March 29, 2024, 02:52:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DID BOOK PUBLISHER SET UP O.J????  (Read 7126 times)
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« on: November 17, 2006, 08:58:01 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/LegalCenter/story?id=2660635&page=1

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 12:40:30 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/17/business/mutfund/17cnd-regan-text.html

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 04:55:59 PM »

Dunno, read both articles. Being a man, guess I can't get into the mind of a battered women, so I can't really say what she was up to.

Seems she is explaining her effort as some personal psycho relief thing and not just a money making effort for herself.

Watched Mark Furhman last night and agreed on his take that the 'Killer' shouldn't be given anymore air time.

Also watched Greta where dear ole Peterson lawyer 'what's his name',
saying that possibly someone might find something in the interviews to use for a perjury charge or someway to charge in a different venue like a Federal murder charge in the case.

Dunno, I'm bumfuzzled on the whole thing.

I don't think I like giving the killer the airtime, no matter what the reason.
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 07:13:03 PM »

I could not have put it any better Carnut..

I'm totally bumfuzzled too...  (and thanks for that great word  Laughing )

But One thing for sure, I will not watch nor would I buy this book.

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:07:46 PM »

http://*******.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1951765,00.html

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »

Yep, watch BOR asking for the boycott last night and I agreed with his idea.

Course I wouldn't watch the interview anyway because of my dislike for OJ.

Guess time will tell if Murdoch or Regan have stubbed their toes on this one.
JerseyMom
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:27:15 PM »

Looks like Fox might just get the message:
"....Advertisers were reported to be avoiding the ad tie in for the scheduled airing Nov. 27 and 29 on Fox Broadcasting. Fox affiliates across the country told the network they would not carry the special."
http://people.monstersandcritics.com/article_1223859.php/Fox_backlash_against_Murdoch_over_O.J._Simpson_mess
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 08:44:09 PM »

Yes, Judith Regan has been a battered woman. I saw on TV that she said it's a type of catharsis for her to publish this book.

OJ's murder of Nicole and Ron Goldman was a horrible scene.  I remember waiting five days (out of respect) to drive over there with my daughter to check out the front of the condo.  On TV, the crime scene looked vast but in person, it took place in a very small walkway.  The yellow police tape was up and police were waving cars by, not letting them slow down to gawk. We slowed down anyway. Several days later, we drive up the alley and got out of the car to examine the back gate.  We also drove by OJ's house on Rockingham and gawked some more.

I watched on TV the OJ Bronco car chase on Los Angeles freeways. When the verdict was read, my entire company was gathered in the conference room in front of the TV. I was upset my boss was jumping up and down with glee at the verdict. He said, "I know he did it but he got away with it."

I lost respect for my boss and later lost my job. I got another job for $5K more per year.

On the drive by and the examination of the back gate, I don't know how OJ himself could have killed two people. He had an accomplice.  I think the police, Van Adder, specifically, covered it up.

Yes, they are looking for a loop hole wherein they can try OJ in another venue, as Carnut says ... perhaps a Federal murder charge in the case.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 05:40:34 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Yes, Judith Regan has been a battered woman. I saw on TV that she said it's a type of catharsis for her to publish this book.

OJ's murder of Nicole and Ron Goldman was a horrible scene.  I remember waiting five days (out of respect) to drive over there with my daughter to check out the front of the condo.  On TV, the crime scene looked vast but in person, it took place in a very small walkway.  The yellow police tape was up and police were waving cars by, not letting them slow down to gawk. We slowed down anyway. Several days later, we drive up the alley and got out of the car to examine the back gate.  We also drove by OJ's house on Rockingham and gawked some more.

I watched on TV the OJ Bronco car chase on Los Angeles freeways. When the verdict was read, my entire company was gathered in the conference room in front of the TV. I was upset my boss was jumping up and down with glee at the verdict. He said, "I know he did it but he got away with it."

I lost respect for my boss and later lost my job. I got another job for $5K more per year.

On the drive by and the examination of the back gate, I don't know how OJ himself could have killed two people. He had an accomplice.  I think the police, Van Adder, specifically, covered it up.

Yes, they are looking for a loop hole wherein they can try OJ in another venue, as Carnut says ... perhaps a Federal murder charge in the case.

I remember too Louise when the verdict was being read , I brought in a little tv just to watch , and soon the whole office gathered around my little black and white 13 inch tv as well.

All of my coworkers just sorta dropped their jaws in amazement and disbelief and my boss just could not believe he got away with it, but there were no expressions of glee. Just disbelief.

Thanks once again for sharing your story....
Have a great day...

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 03:33:03 PM »

FOX CANCELS O.J. SIMPSON INTERVIEW AND WILL NOT PUBLISH HIS BOOK, CALLING IT AN 'ILL-CONSIDERED PROJECT'

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 03:36:31 PM »

Quote from: "Jacqueline"
FOX CANCELS O.J. SIMPSON INTERVIEW AND WILL NOT PUBLISH HIS BOOK, CALLING IT AN 'ILL-CONSIDERED PROJECT'

Oh really? Gotta wonder who or what actually pulled the plug?

I continue to stand with the girl.
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 04:12:54 PM »

Nov. 20, 2006, 2:58PM
O.J. Simpson Book, TV Special Canceled

By DAVID BAUDER AP Television Writer
© 2006 The Associated Press

TOOLS
Email  Get section feed  
Print  Subscribe NOW  
NEW YORK — After a firestorm of criticism, News. Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and television special "If I Did It."
"I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project," said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. "We are sorry for any pain that his has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson."

A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before the Nov. 30 publication of the book by ReganBooks. The publishing house is a HarperCollins imprint owned _ like the Fox network _ by News Corp.

In the projects, Simpson speaks in hypothetical terms about how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife Nicole and her friend Goldman.

Relatives of the victims have lashed out at the now scuttled publication and broadcast plans.

"He destroyed my son and took from my family Ron's future and life. And for that I'll hate him always and find him despicable," Fred Goldman told ABC last week.

The industry trade publication Broadcasting & Cable editorialized against the show Monday, saying "Fox should cancel this evil sweeps stunt."

One of the nation's largest superstore chains, Borders Group Inc., said last week it would donate any profits on the book to charity.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder in a case that became its own television drama. The former football star and announcer was later found liable for the deaths in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the Goldman family.

Judith Regan, publisher of "If I Did It," said she considered the book to be Simpson's confession.

The television special was to air on two of the final three nights of the November sweeps, when ratings are watched closely to set local advertising rates. It has been a particularly tough fall for Fox, which has seen none of its new shows catch on and is waiting for the January bows of "American Idol" and "24."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power to the People... Wink

Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 04:57:23 PM »

I wonder, will he still get the money?

Whether they were funneling it to his children, Florida real estate, or whatever other despicable deal they connived to screw the Goldmans once again, I hope this entire deal is off.  Something tells me he will still see some  money out of this if he has a contract.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 08:52:58 PM »

Apparently, FOX Broadcasting got so many emails and phone calls, etc. Rupert Murdoch pulled the plug. Shep Smith said today "If you think your voice cannot be heard, take heart from this case. It was your voice that caused the cancellation."

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »

Standard publishing contracts call for a percentage of an author’s advance, usually up to 50 percent, to be paid when a contract is signed, and for the remainder to be paid when the finished book is accepted by the publisher. The executive said that Mr. Simpson’s book is covered by a standard publishing contract.

In an interview last week, Judith Regan, the publisher, said her imprint, ReganBooks, which is owned by HarperCollins, had signed a contract with “a manager who represents a third party” who owned the rights to Mr. Simpson’s account.

Because News Corporation and ReganBooks decided on their own to cancel the book and the television special, that money is likely to still have to be paid.

^ From NY TIMES

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »

Apparently Murdoch and Regan actually have found the base level of common decency in this country, I'm almost amazed.
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 08:39:28 PM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
Apparently Murdoch and Regan actually have found the base level of common decency in this country, I'm almost amazed.

Actually if they were truly decent they never would have backed this idea in the first place.

They got skeered of the backlash and now are doing the back peddle shuffle....

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 08:58:14 PM »

Quote from: "Jacqueline"
Quote from: "Carnut"

Actually if they were truly decent they never would have backed this idea in the first place.

They got skeered of the backlash and now are doing the back peddle shuffle....

That's kinda what I ment, didn't mean Murdoch and Regan had any decency, but that they actually found something that was too indecent for the public and the public let them know it.
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 06:30:51 AM »

O.J. book dead but accusations still alive
By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A day after News Corp. scuttled an O.J. Simpson book and TV interview about the murder of his ex-wife, her sister accused the company on Tuesday of offering her family "hush money" to keep quiet about the controversial project.

News Corp. acknowledged offering proceeds from the aborted book and television special to relatives of Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend, Ronald Goldman, who were stabbed and slashed to death on June 12, 1994.

But contrary to assertions by Simpson's former sister-in-law, Denise Brown, company spokesman Andrew Butcher insisted there were "no strings attached to our offer."

"And there was certainly no suggestion by us that either of the families would be barred from talking about the issue," Butcher told Reuters. "We know that they would never agree to something like that."

Appearing on NBC's "Today" program, Brown took a more cynical view of News Corp.'s proposition.

"They wanted to offer us millions of dollars, millions of dollars for, like 'Oh, I'm sorry' money. But they were still going to air the show," she said. "We just thought ... what they're trying to do is keep us quiet, trying to make this like hush money ... giving us this money to keep our mouths shut."

She added that her family had rebuffed News Corp.'s offer. Representatives for Goldman's family could not immediately be reached for comment.

Butcher, who declined to quantify the offer, suggested that News Corp.'s intent was merely an attempt to do the right thing.

'NEVER GOING TO BE HAPPY'

"I don't want to say it was to keep them happy, because they were never going to be happy," he said. "The families had made it clear that they weren't happy with the project. We were looking at ways to help them. Instead we've all agreed to stop the project altogether."

The revelation of News Corp.'s financial overtures to the victims' families was the latest wrinkle in an ill-fated publishing and TV venture that sparked a hail of criticism suggesting News Corp. was seeking to exploit a human tragedy for profit.

In a rare move for the chief executive of an international media conglomerate, News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch himself announced on Monday that he was pulling the plug on the book and TV interview, in which Simpson offered a hypothetical account of how he would have killed his ex-wife and Goldman.

The former football star and TV pitchman has always maintained his innocence and was acquitted in 1995 of charges he committed the murders.

But a civil court jury in 1997 found him liable for the deaths and awarded the victims' families $33.5 million (17.6 million pounds) in damages, which Simpson has vowed never to voluntarily pay. Little of the judgment has ever been collected.

Simpson's new book, titled "If I Did It," was originally due to go on sale on November 30, preceded by the two-part, Fox network TV interview of Simpson conducted by his publisher, Judith Regan, whose HarperCollins imprint, like Fox, is a unit of News Corp.

In addition to a public outcry over the book and Fox special, News Corp. faced mounting resistance to the project from its TV affiliates and advertisers, while a number of booksellers planned to either boycott the book or donate proceeds to charity.

Despite widespread speculation that the taped interview and manuscript of Simpson's book would ultimately surface elsewhere, Butcher said News Corp. had no intention of making either of them public.

"We've recalled all the copies (of the book) that were shipped to retailers, and we'll be destroying them, and any copies that were printed," he said.

(c) Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

This article: http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1728722006

Last updated: 22-Nov-06 06:50 GMT

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 10:22:27 PM »

Kill Fee

In a weird twist to the 'If I Did It' saga, ABC had to pay News Corp. some $1 million when it decided not to do a Barbara Walters interview with O. J. Simpson.

By Johnnie L. Roberts
Newsweek
Updated: 1:34 p.m. PT Nov 28, 2006

Nov. 28, 2006 - The O.J. Simpson book debacle seemed like an unmitigated disaster for media mogul Rupert Murdoch and his maverick publisher Judith Regan. In fact, Murdoch’s empire had reaped a financial windfall before the embarrassed mogul canceled pub­lication of the “If I Did It.” Newsweek has learned that ABC's Barbara Walters had explored so seriously the idea of doing a Simpson interview to promote the book that when she balked at proceeding, ABC's Entertainment division had to pay Mur­doch’s publishing arm a “kill fee” of as much as $1 million.

Kill fees are common in the publishing industry and in Hollywood. Typically, such a fee is paid after a prospective buyer has made a good-faith commitment to a project (although not necessarily signed a contract) before ultimately rejecting the content.

None of the people familiar with the ABC/News Corp. dealings would discuss the matter on the record for fear of anger­ing their employers. Both News Corp. and ABC are bound by non-disclosure agreements barring either party from discussing their negotiations. In a carefully nuanced statement to NEWSWEEK, ABC said, “We ultimately decided that this project was not in our best interest to pursue, and any conversations we had with Regan­ Books after this conclusion was reached were purely relationship based and confidential.”

The payment is part of an intriguing subplot to the latest O.J. scandal. The book was supposed to be published by the Re­ganBooks imprint of Murdoch’s Harper­Collins book division. But describing it as “ill-conceived,” Murdoch canceled publication last week after an explosion of public outrage. Regan had billed the tome as a “confession” by Simpson to the 1994 murder of his wife Nicole Brown-Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman. Simpson, who has since denied that he confessed in the book, was acquitted of murder charges in 1996, though he was subsequently found liable for their deaths in a civil case.

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.