April 30, 2024, 01:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thomas Godwin missing with car & dog 5-6? 5-9-09 Davie, FL  (Read 8543 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: July 04, 2009, 09:36:09 PM »

Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)

July 4, 2009 Saturday
DAVIE RESIDENT'S VANISHING A MYSTERY;
EX MARINE, PET GONE AMID NEWS OF FIRING

DAVIE - Police are looking for a man who went missing last month, along with his dog and car.

Thomas Godwin, 53, is 6-feet-2, weighs 200 pounds and has brown hair and blue eyes, Davie police said.

He was last seen May 6 at a Winn-Dixie warehouse in Opa-locka where he works, authorities said. He was supposed to meet with his boss four days later to discuss his pending termination, but he never made the appointment, police said.

Also missing are Godwin's dog, a retriever-dachshund mix named Foxy, and his white 2000 Honda Accord with Florida tag S995PF, officials said.

Investigators say there has been no recent activity on any of his bank accounts or credit cards.

Authorities ask anyone with information to call Davie Police at 954-693-8200 or Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at 954-493-TIPS (8477).
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-davie-missing-man-b062509,0,2385872.story

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:37:18 PM »

Living alone with his beloved dog, Thomas Godwin kept mostly to himself. Few knew the former Marine had health issues - or problems at work.

After 28 years at a Winn-Dixie warehouse in Opa-locka, Godwin's bosses planned to fire him, his family said. But Godwin, 53, never made it to a May 10 appointment to finalize the termination.

Sometime between May 6 and May 10, Godwin disappeared as quietly as he lived. Also missing is Foxy, his retriever-dachshund mix, and his 2000 Honda Accord.

"I wish he had told us how bad things were going," said Diane VanWambeck, his sister who lives in Homestead. "He just kept it to himself, and now he's gone. It's like he vanished into thin air." His family found out he'd been fired only after his disappearance, when they talked with co-workers.

VanWambeck began to worry a few weeks ago when his insurance company kept calling her, seeking her brother's whereabouts. Then he missed a niece's birthday. A lifelong bachelor, Godwin was very close to his six sisters and their children, VanWambeck said.

On June 19, officers stopped by Godwin's home in the Rexmere Village complex in Davie. Overgrown weeds covered his lawn. After finding an open sliding glass door, they entered the home and found spoiled food in the refrigerator, according to a police report.

Investigators don't think crime is involved, said Sgt. Greg Gasse, a Davie police spokesman.

Godwin talked on the phone with his supervisors May 6, the last anyone heard of him, police said.

His family said Godwin had been in a work-related accident in April, prompting his dismissal. A supervisor confirmed Godwin worked at the warehouse, but would not comment further. Winn-Dixie corporate officials declined to comment on his work history.

"He'd been looking a little depressed, and he told someone here things at work weren't going well," said Harry Hernandez, one of Godwin's neighbors. "But the guy was a loner. We didn't know what was going on."

On May 6, Godwin posted a message on an online forum attacking Winn-Dixie corporate bosses and accusing them of firing older workers. It was one of the last things he did before disappearing.

"He started that job right after the Marines and gave it everything he had," VanWambeck said. "It meant a lot to him."

He also cared a great deal for his dog, his family said. Foxy originally belonged to VanWambeck, but Godwin took her with him when he moved to Davie in 2006. The dog ran away often and Godwin was the only one who could control her, VanWambeck said.

"She gave him company, and she got him out of the house," VanWambeck said.

Besides checking hospitals and jails for Godwin, police looked in animal shelters for Foxy. Leads have been scarce, Gasse said.

Godwin left his cell phone behind and hasn't accessed his bank account, police said. He also left his medicine at home, which worries his family. Godwin had surgery for a thyroid problem some years ago and needs his pills to maintain a stable metabolism, VanWambeck said.

The family's biggest hope is a LoJack device in Godwin's car. When activated, the device sends a radio signal that law enforcement agencies use to track vehicles, a LoJack spokesman said.

However, police can only use the device on stolen cars. Godwin's family had to obtain a court order, which they did Thursday, to allow Davie police to activate the LoJack. Officers activated the signal later that day, Gasse said.

"Tommy's the world's most gentle, most loving man, and he has a family that misses him so much," VanWambeck said. "It's like he went out somewhere with his dog and never made it back home. Now we're all heartbroken."

Authorities ask anyone with information about Godwin's whereabouts to call the Davie Police Department at 954-693-8200 or Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at 954-493-TIPS (8477).
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/sfl-070309-davie-missing-man,0,5680096.story

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »

Tracking device fruitless in search for missing Davie man

7/9/09
DAVIE - A car tracking device activated last week has yielded no clues to the whereabouts of an ex-Marine who mysteriously disappeared in May, police said today.

The family of Thomas Godwin had obtained a court order to activate the LoJack tracking device on his missing 2000 Honda Accord, Davie police spokesman Sgt. Greg Gasse said. The car has not been found.

Godwin disappeared sometime between May 6 and May 10, police said. Also missing is Foxy, his retriever-dachshund mix.

Godwin lived alone with his dog and kept mostly to himself. Few knew the former Marine had health issues or problems at work.

After 28 years at a Winn-Dixie warehouse in Opa-locka, Godwin's bosses planned to fire him, his family said. But Godwin, 53, never made it to a May 10 appointment to finalize the termination.

"I wish he had told us how bad things were going," said Diane VanWambeck, his sister who lives in Homestead. "He just kept it to himself, and now he's gone. It's like he vanished into thin air." His family found out he'd been fired only after his disappearance, when they talked with co-workers.

VanWambeck began to worry a few weeks ago when his insurance company kept calling her, seeking her brother's whereabouts. Then he missed a niece's birthday. A lifelong bachelor, Godwin was very close to his six sisters and their children, VanWambeck said.

On June 19, officers stopped by Godwin's home in the Rexmere Village complex in Davie. Overgrown weeds covered his lawn. After finding an open sliding-glass door, they entered the home and found spoiled food in the refrigerator, according to a police report.

Investigators don't think crime is involved, said Sgt. Greg Gasse, a Davie police spokesman.

Godwin talked on the phone with his supervisors May 6, the last anyone heard from him, police said.

His family said Godwin had been in a work-related accident in April, prompting his dismissal. A supervisor confirmed Godwin worked at the warehouse, but would not comment further. Winn-Dixie corporate officials declined to comment on his work history.

"He'd been looking a little depressed, and he told someone here things at work weren't going well," said Harry Hernandez, one of Godwin's neighbors. "But the guy was a loner. We didn't know what was going on."

On May 6, Godwin posted a message on an online forum questioning Winn-Dixie corporate bosses and accusing them of firing older workers. It was one of the last things he did before disappearing.

"He started that job right after the Marines and gave it everything he had," VanWambeck said. "It meant a lot to him."

He also cared a great deal for his dog, his family said. Foxy originally belonged to VanWambeck, but Godwin took her with him when he moved from Homestead to Davie in 2006. The dog ran away often and Godwin was the only one who could control her, VanWambeck said.

"She gave him company, and she got him out of the house," VanWambeck said.

Besides checking hospitals and jails for Godwin, police looked in animal shelters for Foxy. Leads have been scarce, Gasse said.

Godwin left his cell phone behind and hasn't accessed his bank account, police said. He also left his medicine back home, which worries his family. Godwin had surgery for a thyroid problem some years ago and needs his pills to maintain a stable metabolism, VanWambeck said.

"Tommy's the world's most-gentle, most-loving man, and he has a family that misses him so much," VanWambeck said. "It's like he went out somewhere with his dog and never made it back home. Now we're all heartbroken."

Authorities ask anyone with information about Godwin's whereabouts to call the Davie Police Department at 954-693-8200 or Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at 954-493-TIPS (8477).
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-davie-missing-man-b062509,0,2385872.story?track=rss

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »

In one of the articles in the sun-sentinel, there is talk of a facebook set up for him entitled "Help us find Tommy Godwin" ...I can't find that anywhere. The article is no longer available. The picture I posted here is no longer online either...due to the article expiration.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:50:12 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=93737908075&ref=search

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »

OH KLAAS!! THANK YOU!!!!! 

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:28:42 AM »

an additional site that was set up for Mr Godwin.

http://thomasgodwin.webs.com/

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »

My hubby gave WD 14 yrs of his life before he realized that they do exactly what Tommy Godwin accused.  They work people to death promising promotions until that person can on longer do the work of a 20-30 yr old or are making more than a younger worker then they set them up in a position that they can't succeed at and wait for multiple bad evals before firing them.  Look around WD.  You'll find very few older workers. 

I can say that these changes happened after the Davis family no longer had control over the daily operations of the company.  The Davis brothers believed in treating employees like family. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/discrimination/winn-dixie-discrimination-01507.html
Winn-Dixie hit with Age and Race Discrimination Class Actions

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.