non Puritanical society but there should be some decorum and common sense. An example of non-decorum and no common sense ... today on FOX, John Gibson devoted a segment of his show to "Advice for Brittany." He said she should not be running around with no panties. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. What does this have to do with news? G'bye to him from me.

With Love.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 07:59:15 PM »

In today's mail at work, I received a package with an invitation to a luncheon  for those nominated as 2006 Heros in the Fight Against Mental Illness. Included was a really nice medallion with "2006 Hero in the Fight" inscribed on one side; Ely Lilly, Mental Health Association and another company/agency on the other. There is a little wooden block in which to display the medallion.   Very Happy  

I may bring a guest to the luncheon. If the client who sponsored me has not received an invitation, I will ask him to go as my guest (would only be fitting). If he received an invite of his own, then I will ask my mother. She would be thrilled to attend such an event. Also, I want her to go to promote the realization that my spiritual growth (as evidenced, in part, by the impact of my work) is not only just as valuable, but also more so than reaching my "educational potential".  She has (in a loving way) expressed her disappointment that I did not attend medical school or obtain a PhD. I understand, as I have had to deal with the loss of my dream of becoming a physician. For me that has been resolved. I came to learn that   the calling for me was not what my plan had been (wealthy MD).  And thank God that I managed to stumble onto and erratically follow the path that was intended.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.