March 28, 2024, 08:59:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Al Gore & Green-industry gets rich from carbon laws, working man loses?  (Read 2656 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 07, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »

...For a snapshot of the government and business interests intertwined in the rise of green capitalism, consider Al Gore. He's getting rich from environmentalism...

But Gore is also chairman of a greeninvestment firm called Generation Investment Management, which is a member of the Copenhagen Climate Council, an international collaboration of businesses and science bodies, and which invests in firms that produce renewable energy and low-carbon technology. So Gore uses one of his multimillion-dollar organisations, the Alliance for Climate Protection, to put pressure on government to promote the low-carbon lifestyle that will furnish one of his other multimillion-dollar organisations, General Investment Management, with booming business.

...President Barack Obama has spoken of a "green revolution" and spending $US150 billion to create five million "green-collar" jobs...

Who get's those five million jobs?  Will it be from those lucky enough to be part of the 'job bank' I've read about? 

Yet the international evidence suggests the attempt to create green jobs will hamper economic recovery. Obama cited Spain as a country where green jobs have improved economic matters. In fact, according to a study by a professor of economics at Juan Carlos University in Madrid, for every green job created by the Spanish government in recent years, an average of 2.2 other jobs were destroyed to make way for it. Furthermore, green jobs tend not to be permanent; in Spain, only 1 in 10 green jobs exists for a significant period.

...Gordon Brown announced in April that he would create 400,000 green jobs and a "low-carbon economy".

Yet his figures don't add up. The Brown government imagines that by 2015 it will have created 39,600 new jobs in geothermal energy, 74,900 in the development of alternative fuels, 25,300 in solar power and 69,300 in the construction of wind turbines. Yet, as a result of Britain's debilitating crisis of credit, the renewables industry, in which tens of thousands of new jobs are apparently going to be created, is in a dire state....As journalist Christopher Booker argues, Brown's "green revolution" is "babyish make-believe".

Far from ushering in a brighter future, the green-industrial complex's activities hinder economic experimentation, individual initiative and human aspiration. Theirs is a recipe for economic stagnation rather than recovery and for a new form of politics dominated by an elite green clique and closed off to us mere mortals.

I agree.  Innovation is lost to political profits.  jmho

read more here - http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25724257-7583,00.html

Job loss, higher costs for consumers and the unemployed...where's the upside?  Is global warming a farce?  Another ponzi or get rich quick scheme for politicians?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »

News from Aruba and Valero -

Valero's big message for you
Loath to break its own big mold, Valero spoke out in a very big way against Washington's design of the "cap and trade" initiative as envisioned by the Waxman-Markey bill passed by the House of Representatives last month. Valero Chairman and CEO Bill Klesse called cap and trade "a hidden tax" that will "significantly raise the consumer price of gasoline and other fuels." He added that "more than a million high-paying jobs will disappear from our already weakened economy, with no measurable improvement in global climate change."

Impacts of the legislation would obviously vary by company, and despite a recent foray into ethanol production, it seems Valero is not expecting to be a beneficiary the way coal miner Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU) might. So maybe Valero's concern isn't wholly altruistic.

read more here - http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2009/07/29/valero-would-like-to-cap-and-trade-its-losses.aspx

There is also talk of maintenance.  Perhaps they will find evidence of Natalee in there somewhere.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:49:35 PM »

...Take the cap-and-trade bill, for example. How would this bill benefit "the people?" President Obama is so proud of this bill he calls it, "... my plan of a cap-and- trade system ..."

But who really benefits?

Giant investment bank Goldman Sachs desperately wants this bill to pass in the Senate. The firm spent $3.5 million last year to lobby for it.

Goldman Sachs owns a 10 percent stake in the Chicago Climate Exchange, where the carbon credits will be traded. They also own a minority stake in Blue Source LLC, a Utah-based firm that sells carbon credits that will be in demand if the bill passes. Goldman Sachs could rake in $1 trillion a year in the carbon market.

And guess what, Ms. Villemez? Goldman Sachs donated $981,000 to Obama's presidential campaign, his biggest private donor. Goldman Sachs gave the Democratic Party $4,452,585 in the last election. You connect the dots. Yes, Goldman Sachs and other big corporations will make a windfall in Obama's cap= and-trade scheme, and "the people" will get to pay higher utility rates.

--GORDON FRETTEM / Las Cruces

http://www.scsun-news.com/ci_12975014

What value does Goldman or the Chicago Climate Exchange add to stopping pollution?  Greenhouse gasses?  They seem to collect money, but don't really make a difference.  Why not do something innovative and save everyone some money?  Cut out the middle man (Chicago Climate Exchange)?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.